Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waterloo: The Blood Sport World Cup

Talon

Do you support Blood Sports?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Blood Sports?

• Yes
    • No

I couldn't see any other recent threads on Blood Sports, so I was wondering what people make of the Waterloo Cup and Blood Sports:

user posted image

The Waterloo Cup was established at Altcar in 1836 and centres around hare-casing.

The 2004 event was attended by 7,000 spectators and 160 protesters.

The event organisers say only 1 in 8 hares die in the event, RSPC inspectors take the average to be closer to 1 in 4. This year 7 out of 27 of the Hares died (1 in 4).

With the possible passing of the Hunting Bill at the end of the year it could be illegal by 2005. Last July MPs voted by 317 to 145 in favour of the ban, but the unelected House of Lords banned it, keeping fox and stag hunting, as well as hare coursing, legal.

Here are some quotes from the defence:

Clarissa Dickson Wright, star of Two Fat Ladies - "I just wish all these people who jump up and down and say these silly things would come and watch the cup with an open mind and have coursing explained to them. Although some hares are killed, the point is not to kill them, and the ones that are killed are not ripped apart as these protesters would have you believe. I cook with some of them, in fact I have one marinading in the pot now."

"I have never heard one rational reason why this should not happen."

Charles Blanning, secretary of the National Coursing Club - "The Waterloo Cup is the greatest coursing event in the world - it is the greatest test of a greyhound in the world, and that's what we go to see."

Simon Hart, chief executive of the Countryside Alliance - "All of the organisations have so far failed to come up with any decent reason to make this a criminal offence. And many people think that there are more important issues that Parliament should be dealing with."

Here are the views of the protestors:

Gregg Metcalfe, spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports on Celebraty support - "We are extremely disappointed that anybody in the public eye would want to be associated with this barbaric event. To back such a high profile event sets a terrible example to his fans, that it is OK to chase and kill an innocent hare in such a cruel manner. It is very irresponsible."

Tony Moore, chairman of the Fight Against Animal Cruelty in Europe - "This arena bloodsport should have been thrown into the dustbin of history years ago."

"The Waterloo Cup is not a race to see who is the fastest or strongest, but a race to see who can kill the quickest.

"People do not cheer while watching - they just cheer with blood lust when an animal is killed."

"Bookmakers are a big part of the scene at the Waterloo Cup. It is obscene to gamble on the life or death struggle of an animal"

Veteran animal rights campaigner Tony Moore, whose late wife Vicky was gored by a bull during a demonstration at a Spanish fiesta - "This is the United Kingdom's best-kept secret. Nobody in the rest of Europe knows that this is going on. It is disgusting."

Dina Nixon, a 41-year-old mother- of- one - "I think it is shocking that people would bring their children to something like this, it is absolutely barbaric."

West Lancashire Labour MP Colin Pickthall - "Murder is not a sport" "Ban this bloody butchery".

Emma Milne, from BBC's Vets in Practice programme - "I think it is very bizarre. They could still do all of this and use a false hare. They say it is about pest control but you don't get this kind of a turnout for a cockroach exterminator. If a group of teenagers from an inner city council estate set their dogs on a cat then there would be uproar. This is completely unacceptable."

RSPCA spokeswoman Heather Holmes - "It is appalling that the RSPCA employs inspectors in the Merseyside area who day in, day out, work to prevent cruelty, and yet this barbaric practice dubbed a sport is allowed to go on on our doorstep and we can do nothing at all to prevent it. It is made worse by the fact this is promoted as a recreational activity. To witness the cheer from the crowd each time a hare is caught absolutely beggars belief."

Source: www.lancslacs.co.uk, http://icseftonandwestlancs.icnetwork.co.uk

Personally I'm an animal lover and find Blood Sports wrong for both moral reasons but also on the grounds of the animals' right to live.

What does everyone else think?

Edited by Talon S.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thistle

• Talon

• Scar

• Seraphina

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talon, You and I can agree on this

issue! thumbsup.gif

I also believe that anybody who attends

or watches these kind of events and is

entertained are totally sick in the head! wacko.gif

They just broke up a group of people

here in my city for fighting dogs for

profit, these animals are forced to

fight to the death, and the images were

beyond graphic.. I will not post them

here.

What broke my heart was seeing some of

the dogs that had won, and were later

shot or beaten to death by their owner

because the animal was unable to fight

again.

Gazz

Edited by Gazz

Talon, You and I can agree on this

issue!

I also believe that anybody who attends

or watches these kind of events and is

entertained are totally sick in the head!

Gazz, and myself... on the same side, the 11th sign of the Apocolypse?! ohmy.gifgrin2.gif

Indeed they are sick, especally when one utters the line "I cook with some of them, in fact I have one marinading in the pot now." crying.gif

You know, would it be justice if we set a bunch of Dobermans on these people and see if they still find it a fun family day out? grin2.gif

Anyone who finds entertainment in pain and death is absolutely twisted...blood sports have always sickened me, and will continue to do so until they're banned.

