Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

McCain, wife have failed to pay house taxes

Lt_Ripley

McCain, wife have over 225,000 dollars in tax arrears

30 Jun, 2008, 1422 hrs IST, AGENCIES

LONDON: Republican presidential nominee John McCain and his beer heiress wife Cindy have reportedly failed to pay house taxes and owe more than 225,000 dollars on credit cards.

According to The Telegraph and the Newsweek magazine, the McCains owed 6,744.42 dollars in delinquent property taxes on a California home.

After the magazine told the McCain campaign about the tax debt, most of it was paid off immediately. An aide later said that an elderly aunt of Mrs McCain, who lives at the San Diego property, appeared to have ignored the bills.

The McCains own at least seven properties and are fabulously wealthy. But in a recent Senate financial disclosure form, McCain reported that his wife owed between 200,000 and 500,000 dollars on two American Express cards while a joint card was in arrears by between 10,000 and 15,000 dollars.

In addition, one of their dependent children owed between 15,000 and 50,000 dollars to American Express. All the cards appeared to be charge cards, which means the balances have to be paid off each month.

Senator Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee, reported no financial liabilities on his financial disclosure form and listed that he had invested between 100,000 and 250,000 dollars in university savings for each of his daughters, aged seven and nine

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Politi...how/3180187.cms

Edited by Lt_Ripley

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lt_Ripley

• __Kratos__

• Space Commander Travis

• questionmark

Well the last time the National Budget balanced I believe a Democrat was in The Oval Office.

Of course every one Hated Him! ;)

I find it sad they are trying to blame the 'elderly aunt' for their property taxes . I guess she forgot to pay their credit cards too.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

I find it sad they are trying to blame the 'elderly aunt' for their property taxes . I guess she forgot to pay their credit cards too.

They didn't blame anybody. An aide was explaining it.

Mrs. McCain, San Diego County Would Like a Word

When you're poor, it can be hard to pay the bills. When you're rich, it's hard to keep track of all the bills that need paying. It's a lesson Cindy McCain learned the hard way when NEWSWEEK raised questions about an overdue property-tax bill on a La Jolla, Calif., property owned by a trust that she oversees. Mrs. McCain is a beer heiress with an estimated $100 million fortune and, along with her husband, she owns at least seven properties, including condos in California and Arizona.

San Diego County officials, it turns out, have been sending out tax notices on the La Jolla property, an oceanfront condo, for four years without receiving a response. County records show the bills, which were mailed to a Phoenix address associated with Mrs. McCain's trust, were returned by the post office. According to a McCain campaign aide, who requested anonymity when discussing a private matter, an elderly aunt of Mrs. McCain's lives in the condo, and the bank that manages the trust has not been receiving tax bills on the property. Shortly after NEWSWEEK inquired about the matter, the McCain aide e-mailed a receipt dated Friday, June 27, confirming payment by the trust to San Diego County in the amount of $6,744.42. County officials say the trust still owes an additional $1,742 for this year, an amount that is overdue and will go into default July 1. Told of the outstanding $1,742, the aide said: "The trust has paid all bills shown owing as of today and will pay all other bills due."

Dan McAllister, treasurer- tax collector for San Diego County, said that about 3 percent of San Diego's approximately 1 million property owners default on their property taxes each year. The county assesses a 1.5 percent penalty for each month that goes by unpaid and puts houses up for sale after five years. "We do hear an awful lot of excuses for why people don't pay," McAllister said. "Under the law, the property owner is responsible for keeping the address current. We're only as good as the information we are given."

Article here: Link

----------------------------

As for the credit cards, they can obviously pay for it and they're still using them assuming.

McCain once shut door in face of old lady

Republican presidential nominee John McCain, it was revealed today, once went through the door of the Burger King in Peoria, Illinois, and did not hold the door open for an old lady who wa struggling with some heavy bags of shopping.

The old lady said, "This proves he is unfit for office, and demonstrates once again the corruption that is at the heart of the Republican party.

That Barack Obama, now, he bought me a donut." She then scowled at some kids who were hanging about outside, and waddled off in what can only be described as a huff.

McCain eats poopy, vote Cadetak.

Politics use to be more civilized when I ran for the office of fifth grade vice president.

Well the last time the National Budget balanced I believe a Democrat was in The Oval Office.

Of course every one Hated Him! ;)

Hey, the minimum we can expect from our government is that it lives like we do: beyond its means! Ok?

'elderly aunt?' is that code for the c-word?

'elderly aunt?' is that code for the c-word?

*sprays coffee onto the screen*

:rofl:

What's up with people not paying taxes ?

Al Franken, Wesley Snipes, John McCain.

Now when Barry 'O becomes president, I'll probably just quit my job altogether and get in line for my free handout.

So is this it?

This is the best they can come up with?

Apparently, he once shouted at someone in his office as well, though.

Simple. You don't pay your property taxes, the Gov takes your house. That is how it is for the average Joe and that is how it should be for the High and the Mighty.

According to The Telegraph and the Newsweek magazine, the McCains owed 6,744.42 dollars in delinquent property taxes on a California home.

I'm voting for Obama but... get real, folks. That's probably his taxes for 2007-2008. If It's like most real estate tax, it probably went out in May. I'm sure he can afford to pay the 5% penalty and file a month late. He's kinda busy now and maybe he forgot to pay a bill.

I wish we could get the national focus off of this trivial crap and on to serious issues.

I wish we could get the national focus off of this trivial crap and on to serious issues.

But that would reveal that some don't even know the issues...you can't be serious....

They didn't blame anybody. An aide was explaining it.

