Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans...

RipeFRuit

In our quest for understanding our origins the most common questions are usually "Did we evolve?" or "Did God create us?"

IMO we evolved...

It just makes so much sense, looking back at all the evidence and theories readily available. I don't want to go into great detail because this post is just so i can find out what you think :yes:.

I look froward to reading your responses.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RipeFRuit

• Twisted_Dragon

• Cradle of Fish

• Funky Poacher

Maybe God created apes to evolve ! :o MIND TRIP!!

Not sure how far this thread is going to go, as it essentially becomes a creationism vs. evolution debate. I'm personally an atheist, but either way I'm an evolutionist. I believe that even if there is a higher power, it created the essentials and they moved along on their own, eventually developing into what is currently in existence. In reference to the title, Primates aren't even a species, I think it's actually the family that encompasses apes and monkeys, then it is further broken down into the different genus, then species. But humans are a distinct species, as one of the defining characteristics of a species is being able to breed successfully, and I do not believe they can interbreed with other apes. To the best of my understanding, a human cannot successfully mate with a chimp or a gorilla, so I'll say separate species.

Not sure how far this thread is going to go, as it essentially becomes a creationism vs. evolution debate.

Yes, there about a hundred of these acive on this board already, aren't there? Always an interesting subject, but surely there can only be so many threads on the subject at once!

To the best of my understanding, a human cannot successfully mate with a chimp or a gorilla, so I'll say separate species.

That's right, chimps and gorillas are surprisingly strong ;)

I'll say separate species.

Any evidence that backs this up?

In our quest for understanding our origins the most common questions are usually "Did we evolve?" or "Did God create us?"

Who's to say that God didn't intend for us to evolve? Maybe that is part of the entire creation process, evolving.

a fairly discussable subject (without underestimating:P) But i believe in evolution. But from what i have heard our evolution was a little faster than the other species, and then i allways end up asking why?... But what the heck

My evidence is in the form of what it means to be a separate species. Humans cannot interbreed with other primates to produce viable offspring, which is a defining characteristic of a species. So humans are, by definition a different species, and are classes as such. There is no room for debate in that regard. Questioning it any further than that is going beyond the concept of a "species" as mere nomenclature, which leads me to believe you have a misunderstanding of the word.

My evidence is in the form of what it means to be a separate species. Humans cannot interbreed with other primates to produce viable offspring, which is a defining characteristic of a species. So humans are, by definition a different species, and are classes as such. There is no room for debate in that regard. Questioning it any further than that is going beyond the concept of a "species" as mere nomenclature, which leads me to believe you have a misunderstanding of the word.

First, who are you to say what is a debate topic or not?

Second, everyone know that humans cannot interbreed with primates.

Third, the meaning of this topic is to read what other think about evolution.

Humans cannot interbreed with primates now, because we evolved but before we became the 'Homo' species we were regular ol' primates, who did something amazing at the time, stood up, witch this is when we became a separate species. Anyway, I just wanted to know what everyone thought on the subject of evolution, just as my first post states.

Just so we are clear Twisted_Dragon this is the question I am asking; Did Humans evolve?

Edited by RipeFRuit

I wasn't so much labeling it a debate topic as I was noting its potential to be so. No need for the apparent hostility.

In any case, I'm a staunch evolutionist, and personally believe that humans evolved. After having to read multiple books on the topic I just feel that there is an overabundant amount of knowledge and evidence within the fossil record to indicate that they evolved.

I just feel that there is an overabundant amount of knowledge and evidence within the fossil record to indicate that they evolved.

I would have to agree with you on this :)

And it explaines why some people look like apes :D

A better question is are we a finished product or will we continue evolving...

We will probably continue to evolve probably at a slower rate but still evolving nonetheless? How long have humans been evolving? some X thousands or millions of years, why stop?

Who's to say that God didn't intend for us to evolve? Maybe that is part of the entire creation process, evolving.

If that were true, why aren't there any religious texts that explicitly describe evolution as our origin?

A better question is are we a finished product or will we continue evolving...

Human evolution will only stop when we're no longer humans or no longer reproducing.

Planet of the Apes was a movie. It was intended for us to compare ourselves to the Monkeys so the Evolution theory will be subconciously enforced.

Planet of the Apes was a movie. It was intended for us to compare ourselves to the Monkeys so the Evolution theory will be subconciously enforced.

I thought it was about humanity's self destructive nature and the fact that we'll probably be replaced one day.

Not sure how far this thread is going to go, as it essentially becomes a creationism vs. evolution debate. I'm personally an atheist, but either way I'm an evolutionist. I believe that even if there is a higher power, it created the essentials and they moved along on their own, eventually developing into what is currently in existence. In reference to the title, Primates aren't even a species, I think it's actually the family that encompasses apes and monkeys, then it is further broken down into the different genus, then species. But humans are a distinct species, as one of the defining characteristics of a species is being able to breed successfully, and I do not believe they can interbreed with other apes. To the best of my understanding, a human cannot successfully mate with a chimp or a gorilla, so I'll say separate species.

Hey mate,

Not to nitpick, but species are not nearly as simple as you have thus defined. That being "the possibility of interbreeding". Many plants and animals successfully interbreed in the wild, even ones you may term as "separate species".

Its good to remember that species is a man made concept and does/is not forced in nature. That is, there is no natural law of species. Also how would your definition handle asexual organisms? Would each individual then be a "species"?

Probably the best way to define species is by evolutionary lineages and common ancestry.

If you would like some more information check out this LINK which covers the 6 species concepts and the pros and cons of each.

Its good to remember that species is a man made concept and does/is not forced in nature. That is, there is no natural law of species. Also how would your definition handle asexual organisms? Would each individual then be a "species"?

Excellent post. This has slipped my mind and I am glad you brought it to every ones attention , as im sure it slipped other peoples minds as well.

This is what I always tell people in debates about the subject; they never seem to really have an answer for it :)