Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Werewolves, could they be real?

spikeman25

I know there's probably been a thread like this done before but i'm just curious as to why people write the possibility of them existing so fast and writing them off as just legend and myth since there have been sightings and accounts going back to the middle ages and roman times. I for one am a firm believer in them because not all the people that have had close encounters with one can be all just making it up, And i know there are certain conditions that cause excessive hair on the face but it's pretty rare. Thing is there are just things that surpass the laws of science, And i think it's very narrow minded to have the attitude that if i haven't seen it it doesn't exist.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• EtuMalku

• Mattshark

• spikeman25

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your argument can be said for the like of bigfoot also. Many sightings, can they all be dismissed. But the difference between bigfoot and a lycanthrope is that bigfoot would more than likely be a distant relative of Gigantopithicus Blacki. A werewolf, however, would be a human being who morphes into this creature which seems a bit of a stretch and would have to be a process deemed supernatural. I still think werewolves kick butt.

I'll never believe werewolves exist until one comes along and bites me on the bum..... ;)

I'll never believe werewolves exist until one comes along and bites me on the bum..... ;)

Kinda like little red riding hood. "Oh Gramma what big teeth you have!" "All the better to bite your bum, my dear...." Ya gotta love it.

Your argument can be said for the like of bigfoot also. Many sightings, can they all be dismissed. But the difference between bigfoot and a lycanthrope is that bigfoot would more than likely be a distant relative of Gigantopithicus Blacki. A werewolf, however, would be a human being who morphes into this creature which seems a bit of a stretch and would have to be a process deemed supernatural. I still think werewolves kick butt.
I agree it's a stretch, But could you agree that if there wasn't something to it with all the sightings in wisconsin and across the U.S , Europe also that all those people couldn't have been nut's or hallucinating? Thing is werewolf accounts go back as far as medieval scotland and the rest of europe and including the roman times, And different cultures including the native americans call it a skinwalker or a manito, The thing is all these people wouldn't be making this stuff up for their health or just for a good story. The thing is like i said before their are things that surpass the laws of science . As for something like bigfoot could there be a very large primate lurking in the forests of the U'.S? definetly and if they've been around for along time and are smart they probably know how to avoid human contact. Same goes for werewolves since very few people believe in them wouldn't that make it easier for them to blend in with todays society? I' wouldn't mind going to wisconsin in the future jusdt to do some research on the beast of bray road and just talk to a couple of people that have have pretty good knowledge of it.

I agree it's a stretch, But could you agree that if there wasn't something to it with all the sightings in wisconsin and across the U.S , Europe also that all those people couldn't have been nut's or hallucinating? Thing is werewolf accounts go back as far as medieval scotland and the rest of europe and including the roman times, And different cultures including the native americans call it a skinwalker or a manito, The thing is all these people wouldn't be making this stuff up for their health or just for a good story. The thing is like i said before their are things that surpass the laws of science . As for something like bigfoot could there be a very large primate lurking in the forests of the U'.S? definetly and if they've been around for along time and are smart they probably know how to avoid human contact. Same goes for werewolves since very few people believe in them wouldn't that make it easier for them to blend in with todays society? I' wouldn't mind going to wisconsin in the future jusdt to do some research on the beast of bray road and just talk to a couple of people that have have pretty good knowledge of it.

You are right, there has been many threads identical to this many times. One shuts down, one opens up. Perhaps a search might yield the answers you seek.

The theory where Werewolves were born from hideous criminals escaping justice by way of convincing the masses that such supernatural entities exist through monetary and authorative influence is one I favour. Monetary influence amongst the well to do helped many a cad escape the hangmans noose, or more appropriate punishment, and allowed then to continue their twisted existances slaughtering peasants for pleasure under the guise of such tales.

Makes a whole lot of sense, a great deal more than a human changing into an alternate species by way of moonlight. Explains the widespread legend very well too.

Heck, if the moon can do that, surely we can power our cars by it instead of fossil fuels?

If it could happen, it would have been on Jerry Springer by now.

Edited by psyche101

Hmm, not too sure what magic two words to go with here...oh heck, I'll go with both:

Search function.

Physically impossible.

Kinda like little red riding hood. "Oh Gramma what big teeth you have!" "All the better to bite your bum, my dear...." Ya gotta love it.

