Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

young people decorate with homemade tattoos

Mademoiselle

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...1OOCwGnPA8ZrT_Q

"VANCOUVER — Rose Penny Doiron wanted to do something special for her best friend who was away in England so she decided to have her name, Jennifer, tattooed on her wrist.

Despite already being covered in intricate, colourful body art, Vancouver-based Doiron wanted to make the commemoration to her best friend a special event. So she got another friend to give her a homemade tattoo.

"I wanted her to be impressed when she got back," said the 24-year-old. "We did it on the floor of my (vintage clothing) shop, over a bottle of whisky, three hours later."

These non-professional tattoos - known as stick and poke or hand poke tattoos - are done with a sewing needle, thread and India ink.

The thread is wrapped around the needle, dipped in the ink and poked into the skin, one dot at a time. The tattoos often take a painstakingly long time to complete because of the simple tools involved, and therefore are quite basic. (A professional tattoo artist will use an electric gun that has several needles.)

Although every circumstance is different, alcohol is often consumed before and during the procedure.

Dr. Lisa Kellett, a Toronto-based general and cosmetic dermatologist, said she's removed a significant number of "amateur tattoos" from people between the ages of 15 and 78."

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mademoiselle

• asc.rudeboy

• Blue Box

• eden grange

these are the people that grow up regreat getting tattooed,,because they look so bad..scratchers got to love them.....cheap *** go spend the 50 bucks to get a nice tattoo of your froends name,,cost a lot less then removing them.

That's a creative way to 'f' up your body. It still amazes me how stupid people can be...

That's a creative way to 'f' up your body. It still amazes me how stupid people can be...

my thoughts exactly ..

Most tattoo artists I have met are exactly that... artists. They know how to draw, and thus tattoo, beautifully and precisely.

What is so touching about having a sloppy, lopsided, drunken name tattooed across your wrist? I'd be more impressed if my friend forked over $50 and had an artist render my name. (Although I would think anyone who wanted my name tattooed on them wacky to begin with).

Most tattoo artists I have met are exactly that... artists. They know how to draw, and thus tattoo, beautifully and precisely.

What is so touching about having a sloppy, lopsided, drunken name tattooed across your wrist? I'd be more impressed if my friend forked over $50 and had an artist render my name. (Although I would think anyone who wanted my name tattooed on them wacky to begin with).

Thats it, Im getting Purplos on my bicep! :P

The only tattoo appropriate for being administer by this procedure is the Slayer logo, preferably when you are 14.

Edited by Affliction

I have 5 tattoos all were done by a pro/artist.

:hmm: I could have never done this first off it isn't sanitary (neither are most Tattoo parlors either for that matter), the pain and only alcohol to back it up :blink: , and last usually my BFF never stuck around for more then a year before they decided to backstab me. I wouldn't even get a regular tattoo since when you get older they don't look as good, they kinda drift and sag :td: . Edited by Ambrosia~Ismene

:hmm: I could have never done this first off it isn't sanitary (neither are most Tattoo parlors either for that matter), the pain and only alcohol to back it up :blink: , and last usually my BFF never stuck around for more then a year before they decided to backstab me. I wouldn't even get a regular tattoo since when you get older they don't look as good, they kinda drift and sag :td: .

Well the tattoo parlor I go to is very sanitary. The tattooist even wear a mask and rubber gloves. The needles are in sealed packages. I don't know where you or if you have every been to a real tatto parlor. The parlor in Kentucky and Indiana must meet health guidelines that are strick.

:hmm: I could have never done this first off it isn't sanitary (neither are most Tattoo parlors either for that matter), the pain and only alcohol to back it up :blink: , and last usually my BFF never stuck around for more then a year before they decided to backstab me. I wouldn't even get a regular tattoo since when you get older they don't look as good, they kinda drift and sag :td: .

for one to openly state MOST TATTOO PARLORS ARNT CLEAN or SANITARY is just a blaten sign of ignorence to the subjest at hand...most SHOPS not parlors follow health code and guide lines,,and more times then not the tattoo shop follows a set of self imposed rules because the general public dosnt care enough to push furhter laws.....and any tattoo shop worth its salt wont tattoo drunk people because you bleed to much and it makes it harder to work,and people tend to get sick and throw up or passout more often from the endorphin rush your body goes threw when you been drinking,,

i worked at a shop for 5 yrs learning the ends and outs spending countless hours scrubbing tubes to go into the autoclave,making sure our SHARPS container was taking care of unloading boxes and boxes of,paper towls ,plates,ink caps,rubber gloves and rubbing alchol,packing new needles and tubes to run threw the autoclave so every person walking threw the door got a brand new set up everytime....we even lay down saran wrap on the counter where the set up goes incase some ink splatters and after all that everthing is whiped down and we lay out a new set up and this is a routine for 99% of all tattoo shops,,the very few that dont are like the people in the above story scratchers,,not tattoo artist

...and quality tattooes done right and are cared for correctly last a life time looking just as good as the day they did it,,it all boils down to the quality of the shop and how compentent your artist is...stop listening to old horro stories or people that dont know the diffrence between quality work and a really cheap price,,those things dont go hand in hand in the tattoo world..

its closed minded missinformed statements like yours that keep the old tire image of carnaval style fly by night tattoo shops where only bikers and navy boys get tattooed,,,nothing could be further from the truth a decient shop charges around 100$ an hour (some of my pieces are over 7hrs by them selves)

and the clients are police,dr's,lawers,construction workers,grandmas,house wives,priest,artist, accountants there is no ryhm or reason to the people youll see coming threw a tattoo shop anymore..

