Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Contact The Dead

Novo

Some info on the phenomena? I was planning on testing a board out with my mom but im honestly to freaked out to try it on my own

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Druidus

• Potholer

• Novo

• WorkMonkey

Here is some info for you.

Necromancy

Also known as Nagomancy, it is a form of divination by communication with the dead, one of the claimed black arts practiced by witches and magicians. The classic case of necromancy is the witch of Endor, described in the Bible (1 Samuel 28), who summoned the spirit of Samuel in the presence of Saul. This biblical episode was widely accepted as irrefutable evidence for the existence of witchcraft.

Necromancy (from Greek words meaning ‘dead' and 'divination'), a word corrupted by medieval Latin writers into nigromantia, can be divided into two main branches: divination by means of ghosts, and divination from corpses, both of which represent related forms of forbidden knowledge. The second method led to the disinterment of corpses and rifling of graves for the grisly charms which magicians and witches considered necessary for the effective performance of the magical arts.

To evoke the dead the magician needed to obtain the help of powerful spirits, both for his own protection and to compel the corpse or ghost to submit to his will. A spell from ancient Greece calls upon the powers of the mighty Kore, Persephone, Ereshkigal, Adonis, Hermes and Thoth, to bind the dead. According to a ritual described by Seneca, the Roman dramatist, the summoning of the dead involved not only a burnt sacrifice but a blood-drenched altar. See Grand Grimoire, grimoires and Heptameron.

Ouija

A board and pointer used for divination and to contact the spirit world. The name comes from the French for 'yes', oui, and the German for 'yes', ja.

The board, which has the letters of the alphabet, the numbers 0 to 9, and the words 'yes' and 'no' printed on it, is placed on a table. Participants rest their fingertips lightly on the pointer, a heart-shaped device with three felt-tipped legs. One person poses a question, and the pointer is then supposed to move to answer the question.

Similar board-type instruments were used for divination in ancient China and Greece. In the mid-nineteenth century a similar device, the planchette, came into use in Europe. The modern Ouija board is marketed as a game, originally called 'Ouija Talking Board', and was developed in the late 1890s by an American, William Fuld, who sold the patent to the Parker Brothers game company in 1966.

Ouija boards became popular during and after World War I, when many people were desperate to communicate with friends and loved ones killed in the fighting. Parapsychologists regard the Ouija as a means to tap into the subconscious; critics of its use claim that it is dangerous in that users have no control over repressed material, which may lead to psychological trauma. Most denominations of Christianity condemn Ouija as dangerous tinkering with potentially harmful occult forces and a tool of the Devil.

Also Vodou, Vodoun or Vodun. A religious system with followers predominantly in Haiti in the West Indies, and in other countries to which Haitians have immigrated. Developed by African slaves brought to Haiti by the French between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, it combines features of African religion with the Roman Catholicism of the European settlers.

Voodoo is similar in many ways to other Afro-American cults, such as Santeria in Cuba and Macumba in Brazil. The term voodoo is thought to be derived from the word for 'spirit' in the Fon language of Dahomey, now part of Nigeria. The voodoo religion involves belief in a supreme god (bon dieu) and a host of spirits called loa. Most voodoo practices involve the loa, which are often identified with Catholic saints. These spirits are closely related to African gods and may represent natural phenomena — such as fire, water, or wind — or dead persons, including eminent ancestors. They consist of two main groups: the rada, often mild and helping, and the petro, which may be dangerous and harmful.

Voodoo rites include special ceremonies in which the loa have the power to make their presence known. These are characterized by music and dancing that lead the participants into a trancelike state in which they are possessed by the loa. The spirit temporarily displaces the astral body of the possessed person and occupies his or her physical body. The individual thus possessed is said to be mounted by the loa and behaves and acts as the loa directs, usually in a man ner characteristic of the loa itself. Priests called houngans or priestesses known as mambos preside over these ceremonies.

Other voodoo practices include animal sacrifices and pilgrimages. The focal point of a pilgrimage is usually a Christian church identified with a particular voodoo spirit. The most important of these pilgrimages take place in July and honor Ogou (Saint James) and Ezili Danto (Our Lady of Mount Carmel). Another aspect of voodoo is called 'work of the left hand', which includes belief in zombies.

The Necronomicon of Alhazred, (literally: 'Book of Dead Names') is not, as popularly believed, a grimoire, or sorcerer's spell-book; it was conceived as a history, and hence "a book of things now dead and gone", but the author shared with Madame Blavatsky a magpie-like tendency to garner and stitch together fact, rumor, speculation, and complete balderdash, and the result is a vast and almost unreadable compendium of near-nonsense which bears more than a superficial resemblance to Blavatsky's 'Secret Doctrine'. In times past the book has been referred to guardedly as 'Al Azif', or 'The Book of the Arab'. It was written in Damascus in 730 AD by Abdul Alhazred, in seven volumes, and runs to over 900 pages in the Latin edition.

