Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What did Tesla mean?

brave_new_world

"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all previous centuries of its existence." ---Nikola Tesla

Does anyone know what Nikola Tesla means by this statement? Can it be interpreted to mean spiritual or metaphysical reality?

• Like 1

"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all previous centuries of its existence." ---Nikola Tesla

Does anyone know what Nikola Tesla means by this statement? Can it be interpreted to mean spiritual or metaphysical reality?

I think it means exactly that when science studies the spiritual side of our existence it will make more progress.

• Like 1

I would say that it encourages real objectivity.

Each of us has a left and right brain. We think of learning by using our logical mind. We think of creative expression by using our intuitive mind.

Once we learn to balance these attributes, blend them, and use them together, we will step into another dimention of understanding.

John

• Like 4

I think it means exactly that when science studies the spiritual side of our existence it will make more progress.

Salaam (Peace) I agree completely.

well whatever he meant I think we would progress alot of we took note of things like UFOs or Cold Fusion (missing particle from fusion) that would let us learn of new technologies available....

Edited by Open your mind

Can it be interpreted to mean spiritual or metaphysical reality?

I think kind of both. It depends on what you mean by "spiritual". Spiritual as a metaphysical reality transcendental of our universe or the nature of such entities shown possibly?

Edited by Dragohunter

I wish I knew what Tesla meant, but I figure he actually referred to ethereal. Started studying Tesla's work for my MSc. thesis 15 years ago hoping to recreate his zero point energy. Much of what is published today is incorrect on the technical side, because of (insert oil industry, government, illuminati conspiracy theories here...)... Regardless, I still poke around even today in my retirement spare time. Kind of my own search for the Holy Grail :)

• Like 1

It means Spirit, when science includes spirit and Love in its equasions, it will make leaps and bounds.

Love Omnaka

I think it refers to phenomena of the mind. Things like remote viewing, ESP, telekinesis, etc. I really don't see any reference to spirituality. Just phenomena of the human mind.

• Like 1

Sag!ttarius is most likely correct in that this is a quote in reference to aether or ether. It has nothing to do with the spiritual, metaphysical, or paranormal.

Edited by Clovis
  • Like 1

I wouldn't know, but I love it.

Science cannot, by definition, study "non-physical" phenomena.

Tesla - an engineer, not really a scientist - was a raving lunatic in his later years. That quote likely comes from that period of his life.

Harte

• Like 3

Tesla - an engineer, not really a scientist - was a raving lunatic in his later years. That quote likely comes from that period of his life.

Harte

Yes It would be nice to think Science is done at the physical level, Thats not true though, Try telling that to the other races which live in our universe who have attained faster than light travel/ speed.

And have visited us from other Galaxies/ Universes . Science will study Spirit, and it will change The way science is Experienced.

Love Omnaka

Harte

Many theoretical physicists are convinced that spacetime and energy are not the main things composed in the fabric of reality.

Yes It would be nice to think Science is done at the physical level, Thats not true though, Try telling that to the other races which live in our universe who have attained faster than light travel/ speed. And have visited us from other Galaxies/ Universes.

Okay. Care to introduce me to a member of such a "race?"

Many theoretical physicists are convinced that spacetime and energy are not the main things composed in the fabric of reality.

They are also convinced that science, by definition, cannot study "non-physical" phenomena.

Harte

They are also convinced that science, by definition, cannot study "non-physical" phenomena.

Harte

That would just prove that our perspective of science isn't everything or even the majority of everything.

Okay. Care to introduce me to a member of such a "race?"

Harte

You will meet them in time. Just as science will acknowledge spirit in time.

Creation is not done with science, It is done with unconditional love and Consciousness, Or spirit.

Love Omnaka

You will meet them in time. Just as science will acknowledge spirit in time.

Creation is not done with science, It is done with unconditional love and Consciousness, Or spirit.

Love Omnaka

And you know these races exist because?? How can you go faster than light? Light is relative to everything since time stops at ( c ). You can't slow down more when time is stationary. That's like saying what's north of the north pole.

• 4 years later...

