Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hidden area beneath Antarctic ice revealed

UM-Bot

Image credit: NOAA
Image credit: NOAA
With jagged mountain ranges, plunging valleys and majestic lakes, Antarctica has scenery to rival any beauty spot in the world – except that no-one has ever seen the continent's hidden landscape.

For more than 25 million years, the fifth biggest continent on the planet has remained locked under a massive ice sheet that has concealed its secrets through out the whole of human history.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: The Telegraph

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paracelse

• FiveFig

• iSeeDeadPpl!

• RipeFRuit

I can't wait to see what they find. With such low temperatures and pressure, who knows what may be preserved under it all?

if it had the same temperture as britan 40 million years ago, think of the fossels that would be under there,

Quite astonishing , if I do say so myself. Perhaps new fossils will be found indicating to new diferent species. And I, myself, am quite interested in the composition of the antarctic soil.

Quite astonishing , if I do say so myself. Perhaps new fossils will be found indicating to new diferent species. And I, myself, am quite interested in the composition of the antarctic soil.

I agree with you. Anything can can be hidden under that ice, im excited and egar to see what could be don there.

I agree with you. Anything can can be hidden under that ice, im excited and egar to see what could be don there.

Atlantis duh!

Even Piri Re'is map shows it loud and clear :D

Edited by FiveFig

they might find megatron =o

After 40 million years, wouldn't the glaciers gouge out most its original surface and leaving a completely new surface?? *Just a thought.*

Whatever was left would be in the ocean by now?

Gawd! sometimes I have to read what I typed before posting. Sorry

Edited by Bear's Quest

I have been waiting a long time for ths news. After hearing of Mamoths found in Siberia, I have wondered for many years what might be under that ice, If they don't find a Muttaburasaurus or Leaellynasaura remains under there I'll be mghty suprised! Imagine finding some preserved tissue or skin! The place would have to be a goldmine. What an honor it must be to be on that team. New discoveries are pretty much guaranteed!

Maaaan, maybe they'll like totally find those awesome lost civilisations that might have been thriving during the time when Antartica wasn't covered in ice... like on those ancient maps that, that Turkish captain had.

Or maybe they'll find that pyramid from that shocking movie...we ALL know which one im talking about!

Maaaan, maybe they'll like totally find those awesome lost civilisations that might have been thriving during the time when Antartica wasn't covered in ice... like on those ancient maps that, that Turkish captain had.

Or maybe they'll find that pyramid from that shocking movie...we ALL know which one im talking about!

Witness the danger of mainstream thinking on the subject of dating:

"For more than 25 million years, the fifth biggest continent on the planet has remained locked under a massive ice sheet that has concealed its secrets through out the whole of human history"

That's nonsense. The Piri Re'is map proves beyond all doubt that this continent was not frozen, at least during a period where mankind was in existence and had topographic mapping abilities that were advanced enough to actually draw the landmass beneath the ice of said continent with almost total accuracy.

The article goes on to quote the figure of Antarctica being frozen for '40 millions years'. Our mainstream figures are appallingly off the deep end. Something has got to be done about these mainstream accepted ideas pertaining to the history and origins of our race.

they might find megatron =o

Same thought here, man!

Its really exciting, what sort of creatures must be living there... perhaps they have become resistant to such extremes growing up in same environment for millions of years...

Piri Reis was not a captain, he was a (Piri) admiral, he was also a vizier and it is as such that he was decapitated. There are also several other "portolans" (maps) (guide to ports translation). If you want to read something serious about those maps, you may consider reading Hapgood, Charles H. Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age (ISBN: 0525476067).

It's a difficult book that involves trig and non-Euclidian geometry, but it will enlighten you. :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

What makes you think they should find fossils, when in Siberia, they found entire mammoth who still had grass and buttercups in their mouth.... If Hapgood was right in his theory of Earth Crust Displacement (and Einstein thought he was), then it's entire creatures that we should be expected to find... and maybe they were already but we wouldn't know about it, since science does not pass on information that would change our history books so lightly

Witness the danger of mainstream thinking on the subject of dating:

"For more than 25 million years, the fifth biggest continent on the planet has remained locked under a massive ice sheet that has concealed its secrets through out the whole of human history"

That's nonsense. The Piri Re'is map proves beyond all doubt that this continent was not frozen, at least during a period where mankind was in existence and had topographic mapping abilities that were advanced enough to actually draw the landmass beneath the ice of said continent with almost total accuracy.

The article goes on to quote the figure of Antarctica being frozen for '40 millions years'. Our mainstream figures are appallingly off the deep end. Something has got to be done about these mainstream accepted ideas pertaining to the history and origins of our race.

Thank you... I was saying this all along.. Have you read The Map of the Ancient Sea King by Charles Hapgood? It's extremely rewarding.