Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Bloop and the Slow Down

Pol_Pot_will_killyou

Has anyone ever tried to figure out what The Bloop was by using prehistoric animal's fossil measurements? i.e. the way they can tell what sound a parasaurolophus made by reconstructing its bones. Is there any way to sort of, reverse-engineer what the Bloop would sound like or come from, instead of just writing it off as "bigger than a whale"?

Also the Bloop was recorded somewhere off the southwest coast of South America but where was the Slow Down recorded?

-Pol

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• Otterclaw

• Pol_Pot_will_killyou

• makaya325

Sea creatures being one of the only types of cryptid I find plausible, I would be greatly interested to hear of any attempts to discover the origins of the 'Bloop'. It is too tantalising a find to ignore; although I would rather it remains a mystery than discover it to be prosaic in origin. :)

Sea creatures being one of the only types of cryptid I find plausible, I would be greatly interested to hear of any attempts to discover the origins of the 'Bloop'. It is too tantalising a find to ignore; although I would rather it remains a mystery than discover it to be prosaic in origin. :)

why do we care about such a mystery today? the ocean im assuming is quite large, so i believe it can hold a few unknown guppies down there

I've never heard of the "Slow Down" before. What's that?

Edit: Nevermind. (:

I found this for you: Slow Down was a sound recorded on May 19, 1997 in the Equatorial Pacific ocean by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The source of the sound remains unknown.

(The Bloop sounds really mechanical to me, so honestly, I don't know what to think. It's possible there's anything down there.)

Edited by Ebonykrow

The audio of the Bloop which was posted on the net was actually sped up, not slowed down.

Thr most plausible running theory is that it's the result of geological disturbance, like a gas discharge or volcanic activty in the ocean bottom.

I'm not saying it couldn't be an unknown leviathan. But we only have the sound to go on.

I mean, if its bigger than a blue whale that has gotta only be a few known species throughout time...

If you know its massive, why cant you look at that small group of animals that were bigger than blue whales, and in indigenous to that area at some point in time, then make a somewhat guess as to which animal could have the lungs for that noise.

I just want a face to go along with the sound.

And someone please, where was the Slow Down heard at... I cant find a location for it anywhere.

-Pol

I mean, if its bigger than a blue whale that has gotta only be a few known species throughout time...

If you know its massive, why cant you look at that small group of animals that were bigger than blue whales, and in indigenous to that area at some point in time, then make a somewhat guess as to which animal could have the lungs for that noise.

I just want a face to go along with the sound.

And someone please, where was the Slow Down heard at... I cant find a location for it anywhere.

-Pol

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the blue whale is the largest animal known to have ever existed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the blue whale is the largest animal known to have ever existed.

As far as everything I can find, the blue whale is the largest known animal. (And sort of, certain recordings of a blue whale sound really similar to the Bloop--the version that isn't sped up, I guess if you're looking to make that connection.)

And Pol, I posted already where the Slow Down was found.

Edited by Ebonykrow

The blue whale is the largest marine mammal, there was bigger dinosaurs than that.

And thanks for the location.

-Pol

Only about 5% of the ocean has been explored, so practically anything could live down there, escaping the changes of evolution. Heck, there could be an underwater city for all we know. Shame we should go on exploring other planets and galaxies without paying mind to our own planet.

For those that haven't heard the Slow Down: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Down_%28...tified_sound%29

That was the easiest for me to find. I have to agree, though interesting, the Bloop really does sound mechanical. The Slow Down, however, sounds more like a really drawn out groan.

• 2 weeks later...
The blue whale is the largest marine mammal, there was bigger dinosaurs than that.

And thanks for the location.

-Pol

there could have been bigger dinosaurs, but there is no proof

average blue whale is 33metres

largest dinosaur found was supersaurus, 30 metres long

however, i found this out from a book which may be wrong, please correct me if i am wrong

Really, you'd think everyone in the Navy and science community would make a more serious-sounding and complicated name, but somehow they settled on "Bloop." Anyhow, I love the sound of Bloop, in the slow-down. The other "mechanical" noise just sounds a bit like a bubble popping. I think it would be very cool if we discovered a huge unknown animal living in the ocean.

Only about 5% of the ocean has been explored, so practically anything could live down there, escaping the changes of evolution. Heck, there could be an underwater city for all we know. Shame we should go on exploring other planets and galaxies without paying mind to our own planet.

High pressure and extremely limited nutrients mean that giant life down there is pretty much impossible. Deep sea fish are small in general and before anyone mentions giant squid they live mainly in middle depth waters and spend a lot of time in the photic zone.

They also have no skeleton to crush.

Edited by Mattshark

High pressure and extremely limited nutrients mean that giant life down there is pretty much impossible. Deep sea fish are small in general and before anyone mentions giant squid they live mainly in middle depth waters and spend a lot of time in the photic zone.

And yet we have seen hundreds of amazing creatures who can do things that we never thought could ever be possible, or have special attributes to help them do things we never even thought mattered, so why could Bloop not be one of those exceptions? And besides, is it not possible that any creature like that could be spending some time in the photic zone, as well?

Well Cthulu is supposed to have the head of an octopus. So it seems we are all in agreement

And yet we have seen hundreds of amazing creatures who can do things that we never thought could ever be possible, or have special attributes to help them do things we never even thought mattered, so why could Bloop not be one of those exceptions? And besides, is it not possible that any creature like that could be spending some time in the photic zone, as well?

Yes, but then it could not live that deep because no animal can tolerate extreme changes. Again the major issue would come from finding food. The depths have next to no nutrition and when you get deep enough no thing from the surface is available as a primary food source.

Well Cthulu is supposed to have the head of an octopus. So it seems we are all in agreement

Cthulu is also a fictional monster (H.P Lovecraft circa 1928)

Edited by Mattshark

Yes, but then it could not live that deep because no animal can tolerate extreme changes. Again the major issue would come from finding food. The depths have next to no nutrition and when you get deep enough no thing from the surface is available as a primary food source.

So, then, what do you believe Bloop is?

So, then, what do you believe Bloop is?

Genuinely have no clue, it could be a to do with tectonics, or deep sea structures. Most likely not alive though.

Could a megalodon have made that noise? Do sharks even make noise?

Don't mermaids or harpies sing songs to sailors to lure them to the depths?

It's a giant megalodon-mermaid hybrid. Case closed.

-Pol

Could a megalodon have made that noise? Do sharks even make noise?

Don't mermaids or harpies sing songs to sailors to lure them to the depths?

It's a giant megalodon-mermaid hybrid. Case closed.

-Pol

flmao

Yeah , but one major reason of why exploring other planets is important , is to find out whether any other planets can be colonized should 1 day the earth become uninhabitable . But NASA is looking for alien life WTF.

If we have never been down that deep, how do we not know that there are colonies of certain fish/whales that could be a food source? For instance, sperm whales dive that deep, so couldn't a creature like Bloop be spending a lot of time in that zone to go hunting for them? We know many whales dive down so deep that we do not know what they do down there, and perhaps one of those things could be getting eaten by a Bloop-like creature?

If we have never been down that deep, how do we not know that there are colonies of certain fish/whales that could be a food source? For instance, sperm whales dive that deep, so couldn't a creature like Bloop be spending a lot of time in that zone to go hunting for them? We know many whales dive down so deep that we do not know what they do down there, and perhaps one of those things could be getting eaten by a Bloop-like creature?

Sperm whales don't dive that deep, there is about 3km difference. We have been to the ocean floor. Everything is small and life is limited to salt lake edges and hydrothermal vents.