Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two brilliant French exchange students

chemical-licker

Two brilliant French exchange students 'tortured, stabbed to death and set on fire' in London flat

Two high-flying French exchange students found dead in their burnt-out flat in Britain were tied up and horrifically murdered, police said today.

Laurent Bonomo and Gabriel Ferez, who were on three-month placements at Imperial College, London, were described as 'two of the brightest students of their generation'.

It is thought the pair may have been tortured before they were killed and their flat in New Cross, south-east London, set alight.

Det Chief Insp Mick Duthie said they were the worst injuries he had seen throughout his career and that he was at a loss to explain why they were attacked.

linked-image Murdered: 'Brilliant' students Laurent Bonomo, above, and Gabriel Ferez, below. Their charred bodies were found in a flat in London which had been set alight

linked-image

The charred bodies of the students, who were both 23, were pulled from the flat late on Sunday evening and detectives still have no idea why they were attacked.

Post-mortem examinations revealed both had been stabbed numerous times to the head, neck and chest before the flat in Sterling Gardens was set on fire.

More...

Witnesses had reported seeing arsonists hurling firebombs through a window. It was also claimed someone was seen using a liquid to start the fire.

Both men had reportedly been tied up before they were attacked. Scotland Yard officers have launched a double murder inquiry and are appealing for information.

Det Chief Insp Duthie said: ‘I am appealing for anyone who may have seen or heard anything suspicious near the address, to get in touch.

‘I am particularly keen to hear from anyone who may have seen anyone near the premises around 9.30pm on Sunday.’

linked-image Investigation: Police patrol outside the flat where two men were stabbed

The pair had won internships at Imperial College after achieving huge academic success as engineers in their home country.

Both graduated from colleges linked to the École Polytechnique, the state-run institution which is viewed as the most prestigious engineering Grande Ecole in France.

Its students train the scientific, industrial and economic elite of the nation, with many graduates going on to become senior politicians or captains of industry.

The fact that both young men had been selected from the Ecole to study at Imperial, arguably the most prestigious science institute in Britain, was a measure of their potential.

'They were brilliant students with glittering careers ahead of them,' said a spokesman for the Polytec, part of Clermont Ferrand university and affiliated to the École Polytechnique.

'There is no doubt that they were two of the brightest students of their generation. Everybody is absolutely devastated at what has happened. Emotions are running very high.'

linked-image Search: Forensic officers hunt for evidence following Sunday's fire

Both victims were well-known at Clermont Ferrand, in central France, where they had 'walked through their exams with distinction', while also excelling at a number of extra curricular activities.

Bonomo, originally from the medieval village of Velaux, close to Aix-en-Provence, was student president at Polytec.

He was born and brought up in the area, having left La Nativite school in Aix in 2001.

His close friend Gabriel Ferez was originally from Prouzel in the Somme region of Picardie, northern France, between Beauvais and Amiens.

During his time off from study, Ferez had worked as a technician at the Hospital Philip Pinel in Amiens.

On a personal website Ferez admitted that his personal life was 'less successful than I had expected'.

Their deaths on Sunday came less than 24 hours after Ben Kinsella, 16, was stabbed to death in Islington on a night out to celebrate finishing his GCSEs.

His murder took the total number of teenagers stabbed to death in London so far this year to 17.

linked-image Shocking: Police originally thought the French students were killed by the fire

THE MADNESS CONTINUES, poor guys, they were clever but not street wise. cant wait for this mystery to be solved

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chemical-licker

• itsnotoutthere

• Bill Hill

• hetrodoxly

THE MADNESS CONTINUES, poor guys, they were clever but not street wise. cant wait for this mystery to be solved

Its everyday something like this is happening, but on behalf of the government i just want to point out Crime is falling to its lowest in 10 years, if it was worse than this ten years ago it must have been civil war on the streets,

there was another shooting here last night, so just goes to show its happening up and down this once green and pleasant land,

I fear you're correct Chemical licker...not being street wise was probably a factor.

Poor guys... :hmm:

New cross.. huh?

Edited by Bill Hill

What the hell is happening to London. :hmm:

I bless myself that I live in a small country village, but how long before the madness spreads.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

What the hell is happening to London. :hmm:

I bless myself that I live in a small country village, but how long before the madness spreads.

When i find out which country village you live in i will put a big poster in london saying

free accomadation

that should just be enough to destroy you :lol::P

When i find out which country village you live in i will put a big poster in london saying

free accomadation

that should just be enough to destroy you :lol::P

Cheers PAL, <_<

Actually I live between Bristol & Bath, & I avoid Bristol like the plague, as things there are going the same way. Local bristol paper is full of stabbings & drugs offences.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

2 French students were stabbed to death in their flat in London. Link

I suppose the anti gun supporters are hiding right now. Take away their guns and they will just use knives ; take away the knives and fists will fly.

I thought the soccer Hooligans were bad , it seems now that a new kind of Hooligan has evolved in britain wielding knives and stabbing innocent victims.

