Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does TAPS Fake Their Evidence?

Korbus

Oh, and by the way....where the heck are all the angry loudmouths I was hoping to see show up on this thread defending everything TAPS does? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad so many others who read my original post have similar thoughts or, at least, can see where I'm coming from. But I honestly felt like there would be some irrational and willfully ignorant people out there hellbent on arguing all night. I guess I was wrong. Or maybe those types just don't stay up until 3:30AM on message boards?

My dad was right. I really AM a loser. Boo hoo hooooooo.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Korbus

• JustNormal

• The Paranormal Skeptic

• Radian

Oh, and by the way....where the heck are all the angry loudmouths I was hoping to see show up on this thread defending everything TAPS does? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad so many others who read my original post have similar thoughts or, at least, can see where I'm coming from. But I honestly felt like there would be some irrational and willfully ignorant people out there hellbent on arguing all night. I guess I was wrong. Or maybe those types just don't stay up until 3:30AM on message boards?

My dad was right. I really AM a loser. Boo hoo hooooooo.

I was inclined to say no, they don't fake their footage, but the problems look pretty serious.

Show me what looks like fraud and I immediately look for motive and opportunity before I give it any further thought. Sadly, both are all too present here.

As for opportunity, there is no scientific protocol here, despite their using the word "science" every five minutes. For heaven's sake, they even frontload their observations by doing a guided tour beforehand. It's like an anti-protocol, the complete opposite of "blind" anything.

And as for motive, well, it's show biz, after all.

Maybe investigators will take this as an opportunity to learn what science is and to do it.

Remember! the only reason a programme is aired in the first place is to make money. This steers the broadcasting company to edit or change the footage, for the best possible effects they can show. If monetary value is always first and foremost, they just cant help changing the show to try and get the best audience number.

I am not saying that the original intent by the TAPS team is not honourable and trustworthy, but the final cut for the show is decided by committee, and entirely out of their hands

How many of you investigators out there have spent countless hours out in the field, with little or no worthy results?.

The only problem with this 'massaging' of evidence, is that it empirically brings everything else into disrepute. <_<

Edited by Barron

In that vein, why is it that EVPs aren't ever recorded on the production crew's audio? We should be able to hear the EVPs as the show is running, but all they ever capture are real sounds which were heard at the time. EVPs are questionable as it is, because you can't see what's making them, but how can we believe any of them on there now?

That is a good point.

Here in the UK we're way behind what's being televised in the States, we're on fairly early episodes and I don't think these are being faked. I'm impressed by the number of shows where they turn around and say "sorry, we didn't get anything" - in 12 months time I'll probably seek out this thread and say "yeah... I see what you mean, fakers!!". ^_^ But for now, I'm impressed.

I will point out, in their defense, that if they have bad nights and get nothing, those would be cut in production of course. So, I'd expect to see everything they got in the hour the show runs.

But, that does not address the other points raised here.

Another point is that apparition with the 2 on his shoulder seemingly, afterwards I remember reading where they said it was not real, and they'd not been as up on the thermal imaging camera as they got after that incident. Perhaps it is the production company that seems to want to forget that and keep showing it when they were shocked and hadn't realized yet what they were actually seeing. I am willing to allow them that part of their learning curve, too.

As for that EVP of the Princess.... man, if I got a live reply like that, I'd have sat my backside down and talked until the cows came home or as long as I got replies LOL. There wouldn't have been any near yawn and well, let's go and check somewhere else attitude :). I did not like the Manson episode and I am finding that this season especially seems to have a total different feel to it than the earlier seasons. More.... hype or advertising sort of for the "clients". Being haunted is hip, and they all ask that before the end. "So, would you say this place is haunted?"

For a few thousand... ?

NS

I believe the stuff is faked, I have heard with my own ears Jason say "Sci-Fi lets you see what sci-fi wants you to see" that is from the mouth of the founder/lead investigator. That tells me one thing, the network is faking stuff. This is television guys, they are under contract, if they didnt "find" stuff the ratings would drop, and I don’t think Sci Fi cares about this ghost hunting community so why not fake stuff. Why wouldn’t TAPS quit because of it? Because they are finally getting paid for what they love doing. Maybe it is not TAPS faking it but the network itself. Either way TAPS should still be held accountable because they obviously know what is going on.

Edited by Black_Swamp_Paranormal

Something tells me that they do not ... even though my other voice is telling me that I am crazy. It would be easy to do ... though I have seen an episode or two in which they came up empty and it was boring.

Maybe from time to time they would have to for ratings or stick extra's in when evidence is discovered ... make a note to think about the scooby doo effect, as you can never trust others outside your team.

I've never seen an episode, but i think a lot of paranormal shows may fake their evidence to get ratings, the tv network probably dont think it would be interesting to watch a group of people sitting silently in a room for hours waiting for something to happen. But as I said I've never seen an episode so I cant really say that much.

I think that there are far too many people involved with the show now for them to get away with intentionally faking things. Surely someone would have ratted them out by now. Be it a camera man, sound man, or perhaps an angry ex-employee looking to make a buck.

