Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Legend of the Ice People

Oderint

Hello!

Some months ago it was revealed that the highly popular Swedish/Norwegian book series "Sagaen om Isfolket" is being translated to English. It is a series of 47 books about the paranormal, love/hate, good vs. evil etc.

I grew up reading this and now I can finally recommend it to everyone out there!

Here's what the publisher, Tagman Press, writes about the first book in the series:

Spellbound by Margit Sandemo

In English now for the first time –

The Legend of the Ice People has already captivated 25 million readers across Europe.

Winter 1581: a deadly plague outbreak robs sixteen-year old peasant girl Silje of all her family. Homeless, starving and shepherding two foundling infants, she stumbles through the corpse-strewn streets of Trondheim on Norway’s northern coast.

Heading desperately for the warmth of the mass funeral pyres blazing beyond the city gates, she encounters in the shadowy forest one of the infamous Ice People, a fearsome, strangely captivating ‘wolf man’. He offers help -- and she feels irresistibly drawn to him. But what is the terrible fascination ? And where will it lead?

Spellbound, the opening volume in The Legend of the Ice People, begins a journey that spans four centuries and interweaves romance and the supernatural in narratives that are passionate, earthy, often erotic and imbued above all else with a powerful narrative drive.

‘Loved by the masses, the prolific Margit Sandemo has written more than 170 novels to date, and is Scandinavia’s most widely-read author.’

Mia Gahne, Scanorama magazine

You can even read the first chapter of book number 1 HERE!

(This is fiction of course, but a great resource in the paranormal nonetheless)

Publishers Website

Authors Website

Enjoy :)

I read the first chapter and it is a little interesting. I'll just have to wait until it is published and can read a copy.

I read the first chapter and it is a little interesting. I'll just have to wait until it is published and can read a copy.

Thanks for giving it a try :D

Trust me when I say this, the first chapter is nothing compared to the rest of the book and the entire series. The story goes from the 16th century up to 1986 (+/- a few years), so there's ALOT to come still :)

• 1 month later...

I followed the links and read the first chapter. I have to say I want to know what happens next! I think this may re-instate my book-a-holic addiction to non reference type books. Great first chapter now I have to find the rest.

Ohh I remember reading the first chapter of this book a month or so back when someone else on UM recommended it. I just might have to pick up the book next time I go to the bookstore. Thanks for reminding me.

I followed the links and read the first chapter. I have to say I want to know what happens next! I think this may re-instate my book-a-holic addiction to non reference type books. Great first chapter now I have to find the rest.

Glad you like it! The first chapters doesn't really show how good the first book is, and the first book is nowhere near of showing how good the entire series is. So you've got alot to look forward to :)

Ohh I remember reading the first chapter of this book a month or so back when someone else on UM recommended it. I just might have to pick up the book next time I go to the bookstore. Thanks for reminding me.

I think that was me, a month ago (look at the date on the first post) ;) I did a search before posting, and no other threads/posts came up.

Have fun reading! if you can't find it in a store, I suggest using amazon, they deliver very fast. I just ordered two books from there last thursday and got them on saturday (sent from UK to Norway) :)

hope both of you check back here and voice your opinions of the first book :yes:

Oh, I would really love to read more of this!

By the way, myling is called macich here, but it is the same concept.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never read more than a page of that book.

It always happens something before I get a chanse to read it. Maybe I will buy it, so I can read it for once (it souns so interesting). :lol:

It looks like a good read, but unfortunately I can't find any bookstores on line who carry it...Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Boaders...all nill..

I've never read more than a page of that book.

It always happens something before I get a chanse to read it. Maybe I will buy it, so I can read it for once (it souns so interesting). :lol:

You definately should read it :D

It looks like a good read, but unfortunately I can't find any bookstores on line who carry it...Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Boaders...all nill..

The publisher (linked to in the first post) has it, amazon.co.uk has it :)

You definately should read it :D

The publisher (linked to in the first post) has it, amazon.co.uk has it :)

Thanks Prawus, I'll check it out.. :)

Thanks Prawus, I'll check it out.. :)

My pleasure :tu:

I really hope this series sells enough for them to publish all the books (and the authors other series as well).

