Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] X-Files Movie : I Want to Believe

Stormcrow

You took the words right outa my mouth ER

Shame on Carter and Co ....what a boring load of tripe. It was exactly like an extended (BAD) episode. After all the good storylines the X files has had down the years ...this was the best they could come up with ???? :angry::no:

Minus points for the X Files........If you haven't seen it yet save yourself the dissapointment.

Bogey

Don't be hatin'. =(

After six years, whether it was a theatrical showing or an episode on TV, it's still the X Files, right? :P Not as great as FTF, and they definitely played up the whole psychic plotage a lot before, but there isn't a whole lot of disappointment in having that six-year-withdraw from a new storyline cured. I wasn't disappointed exactly, I was just expecting something a little more. It wasn't a bad movie, I'd love to go see it again. I mean, it ROCKED compared to the new Mummy. That movie was made of epic fail. :no:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• Funky Poacher

• Agent. Mulder

• Marcus Aurelius

Don't be hatin'. =(

After six years, whether it was a theatrical showing or an episode on TV, it's still the X Files, right? :P Not as great as FTF, and they definitely played up the whole psychic plotage a lot before, but there isn't a whole lot of disappointment in having that six-year-withdraw from a new storyline cured. I wasn't disappointed exactly, I was just expecting something a little more. It wasn't a bad movie, I'd love to go see it again. I mean, it ROCKED compared to the new Mummy. That movie was made of epic fail. :no:

i agree. and people, go see it......remember we need to make it as successful as possible so they will HOPEFULLY make more. I'm gonna be p***ed if the x-files franchise dies with just this movie.

i agree. and people, go see it......remember we need to make it as successful as possible so they will HOPEFULLY make more. I'm gonna be p***ed if the x-files franchise dies with just this movie.

Hang on...Surely the best way to have them make a good movie is to refrain from going to bad ones :mellow:

Dont go and they'll know they've got to do better next time.Why waste money on something THAT WILL dissapoint :wacko:

Bogey

You don't particularly know for sure if it will disappoint other fans or not. I've talked to tons of other people that really enjoyed the movie, and have seen it numerous times. I'd love to go again, if I had any possible way to get to the theater, because it excited me so much at first. I think if there is any movie to disappoint this year, it's the Mummy. That was god-awful.

Hang on...Surely the best way to have them make a good movie is to refrain from going to bad ones :mellow:

Dont go and they'll know they've got to do better next time.Why waste money on something THAT WILL dissapoint :wacko:

Bogey

Not necessarily; look I didn't think it was incredible or anything, but as a diehard fan, I seriously enjoyed it and will buy it on dvd. it was good, just not great. let the fans decide for themselves.

I only got round to seeing it tonight. After reading the comments on here I was expecting the worst, I was pleasantly surprised, really enjoyed it. They avoided the whole blockbuster theme with big special effects and a happy ending, it was fragmented in laying out a coherant easy to follow theme, with unfinished business, unresolved issues and and lacking in a satisfactory answer - classic x files, old school if you like. It leaves the door open for more and they avoided the whole series 8,9 debacle. I think they got the whole theme spot on.

let the fans decide for themselves.

I agree. :yes: I think the universal feeling about though, is that it was lacking the same epic feeling FTF had. It was more or less an extended episode, BUT HEY! I love me some X Files so I was content either way. :lol:

I only got round to seeing it tonight. After reading the comments on here I was expecting the worst, I was pleasantly surprised, really enjoyed it. They avoided the whole blockbuster theme with big special effects and a happy ending, it was fragmented in laying out a coherant easy to follow theme, with unfinished business, unresolved issues and and lacking in a satisfactory answer - classic x files, old school if you like. It leaves the door open for more and they avoided the whole series 8,9 debacle. I think they got the whole theme spot on.

