Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Earth's Age

alpha84

Im sure this post will have many comments. I dont believe this planet is 65 million years old. It drives me nuts, that scientists suggest this planet is 65 million years old. I would suggest this planet is less than 10 thousand years old, lots of laughs. I welcome comments. I was kind in my comments , I hope for you to be also.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PsychicPenguin

• DC09

• Diebytheflyguy

• Talon

ok for starters, scientists think the earth is around 4.3 billion years old, which is quite a bit more than you thought. I was going to ask for your reasoning as to why you believe it is more like 10000 years old, but then i thought, he obviously knows nothing about the topic, therefore his opinion doesn't matter all that much. Thanks you, please come again.

hmmmm...what he heck is 6 billion years old >.>

Edited by bathory

Hmm I would probably assume that the reason Apha thinks the Earth is so young is possibly religious reasons? Catholics are supposed to believe that the world is only a few thousand years old or something like that cause you're not supposed to believe that there were times of Dinosaurs, cavemen, single-celled organisms etc. going through evolution slowly over time.

Earth started when Adam and Eve were created. Humans were the first creatures ever made, and then came farm animals and stuff. Thats what you're taught to believe.

This, IMO, is just beyond ridiculous. It is impossible that the Earth is so young. From the time of Earth's creation, to the very first plants that began to grow and make their ways across the land, to the very first single-cell that began to evolve into life, the different ages of simple organisms, to all the different dinosar times, then mammlals/birds, etc, cavemen to humans and modern life, blah blah blah.

No- all that could NOT have only happened in less than 10,000 years.

I am not sure why Alpha thinks this, but I am just assuming religion only cause the only other people I know of who think the Earth is really young are Catholics cause you're taught in Church (yep I was taught this too when I was younger and kept up with religion) that Science is all liars and Dinosaur bones are fake and they never really existed- life started with modern day humans.

Actually, to be fair, the catholic religion more or less accepts evolution, and seems to be quite happy with the story of Adam and Eve as a charming metaphor. And certainly nobody is 'taught' in church that the earth is less than 10 000 years old and all dinosaur bones are fake.

As I've reponded I feel it would be incorrect of me to lock this thread, although that will most likely happen in ooh, say 5 or 6 posts. Or whenever Nxt2Hvn reads it. Whichever is sooner.

(Joke, Nxt2Hvn, Joke. Breathe. Breathe.)

THere are generally two types of creationists -

Young earth creationists, who usually believe the earth is no more than 8,000 - 10,000 yrs. They tend to take the bible quite literally.

Old earth creationists, who accept the scientific community's assessment of the earth's age. This group has a more symbolic interpitation of the bible. ie the bible says God created earth in six days, they take that to mean six ages. ect.

And certainly nobody is 'taught' in church that the earth is less than 10 000 years old and all dinosaur bones are fake.

Ummm well I was taught that. That stuff has been specifically talked about multiple times in churches I've gone to over the years, as well as Sunday School.

It was specifically said that you're supposed to believe that dinosaur bones are 1 of 2 things- either a big extravagant hoax by scientists to disprove religion, or that God specifically put big bones in the ground to test people's faiths in religion vs. science.

And I was taught that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old- in fact some Catholics do not even belive in the BC times and the earth is only as old as the year it is (ie the Earth is now 2004 years old according to some).

So yes this stuff IS taught in catholic church. Maybe they stopped teaching this recently, who knows. It's been almost 10 years since I've abandoned organized religion. But it WAS taught. I was there to hear it being taught. And even my dad who is a strict Catholic is aware of these teachings about Earth's age and dinosaurs being fake. I also know other Catholics who were taught this and still belive it. So yes it IS taught and people do believe this.

And it's ridiculous.

And I dunno where catholic churches are finally accepting evolution. But no Catholic person I know will even believe that non-human animals evolve. I even argue with my own dad about this. Your 'supposed to believe' that every animal on the Earth is in it's first and only form. Wolves were always wolves, there was no evolution from one animal that split into wolves, coyotes, etc. God made the wolf as a wolf, God made the coyote as a coyote, etc.

But evolution was always a bad word in the Catholic world I grew up in.

Well I don't know where you grew up, Moonfox, but I come from a staunch Irish-Catholic family. My father was one of the Popes 'yellow-berets', I went to church every Sunday for 16 years, as well as every other holy day you can think of, I attended a strict catholic school - confession once a month, benediction every Friday, I was taught by priests, I said grace before meals and a prayer before every lesson, I served on the altar, had choir practise every week, I had lessons on why and how to join the priesthood- and in all that time and through all that I never heard a whiff, not the vaguest hint that evolution was wrong.

Nobody suggested the earth was anything other than several billions of years old and certainly nobody claimed that dinosaur bones were anything other than what they patently are, and I've paid no attention to catholicism for 15 years.