It had a significant impact on me growing up and hopefully more people will be able to share that experience now that it's available in english :)

I advice anyone trying it out to at least get the first 5 books. By book #5 you get a good feel of what the entire series will be like.

And they are very easily read, all around 250 pages that fly by.

The release date for book number 2, titled Witch-hunt has been put back a few weeks. It was supposed to come out 8th of august, but is now set to be published the 21st instead.

You can get it at the publishers website or on Amazon.co.uk

****SPOILER WARNING****

About the book:

In Witch-Hunt, Silje Arngrimsdotter, the seventeen-year-old heroine of the opening novel Spellbound, struggles to come to terms with the harshness of life in a high mountain valley among the witches and warlocks of the mysterious Ice People.

Having fled there for her life with her adored ‘wolf man’ and two foundling infants from the Trondheim plague, Silje has bravely borne their first child. But this life of austere poverty is shattered when bloodthirsty, witch-hunting troops invade the remote valley.

Warned in time, Silje, her ‘wolf man’ and their charges flee from the carnage to the lowlands again to begin a new life. But unknowingly are they also carrying with them into the future the accursed heritage of the Ice People?

Info about the first 4 books, including cover design, can be found here.

Edited by Prawus

It is making me crazy that I can't find these books anywhere to buy!

I just gave you two links to where you can buy it in the previous post :P

I just gave you two links to where you can buy it in the previous post :P

It's a bummer because they don't ship over here to the States. I'll keep checking and see if and when it comes out here..

Try Powell’s Books in Portland Oregon, Goalienan, it is huge a whole city block long, they have an on line link and I have gone there and found rare signed first additions of a lot of books, and if not dry independent book dealers in Jersey and New York City, don’t give up upon your search, you will find it…

Good Luck...

Pavot

It's a bummer because they don't ship over here to the States. I'll keep checking and see if and when it comes out here..

That's strange, they've said they ship worldwide:

http://www.margitsandemo.co.uk/forum/viewt...hp?f=10&t=5

(the admin there works at tagman press)

Try using this form and ask if they do ship or not :)

Try Powell’s Books in Portland Oregon, Goalienan, it is huge a whole city block long, they have an on line link and I have gone there and found rare signed first additions of a lot of books, and if not dry independent book dealers in Jersey and New York City, don’t give up upon your search, you will find it…

Good Luck...

Pavot

Wow, what a store, just browsed but am going back later..They do have it, it say's UK edition so I assume that's the one I want..Thanks Pavot :)

That's strange, they've said they ship worldwide:

http://www.margitsandemo.co.uk/forum/viewt...hp?f=10&t=5

(the admin there works at tagman press)

Try using this form and ask if they do ship or not :)

Thanks Prawus, I did send in the form, but also went to Powells Books that Pavot recommended and they have it there..(UK edition)..appreciate the help :)

The Legend of the Ice People. ... sounds like a cool book.

Thanks Prawus, I did send in the form, but also went to Powells Books that Pavot recommended and they have it there..(UK edition)..appreciate the help :)

My pleasure :tu:

The Legend of the Ice People. ... sounds like a cool book.

books actually, 47 of them :D

(44 good/great, 3 average)

Got an email from tagman press today saying "Witch-Hunt" is now available. So order now! ;)

unfortunately I ordered from amazon months ago and will have to wait a while.

The Legend of the Ice People: Witch-hunt is out now!

Check out the announcement on Sandemos official forum:

Here!

Order your copy straight from the publisher:

Here!

Read the first chapter online:

Here!

Last but not least

Read The Times' review of the first tow books of the series!

Link

Sorry for the double post, but I felt this news was post-worthy :tu:

• 1 month later...

I like the first chapter of the first book. My wife and I are always looking for new books to add to our already bulging library.

Thanks alot for posting here Kirsty! it's great to see someone from the publisher taking such an initiative :)

Can't wait 'til my copy of Yearning comes in the mail!

linked-image

and I really hope alot of members here gives these books a try :):wub:

newblodmoon: give it a shot and see if you like it! The more you read, the better it gets (in my opinion).

Edited by Oderint