As we've seen, there are many alternatives to blood sports...in some areas, drag hunting is practiced instead of fox hunting for example (for those who don't know, drag hunting involves a human runner, marked out in some way by a strong cent, usually anacede. At worst, he will recieve a severe licking when caught). The claim that it's not about the kill is absolutely ridiculous, or such alternatives would be in use instead.

It amazes me that in the UK, a country I like to consider rather enlightened on the whole, such barbarism still exists.

the point is not to kill them

I see, so the point is to watch terrified rabbits try to avoid being killed by dogs?

How is that entertainment?!If the point is not seeing the rabbits killed, then why not use an alternitive like Seraphina metioned?

You know, would it be justice if we set a bunch of Dobermans on these people and see if they still find it a fun family day out?

How about these people can still watch the rabbits being killed and chased if they are first chased by some hungry lions? Somehow I think the "sport" wouldn't be so popular...

Edited by Cercea

Anyone who finds entertainment in pain and death is absolutely twisted

I like boxing and UFC. They're entertaining to watch and no one dies from that, only in extreme cases.

But since we're talking about animals here, it's cruel. They should have underground fight clubs instead, that way they are only bashing and killing themselves.

Many pro-blood sport people defend their "sport" by saying that, in the cases of foxes, it keeps down the population.

I personally have no problem with shooting foxes (if you are a farmer for instance) and I have no problem with people hunting, as long as they eat what they kill.

I DO have a problem with people who think it is fun to kill small creatures and who do it only for the buzz they get from chasing down a terrorfied animal before having it very painfully killed.

I live in a part of England where these kinds of activities are still very popular and I find the people who do it tend to be utter w######s.

Now, if we could hunt these people for fun, I might change my mind. whistling2.gif

As far as Hare coursing is concerned, the sooner it goes down the same road as fox hunting the better in my opinion. There are better ways to test the speed and agility of your dog than to run it against a hare. Likewise, saying that the Hare is eaten is hardly making it ok that it suffered a horrible death.....if you want to eat hare, get one that was humanely shot.

Fox-hunting, what can I say ....Good riddance...I am well aware that foxes can be a nuisance to farmers especially during the lambing season but I have never seen the justification in using that as an excuse to have fun......take out the problem fox quickly and humanely and leave the rest alone.

However, I'd love to hear what other members would class as bloodsports ??? I think it's safe to say that the above two will be undisputed but should shooting, fishing, falconry etc be classed alongside them as some people would have you believe ?????

I like boxing and UFC. They're entertaining to watch and no one dies from that, only in extreme cases.

The difference is those are displays of athletic competition between two willing participants. Not a dozen or so dogs against one terrrfied rabbit. I wouldn't consider boxing and the like blood sports, in those cases a serious injury means the fight is stopped, and the loser gets medical attention....at the end of a fox or hare hunt, the only thing that could help get the animal back on its feet is the jigsaw world champion, and lots of glue.

in the cases of foxes, it keeps down the population.

Given this is one of the chief defences of their sport, you'd think they'd think it through...

Foxes are a self regulating species; when you kill one in a particular area, other foxes in the locale will come in and take over its terroritory, meaning the number of foxes remains constant. A cull would, obviously, cut their numbers down...but the brutal hunting and butchering of a single fox for the sick thrill of it certainly does not.

Was kind hoping for a controvesial debate.... can't really happen if we all agree crying.gif , com'on someone must support it, don't be scared, we wouldn't shoot you down.... much grin2.gif

Personally I'm an animal lover and find Blood Sports wrong for both moral reasons but also on the grounds of the animals' right to live.

Well.....purely because you want a debate TalonS.......and because I can't see anything else to take issue with.......why does the Hare being coursed have more of a right to live than the cow/pig/chicken etc that is served up for dinner every day of the week?

keep it friendly wink2.gif

Edited by thistle1

Where I live, in a rural area, many practice and support bloodsports.

However, I don't agree with it and never have.

Most days guns are ringing out all round as poor old pheasants are gunned down in the name of "sport". Many farmers round here breed them especially for shoots. I have to smile when they insist that walkers keep their dogs on leads in case they upset the birds. blink.gif

Welcome again Bazza thumbsup.gif

* decides to play devil's advocate to satisfy TalonS * devil.gif

Is there any real difference between a farmer breeding pheasants specifically for a shoot and a farmer breeding sheep specifically for the slaughterhouse ???? Slightly off-topic I know but as I said earlier some people would class shooting as a blood sport too..

True thistle but it does beg the question;

How many cookies could a good cook cook if good cook could cook cookies ?

Anyhoow, You could argue that the farmer is supplying on demand, a product most people enjoy , Where as the folk who enjoy watching an animal getting slaughterd are pretty damm sick.

The farmer aint doing it for enjoyment thumbsup.gif

Don't judge me on the penguin game w00t.gif

Man I love that !

I honestly don't see how anyone can agree with blood sports, but I have had discussions with people that do, although that was on fox hunting.