Like I said it may not be them (TAPS), but the network itself. the show isnt called TAPS, its called Ghosthunters, which sci fi owns. whatever the network wants the network gets.

I think that there are far too many people involved with the show now for them to get away with intentionally faking things. Surely someone would have ratted them out by now. Be it a camera man, sound man, or perhaps an angry ex-employee looking to make a buck.

Not while the series is running they could be under certain contracts. I dont know about you but i wouldnt want to get sued by a multi million dollar network just to say "no man that show is fake."

I, too, want to believe they don't tamper with evidence.

Keep searching the web and you will find there are plenty of sites agreeing with you, that something suspicious is going on.

Be warned, if you dig deep enough...you'll be disappointed in what you read/watch.

Here are a few sites that argue the point...someone involved with GH is tampering.

I know I was very disappointed. I want to believe in the show.

http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showforum=146

http://www.skepticalanalysis.com/

http://ghosthuntersplayground.yuku.com/for...iscussions.html

I recommend this one....

http://www.darkrealmlabs.com/scifi/

~Az

Perfect picture, this clip of Grant was taken in the morgue, where they saw the "soldier with the hat" was caught. The similarities are to close to be considered evidence of the paranormal in my eyes. But hey that’s just my opinion.

post-68572-1211376705_thumb.jpg

I think all you need to know about the show is summed up in the little plumbing scenes they do.

We have Grant and Jason, doing their 'roto-rooter' gig, and the phone rings, invariably from someone at TAPS HQ with a great ghost lead.

First of all, plumbers are usually paid by the hour, so it would p*** me off, as a customer, that they are doing 'personal business' on my dime...but more importantly...

You don't think the film crew just follows these plumbers around all day, do you? Obviously, the scenes are fake, planned out, most likely scripted. All for 'dramatic license'.

So, what's stopping them from 'setting up' other things, all in the name of good tv?

Don't get me wrong, they seem like great guys, the show is fun, and enjoyable. But, to confuse any of this with 'actual events' seems a bit childish. It is a 'docu-drama', nothing more...reality tv, with some dramatic flair.

They do come up with 'unexplainable' things from time to time, but I do think they are cheating on some of it. Unexplainable however does not always equal paranormal.

And it's easy to make them look credible. Take that 'queen mary' incident. Where the bed unmakes itself. Totally busted by one of the 'diligent' members of the TAPS team. That follows a very nice formula however too. For every few 'creepy' episodes, have one where they debunk something. That seems to make credibility soar! But, it seems to be a bit too convenient and scripted to me. Hell, I thought of it, and I'm no TV producer!

The show is fun and creepy ENTERTAINMENT, not hard scientific evidence.

Edited by supervike

I think all you need to know about the show is summed up in the little plumbing scenes they do.

We have Grant and Jason, doing their 'roto-rooter' gig, and the phone rings, invariably from someone at TAPS HQ with a great ghost lead.

First of all, plumbers are usually paid by the hour, so it would p*** me off, as a customer, that they are doing 'personal business' on my dime...but more importantly...

You don't think the film crew just follows these plumbers around all day, do you? Obviously, the scenes are fake, planned out, most likely scripted. All for 'dramatic license'.

So, what's stopping them from 'setting up' other things, all in the name of good tv?

Don't get me wrong, they seem like great guys, the show is fun, and enjoyable. But, to confuse any of this with 'actual events' seems a bit childish. It is a 'docu-drama', nothing more...reality tv, with some dramatic flair.

They do come up with 'unexplainable' things from time to time, but I do think they are cheating on some of it. Unexplainable however does not always equal paranormal.

And it's easy to make them look credible. Take that 'queen mary' incident. Where the bed unmakes itself. Totally busted by one of the 'diligent' members of the TAPS team. That follows a very nice formula however too. For every few 'creepy' episodes, have one where they debunk something. That seems to make credibility soar! But, it seems to be a bit too convenient and scripted to me. Hell, I thought of it, and I'm no TV producer!

The show is fun and creepy ENTERTAINMENT, not hard scientific evidence.

Exactly, also another thing you may remember on the show TAPS seemed like they were the ones who set up GHI and all for it, like it was affiliate with them. In reality and this is fact, Jason and Grant had no part in GHI truth be told they were 100% against it, (it is also to my understanding, GHI were allowed to mention Ghost Hunters but not TAPS, hmmm I wonder why.) it was a spin off to keep ratings high until the next season of Ghost hunters came back. People seem to think Jason and Grant have a say in what goes on when dealing with the network, no they don’t, they get told what to do, it’s not the other way around.

Edited by Black_Swamp_Paranormal

As the seasons go by, you do notice that there seems to be less descretion used in the cases and more jumping onto events as being evidence of hauntings.

I would like to see a investigation of Dudleytown or Adams, TN at the location of the Bell haunting.

