Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skeptics: what proof do you want?

Tannenisis

That closed minded notch works on both ends, for believers as well as skeptics alike.

I would agree with that as well. I was merely referencing the post about skeptics not wanting proof, where I can certainly see that is true in many instances....it is certainly not true in all. Because I know how open minded I am. I am actively looking for true psychics.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Korbus

• drakonwick

• Nucular

• puridalan

So, Jason, going back to Tannenisis' original question, what are you looking for in a reading that you have not found so far in what you have been offered?

Accuracy, mostly.

I was actually the first one to respond to this thread, so you can go back and see a test I proposed for psychics. It would be interesting to me to set up an experiment similar to that which I have proposed sometime. But until then, I'll stick right now to what I've been doing through the lovely, helpful people on UM.

But in the readings I've had thus far, I guess I'm looking for someone to be able to tell me specific things about myself or family, maybe, that they couldn't have found online. For instance, there's details about me on my UM profile. And on my Myspace I've written funny stories about my family. So I'm not looking for things of this nature. I'm also not looking for simple cold reading techniques or horoscope type readings that are simply too broad to be specific to one individual.

That being said, I still believe in the possibility of psychics, and have had nothing but enjoyable conversations with those who have contacted me. I appreciate their time and effort. And even if I didn't come away impressed, I did nothing to dissuade them from keeping in touch with me or trying again sometime. In fact, I am very open to that and would greatly appreciate it. Actually, I remain very friendly with a few of the people who have contacted me. We correspond here and there. It's nice.

So, yeah...I guess that's basically what I'm looking for. Some sort of specifics that they couldn't know by casual research or educated guesses. I hope this clears it up. Thank you for your response!

Edited by Jason KB

I don't have to prove anything to anyone nor do I go around shouting hey look I am a 'psychic' fact is anyone can be pyschic my mother of all people who is the worst skeptic in the world had a premonition...anyone can and no you are not some 'god' when you do have one. The mind is more complex than most humans give credit for, the subconcious highly important.

I've told people they've had brain tumors I tell people what they are thinking, feeling...because you are not trying to dig into them, they are subconciously/conciously opening themselves up to be 'read' whether they no it or not. It's taking time to be aware of your surrondings, this is not something new again anyone can do it...some better than others.

Set your ego aside and just listen that's all it takes

Everyday someone asks what can I do to better my 'abilities'

Just listen

I practically don't do any meditation, no rituals...bascially nada just let it be natural and leave it at that...and stop thinking of it as some 'mighty power'

I don't have to prove anything to anyone nor do I go around shouting hey look I am a 'psychic'

Hi puridalan, no indeed, no-one has to prove anything, unless they are asking others to accept their claims.

But I'm curious - obviously this thread's about the sorts of evidence people are able or should be able to accept in order to alter their pre-existing beliefs or world-view, and you've joined it; do you as a psychic have a view on this? You've mentioned that you don't feel a need to go around shouting about it, but does it frustrate you to come across people who will flat-out deny that you have any abilities in that direction, who will call you a fraud or mistaken?

What do you think should be the sort of evidence sceptics should accept, if any? Or is it more a matter of faith, and therefore nobody will alter their viewpoint based on rational argument?

They would probably have to be able to provide me with some kind of information I could verify that I would be confident could only be gained from first hand experience.

But I'm curious - obviously this thread's about the sorts of evidence people are able or should be able to accept in order to alter their pre-existing beliefs or world-view, and you've joined it; do you as a psychic have a view on this? You've mentioned that you don't feel a need to go around shouting about it, but does it frustrate you to come across people who will flat-out deny that you have any abilities in that direction, who will call you a fraud or mistaken?

What do you think should be the sort of evidence sceptics should accept, if any? Or is it more a matter of faith, and therefore nobody will alter their viewpoint based on rational argument?

Nucluar

At first I might of cared what others thought, because yes it does hurt when anyone thinks you're lying. Though as time went on I realized that if they wanted to believe me they would, most of the time I was so intuned with other people that I would tell them such specific things that they had no explanation for how I could be wrong. Yes, there are people willing to bash you, but I've learned that those who want to be healed will come to you, so I let the skeptics remain skeptics missing out on the essence of life in general. I used to wonder how was it possible that every human being did not feel energy racing through them, or the energy from everyone else. I assumed at an early age that everyone could do this, until later I found out no not everyone thinks the same way. So, if people want to call me a fraud so be it, but it is what it is you know.

Nucluar

At first I might of cared what others thought, because yes it does hurt when anyone thinks you're lying. Though as time went on I realized that if they wanted to believe me they would, most of the time I was so intuned with other people that I would tell them such specific things that they had no explanation for how I could be wrong. Yes, there are people willing to bash you, but I've learned that those who want to be healed will come to you, so I let the skeptics remain skeptics missing out on the essence of life in general. I used to wonder how was it possible that every human being did not feel energy racing through them, or the energy from everyone else. I assumed at an early age that everyone could do this, until later I found out no not everyone thinks the same way. So, if people want to call me a fraud so be it, but it is what it is you know.