LOL......I do.....I do.... :P

First the types of werewolves I do accept, not that they are anything more than human but, if they believe it then it is real for them. Lycanthropes in the medical sense and therians or otherkin werewolves.

Lycanthropy /ly·can·thro·py/ (li-kan´thrah-pe) delusion in which the patient believes he or she is a wolf or other animal or can change into one. SOURCE: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/lycanthropy

A therian is someone with a deep, open personal connection to an animal spirit or animal spirits. Sometimes these connections come mentally, physically, or spiritually; whatever the case, therians are people who are deeply connected to a side of themselves that is animal in nature. It's like having a part of yourself that is totally non-human, and yet is so intricately linked to you that you aren't you without it. Some people have more than one animal-side, which is why I said spirits. Not all therians are wolves. SOURCE: http://www.witchscauldron.net/cauldron/weres.htm

I do not think the physical werewolf exists, therians and lycanthropes that purposefully cultivate slight wolf like characteristics yes, but not a physical shift into a wolf or any other animal for that matter.

I know there's probably been a thread like this done before but i'm just curious as to why people write the possibility of them existing so fast and writing them off as just legend and myth since there have been sightings and accounts going back to the middle ages and roman times. I for one am a firm believer in them because not all the people that have had close encounters with one can be all just making it up, And i know there are certain conditions that cause excessive hair on the face but it's pretty rare. Thing is there are just things that surpass the laws of science, And i think it's very narrow minded to have the attitude that if i haven't seen it it doesn't exist.

I have two things to say. Go preach somewhere else. And YAWN! Like i havent heard these half baked rants before...

Hello werewolf thread #1433322545648931475, your cowheart is ready :hmm:

On a serious note, lycanthropy as an actual physical transformation and not mental disease or something else is something I keep an open mind about. However I do keep a rational eyes towards it, because something like this...people would gladly go out of their way to hide it completely so no one would ever know. So genuine cases would be rare as black diamond (I mean seriously, if you go show people your a frickin werewolf or skinwalker...they'll be picking up your bullet ravaged corpse and burning it in no less then thirty minutes)

Hello werewolf thread #1433322545648931475, your cowheart is ready :hmm:

On a serious note, lycanthropy as an actual physical transformation and not mental disease or something else is something I keep an open mind about. However I do keep a rational eyes towards it, because something like this...people would gladly go out of their way to hide it completely so no one would ever know. So genuine cases would be rare as black diamond (I mean seriously, if you go show people your a frickin werewolf or skinwalker...they'll be picking up your bullet ravaged corpse and burning it in no less then thirty minutes)

If one ever did make itself known, that would be the reaction. Humanity would want to capture, test, classify, define and kill such a creature, same if they ever found any other more or less mythological creature or being. Yet these beings are said to be at least as intelligent, if not more so than humans. Would humans in general really suppose such a creature would volunteer for thier scrutiny? I know if I were such a being I would do all I could to avoid such, and likely succeed given I'd have to live in close proximity to, maybe even prey on humans. I think such a being would know humans rather well and know how to keep itself in the realm of myth and shadows

A person that is a werwolf, true werewolf, would probably only come forward in an attempt to say "This is who I am, this is what I am...please understand" and just as usual...either no one beleives and sends them to the loony bin to become some cookiecutter b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t. concept society knows as "Normal" or they get a bullet and are cut up for study.

It's the nature of the human beast.

A person that is a werwolf, true werewolf, would probably only come forward in an attempt to say "This is who I am, this is what I am...please understand" and just as usual...either no one beleives and sends them to the loony bin to become some cookiecutter b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t. concept society knows as "Normal" or they get a bullet and are cut up for study.

It's the nature of the human beast.

Either that or present themselves as a more acceptable, if controversial 'cousin' such as being simply otherkin or a mental wolf. ;) Easy way to not have to hide every quirk, be able to socialize and yet avoid being discovered for all you are. That tatctic would let such a creature be in close contact, even befriend humans and gauge if society was ready to accept such beings. [Doubt that will ever happen.]

Hmm, not too sure what magic two words to go with here...oh heck, I'll go with both:

Search function.

Physically impossible.