It's amazing that these people actually believe that is acceptable, that it is better for them to have a quick death than slowly being poisoned by farmers trying to keep them off their land.

If that's all it's about then why do they turn up to watch it, and get 'enjoyment' out of it?

Personally I'd feed them all to the lions. They'd soon change their opinion about how much fun it is.

How many cookies could a good cook cook if good cook could cook cookies ?

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

lol Scar .....dammit stop making me laugh. I'm trying to be serious ( for once )

It could also be argued that the people who participate in the shoots are as bloodthirsty as those who go to watch Hare coursing.

* goes back to trying to say Scar's tonguetwister * whistling2.gif

An idea !!

We need Meat right ?

These folk want to see blood right ?

Lets KILL EM rolleyes.gif and pump them full of morphine so they can watch as we set dobbermans on them ?? thumbsup.gif

Seriously why not let the bloodsport people kill the meat for our Dinners ?

then we would get our meat fix , and they would get there blood , then we can KILL EM !

Or not tongue.gif

why does the Hare being coursed have more of a right to live than the cow/pig/chicken etc that is served up for dinner every day of the week?

Well I only eat chicken and fish so I don't like they have more right tongue.gif

But I could say its because those farm animals aren't wild and their species only exist becaus we selectively breed them into the current form to eat. Out in the wild these animals would die, hares wouldn't... plus they aren't cased around by dogs for the fun of the crowd, plus we don't eat them... well really hungry tv women aparently do wacko.gif

It could also be argued that the people who participate in the shoots are as bloodthirsty as those who go to watch Hare coursing.

Oh, I don't agree with peasant shoots either grin2.gif , as again it serves no purpose, most of the birds are wild, and even in areas where the birds as raised for the hunt it can't be justified letting them go simply to be shot. Also most downed birds arn't eaten grin2.gif

grin2.gifgrin2.gifgrin2.gif

Also most downed birds arn't eaten

They're not ???????

How do you know this TalonS? I've been to several shoots....... damn I'm an open target now laugh.gif..........and can honestly say that every bird that was downed was taken home to somebody's kitchen. It is also incorrect to say that the shoot serves no purpose......in many shoots, the sole purpose is to " take out " the old c*** pheasants who are holding territories with no hope of breeding. By culling them, it allows a younger male to take over the area and rear young.

BTW..........I don't hold with "peasant" shooting either........just cos they're poor doesn't mean we can kill them wink2.gif

BTW..........I don't hold with "peasant" shooting either........just cos they're poor doesn't mean we can kill them 

Okay, I'll admit that hasn't been done in abgout 200 years

How do you know this TalonS? I've been to several shoots....... damn I'm an open target now ..........and can honestly say that every bird that was downed was taken home to somebody's kitchen. It is also incorrect to say that the shoot serves no purpose......in many shoots, the sole purpose is to " take out " the old c*** pheasants who are holding territories with no hope of breeding. By culling them, it allows a younger male to take over the area and rear young.

I'd copy paste, but I don't seem able wacko.gif anyway, second paragraph

http://www.lancslacs.co.uk/pheasant_shooting.htm

QUOTE "The remaining 16 million are shot, of which only half are thought to be eaten."

Note the use of the word " thought " .....in other words, this is NOT proven fact. I have no doubt that there are many shoots which are badly managed but I repeat that on the shoots I have attended NO bird is wasted.

Speaking from a purely personal level.....I would far rather eat a bird which has led a life in the wild and been killed quickly and humanely than a chicken which has lived in cramped squallid conditions and been killed on a conveyor belt.

thumbsup.gif

drag hunting is practiced instead of fox hunting for example (for those who don't know, drag hunting involves a human runner, marked out in some way by a strong cent, usually anacede.

When you said "drag hunting" I pictured something totally different. tongue.gif

That's just me though... whistling2.gif

post-63-1077827475.jpg

Note the use of the word " thought " .....in other words, this is NOT proven fact. I have no doubt that there are many shoots which are badly managed but I repeat that on the shoots I have attended NO bird is wasted.

But out of all the shoots out there how many do you attend? Also how do you garantee all the birds are taken home and eaten? huh.gif

Speaking from a purely personal level.....I would far rather eat a bird which has led a life in the wild and been killed quickly and humanely than a chicken which has lived in cramped squallid conditions and been killed on a conveyor belt.

I avoid consuming battery products for just that reason, anyway I wouldn't call being cased out of their hidding places by dogs and then shot a humane death. As for the conveyer belt...most actually have their necks broken... tongue.gif which isn't particularly better wacko.gif

But out of all the shoots out there how many do you attend? Also how do you garantee all the birds are taken home and eaten? huh.gif

I probably attend about 20 shoots per season......sorry no idea what percentage of the total shoots in this area that is. I can guarantee that all the birds are used on the shoots I attend because I know everyone that attends the shoots......only those people who are going to use the birds take them home.

As for chickens having their necks broken.....I'm afraid not. I would love to share with you the method used by the majority of places for killing chicken but I fear it may turn the stomachs of many people reading this thread...........not very nice at all crying.gif