Well Ambrosia, I got my first tat twenty years ago, and even back then the tatoo parlors were and still are very sanitary..We also have health codes down here and they are inspected twice a year...And trust me, as I got older my tatoo did not drift or sag...The only thing I had to do was have it re-colored as it was slightly faded... :)

Thats it, Im getting Purplos on my bicep!

You're wacky!!

("Although every circumstance is different, alcohol is often consumed before and during the procedure.")

aaah- the good ole fashion disinfectant and pain reliever :D

ive had tatoos done in the scratch and burn way, but at least the artist was professional and knew what he was doing- and thank god i was the only one drinking the whiskey :P

its closed minded missinformed statements like yours that keep the old tire image of carnaval style fly by night tattoo shops where only bikers and navy boys get tattooed,,,nothing could be further from the truth a decient shop charges around 100$ an hour (some of my pieces are over 7hrs by them selves)

and the clients are police,dr's,lawers,construction workers,grandmas,house wives,priest,artist, accountants there is no ryhm or reason to the people youll see coming threw a tattoo shop anymore..

Well Ambrosia, I got my first tat twenty years ago, and even back then the tatoo parlors were and still are very sanitary..We also have health codes down here and they are inspected twice a year...And trust me, as I got older my tatoo did not drift or sag...The only thing I had to do was have it re-colored as it was slightly faded... :)

Wow, rudeboy. No need to be so well, anyways.......I've only ever seen the tattoo parlors where they look run down and are in the bad parts of town. Sorry, but I'm not close minded at all it's just from what I've seen around here. I don't want to cause a riot over this geez.

Goalienan, thanks for taking what I said a bit better. I'd rather be informed like this instead of being attacked and called close minded <_< . I figured they had health codes but like I have said the only ones I have seen around my area are run down, kinda ify looking to. I'm glad that there are better ones then the ones I have seen around though ;). LOL About the tattoo it's good to know, glad yours still looks good.

Wow, rudeboy. No need to be so well, anyways.......I've only ever seen the tattoo parlors where they look run down and are in the bad parts of town. Sorry, but I'm not close minded at all it's just from what I've seen around here. I don't want to cause a riot over this geez.

Goalienan, thanks for taking what I said a bit better. I'd rather be informed like this instead of being attacked and called close minded <_< . I figured they had health codes but like I have said the only ones I have seen around my area are run down, kinda ify looking to. I'm glad that there are better ones then the ones I have seen around though ;). LOL About the tattoo it's good to know, glad yours still looks good.

didnt mean to come off like a ***.just most of the time when someone make such a blanket statment like most shops are dirty,,,are people that have no idea about what they are talking about and are just repeating the same tired rumors that their grand parents thought to be true.....im heavily tattooed and so is my wife its a part of our life we fell strongly about,,and sometimes after years of the same arguments from uneducated people i tend to jumo the gun,,and go for the knock out blow,,,didnt mean to be agressive in me comments.

didnt mean to come off like a ***.just most of the time when someone make such a blanket statment like most shops are dirty,,,are people that have no idea about what they are talking about and are just repeating the same tired rumors that their grand parents thought to be true.....im heavily tattooed and so is my wife its a part of our life we fell strongly about,,and sometimes after years of the same arguments from uneducated people i tend to jumo the gun,,and go for the knock out blow,,,didnt mean to be agressive in me comments.

;) No problem, I'm just glad there are much cleaner establishments for getting tattoos then the ones I have seen ;). I probably should of been a little more clearer about what I meant by "most" I guess. And no my grand parents and parents have never passed on those rumors to me LOL, like I said the ones I have seen around here don't look like they'd be a very sterile environment. Hopefully, though most of the ones I have seen have cleaned up their acts or are cleaning up their acts, one can only hope I suppose :D .

Edited by Ambrosia~Ismene

I saw a young man in a local grocery sporting a brand new red tattoo on his throat. It covered his entire neck/throat area and was principally red (try as I might, I couldn't decipher what it was a tattoo of). It literally was 5or 6" square. Don't kids realise that they will loose all of their elasticity in about 30 years and end up looking horrible? I see this good looking kid in 30 years, fat, and the tattoo looks like a giant turkey gobbler! What a visual! :td:

I saw a young man in a local grocery sporting a brand new red tattoo on his throat. It covered his entire neck/throat area and was principally red (try as I might, I couldn't decipher what it was a tattoo of). It literally was 5or 6" square. Don't kids realise that they will loose all of their elasticity in about 30 years and end up looking horrible? I see this good looking kid in 30 years, fat, and the tattoo looks like a giant turkey gobbler! What a visual! :td:

OMG i'm glad i didn't see it .

OMG i'm glad i didn't see it .

why,why is that something that would be shocking to see,???

When I was a teenager, fourteen I think, I tattooed my self on my knuckles with a Stanley Knife and cartridge ink, and I did not know you needed Indian ink. The “tattoo” only lasted about four months, never did a home made one again stuck to the professionals!

When I was a teenager, fourteen I think, I tattooed my self on my knuckles with a Stanley Knife and cartridge ink, and I did not know you needed Indian ink. The “tattoo” only lasted about four months, never did a home made one again stuck to the professionals!

very wise..

The only tattoo appropriate for being administer by this procedure is the Slayer logo, preferably when you are 14.

lol.. nah, its more like love and hate enscribed across ones knuckles.. pure class