I loved the fact there was little that involved the plot through seasons eight and nine. They mentioned William, but it really felt like the old days when it was just Mulder and Scully, debating the existence of what have you. I didn't like that it was more spiritual/religious than other episodes though. I think toward the end Mulder was contemplating the existence of God, and that just didn't... it wasn't Mulder. I think that's the biggest problem I had with it, but other than that I was very happy to see it. :D

I agree. :yes: I think the universal feeling about though, is that it was lacking the same epic feeling FTF had. It was more or less an extended episode, BUT HEY! I love me some X Files so I was content either way. :lol:

I loved the fact there was little that involved the plot through seasons eight and nine. They mentioned William, but it really felt like the old days when it was just Mulder and Scully, debating the existence of what have you. I didn't like that it was more spiritual/religious than other episodes though. I think toward the end Mulder was contemplating the existence of God, and that just didn't... it wasn't Mulder. I think that's the biggest problem I had with it, but other than that I was very happy to see it. :D

i agree all around, except actually I thought it was kinda cool how he was pondering the existence of God. Like, oh yeah, well he's pondered all these other paranormal things over the years but never that. it was different.

i agree all around, except actually I thought it was kinda cool how he was pondering the existence of God. Like, oh yeah, well he's pondered all these other paranormal things over the years but never that. it was different.

It was different, but he's never been religious before, so I don't see why it would need to be picked up now. I don't believe in God, so it was a little difficult for me to enjoy Mulder as a character after that, having seen him believe so many things that didn't include the existence of God, and sometimes disregarded it all together. It was different though--I just think it's more Scully's place to be the religious one.

It was different, but he's never been religious before, so I don't see why it would need to be picked up now. I don't believe in God, so it was a little difficult for me to enjoy Mulder as a character after that, having seen him believe so many things that didn't include the existence of God, and sometimes disregarded it all together. It was different though--I just think it's more Scully's place to be the religious one.

yeah true. i actually always liked, even as a believer, Mulder's ambiguousness towards that issue. like you just never really knew what he thought about the existence of god or not, he never really said anything either way, and i think that added to the complexity of his character. you don't know everything about mulder lol. even in this movie, i got the impression he was talking more about fate than god. still ambiguous. nice. lol

Watched it a couple nights ago in cinema. As expected, it was classic x files. So yeah, i liked it.

However, they focused a lot on this Father Joe character which led them to questioning religion. This took up quite a bit of the movie - it was almost a side story, which was a let down. I expected there to be questioning along the lines of; 'what if this was possible? - Wouldnt we want to know about it? It would help a lot of people" etc... .

I think that they could have made the link from stem cell research to transplanting body parts a bit more clearer. I talked to someone else about the movie and they didnt get it at all.

Watched it a couple nights ago in cinema. As expected, it was classic x files. So yeah, i liked it.

However, they focused a lot on this Father Joe character which led them to questioning religion. This took up quite a bit of the movie - it was almost a side story, which was a let down. I expected there to be questioning along the lines of; 'what if this was possible? - Wouldnt we want to know about it? It would help a lot of people" etc... .

I think that they could have made the link from stem cell research to transplanting body parts a bit more clearer. I talked to someone else about the movie and they didnt get it at all.

Glad I'm not the only one that felt that way! A lot of the plot synopses said that Scully's patient had strange connections with Mulder's case, and after reading the plots and then seeing the movie, I didn't feel like that was true at all. I felt like it just dropped off...

The X files has a special place in my memory.

When I fist immigrated to America and became reunited with my father after quite some time. He used to watch the X-files sometimes. It was one of the first things I had seen in America. The show reminds me of my early days in America.

But later I sort of forgot about it as I grew older. But then I read this awesome section in the National Geographics magazine which helped boost my interest in life outside earth. My interest in the subject grew and began including other things like cryptozoology. Then I started getting into all the government conspiracy Area 51 stuff along with a friend who shared the same interests. I was quite the UFO nerd. The X Files would've been the PERFECT show for me. I wasn't aware of the X Files at that time.

Only now when I have begun watching the episodes do I realize how terribly good this show was. Mulder and Scully were the best duo ever seen on television.

The 90s was the perfect time to air the X Files. It was a time when there was much widespread mistrust of governments, interest in conspiracy theories and spirituality, and belief in the existence of extraterrestrial life.

The good 'ole days I say!

Now with the cold war long gone and a lot of changes, most of us are satisfied that there really are no alien conspiracies, that the Roswell crash was secret military equipment not an alien craft or a weather balloon. We now know that most of the cover ups had to do with terrorists or military hardware and research. The The old white guys in the military-industrial complex can't handle state-building in Afghanistan let alone coordinate an alien invasion.

Frankly, the world is concerned about other things now.

God I miss those days!

I'm having a bit of decade nostalgia here :)

Edited by Mr. sasquatch