The book is best known for its antediluvian speculations. Alhazred appears to have had access to many sources now lost, and events which are only hinted at in the Book of Genesis or the apocryphal Book of Enoch, or disguised as mythology in other sources, are explored in great detail. Alhazred may have used dubious magical techniques to clarify the past, but he also shared with 5th century BC Greek writers such as Thucydides a critical mind and a willingness to explore the meanings of mythological and sacred stories. His speculations are remarkably modern, and this may account for his current popularity: he believed that many species besides the human race had inhabited the Earth, and that much knowledge was passed to mankind in encounters with being from other "spheres". He shared with some neo-platonists the belief that stars are like our sun, and have their own unseen planets with their own lifeforms, but elaborated this belief with a good deal of metaphysical speculation in which these beings were part of a cosmic hierarchy of spiritual evolution. He was also convinced that he had contacted these "Old Ones" using magical invocations, and warned of terrible powers waiting to return to re-claim the Earth — he interpreted this belief in the light of the Apocalypse of St. John, but reversed the ending so that the Beast triumphs after a great war in which the earth is laid waste.

The famous H.P. Lovecraft's Necronomicon is a work of fiction, undoubtedly based on the Necronomicon of Alhazred, which is believed Lovecraft never read, but learned of its existence and content through his wife, Sonia Greene, which had been one of Aleister Crowley's disciples, and possibly his lover. There is no question that Crowley read John Dee's translation of the Necromonicon in the Ashmolean; too many passages in Crowley's 'The Book of the Law' read like a transcription of passages in that translation. Either that, or Crowley, who claimed to remember his life as Edward Kelly in a previous incarnation, read it in a previous life! Why doesn't he mention the Necronomicon in his works? He was surprisingly reticent about his real sources - there is a strong suspicion that '777', which Crowley claimed to have written, was largely plagiarized from Allan Bennet's notes. His spiritual debt to Nietzsche, which in an unguarded moment he refers to as "almost an avatar of Thoth, the god of wisdom" is studiously ignored; likewise the influence of Richard Burton's 'Kasidah' on his doctrine of True Will. I suspect that the Necronomicon became an embarrassment to Crowley when he realized the extent to which he had unconsciously incorporated passages from the Necronomicon into 'The Book of the Law' (from Brief history of the Necronomicon).

Related books:

History of the Necronomicon.

H.R. Giger's Necronomicon.

Necronomicon.

Necronomicon Spellbook.

Necronomicon Workbook.

The Necronomicon.

The Necronomicon : Selected Stories & Essays Concerning the Blasphemous Tome of the Mad Arab (Cthulhu Mythos Fiction Series).

The Necronomicon Files.

The Necronomicon Files : The Truth Behind the Legend.

H. P. Lovecraft books.

Further info:

Al Azif : The Manuscript Liber Logaeth.

Call of Cthulhu.

Related audio:

Red Voodoo.

Reggae on the Rocks:Voodoo Sacraments/CD.

Related videos.

Related books:

Rootwork and Voodoo in Mental Health.

Ve-Ve Diagrammes Rituels Du Voudou : Ritual Voodoo Diagrams.

Voodoo Charms and Talismans.

Voodoo Fire In Haiti.

Voodoo Handbook of Cult Secrets.

Weird Science : An Expert Explains Ghosts, Voodoo, the Ufo Conspiracy, and Other Paranormal Phenomena.

More books.

Further info:

The Ancestors in Haitian Vodou.

The Mysteries of Voodoo.

Vodoun Culture.

Voodoo in New Orleans.

West African Dahomean Vodoun.

More info.

Related merchandize:

Ouija Board.

Ouija Board: Glow-in-the-Dark.

Ouija Board: Mystifying Oracle.

Ouija Oracle Card Game.

Related books:

A Cavalcade of the Supernatural.

How to Use a Ouija Board: Communication with the Spirit World.

Katrina and Elishia Learn About Ouija Boards.

Master Guide to Psychism.

Ouija : The Most Dangerous Game.

The Ouija Board : A Doorway to the Occult.

More related books.

Communing With the Spirits : The Magical Practice of Necromancy Simply and Lucidly Explained, With Full Instructions for the Practice.

Forbidden Rites : A Necromancer's Manual of the Fifteenth Century (Magic in History) [Hardcover].

Forbidden Rites : A Necromancer's Manual of the Fifteenth Century (Magic in History) [Paperback].

Israel's Beneficent Dead : Ancestor Cult and Necromancy in Ancient Israelite Religion and Tradition.

The Book of Black Magic and Ceremonial Magic : The Secret Tradition in Goèetia : including the rites and mysteries of Goèetic theurgy, sorcery and infernal necromancy.

Voodoo : A Chrestomathy of Necromancy.

Last time I tried to contact the dead, I raised a bunch of zombies and had to fight them off. I still have some locked in my attic because they wouldn't die. Their shuffling sometimes keeps me awake at night. Then one day I had the imigration office show up to see if I was hiding illegal immigrants in my attic because someone had heard the moans of the zombies. I still wonder if zombies are considered immigrants because none of the imigration people never came back down from the attic to tell me.