If you are going to make any type of claim, then expect us to want proof. It wouldn't be hard to prove it if you could do, but no one wants to step up. I wonder why?Hmm. :rolleyes:

If you are going to make any type of claim, then expect us to want proof. It wouldn't be hard to prove it if you could do, but no one wants to step up. I wonder why?Hmm. :rolleyes:

Eric I've already proved it to people, I already proved it to some of my hardest critics, critics I didn't even want to confront, but I did...which means partially my family. haha None of them understood any of it, until I rolled into the picture and I thought they would think I was crazy...it took some time, but once they saw what I was doing wasn't some made up hooey, we all realized 'it is what it is'.

I can get people on camera and get them to tell you hands on what I've saw from them, but that still wouldn't be good enough...and frankly I don't care enough to debate it for 10 pages. It's not that no one wants to step up because we are lying about it. Yes, some people live lies in order to make themselves greater, but the fact is most of us try to just live our lives. One one hand I don't want to prove myself, but on the other hand I want to for the greater good of society...but if I do have to take a stand I surely will and I'll have no trouble doing it so don't you worry.

Eric I've already proved it to people, I already proved it to some of my hardest critics, critics I didn't even want to confront, but I did...which means partially my family. haha None of them understood any of it, until I rolled into the picture and I thought they would think I was crazy...it took some time, but once they saw what I was doing wasn't some made up hooey, we all realized 'it is what it is'.

I can get people on camera and get them to tell you hands on what I've saw from them, but that still wouldn't be good enough...and frankly I don't care enough to debate it for 10 pages. It's not that no one wants to step up because we are lying about it. Yes, some people live lies in order to make themselves greater, but the fact is most of us try to just live our lives. One one hand I don't want to prove myself, but on the other hand I want to for the greater good of society...but if I do have to take a stand I surely will and I'll have no trouble doing it so don't you worry.

Puridalan,

I hope you are doing well. Have you seen the thread I have made on this board? I have been asking for a reading myself. See, I am skeptical of psychic ability, but I am also open minded. In fact, I believe it is possible, I am just looking for something to push my belief into knowledge. If you would ever be open to helping me, please PM me. I can assure you I am not looking for you to validate yourself or trying to prove you wrong, etc. I am just merely curious and interested in the ability and how it works, etc.

However, I certainly understand if you are not interested and I will not keep after you to try, etc. You are your own person and can make your own decisions. I have been contacted by 4 psychics over the past week or so and have have pleasurable conversations with all of them. In fact, we still keep in touch. I just wanted to offer you the invitation.

Thank you for your time.

I think the only true proof is experience. Videos, photographs and stories have a chance of being fake, and are not reliable. By experiencing it once, you have all the proof you can ask for.

Omg!

So close with the height...

I got 5'11 first, but thought bout 5'8-5'7...But I went with my first guess xD...

And I was waaaaay off with the colors...

:mellow:

That warrants an "OMG!" ?

:huh:

:mellow:

That warrants an "OMG!" ?

:huh:

So what is the point of your comment? I am guessing, it is to discredit. If not, there is no point in your post.

So what is the point of your comment? I am guessing, it is to discredit. If not, there is no point in your post.

The point is...how the hell does that warrant an OMG?

Is that really something to "make one wonder"?

OMG! I just KNEW someone was going to get snarkey about my sarcastic comment! I must be...PSYCHIC!

You have not answered my question. I am guessing, it is to discredit

Its' to wonder at how that warrants an "OMG!"

Omg!

So close with the height...

I got 5'11 first, but thought bout 5'8-5'7...But I went with my first guess xD...

And I was waaaaay off with the colors...

So what? What the heck is Heart trying to say here? What's the OMG! for? Is he surprised at how close he got to someones height? If he guessed the height of ten people, and got one right, would that make him psychic? Sensitive? Supernatural? Or slightly more than average in luck that day? If he guessed ten peoples height a day, for a year, and ONE DAY he got all ten people right, would THAT be proof?

No need to guess, use your psychic abilities and TELL ME what the point of my comment is.

OMG!!! Such hostility here. Peace, my darlings.

Hello all. I took a trip to California and was away longer than I anticipated. However, I asked a question in another thread that was never answered. What do you want as proof? If someone here is stating that he or she is psychic, what qualifies as proof to you? Do you want an answer to a specific question or a general overview of your life? If you were met with your ideal that would conquer your skepticism, what aspects would this psychic have?

An inquiring mind would like to know.