(Chemical-Licker this one's for you)

Edited by heinrich1858

Cheers PAL, <_<

Actually I live between Bristol & Bath, & I avoid Bristol like the plague, as things there are going the same way. Local bristol paper is full of stabbings & drugs offences.

:o not bath i hear thats a nice place, we should dig a hole all around bath keep the foreigners out, thats my place, my heaven the place i am thinking of putting my caravan on. :unsure2: im not gypsy

:o not bath i hear thats a nice place, we should dig a hole all around bath keep the foreigners out, thats my place, my heaven the place i am thinking of putting my caravan on. :unsure2: im not gypsy

Yea, I like bath too, they don't 'do' gypsys in Bath. Park your caravan there & they'll have you moved on in minutes.

:o thats my planned spoiled :cry: ruined 15 years of planning :tu: < in a deep deep deep annoyed voice

Actually I live between Bristol & Bath,

Bath sounds nice...

& I avoid Bristol like the plague, as things there are going the same way. Local bristol paper is full of stabbings & drugs offences.

yep, London's like Bristol.

In fact this crime has the MO... of the same problems faced in Bristol.

it seems now that a new kind of Hooligan has evolved in britain wielding knives and stabbing innocent victims.

lol evolved only for the purpose to stab innocent victims :rofl:

I suppose the anti gun supporters are hiding right now. Take away their guns and they will just use knives ; take away the knives and fists will fly.

I thought the soccer Hooligans were bad , it seems now that a new kind of Hooligan has evolved in britain wielding knives and stabbing innocent victims.

Yes I think the word 'evolved' is somewhat out of place in the context. perhap devolved would be more apropriate

Edited by itsnotoutthere

Bath actually welcomes foreigners, but the sort that go back home after two weeks.

I think you'll find the majority were already using knives before they came to the UK.

i know all about soccer hooliganism :tu:

The answer swamp the dance floors with drugs like what happened in the 90s guess what everybody got loved up and just wanted to party. but we cant have that the police would have nothing to do.

Gosh.. I'm not sure what else to say.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080704/tuk-...rs-dba1618.html

Detectives investigating the murders of two French students who were tortured and stabbed to death say they expect to make an arrest soon.

The bodies of Laurent Bonomo and Gabriel Ferez were discovered in a burnt out bedsit in southeast London.

They had been bound, gagged and stabbed to death. A pathologist later documented 243 separate injuries to their badly-burned bodies. Mr Bonomo suffered 80 wounds after he had died.

Officers said they were hunting for a white man seen running from a rented bedsit London moments after it exploded.

One source said officers were still unsure if one or more people were involved. But he added: "We expect to make an arrest sooner rather than later."

The detective responsible for the inquiry said the injuries were the worst he had ever seen and left everyone involved in the

investigation "deeply shocked".

It is believed the two Frenchmen may have been tortured for several hours after being surprised by an intruder as they played a computer game.

Police said Mr Bonomo, of Velaux, and Mr Ferez, of Prouzel, were "entirely innocent", with no criminal background in France or the UK.

Detectives said a burglary at the flat six days earlier in which a laptop was stolen could be linked to the double murder.

Forensic experts have found no evidence of forced entry and one line of inquiry is that a stolen set of keys may have been used.

Firefighters discovered the men's bodies after smashing their way into the burning ground-floor flat in Sterling Gardens, New Cross.

Neighbours dialled 999 after an explosion blew the windows out and ignited a fierce blaze shortly after 10pm on Sunday.

Investigators believe a petrol-like accelerant was poured on or near their bodies, possibly in a bid to destroy evidence.

Det Chief Insp Mick Duthie said: "The extent of the injuries are horrific. Everyone working on this case, including myself, has been deeply shocked by what we have seen.

"I have never seen injuries like this throughout my career. We are here today because I don't know why these boys were killed or who killed them.

"I do believe, however, that those responsible must have been blood-stained when they left.

"I would not say this was a professional attack. I would say it was a frenzied, horrible, horrific attack.

"I imagine it would take some considerable amount of time to inflict the nature of the injuries."

strange.

Detective Bill Hill can't get an angle at the moment.

waits for more info...

man, I was reading this french blog, where the writer was talking about the case and saying, they too felt unsafe in London because 'gangs of skinheads' were roaming around.

AH LMAO... :lol:

when was this, the sixties?

If you see a gang of skinheads let me know...

Like, you say Chem, if this the prevailing attitude... it's very naive.

Edited by Bill Hill

gang of skinheads in london, if i wanted to see a gang of skinheads i would goto a gay bar, thats where they all hang out these days :lol:

Now hang on i only know this because i watch television ok :angry:

gang of skinheads in london, if i wanted to see a gang of skinheads i would goto a gay bar, thats where they all hang out these days :lol:

Now hang on i only know this because i watch television ok :angry:

gay skinheads on television!!!!! hope it was after the watershed. :o