Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does TAPS Fake Their Evidence?

Korbus

Re-creating the plumbing sequences and creating or faking evidence are not even in the same league with eachother. I think pretty much everyone knows that they aren't plumbers anymore. Those scenes are pretty obviously being acted out (and quite poorly, I might add). They just use those scenes to carry the show along. They aren't trying to fool anyone. Using that as an excuse to say they are faking their evidence is just plain stupid. Come on, now. Just because it's on TV doesn not automatically make it 100% fake. I have no doubt that Sci-Fi may stretch out the reality of certain things they come across, but I have no reason to believe that TAPS would ever purposely decieve their audience or their clients.

I think the overall point of that post is just to say that "Reality TV" is not necessarily always reality. I don't believe he was saying that by faking the plumbing scenes they are faking evidence. I know he has stated before that if any evidence is tampered with, it would be the network doing it, not TAPS. There is no reason for name-calling here, Shakezulah. I am trying to keep this thread devoid of personal attacks or petty bickering as much as possible. Please be respectful.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Korbus

• JustNormal

• The Paranormal Skeptic

• Radian

I think the overall point of that post is just to say that "Reality TV" is not necessarily always reality. I don't believe he was saying that by faking the plumbing scenes they are faking evidence. I know he has stated before that if any evidence is tampered with, it would be the network doing it, not TAPS. There is no reason for name-calling here, Shakezulah. I am trying to keep this thread devoid of personal attacks or petty bickering as much as possible. Please be respectful.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

If you could directly quote me where I made any sort of disrespectful remark or personal attack in that post, that'd be great.

Using that as an excuse to say they are faking their evidence is just plain stupid.

There.

Sorry, but I don't see how that relates to name calling or any sort of personal attack. Saying that because they fake the plumbing scenes gives them more of a possibility to fake their evidence is not a solid basis for coming to that conclusion...which makes it kind of stupid. I'm not calling anyone anything.

Sorry, but I don't see how that relates to name calling or any sort of personal attack. Saying that because they fake the plumbing scenes gives them more of a possibility to fake their evidence is not a solid basis for coming to that conclusion...which makes it kind of stupid. I'm not calling anyone anything.

Okay, fine. But using that as an excuse for saying stupid is not being disrespectful is just plain stupid.

I would love to see what people think Jason Hawse meant by his statement "You see what Sci Fi wants you to see."

Okay, fine. But using that as an excuse for saying stupid is not being disrespectful is just plain stupid.

Whatever dude....it's not my fault if someone makes a weak argument. Someone's gotta call them out on it.

I would love to see what people think Jason Hawse meant by his statement "You see what Sci Fi wants you to see."

I think that pretty much sums up what most of this thread has been about. Could mean they are not showing everything TAPS finds, could mean that they are showing more or presenting things differently than how they were originally done. Probably both. I definately believe that TAPS has found a lot more than what Sci-Fi has showed us.

Because it seemed to me that you and another of your team members were being negative. That's why. Below are all quotes from you guys, not even all of them, but a sampling of two people from the same organization bashing another organization. Calling them liars, out-right frauds and fakes, questioning their integrity and motivations.

And when I question your motivations, you start on ME about my quote, and claim I make no sense.

Sorry, I saw you and your partners attack on the TAPS guys as negativity. And while agree that they and the show they are in are not perfect, I think it takes a lot of gall to claim they are frauds and lying about evidence outright.

What motivates YOU to call them out?

Huh. Stateing the truth is now negativity.

Or it could mean they show stuff that isn't paranormal and pass it off as paranormal.

Whatever dude....it's not my fault if someone makes a weak argument. Someone's gotta call them out on it.

I know, I felt your argument was weak, too. That's why I called you out on it. He was saying that just because something is "reality tv" doesn't make it all reality. That's all. Look up a few posts, I explained it.

Or it could mean they show stuff that isn't paranormal and pass it off as paranormal.