Edited by Naveed

Last time I tried to contact the dead, I raised a bunch of zombies and had to fight them off. I still have some locked in my attic because they wouldn't die. Their shuffling sometimes keeps me awake at night. Then one day I had the imigration office show up to see if I was hiding illegal immigrants in my attic because someone had heard the moans of the zombies. I still wonder if zombies are considered immigrants because none of the imigration people ever came back down from the attic to tell me.

grin2.gif

A little more on Ouija boards is this: You don't need to spend $25.00 on one.

Back when I believed in these things, I made a circle with letters on index cards, a Yes, a No, and an upturned wine glass in the center of a smooth table. At my birthday party, some friends of mine and I sat with one finger perched lightly on the glass base and focused on a spirit to appeared. After a little while, I asked if a spirit was present, the glass moved to Yes.

At the time, we were all excited and a little freaked. Since then, I've become fairly skeptical about the whole matter. I have conducted tests and read studies concerning contacting the dead and haven't found a method which reliable and verifiably produces information that could not be gleaded from the immediate situation.

It is a fun little thing to do at parties though, kind of like the Bloody Mary thing. The chill up the spine is worth it, whether it works or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright those methods are all good but another way if you know how to astral travel is to instead of go into the astral plane try to go to another one called the Otherworld. According to the Druids of old thats where you go when you die, and then you wait to reincarnate. Word of warning though. Your mind may become accustomed to it, you may be lulled into a sense of protectedness when in reality you are becoming stuck in the Otherworld and may not be able to return. Exercise extreme caution. It's worth it though cause you can see your former relatives living their lives there. And talk to them. Whenever something is born a person in the Otherworld dies and thats why the Druids would mourn a death when something is born on the physical plane before they would celebrate it.

When using a Ouija board you should take basic precautions , most of which are designed to keep you in a pleasant and stable frame of mind ..

start with an opening prayer , The Lords prayer is generally the most widely acceptable . A ring of salt around the outside of the board , wear something silver and allways say goodbye to the spirit and get it to leave .. also a finishing prayer is not a bad idea either ..

Things to aviod , don't ask the spirit to show itself , or to prove it is there . I'm not entierly sure why not , Only I wouldn't take any unnecisary risks with a board just incase .. original.gif

Things to aviod , don't ask the spirit to show itself , or to prove it is there . I'm not entierly sure why not , Only I wouldn't take any unnecisary risks with a board just incase .. original.gif

I believe it's dangerous to get them to show themselves because, if they decide they don't want to go away, it's a lot harder to get rid of them becuase they are pysically there.

Another thing to avoid is being rude.

I thought astral projection is safe 

Astral projection is safe as you only travel in a part of our dimension, albeit a non-physical one. I was talking about actually entering another dimension with your astral body. It's dangerous there because your string is weakened and staying to long (which many are lulled into doing; the dimension seems normal) can break your cord. Then you can't breathe or beat your heart. That can cause mild discomfort, burning sensations, and or death. So be careful and master astral travel by itself before you try the Otherworld.

It's dangerous there because your string is weakened and staying to long (which many are lulled into doing; the dimension seems normal) can break your cord.

I was going to say that astral projection isn't safe but then I realised I couldn't back it up with any decent information. Therefore I went to a few sites and one of them said that there is no way to break that cord. It is there from the day you're born to the day you die and the only thing that can break it is physical death.

Yes but astral projection across dimensions is a little different then just astral projection. Druids teach that the Otherworld is dangerous that way, and I am a Druid so... yeah. Not saying it's true, but thats what I was taught. I myself have been to the Otherworld. It was terrifying. The part where I was was just Chaos. Everything was constantly changing, and it was hard to focus on anything. I left and came back then so I never had a chance to test whether or not the cord breaks. grin2.gif

I thought the Druids died out with the sacking of Angelsy by Agricola in the 1st C AD?

Edited by WorkMonkey

• 2 weeks later...

Well that kind of happened to me once. I was looking in the mirror with the lights out saying this thing i saw in a book (it had to do with bloody mary) and then i saw her face in the mirror and it totally freaked me out so i hurried up and turned on the lights but the book that i was looking at was doing wierd things like ripping pages out of itself but after a couple of weeks i was alright and nothing wierd happened after that but im still freaked out by the experience.

muybonitanegrita

Well that kind of happened to me once. I was looking in the mirror with the lights out saying this thing i saw in a book (it had to do with bloody mary) and then i saw her face in the mirror and it totally freaked me out so i hurried up and turned on the lights but the book that i was looking at was doing wierd things like ripping pages out of itself but after a couple of weeks i was alright and nothing wierd happened after that but im still freaked out by the experience.

muybonitanegrita

Ah yes, you saw a severed head floating in a mirror behind you and you "hurried up and turned on the lights"

...I'm sure.

I thought the Druids died out with the sacking of Angelsy by Agricola in the 1st C AD?

The druids are not a species or a certain race, they are a religion. You can not make a religion extinct by killing it's followers, as others may still follow the religion. I am a druid, and I am required to know about our history. It happened in 60AD, and while it was a heavy blow for druidry, it did not obliterate all druids. How could it? Druids came from England, Wales, France, Isle of Man, Ireland, Scotland, etc. Pretty much all of Europe. One invasion cannot destroy a religion so widespread.