Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
S2F

Young Earth theory

27 posts in this topic

churchanddestroy
Well my point makes no difference.

Why? We don't even know that Moses existed.

fullywired
The Earth is not 6000 to 10000 years old. The first few chapters of Genesis was written as a poem by Moses. Each "day" could have simply been thousands to billions of years. It seems so. The Bible talks about dinosaurs or prehistoric creatures that existed long before man. I doubt 1 or 2 days count as "long before man" you know what I mean?

Question: Can’t “day” mean ‘a period of time’, and therefore not represent a 24 hour

period, but millions, or even billions of years?: [Day-Age theory]

Answer:

1) The Hebrew word “yom”, which is used here, can indeed mean an indefinite period of time. However, in Gen 1 it is preceded by an ordinal (i.e. first, second, third, etc). In these cases, ‘yom’ means a 24 hour period.[When I say, “I’ll be there in a minute!”you might presume that I mean some indefinite length of time, but if I said, “I’ll be there in exactly 60 seconds”, there would be no misunderstanding as to what I meant. That is what God is doing here!!]

2) Before “the first day” it says, “there was evening and morning”. These are designations of time. This terminology was used even before the 4th day, when the Sun and Moon and stars were made. These were made to mark off time periods that already existed (Gen 1:14). Once the Sun was made, it becomes clear that “evening and morning” means “24 hours”

In Exodus 20:8-11, God correlates our “day”[which lasts 24 hours] with His creation “day”. That makes each creation day 24 hours. This is key!! Now I know Mondays at work seem long, but it really isn’t millions of years long!!!

Exodus 20: 8-11:

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

http://www.eadshome.com/Day.htm