Or things they THOUGHT were paranormal but later discovered weren't. If they re-analyze evidence and come to the conclusion that it's not paranormal before the final version of the episode is finished and aired, I highly doubt they would include it. TAPS would not straight up lie to their clients faces, especially since they are there to help people more than anything.

Or things they THOUGHT were paranormal but later discovered weren't. If they re-analyze evidence and come to the conclusion that it's not paranormal before the final version of the episode is finished and aired, I highly doubt they would include it. TAPS would not straight up lie to their clients faces, especially since they are there to help people more than anything.

But wouldnt this still be decieving to clients and fans?

But wouldnt this still be decieving to clients and fans?

And even if they went back to the clients, it’s still deceitful to fans of the show, and if the network doesn’t want to address that, than like I have said all along IT’S THE NETWORK, NOT TAPS.

I can agree with this in principle. My argument would be that yes, we are all humans and make mistakes. Can't fault them for a simple mistake. However, with over 15 years experience, they have to cut down on the BIG mistakes, ya know? They should be even more analytical after all these years and not fall so easily for things like thermal reflections or what I feel have been marginal EVPs at times. Just my opinion, though.

How would it still be decieving if they discovered something AFTER the original airing of the show? They might not completely re-edit the episode, but they will say somewhere what the situation was. They have their own radio show, they do a lot of interviews, etc. And don't you think that they would contact their client again and tell them about it? They probably keep in touch with more of their clients than most people think, and re-investigate places a lot. Just because it doesn't show up on an episode or it is publicly announced by Sci-Fi or otherwise doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Edited by Shakezulah

How would it still be decieving if they discovered something AFTER the original airing of the show? They might not completely re-edit the episode, but they will say somewhere what the situation was. They have their own radio show, they do a lot of interviews, etc. And don't you think that they would contact their client again and tell them about it? They probably keep in touch with more of their clients than most people think, and re-investigate places a lot. Just because it doesn't show up on an episode or it is publicly announced by Sci-Fi or otherwise doesn't mean it didn't happen.

If I had my own show, here's what I would do:

If I passed off a piece of evidence in an earlier episode that I later found out to be explainable, on the next episode I would issue some kind of statement or otherwise take responsibility on the episode itself. Kind of like a newspaper printing a retraction. They don't announce they messed up on the radio, or on some blog somewhere. They have to do it in a following issue.

Bottom line, if I screw up its up to me to tell the viewers directly and in the same format as that which the mistake was made in. Especially with something like the paranormal. Heck, they should not only announce it on an episode, they should shout it from the rooftops. Misinformation in this field, especially from a group as respected as TAPS, has to be dealt with thoroughly and without apprehension.

Edited by Jason KB

Ok what I am saying is it is deceitful to the fans who believe they saw something paranormal when in fact it may not be. I’m talking about what we see on the show not what possibly could have happened after the really figured out what was going on. TAPS now has a responsibility to there fans as well as clients, if not why have a television show?

Edited by Black_Swamp_Paranormal

I was watching the last few newer episodes with my wife. She really isnt into the paranormal, but indulges me and watches the show with me...She has seen quite a few episodes and enjoys the show just as long as Brian isnt on...that is a different thread though...anyway... As we watched the last several episodes of this season she made the comment to me that she thought that it was odd how "lucky" they were to catch all of the evidence they did, one show after another, when for seasons it would be hit or miss on what they would find.

She doesnt follow these guys outside of the show itself, doesnt read any forums, no books, anything like that, but it just struck her as a bit too convenient that all of a sudden they come up with some of their best experiences time and time one show right after another.

I have never met the guys, from what I see, they seem honest enough so I doubt it is a case where they knowingly do something to mislead people, but it is hard to say. It would be tough to have a paranormal television show riding on your shoulders and millions of advertising dollars at stake, money can make people do things they would normally not do...and I find it doubtful that if they were to be fudging things a bit they would admit it to anyone else under any circumstances...buddies or not, no one is going to admit something of this caliber to someone else.