What did Tesla mean when he said: "The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all previous centuries of its existence?” ---Nikola Tesla

Most Skeptics worth their salt will know of the nine proofs for the existence of God formulated by Thomas Aquinas. Three are worth mentioning here to carry this discussion forward. The Proof from Design; the Proof from Contingency; and finally the Proof from the Existence of the Moral Law. I have always accepted the Proof from Design as obvious. The Proof from Contingency is profound. But the Proof from the existence of The Moral Law is not regarded as a Proof at all. In my opinion this is a mistake. It is not a “proof” in the accepted sense i.e. ‘because the Moral Law exists there must be a Law-Giver who is God.’ This interpretation is naïve and misses the point. What happens with the Moral Law is that when it is violated then our society begins to fall apart. You can take any one of the examples of the Moral Law contained within the Mosaic revelation commonly called the Ten Commandments and apply this proposition. Let us take number seven e.g. “Thou shalt not steal.” The word steal probably has more euphemisms than any other word in the English language so it is a widely accepted Law even if it is broken so many times. It covers corruption and uncontrolled greed which eat away at the fabric even of our present day society. It is the foundation of the problems with the falling dollar right now. Debasement of the currency of the people is surely “one of the sins crying to heaven for vengeance.” In 2000 years of our history since the coming of Jesus Christ every time debasement has taken place it has led to the establishment of a Fiat currency with no gold backing whatsoever. And as surely as night follows day this in turn has led to the complete collapse of the currency of the Fiat followed by complete economic collapse for the society of the time. What could be more conclusive!

By the way, I am a lifelong scientist (and theologian) and have always been on a quest for the truth. I refuse to accept that science is anything other than the search for truth. Each question a scientist thinks he has answered most often immediately opens up a hundred or more questions which all now need answering.

Finally the perennial discussion which explores whether God exists or even whether He made man – to my mind is now obsolete. The questions of today are not: whether God made man but how He made him; and not: if God exists but why he exists.

As Tesla said until we begin to accept such positions we are doomed to continue making those centuries of mistakes and will never see the “ten years of progress” he talks about.

• Like 1

How would worshipping a graven image destroy society.?Catholics have been doing that for centuries.

What did Tesla mean when he said: "The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all previous centuries of its existence?” ---Nikola Tesla

Most Skeptics worth their salt will know of the nine proofs for the existence of God formulated by Thomas Aquinas. Three are worth mentioning here to carry this discussion forward.

Or backwards, this discussion was after all about science. The scientific methodology is a bit more strict when it comes to evidence, and for good reason.

What happens with the Moral Law is that when it is violated then our society begins to fall apart. You can take any one of the examples of the Moral Law contained within the Mosaic revelation commonly called the Ten Commandments and apply this proposition. Let us take number seven e.g. “Thou shalt not steal.”
Really, so you can show that not keeping the sabbath holy will also decay society?

It is interesting that when some believers reference the Ten Commandments they go straight for the obvious ones (which also happen to be found in other belief systems), but ignore the archaic and intolerant ones.

By the way, I am a lifelong scientist (and theologian) and have always been on a quest for the truth. I refuse to accept that science is anything other than the search for truth.
What are your credentials?

Finally the perennial discussion which explores whether God exists or even whether He made man – to my mind is now obsolete. The questions of today are not: whether God made man but how He made him; and not: if God exists but why he exists.

As Tesla said until we begin to accept such positions we are doomed to continue making those centuries of mistakes and will never see the “ten years of progress” he talks about.

If you are indeed a scientist, you should be aware the scientific method does not accept such unsupported positions.

Modern science is relatively young, so your "centuries of mistakes" doesn't quite make much sense.

Harte

Maybe he became a lunatic. After others claimed his inventions and left him pennieless.

Tesla was without any doubt one of the greatest minds ever.

On the other hand, he comes from a devoted religious family so that could have something to do with what he said.

Maybe he became a lunatic. After others claimed his inventions and left him pennieless.

Tesla was without any doubt one of the greatest minds ever.

On the other hand, he comes from a devoted religious family so that could have something to do with what he said.

Most brilliance doesn't always come from a sane mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting quote. In his early days he despised religion and spirituality and such, but later on he seems to kind of veer off into more mystical things. He started devoting his time to learning about death, He was working on a radio to communicate with the dead at one point. What's this quote dated?

Edited by mayonnaise

QUOTE (Harte @ Jun 24 2008, 07:29 PM)

Harte

Harte

Harte

So what DO they think it's composed of? Science is built on proving or disproving theories & hypotheses, and as young as science is, I imagine we're only at the very beginning of discovery. You know, like that time line where humankind is only one inch or so on a line that's a mile long, then science must be what, 1/4 of an inch. Would I love to be around 100 years from now and see how thinking has changed and science has progressed.