LOL, I agree, physically impossible... :D

I have two things to say. Go preach somewhere else. And YAWN! Like i havent heard these half baked rants before...
I'm not ranting, I tried to start a rational disscussion of the subject, And nobody forced you to come in and read it, Jackoff

The idea of werewolves does seem improbable, considering the difficulties which one would have to overcome to actually change one's physical form. While I myself don't believe such a change is impossible (nature provides many examples of physical changes to many forms of life), it would be extreamly difficult, and would most likely take considerably longer than the examples all of us have seen in films. If you take the shapeshifting out of the werewolf myth, then it becomes a bit more believable. There are stories of a monsterous race called the Cynocephalli, in Latin this means "dog heads". A good example is Anubis, the jackal headed god of Egypt. It may be possible, that at some time in the past (many thousands of years ago), a species of canine developed the ability to walk upright. This is not so far fetched as you might think. Just check out the website for a dog called Faith, it was born with a sever defect to it's front legs which had to be removed. Faith walks very well on just two legs. If creatures like these exist, they could be what started the Werewolf stories. Check out the Michigan dog man or Beast of Bray road. They fit better with this theory then with werewolves. Although, I will not discount the werewolf alltogether, alfter all, there is some pretty strange stuff out there, an nobody knows all of it.

Good Journey

Kyle Rajasthan.

They don't believe because it would have biological evidence if it did. Historically a lack of medical knowledge would have made misdiagnosis extremely common, hence these historical cases can be dismissed as such especially as the no supporting evidence exists currently to show that any such think is possible. No evidence despite what people say is evidence against.

Thing is there are just things that surpass the laws of science, And i think it's very narrow minded to have the attitude that if i haven't seen it it doesn't exist.

True, there are things, but the thought of a human being shapeshifting into a giant wolf like creature is pretty ridiculous. Physical werewolves do not exist in my opinion, though there are some people who claim to save the soul of a wolf in them, i guess they could be called "werewolves" in the spiritual sense. If there ever comes anny reasonable proof of werewolves existing, ill think about it, but until i see that proof, or have an encounter of my own, i am skeptical.

Durr; sightings of what exactly? Wolves? Or some bizarre man with fur? It's not like people see another person turning into an animal of some sort every other day. Surpass the laws of science? -- Perhaps merely inaccurate wording on your part; it's not the laws of science that are violated by things considered to "surpass the laws of science", but the old models of man being inaccurate and/or inaccurately applied to whatever subject -- thusly, the laws are not being violated per se but the human understanding of them corrected to fit a new discovery or something alike.

People have a tendency to leave unreliable witness testimony; often what they actually witnessed was something vague and unclear, and their imagination eventually fills in where reality takes off. "Very few people believe in them; blend in;" - I mean, a man with grey fur and ears and claws and such features would be quite a striking sight even in a dope-dazed San Francisco underneath a full red moon.

There were "Berserker" cults among the Finno-Urgic ( Finn, Estonian, Lapp, Hungarian) and Germanic people ( Saxon, Wend, Frank) who used a wolf totem and wore a wolfskin instead of a bear.

Warriors of the Nanticoke, Conoy ( Kanawha), and Shawnee wolf clans wore skins and heads of wolves.

Among the Adena moundbuilding culture from whom these tribal cultures stem from, wolf warriors had wolf jaws attached to their faces to mimic the creatures snout. The warriors had their front teeth pulled out and the jawbones were grinded down to fit in the sockets. I started a thread about this cult some time ago.

I can't provide a link. You would have to pick up a anthropology book for the source.

Lapiche

Edit: Skinwalkers mostly appear as hairless wrinkled humans who move fast. A wolf is one of the many creatures they are proported to appear as. Tsalagi (Cherokee) "Booger" Dancers and Nishnab (Ojibway) Midi Clowns (Widigokaan) use wolf costumes too.

Edited by Piney

LOL, I agree, physically impossible... :D

And I also agree.

The physical trauma caused by such a change, from the rearranging of bones and muscles would kill any creature.

It seems absurd that is in question.

I think that if people paid less attention to cartoons and more attention to reality that this would not be such a common subject...

Quiet honestly I think it is a load of garbage so you are saying that people suppossedly have seen people morph into these things? I dont think so I think people have only spotted this walking hairy thing that could easily be described as bigfoot

Everybody knows the werewolf hangs out with Dracula and Frankenstein.

Just a very absurd topic.

Maybe we ought to get all the werewolf threads together and have a party!