Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What age?

norwood1026

Until kids are old enough to stay home alone you have to drag them everywhere you go, so if you go to church or Pagan ritual you either have to take them or find a sitter. Sitters aren't cheep. Whether you want to or not if you are an active member of a religion your kids are exposed from birth.

That's pretty much what I was going to say :yes:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielost

• norwood1026

• Grandpa Greenman

• LadyHay

Top Posters In This Topic

Religious wars prove that having religion does not make a person non violent, thuggish, with shooting and knifing, etc...

The comment on the drug taking, drinking sex machines is also not necessarily caused by lack of religion. It is a baseless claim, IMO.

Coming from Atheist-agnostic parents I would have to agree with that. My father was a life long atheist and he didn't drink, take drugs, and indulge in amoral sex.

Coming from Atheist-agnostic parents I would have to agree with that. My father was a life long atheist and he didn't drink, take drugs, and indulge in amoral sex.

Sorry someone has to ask this question was your father raised an atheist.

Since Baptists practice adult baptism I once asked a veteran Northern Kentucky Baptist pastor how young the youngest person he'd baptized had been.

"Two," he responded.

That surprised me, but he went on to explain that the boy had repeatedly asked to be baptized, without any especial encouragement from his parents, and moreover when the the pastor closely questioned the child out of the presence of his parents he was wholly unable to trip him up. The child not only knew that he wanted to be baptized but WHY.

But, the pastor continued, here's the chilling part - if a two-year-old child could make a decision for Heaven he could also have made it the other way.

I've known atheists who were highly moral, ethical and downright straight-laced individuals.

This is a very well-known and attested phenomenon and G. K. Chesterton addressed it specifically in his famous poem "Higgins Was a Heathen."

According to Chesterton, Professor Higgins was the kindest and most decent of Atheists whose main occupation and delight was taking care of his two elderly maiden aunts.

"If I were a Heathen," wrote Chesterton, "I'd build my funeral pyre on high and my soul in smoke and ashes would roar ascending towards the sky."

But Higgins? Oh, "they put him in an oven....just like he was a pie."

Edited by OldTimeRadio

No my father wasn't raised an atheist, but I don't know what church they went to. I do know his mother ran off with the preacher and left her family. He never saw her again. I think that had a lot to do with him becoming an atheist. If you ask him about it he had his reasons and told me he had never seen or heard from God, so he didn't think there was a god. I believe he told me he became an atheist at age 8. He was more into science and natural systems. For a man with a 10th grade education he was very knowledgeable about nature and science. He was a WWII vet and was a very moral man. You don't have to have religion to be moral.

Meaning...? If he was raised with god in his life, this is why he doesn't drink, engage in promiscuous sex, etc?

Darkwind:

You don't have to have religion to be moral.

That about caps it. I get the feeling that our godly friends here are insinuating that we, who don't accept god, are beneath them.

My children know I am pagan and they know why. I was raised with no religion. I do not drink, do not smoke, and am not promiscuous. I am moralistic and a good mother. And I am sensitive to others.

I used to smoke, and I am now divorced. Wonders be... I still don't think I am a bad person, or that those two facts are because I am "godless".

Edited by LadyHay

At what age should you indroduce your children into religion? Children & religion have been a big topic so I thought I'd ask this because I don't think that we've touched on this yet.

Could indroucing them into religion to early hurt or help them?

What say you?

In the womb as well as reading stories and singing (though the story and song do not necessarily have to be religious but as a part of beginning education and socialization of a child while still in the womb). Then as soon after being born as they can to be dedicated to the Lord in church.

I agree with Omnaka that prayer begins soon as the pregnancy is know, with Mr Walker in that taking children to church is the norm, and with OTR in that baptism should only happen once a person decides they want to be, for that is a personal choice in which they truly decide they want to continue the path of their parents.

Edited by Clovis