Mrs. McCain, San Diego County Would Like a Word

When you're poor, it can be hard to pay the bills. When you're rich, it's hard to keep track of all the bills that need paying. It's a lesson Cindy McCain learned the hard way when NEWSWEEK raised questions about an overdue property-tax bill on a La Jolla, Calif., property owned by a trust that she oversees. Mrs. McCain is a beer heiress with an estimated $100 million fortune and, along with her husband, she owns at least seven properties, including condos in California and Arizona.

San Diego County officials, it turns out, have been sending out tax notices on the La Jolla property, an oceanfront condo, for four years without receiving a response. County records show the bills, which were mailed to a Phoenix address associated with Mrs. McCain's trust, were returned by the post office. According to a McCain campaign aide, who requested anonymity when discussing a private matter, an elderly aunt of Mrs. McCain's lives in the condo, and the bank that manages the trust has not been receiving tax bills on the property. Shortly after NEWSWEEK inquired about the matter, the McCain aide e-mailed a receipt dated Friday, June 27, confirming payment by the trust to San Diego County in the amount of $6,744.42. County officials say the trust still owes an additional $1,742 for this year, an amount that is overdue and will go into default July 1. Told of the outstanding $1,742, the aide said: "The trust has paid all bills shown owing as of today and will pay all other bills due."

Dan McAllister, treasurer- tax collector for San Diego County, said that about 3 percent of San Diego's approximately 1 million property owners default on their property taxes each year. The county assesses a 1.5 percent penalty for each month that goes by unpaid and puts houses up for sale after five years. "We do hear an awful lot of excuses for why people don't pay," McAllister said. "Under the law, the property owner is responsible for keeping the address current. We're only as good as the information we are given."

Article here: Link

----------------------------

As for the credit cards, they can obviously pay for it and they're still using them assuming.

here's the point --- it's not rocket science --- if you own property you know there is going to be taxes. One year , ok I can see them missing it. But 4 ? lmao. give me a break. either they didn't know how to manage their property , are dolts or didn't care. take a pick.

I bet they wouldn't have forgotten to itemize when it comes to taking things off their taxes.

and if this had been Obama ? cons would have been all over it like flies on crap.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

One year , ok I can see them missing it. But 4 ? lmao. give me a break.

$6,744.42 is FOUR years of property taxes? Wow. Either California is a lot different from Maryland or someone should check into the fact that they're only paying $1633 a year in property taxes. What are they living in-- a shack? I assumed $6744 was for one year.

$6,744.42 is FOUR years of property taxes? Wow. Either California is a lot different from Maryland or someone should check into the fact that they're only paying $1633 a year in property taxes. What are they living in-- a shack? I assumed $6744 was for one year.

lmao I was thinking the same thing. ours here in Detroit . a single family home , 3 bedrooms 1 and 1/2 baths . detached garage and all in need of work - 3000 a year.

Actually, that amount rings true for a 2BR condo in La Jolla, so says my sister who resided in La Jolla, in a similar 2BR condo (2200 Sq Ft/Affluent neighborhood). What doesn't ring true is the 4 years thing. On a personal note, I was 120 days behind on my property taxes--my wife and I were on our almost 6-month-long honeymoon--and the county solicitor had already sent us several threatening letters--each on different colored paper and in different colored envelopes: do they really think that 'pink' is more serious than 'yellow'?

Actually, that amount rings true for a 2BR condo in La Jolla, so says my sister who resided in La Jolla, in a similar 2BR condo (2200 Sq Ft/Affluent neighborhood). What doesn't ring true is the 4 years thing. On a personal note, I was 120 days behind on my property taxes--my wife and I were on our almost 6-month-long honeymoon--and the county solicitor had already sent us several threatening letters--each on different colored paper and in different colored envelopes: do they really think that 'pink' is more serious than 'yellow'?

I've often wondered that. (Off topic slightly, perhaps, but.) Whenever anyone was sentenced to detention at school, they'd be sent to the office to collect a Pink Slip. Why does pink sometimes have sinister connotations? Do valentines and fluffy bunnies and inflatable hearts have sinister connotations? Well, yes, they do, don't they.

:-/

yes , but after year 2 , they usually send people to the home. and the fact is .......... if you own property of any kind ....... your going to owe taxes.

here's the point --- it's not rocket science --- if you own property you know there is going to be taxes. One year , ok I can see them missing it. But 4 ? lmao. give me a break. either they didn't know how to manage their property , are dolts or didn't care. take a pick.

I bet they wouldn't have forgotten to itemize when it comes to taking things off their taxes.

and if this had been Obama ? cons would have been all over it like flies on crap.

:mellow: They have people that take care of their accounts.

which were mailed to a Phoenix address associated with Mrs. McCain's trust, were returned by the post office.

Seems whoever was in charge didn't think to look into the properties if they didn't get any notice or anything.

:mellow: They have people that take care of their accounts.

Seems whoever was in charge didn't think to look into the properties if they didn't get any notice or anything.

If by some miracle he were to become president, he would have "people" too. And we would continue to go right down the drain.

If by some miracle he were to become president, he would have "people" too. And we would continue to go right down the drain.

And Obama doesn't have people either? Muslim headscarfs comes straight to mind.

Since you're so upset over less then 7k, I would expect you would be furious with over 100k savings that Obama got 'discounted' for:

Obama got discount on home loan

Plus the 300k he saved by not having to pay full price and of course their family friends, who was later convicted of 16 counts schemes, that sold them the lot next to it to expand their yard despite having to pay full price for his lot.

Edited by __Kratos__

Do you have some problem with muslim head scarfs?

What's wrong with getting a discount? That's a far cry from failing to pay your taxes.