Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I can't dream...

Supermanfan77

Hey guys, anyone out there, can help me on this? I am having trouble dreaming, when I go to sleep at night, I don't dream, its pitch black, either that, or I can't remember my dreams? anyone out there who can help me? thanks, in advance.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sumthingnice60

• S2F

• Chasexc

• TheLivingDead

try eating a sour pickle and a tablespoon of mustard before going to bed for a couple nights?

I have the same problem, I used to have vivid dreams when I was younger, but not so often now. Maybe 2 a year.

Some people do not remember their dreams at all; although everyone does dream...your brain automatically goes into that dream state several times a night whether you remember the dreams or not...

I have no idea how to change patterns to allow for recall of dreams to occur that you are having...I have never heard of anyone changing their sleep habits so they could recall all of their dreams...it is a good question though...

Go to bed with a clear mind. That helped me dream. And as soon as you remember a dream, write it down. This is important in helping you remember more and more dreams.

I have no idea how to change patterns to allow for recall of dreams to occur that you are having... I have never heard of anyone changing their sleep habits so they could recall all of their dreams

All of them is a tall order. But people who make an effort to journal their dreams often succeed, remembering at least something most nights. It may take a few nights to get started.

Most dream memories slip away quickly, so maybe the journaling task reminds folks to try to recall what they can first thing upon waking, which is your best chance.

(Hi, sumthingnice: you don't have to do anything except sleep in order to dream, which is a lucky thing for a muddy minded type like me. It's the remembering that's tricky, not the doing.)

Edited by eight bits

I think fluffy is correct in that you are more likely just not remembering them .

I was told by my grannie that if you hold a silver spoon in your hand over a plate as you fall asleep you will drop the spoon thus making a noise and waking you up . at which point due to the sudden awakening you will remember the dream you just had . not sure if it works i could never be bothered lugging the cutlery up too bed :unsure2: she also said that after doing this for a while it became a habit of sorts too just automatically remember them . Its kinda like brain training i guess . You never know it could work .. she kept a whole dream diary using this method when something was worrying her . so may be worth a shot . :)

Good luck .

SS

Edited by SS79

Fluffybunny is very correct. Everyone dreams, several times a night, but not everyone remembers them. I'm fortunate, I remember 2-3 dreams a night, which are more like nightmares to most people, but I think I've gotten used to it. I have come to love dreaming, its like watching several movies in one night. ^_^

I have heard that keeping your eyes closed when you wake can help to remember dreams. When your eyes open it floods your brain with info, and its sorta "out with the old, in with the new" kinda thing. :D I haven't bothered to try it, but I just might. And you all are probably correct that I'm just not remembering my dreams. I'll try to remember them and see if I can write them down in a journal or something. :tu:

(Hi, sumthingnice: you don't have to do anything except sleep in order to dream, which is a lucky thing for a muddy minded type like me. It's the remembering that's tricky, not the doing.)

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant keep a clear mind in order to remember your dreams.

I have heard that keeping your eyes closed when you wake can help to remember dreams.

Is that possible? I would think that your eyes would automatically open when you wake up

The basis to not remembering your dreams the basis foundations of self rejection, it's telling yourself not to remember, so that when you wake then you don't remember, but do know you had a dream(s). The funny thing about rejection, is what happens to people later on down the road, at the other end to such an mathematical equal sign.

So my advice is this, your mind told you to forget for a specific reason, either it be harmful to you, or that your just not fully open to infinite possiblities, that those out here in reality call, impossible. To say there are certain things in this life that are impossible, is just another way of saying, birds can't and shouldn't be able to fly, or that cows, aren't the descendants of hippos.

Go your own way in peace

Is that possible? I would think that your eyes would automatically open when you wake up

Nope, the to are separate.

To the OP, you will be dreaming. Not dreaming is actually fatal after a relatively short period and would lead to insanity in the interim. You just are not remembering your dreams (as most people don't for 99% of there sleep).

Edited by Mattshark

Hey guys, anyone out there, can help me on this? I am having trouble dreaming, when I go to sleep at night, I don't dream, its pitch black, either that, or I can't remember my dreams? anyone out there who can help me? thanks, in advance.

Good for you. Don't try to remember your dreams. It won't tell any future events. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Yep. Journal all your dreams. And also there are home remedies that you can look up that help you dream. Old wives tales, etc. You could look up "dream spells" or something like that on Google. I think there is an herb that you can put under your pillow that is supposed to help? I'm not pagan but I'm sure if you asked one they could help you find a remedy to help you dream more. :)

I remember I was not dreaming for some time, I looked up something on the internet and I was told to say this before I sleep: "I am going to remember my dream in the morning, yes I am going to remember my dream in the morning." Well, something like that. ;)

And so I woke up and remembered the dream - which was the dumbest dreams I have ever had! Since then, I preferred pitch-black than dreams so immensely dumb. :)

Yep. Journal all your dreams. And also there are home remedies that you can look up that help you dream. Old wives tales, etc. You could look up "dream spells" or something like that on Google. I think there is an herb that you can put under your pillow that is supposed to help? I'm not pagan but I'm sure if you asked one they could help you find a remedy to help you dream more. :)

I have incredibly vivid dreams if I have a mcdonalds double cheese burgers 5 hours in advance of sleeping.

I have no idea why. But When I have mcdonalds(which is rarely) I know im going to have a crazy night.

Impossible. Everybody dreams. You're just having trouble remembering them. I had a dream the other day and I remembered it when I woke up but forgot what had happened later during the day so don't worry, it's normal. Maybe your body is saving you from trauma :o

One can train theirselves dream recall.

As in before falling asleep , remind yourself to remember your dreams upon wakening.

Writing dreams down upon awakening, as much as you can remember no matter how small the detail.

I know I didnt dream that much either. I kinda liked it, cause it seemed like I went to sleep then woke up instanetly, which was nice...But ever since tryin AP excercises I have real vivd dreams, some of which help me in real life.

Dreams are an interesting field of study - though its when you do and don't dream than I'm more interested in.

ie - when I'm physically tired and just have a quick lie down on bed - I can often find myself starting to 'dream' quite quickly. Though also remaining aware that I'm awake - kinda limbo. However after about 30 mins of so I was aware that I needed to get up - so I made to 'get up' - I was aware of the sence of my body getting up - I could see the wall in front of me - I could sense my feet on the floor, however I then became aware "oh - I'm dreaming this". Nothing vivid, no colour - just faint black and white; I then found myself thinking "how do I make myself ACTUALLY get up - rather than just dreaming it.

Prior to that - I've spent a while on "anti-ds" (fluoxitine) - and dreams where very rare - if ever.

The Fluoxitine (for those of you who are interested) - totally dampens your ability to think - makes you quite sedated - no peaks but no dips either.

Another pattern I noticed was in moving around - ie if you travel a bit - I seem to recall that I dreamt more when coming back or going to somewhere - than I do if I simply stay in the same place. Its not that I did much - simply moving location and spending the night elsewhere seems to promote a little 'burst' of dreams.

I also seem to have that problem but what I realized is that I wake up at least every 3 to 4 hours. I am sch to do a sleep study since I am very weak and tired all the time. I believe I was told that some people don't always reach dream state there mind wakes as rem sleep accures so you really are not getting to rem sleep or not staying long enough to complete the cycle.