Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Were Dinosaurs warm blooded?

S2F

I don't know much about it, but I would be interested in any views or thoughts anyone had on the topic.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S2F

• Mattshark

• Abecrombie

• Incorrigible1

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about it, but I would be interested in any views or thoughts anyone had on the topic.

It is very hard to say for sure since we have never had the opportunity to check, however the evidence does suggest so. With large dinosaurs we would at least assume thermal inertia due to there size. The mass of these animals would retain heat raising there body temperature above the air temperature. Since birds are also direct descendants of dinosaurs we would at least have to assume that somewhere along that line that endothermy evolved and that at very least there would be regional endothermy (as seen in mako and great white sharks and tuna) on the way.

Thanx for your insight Matt :tu: It's one of those questions that we may never be able to answer completely.

I was pleased to read The Dinosaur Heresies in 1986. Dr. Robert Bakker wrote, at the time, a very controversial book about his dinosaur theories. From Wiki:

"The Dinosaur Heresies: New Theories Unlocking the Mystery of the Dinosaurs and Their Extinction was a 1986 book published by Robert T. Bakker, a prominent paleontologist.

The book sums up the extant evidence which indicates that dinosaurs, rather than being cold-blooded and wholly lizard-like, were in fact warm-blooded (homeothermic) creatures.

Although controversial on publication in 1986, the passage of time has proven Bakker correct in many respects, and much of Dinosaur Heresies now represents the prevalent view in paleontological circles."

I cherish my copy of Dr. Bakker's book, and I really should re-read it again, for the third time (over the years).

That sounds like an interesting read Incorrigible, I think I'll check it out :tu:

BTW is there any evidence of modern reptiles that are warm blooded? I know birds are considered to have evolved from dinos, and they are.

(I just did a quick google, and I didn't find any :D )

That sounds like an interesting read Incorrigible, I think I'll check it out :tu:

BTW is there any evidence of modern reptiles that are warm blooded? I know birds are considered to have evolved from dinos, and they are.

(I just did a quick google, and I didn't find any :D )

Sea turtles have regional endotheremy.