Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monsters of the deep still undiscovered

UM-Bot

user posted image rGiven their size, you might assume they had all been found by now. But scientists believe the world's oceans are still hiding giant underwater creatures which have yet to be discovered.

Marine ecologists have predicted there could be as many as 18 unknown species, with body lengths greater than 1.8 metres, still swimming in the great expanses of unexplored sea.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Sydney Morning Herald

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Myles

• Incorrigible1

• Paracelse

• JonnyC

I like the idea of there being lots of undiscovered creatures out there, and I don't think they are meant to be found.

Stands to reason though with the oceans being so big that they could stay so elusive for so long, yes?

:)

I am amazed that mankind has not put more effort in to exploring and commercializing the oceans. The scientific challenges are as great as Space Exploration for those who don't wish to leave the planet. Science Fiction has predicted underwater farming, mining, hunting. All in what is really an Alien Environment.

And We already know there is Water and Alien Life forms. But there just doesn't seem to be as much interest. <_<

While I'm ever hopeful for the discovery of unknown species, and the corresponding expansion of our understanding of the natural world, the original posting seems rather optimistic.

It is possible that an undiscovered species or a few exist undetected by modern technology. But what a bunch of BS in that article!! The part that read - Marine ecologists have predicted there could be as many as 18 unknown species, with body lengths greater than 1.8 metres, still swimming in the great expanses of unexplored sea - is funny pages stuff if you ask me. Why not 20? Why not 17? I bet the marine ecologists that predicted this are the laughing stock of their profession.

Does it really matter on the exact number? the point of the article is there are unknown large sized species still living in parts of the ocean we have yet to discover.

Does it really matter on the exact number? the point of the article is there are unknown large sized species still living in parts of the ocean we have yet to discover.

Not "are." Some of us are questioning the precision of the predictions of unknown species. 18? How the heck is the OP able to predict 18 unknown species?

From the OP, "Marine ecologists have predicted there could be as many as 18 unknown species, with body lengths greater than 1.8 metres, still swimming in the great expanses of unexplored sea."

If I remember right, we've only explored 1% of the deep sea floor.

If I remember right, we've only explored 1% of the deep sea floor.

Very, very few large creatures are able to exist on the deep sea floor.

Very, very few large creatures are able to exist on the deep sea floor.

But if his percentile is correct, we don't know that.

Edited by JonnyC

But what kind of seriousness can we give to an article that uses specific numbers to make their point? If we have no way of knowing then we have no way of knowing.

But what kind of seriousness can we give to an article that uses specific numbers to make their point? If we have no way of knowing then we have no way of knowing.

I agree, but maybe the article was projecting that figure based upon the number of oceanic, anomalous discoveries that have been made exponentially over the last few years. Maybe '18' is the predicted number based on the rate of incoming finds.

I agree, but maybe the article was projecting that figure based upon the number of oceanic, anomalous discoveries that have been made exponentially over the last few years. Maybe '18' is the predicted number based on the rate of incoming finds.

I'm sure they based that number off of something, but It probably wasn't off of recent creatures with body lengths greater than 1.8 metres.

I bet they looked at a globe and pointed and counted aloud "1 here, 1 over here, maybe 2 here, 1 over here, 6 here because we haven't looked there much, a couple on this side".

By using the number 18, they lose all credibility. It's more wishfull thinking.

I want a leviathan. Blow my mind.

TeraLink Was Here!

I really don't see the big deal of throwing out a specific number for a guess. It's no different than when they estimate how many planets could have life, or how many of some endangered species is still left in the wild. I don't think all credibility is lost here.

I really don't see the big deal of throwing out a specific number for a guess. It's no different than when they estimate how many planets could have life, or how many of some endangered species is still left in the wild. I don't think all credibility is lost here.

Personally, I think there's 27 undiscovered large, deep-water species, and my number is just as compelling as the cited 18 figure.

See how silly that sounds?

According to my research there could be as many as 2 undiscovered large deep water species with one eye and a long tail that give live birth after a 13 month period.

I am amazed that mankind has not put more effort in to exploring and commercializing the oceans. The scientific challenges are as great as Space Exploration for those who don't wish to leave the planet. Science Fiction has predicted underwater farming, mining, hunting. All in what is really an Alien Environment.

And We already know there is Water and Alien Life forms. But there just doesn't seem to be as much interest. <_<

i've been saying this for years. there's no telling what all is still undiscovered in our oceans & jungles. we seem more interested in what's on mars though.

i've been saying this for years. there's no telling what all is still undiscovered in our oceans & jungles. we seem more interested in what's on mars though.

I suppose curiosity of the beyond is stonger than getting more intimate with our own planet. It's unfortunate. We still have a lot to learn and to evolve on how to be efficient caretakers of our home, before exploring another planet.

I know right, we seem to know less about our planet than we do about space

• 2 weeks later...

If the number the scientist quoted is exponential in relation to the discovery of the past years, then it would have to be in reference to a certain number of years, if we exceed the number of years, then the discoveries will grow also... is there a new specie created in the sea every so many years???? :o

I know right, we seem to know less about our planet than we do about space

You should know the more we discover the less we know :D

:P