Tangie

I think you are starting out with a misnomer here Tannensis. Basically, you can never prove your ability to 'every' skeptic, simply because what one skeptic will accept as proof, another will shoot down. There are some skeptics who will never accept any proof of abilities, whether through true belief that such abilities can't exist or through simple pigheadedness. Whether such people can be considered true skeptics or not is open to debate. Personally, I tend to feel that Jason KB has the best outlook of a true skeptic. A true skeptic should have his/her own reasons as to why they don't believe, but should be open-minded enough to accept that they may be wrong and actively seek such proof. I myself, to quote Fox Mulder from the X-Files, want to believe. I see the world around me and think 'this can't be it, there has to be more to life than this'. But my somewhat scientific way of thinking tries to tell me that it is, that what you see is what you get. Unfortunately, the only real way to win over all the skeptics on UM is to prove yourself to them one at a time. Personally, I can't see that happening. I don't even think that you 'should'. Better to look for those 'true' skeptics, those who are open to the possibility and who have their own reasons for not believing. At least then you'll know you have a chance to begin with.

I hope this helped answer your question.

In terms of those claiming to be psychic, I'd ask them to predict something that would happen the next day thats very specific and practically impossible to guess....

such as the winning lottery numbers! Only then will I be convinced!

(someone PLEASE convince me, I beg of you :o )

The point is...how the hell does that warrant an OMG?

Is that really something to "make one wonder"?

OMG! I just KNEW someone was going to get snarkey about my sarcastic comment! I must be...PSYCHIC!

:lol: OMG!!!! This is hilarious!! :lol:

In terms of those claiming to be psychic, I'd ask them to predict something that would happen the next day thats very specific and practically impossible to guess....

such as the winning lottery numbers! Only then will I be convinced!

(someone PLEASE convince me, I beg of you :o )

I just do not see that happening. But, if it does, I will be highly impressed.

Well, I am still waiting for a reading from you. You will not seem to do it. Hmm Why?

maybe because s/he doesn't feel the need to waste their time trying to prove something over and over again to random people?

Actually, I would love to attempt to prove it to random people. However, I'm going through a divorce at the moment and haven't had the time to post. Sorry about that, but I see that this topic has grown pretty well without me. :P

For me, it is quite hard to do such things over the internet. Yet I've still tried to test my own boundaries. Outside of the two skeptic threads I began, I've never read people online. My readings are only in person and never for payment. I am a Pagan who also studies Buddhist and Hindu philosophy; I have a small coven of my own that I am involved with. So such things are not outside the realm of my experience. However, facing a hoard of people with doubt is not exactly the norm for me. When one travels in Pagan or Buddhist circles, there are spiritual things that are accepted as such without looking for holes in everything. But just as there a false proclaimed psychics, so are there false gurus, monks and so on. It is in human nature that makes it that way.

I think the best lesson that I've learned from all this is that I know what I can do and regardless of whether or not others believe, I must still be me. And that's what I shall do.

I am a little disgusted with most of the comments. Psychic ability is NOT synonymous with mind reading. Psychic ability is also inherently flawed. What a seer sees is based on the moment the seer goes looking.

Nothing is static.

The seer or psychic sees the most probably outcome based on what is happening NOW. But a psychic can not see all probable futures, there are too many variables.

When people ask psychics to "prove" their ability most often what they really want is the psychic to play GOD and create the future, they also want psychics to read their minds. It isn't the psychic that is the problem, it is the skeptic with unrealistic expectations.

maybe because s/he doesn't feel the need to waste their time trying to prove something over and over again to random people?

:no:

Actually, I would love to attempt to prove it to random people. However, I'm going through a divorce at the moment and haven't had the time to post. Sorry about that, but I see that this topic has grown pretty well without me. :P

For me, it is quite hard to do such things over the internet. Yet I've still tried to test my own boundaries. Outside of the two skeptic threads I began, I've never read people online. My readings are only in person and never for payment. I am a Pagan who also studies Buddhist and Hindu philosophy; I have a small coven of my own that I am involved with. So such things are not outside the realm of my experience. However, facing a hoard of people with doubt is not exactly the norm for me. When one travels in Pagan or Buddhist circles, there are spiritual things that are accepted as such without looking for holes in everything. But just as there a false proclaimed psychics, so are there false gurus, monks and so on. It is in human nature that makes it that way.

I think the best lesson that I've learned from all this is that I know what I can do and regardless of whether or not others believe, I must still be me. And that's what I shall do.

When you get a chance, I would look forward to a reading. Divorce sucks. I wish you the best.

I am a little disgusted with most of the comments. Psychic ability is NOT synonymous with mind reading. Psychic ability is also inherently flawed. What a seer sees is based on the moment the seer goes looking.

Nothing is static.

The seer or psychic sees the most probably outcome based on what is happening NOW. But a psychic can not see all probable futures, there are too many variables.

When people ask psychics to "prove" their ability most often what they really want is the psychic to play GOD and create the future, they also want psychics to read their minds. It isn't the psychic that is the problem, it is the skeptic with unrealistic expectations.

Whatever. We just want proof. Sorry, that bothers you. Boo ya.