And certainly nobody is 'taught' in church that the earth is less than 10 000 years old and all dinosaur bones are fake.

Ummm well I was taught that. That stuff has been specifically talked about multiple times in churches I've gone to over the years, as well as Sunday School.

blink.gif

Thats messed up. ph34r.gif

I was taught it that way too.. that the earth was like 10 thousand years..adem..eve..yadda... sept it was with the Methadists...

*shrugs*

But, eh, ya'll know the path I have now... heh.

was anyone ever taught that it was Lilith and Adam, before Eve and Adam?

as for the true age of the earth, they can only guess, but 6 billion sound more realistic then 6 million

please tell more, it sounds interesting!

ph34r.gif

Actually the Roman catholic church has been accepting the possibility of evolution as a hypotheses back in 1950, and approving further study on the subject of evolution, but in the same time put a strong emphasis that it was just a hypothesis and not to be believed yet. This is in fact one of the earliest move within christianity (even today we still have problems with fundamentalists disproving the study of evolution)

In 1998 Pope John Paul II finaly accepted the theory of evolution as "more than just hypothesis." Today Catholics already accept the theory of evolution, and I think it is just a matter of time for other denominations. You can confirm this to your local parish. If you really ask a catholic priest, try to ask about wether or not jesus is God. wink2.gif

as for the true age of the earth, they can only guess, but 6 billion sound more realistic then 6 million

Well.. since Lilith is a babalonian night goddess first.

Much like how the christians took Lucifer for their devil type outfit... Lucifer the roman god of the morning star... Down the line there was a mistranslation... missuse...

I personally never understood how someone could beleive that the earth is any less than a billion years old. The evidence is irrefutable. Apparently they throw science out to the garbage. Ever hear of carbon dating people? To me when someone refuses to beleive in dinosaurs or even cro magnon man, they are saying that they have absolutley no faith in their fellow humans. Which in turn is hypocritical, because religion is run by humans, if you can't beleive in human logic and science, then you may as well be nihilist. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just displaying my views. If you have no faith in humanity, what good are you to anyone?

The church can so suck and egg. They are proved wrong over and over and over again. All they keep doing is apoligizing for their wrongs but they dont do anything else about it.

"Until recently, astronomers estimated that the Big Bang occurred between 12 and 14 billion years ago. To put this in perspective, the Solar System is thought to be 4.5 billion years old and humans have existed as a species for a few million years. Astronomers estimate the age of the universe in two ways: 1) by looking for the oldest stars; and 2) by measuring the rate of expansion of the universe and extrapolating back to the Big Bang; just as crime detectives can trace the origin of a bullet from the holes in a wall."

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/uni_101age.html

PsychicPenguin No, it is actualy 4,758,976,547 years, 4 months and 16 days old

How could the earth be this old when the universe when the Big band occured 12-14 billion years ago, AND the solar system is 4.5 billions years old. So the earth floated around in nothing before the solar system came around. What next, a theory stating that the earth created the rest of the universe? or that "god" created the earth before anything else?

Edited by Diebytheflyguy

I wasn't taught (cause my dad's an athiest and a biologist and wouldn't have any of it, although Primary 1 and 2 certainly tried, then I'd come home and dad would tell me not to pay any attention to the teacher's fantasies... but anyway) but what I know about Lilith mainly comes from watching Evangelion..again... and again.. and again

According to Eva, Lilith and Adam were ... well I don't want to spoil the story, but we were the children of them, not Eve 's and in 2016 Rei Ayanami who is half-human, half-Lilith will merge with Lilith and bring around the next stage of evolution... or rather armagedon

Edit: Oh.... 1000 posts...cool

Edited by Talon S.

PsychicPenguin No, it is actualy 4,758,976,547 years, 4 months and 16 days old

How could the earth be this old when the universe when the Big band occured 12-14 billion years ago, AND the solar system is 4.5 billions years old. So the earth floated around in nothing before the solar system came around. What next, a theory stating that the earth created the rest of the universe? or that "god" created the earth before anything else?

Read my post carefully. It is 4,758,976,547 years is actually very close to 4.5 billion years, or 4,500,000,000 years, in French and American system. In English system then 4.5 billion years is going to be 4,500,000,000,000 years (and there is absolutely no problem for earth being 4,758,976,547 years old). So which one are we using now?

Oh.. one more thing.. before you attack any other post, make sure that the post is not meant to be a joke wink2.gif

Before I attack a post??? what?

I was joking when I said that the earth is 4,758,976,547 years, 4 months and 16 days old. And you asked me how the earth could be that old. tongue.gif

From past experience on this site, many people just don't get sarcasm or jokes and take things waaaay to seriously tongue.gif

Yea most people do. Thats pretty much the reason why threads get locked. (especially mine)