Like I said, I doubt they do...they seem honest enough, they have been able to find some interesting stuff lately and they have a television show and ratings to consider so they dont dig as deep as they would otherwise when it comes to debunking because that isnt where the ratings are. If they debunked 100% of their cases, they would be off the air pretty quickly...they need the evp's and photos and clips that make peoples hair stand up in order to stay on the air...

I would definitely agree...it is certainly a very fine line they have to walk.

If I had my own show, here's what I would do:

If I passed off a piece of evidence in an earlier episode that I later found out to be explainable, on the next episode I would issue some kind of statement or otherwise take responsibility on the episode itself. Kind of like a newspaper printing a retraction. They don't announce they messed up on the radio, or on some blog somewhere. They have to do it in a following issue.

Bottom line, if I screw up its up to me to tell the viewers directly and in the same format as that which the mistake was made in. Especially with something like the paranormal. Heck, they should not only announce it on an episode, they should shout it from the rooftops. Misinformation in this field, especially from a group as respected as TAPS, has to be dealt with thoroughly and without apprehension.

Thing is, their entire seasons are edited and prepped for airing long before they even begin. Having a statement like it inserted into an already-finished episode would require for something to be taken out. You also seem to be ruling out the possibility that maybe they just don't find anything different about their evidence when they go over it again, thus still believing it may be paranormal. In fact, they question a lot of the evidence they find on the show. You know how much Jason and Grant don't like saying that a place is definately haunted. They usually still leave most things they find open for debate.

Ok what I am saying is it is deceitful to the fans who believe they saw something paranormal when in fact it may not be. I’m talking about what we see on the show not what possibly could have happened after the really figured out what was going on. TAPS now has a responsibility to there fans as well as clients, if not why have a television show?

I don't know why you would consider that to be deceitful. If they find something they consider evidence, and then realize it's not during the actual investigation or the original analysis, and THEN still air it, then it would be deceitful, but this is not the case. There have been many times they have brought up evidence that I thought was pretty questionable. But just because they believe it may be paranormal doesn't mean I'm going to, as well. I always form my own opinions on what they find. They've found EVP's where they claim that there is breathing or a voice, yet I don't hear a damn thing no matter how many times I listen to it. I don't think of something like that as deception, but rather them maybe just hearing something I'm not.

I was watching the last few newer episodes with my wife. She really isnt into the paranormal, but indulges me and watches the show with me...She has seen quite a few episodes and enjoys the show just as long as Brian isnt on...that is a different thread though...anyway... As we watched the last several episodes of this season she made the comment to me that she thought that it was odd how "lucky" they were to catch all of the evidence they did, one show after another, when for seasons it would be hit or miss on what they would find.

She doesnt follow these guys outside of the show itself, doesnt read any forums, no books, anything like that, but it just struck her as a bit too convenient that all of a sudden they come up with some of their best experiences time and time one show right after another.

I have never met the guys, from what I see, they seem honest enough so I doubt it is a case where they knowingly do something to mislead people, but it is hard to say. It would be tough to have a paranormal television show riding on your shoulders and millions of advertising dollars at stake, money can make people do things they would normally not do...and I find it doubtful that if they were to be fudging things a bit they would admit it to anyone else under any circumstances...buddies or not, no one is going to admit something of this caliber to someone else.

Like I said, I doubt they do...they seem honest enough, they have been able to find some interesting stuff lately and they have a television show and ratings to consider so they dont dig as deep as they would otherwise when it comes to debunking because that isnt where the ratings are. If they debunked 100% of their cases, they would be off the air pretty quickly...they need the evp's and photos and clips that make peoples hair stand up in order to stay on the air...

I have to agree with your wife. All the sudden activity results in evidence. I also noticed that Jay does NOT say to clients anymore " We heard about your experiences and came here in order to disprove your claims." To me, that was very condescending and might have made it seem as tho he was saying the client was lying. I also agree with your wife when it comes to Brian. That guy irritates me so bad, I cannot begin to make a list. Also the drama in which he is involved with the rest of the team, is a waste of air time. Brian ALWAYS sees a shadow but they have yet to confirm it, and complains like a little girl. The one episode in the prison I think it was, they spent at least 5-8 minutes dodging bats, then sending others in there to experience the same, and scare them half to death. Then they wonder why they didnt get any evidence? They need to go to some REAL haunted places for a time, because they would be more likely to get valid evidence, as opposed to spending 5 hours in a family's home..JMO......JN

I would definitely agree...it is certainly a very fine line they have to walk.