Taps used to go to people's homes to investigate and that is the reason why they didn't find much evidence. Now they are going to well-known haunted hotels, old non-functionng prisons, and etc. They will find more evidence there rather than going to a regular people's homes that only wants to be on tv. I'm really liking the way Taps are going and I find them to be very honest in what they are doing. I'd be devastated if I were to find out they are faking all this.

Taps used to go to people's homes to investigate and that is the reason why they didn't find much evidence. Now they are going to well-known haunted hotels, old non-functionng prisons, and etc. They will find more evidence there rather than going to a regular people's homes that only wants to be on tv. I'm really liking the way Taps are going and I find them to be very honest in what they are doing. I'd be devastated if I were to find out they are faking all this.

Just because the places they go to are well known haunted locations, I find it very convenient they are there the day something paranormal happens. Hauntings don't work when you want them to, but they seem to work when TAPS wants them to.

Perfect picture, this clip of Grant was taken in the morgue, where they saw the "soldier with the hat" was caught. The similarities are to close to be considered evidence of the paranormal in my eyes. But hey that’s just my opinion.

Dude that is exactly what I am talking about. I noticed that right away and I CAN NOT believe they accepted that.

Just because the places they go to are well known haunted locations, I find it very convenient they are there the day something paranormal happens. Hauntings don't work when you want them to, but they seem to work when TAPS wants them to.

I see your point. Who's to say that they have gone to some places and didn't find one single evidence? Do you think they would air that? I wouldn't think they would. I have to think they are going to air the ones that actually have something to show. The shows are filmed like six months ago before airing it and they can weed out whatever they want. On Halloween, they investigate live and I remember two years ago they didn't have any evidence. Last year, they added some people with a wrestler I believe, and had only a sound and someone thinking they saw a ghost as weak evidence.

What I find odd and worrying is how episode after episode of the current season keeps bringing more and more amazing evidence. It's a bit suspicious but I have a feeling it's just that Sci Fi has been working hard to get them into the best possible places for investigations.

You are so right! I was just thinking that the other day, when the show 1st came on it was maybe 1 show out of 3 or 4 that they "found" something. Now all of the sudden almost every episode something major happens.

It made me wonder if at first they maybe started out legit, but over time for Ratings they have been forced into faking evidence to keep the show interesting?

And another question, does Jason and Grant still really work at Rotor Rooter? I’m sure they are getting paid good money from the Sci-Fi channel to quit their "day job"

I see your point. Who's to say that they have gone to some places and didn't find one single evidence? Do you think they would air that? I wouldn't think they would. I have to think they are going to air the ones that actually have something to show. The shows are filmed like six months ago before airing it and they can weed out whatever they want. On Halloween, they investigate live and I remember two years ago they didn't have any evidence. Last year, they added some people with a wrestler I believe, and had only a sound and someone thinking they saw a ghost as weak evidence.

This is my point, the first couple season they maybe claimed 2 to 3 places haunted. Now every episode the places are haunted, with minimal evidence. Jason went from having to see a ghost to claim something haunted to claiming a haunting from nothing more then a below standard EVP. Something isn’t right, I don’t blame TAPS I think it’s the network.

And another question, does Jason and Grant still really work at Rotor Rooter? I’m sure they are getting paid good money from the Sci-Fi channel to quit their "day job"

No I believe they have a contract stating they could come back at anytime though. Also I believe Roto Rooter sponsors them as well.

:hmm: Well I hope they aren't faking evidence. And yes, I too have wondered about when it shows them at work

for Roto-Rooter and they just happen to have a camera man along. However the calls might be real,think they went to a Holiday Inn one time to do some work.

Didn't see the Queen Mary episode.I heard that supposedly someone from TAPS faked the deal with the bed sheets

and they were no longer with TAPS.Someone,whether on this forum asked if it was Andy Andrews, since he was there,then gone and now he's with GHI and so is Brian,though I think Brian also does TAPS.Whatever you think of Brian,he loves TAPS and I don't think he would go and fake evidence which would hurt them.

Yeah I heard,maybe at TAPS forum too that Jason and Grant were very reluctant to have anything to do with Ghost Hunters International.

I did enjoy their visit to Ireland and England when TAPS went to Leap Castle, Lisheen Ruins and the Hell Fire Caves.

The evidence they got on that trip wasn't faked. When Dustin got nailed by the elemental and picked up and slammed down,that was real.Also,when Dustin is talking to Tango and they are outside and he says he feels sick,you can hear a man's laugh.I DONOT think it was any of the sound or camera crew. Who or what it was I don't know, but it is there.

And it was caught on audio by the SCI-FI people, but no mention is made of it at the reveal.

In past shows which my sister has taped for me, they did peoples homes as well.I guess SCI-FI decided that they could get more stuff on tape if they went to a place like Eastern State Prision or the USS Lexington or wherever.

As you say,you can't turn it on and off like a faucet. A place like Waverley Hills would be better to investigate from the network's view point than somebody's home. There might be paranormal activity there on a daily or constant basis ,unlike in someone's home.

Well, prepare to be devastated.