Why though? Either they start putting their heart and soul into this, and "maybe" spend more time at a location, and learn a new approach to get spirits to surface or they wont be on the air next year. I think, and have said all along, why not bring a psychic or medium in, simply to walk around and sense the high activity areas, and set up equipment, its worth a try. Spirits dont show up cause a bunch of people show up and use EMF detectors, or ask "did you die here?" They must realize too, that not all spirits know they are dead, so that blows that theory. Its easier to simply ask their name, tell them they need not be fearful, they just came to visit and do they have a message? But provoking and threatening i.e Brian, just makes a spirit hide and want nothing to do with them..Just my opinion..JN

The show shrinks on my schedule like water on a hot sidewalk. I agree with JN (regarding the provoking, and trying something new). The show is stale already. What happened to the fear element that gripped us when it premiered? I can almost see the scripted dialogue passing in their minds before they speak. And the dialogue itself is predictable. For petes sake...give me fright...give me night terrors...give me Hooters Girls or SOMETHING!

Nice to see you all. I'm in the middle of storm season. BBS. ~Jackal

Thing is, their entire seasons are edited and prepped for airing long before they even begin. Having a statement like it inserted into an already-finished episode would require for something to be taken out. You also seem to be ruling out the possibility that maybe they just don't find anything different about their evidence when they go over it again, thus still believing it may be paranormal. In fact, they question a lot of the evidence they find on the show. You know how much Jason and Grant don't like saying that a place is definately haunted. They usually still leave most things they find open for debate.

I don't know why you would consider that to be deceitful. If they find something they consider evidence, and then realize it's not during the actual investigation or the original analysis, and THEN still air it, then it would be deceitful, but this is not the case. There have been many times they have brought up evidence that I thought was pretty questionable. But just because they believe it may be paranormal doesn't mean I'm going to, as well. I always form my own opinions on what they find. They've found EVP's where they claim that there is breathing or a voice, yet I don't hear a damn thing no matter how many times I listen to it. I don't think of something like that as deception, but rather them maybe just hearing something I'm not.

Here's a solution: Maybe instead of the typical van ride while they talk over the case at the end of the episode...ya know, the one where Jay says, "On to the next..", they could instead insert a 30 sec. statement from Jay or Grant? Explaining that they were able to find an alternate explanation for something they deemed paranormal on the show. That would be easy, actually. And like I said, it would be like a newspaper printing a retraction. It's the responsible thing to do, quite frankly.

Why though? Either they start putting their heart and soul into this, and "maybe" spend more time at a location, and learn a new approach to get spirits to surface or they wont be on the air next year.

They spend more time at a location than they show on GH. They re-visit locations. As I mentioned before, just because it doesn't show up on the show doesn't mean it didn't happen. And they also use the methods that they know have worked for them in the past. Why should they have the prove themselves by forcefully doing something new when they already have an established fanbase because of their methods?

I think, and have said all along, why not bring a psychic or medium in, simply to walk around and sense the high activity areas, and set up equipment, its worth a try.

Because their approach to and investigation is scientific, not spiritual. And also maybe because most mediums are full of ****?

Its easier to simply ask their name, tell them they need not be fearful, they just came to visit and do they have a message? But provoking and threatening i.e Brian, just makes a spirit hide and want nothing to do with them..Just my opinion..JN

I don't get why you say this like you know exactly how all spirits think. I'm not saying you're wrong, because it obviously doesn't work in a lot of cases, but they have said themselves that it has proven to be an effective method, especially when dealing with what could possibly be a more malicious spirit. It's also mainly used as a last-resort sort of deal. I don't think they've ever done that immediately after starting the investigation.