Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Welsh and Gaelic are official EU tongues

questionmark

July 5, 2008

Welsh and Gaelic are official EU tongues

Welsh and Scottish Gaelic will soon be echoing around the European Union's corridors of power under an agreement that Britain is about to sign with its EU partners. The deal, which could be rubber-stamped as early as Tuesday, will mean that individuals will be able to write to the EU's Council of Ministers in either language - and that the Council, where governments take political and legislative decisions, will have to reply in the same tongue.

British representatives may also use the languages in official Council meetings. Once the agreement is formalised, Britain will negotiate similar arrangements with the European Commission, the European Ombudsman - which handles complaints - and other EU organisations involving parliamentary, regional and business representatives.

Depending on your point of view, the move is either confirmation that the EU is turning into a latter-day Tower of Babel, adding two relatively little-used languages on the fringes of Europe to the 23 that already have official status; or it gives 580,000 Welsh and 60,000 Gaelic speakers the same rights as millions of other citizens to communicate in their native language with Brussels institutions, whose decisions increasingly affect their daily lives.

A spokesman for the British Government said: “This is great news for those British citizens that speak our regional languages and demonstrates that the Government does deliver for the regions in Brussels. We believe this is also an important part of bringing our citizens closer to the EU.”

Full story, source: The Times

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Commander Travis

• Atheist God

• stevewinn

• questionmark

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pleased about that. I'm indifferent one way or the other about the EU, but giving them a kind of official status is at least a step in keeping them alive, which is something that pleases me.

Brilliant.

I wonder if they'll be able to be learnt in Colleges or Schools some time in the near future.

Brilliant.

I wonder if they'll be able to be learnt in Colleges or Schools some time in the near future.

Just move to wales - you'll have no choice just like all the other non Welsh born kids whose parents have moved the for work

or It could be worse you could be Welsh born like me and not be able to speak it (I could never quite get the 'pint of flem in the throat' sound you need to sound authentic!)- god it causes hassle with my family! :lol:

Edited by glyndowers heir

Yet another pointless exercise from the EU.... create dozens of highly paid jobs for translators and interpreters of defunct and pointless languages. I wonder if Euskera, catalan, and Galego are on the list the list of "official" languages as well....

Yet another pointless exercise from the EU.... create dozens of highly paid jobs for translators and interpreters of defunct and pointless languages. I wonder if Euskera, catalan, and Galego are on the list the list of "official" languages as well....

See here:

http://ec.europa.eu/education/policies/lan...langmin_en.html

Yet another casual point of view from a troll that dosent understand the struggle of a minority ... but please don't stop your side splitting humor. its brilliant witty and lame

Edited by ~ MacDDT ~

I don't see why these need to be official languages when almost no one speaks them.

I don't see why these need to be official languages when almost no one speaks them.

beth an 'n benffol

beth an 'n benffol

English only as the board rules state.

I think they ought to be.

Just move to wales - you'll have no choice just like all the other non Welsh born kids whose parents have moved the for work

or It could be worse you could be Welsh born like me and not be able to speak it (I could never quite get the 'pint of flem in the throat' sound you need to sound authentic!)- god it causes hassle with my family! :lol:

:lol:

Yeah, I'd imagine sore throats for Welsh-language learning. :P

spot on Keith, half the Welsh cant even speak the lingo, I've been going to north and south Wales for years (fishing trips) and the only time i've heard welsh spoken is when your in the valleys. or you tune into the welsh radio channel,

i wish i could speak Welsh though, i'd get a job working for the EU as a translator, am dying to get on one of these political gravy trains,

i was in town the other other day and guess who i seen, the EU president himself, Barroso i gave him the two finger salute/V sign which is in keeping with how the English longbowman greeted our European enemies friends :lol: and he waved back, :rofl:

spot on Keith, half the Welsh cant even speak the lingo, I've been going to north and south Wales for years (fishing trips) and the only time i've heard welsh spoken is when your in the valleys. or you tune into the welsh radio channel,

i wish i could speak Welsh though, i'd get a job working for the EU as a translator, am dying to get on one of these political gravy trains,

i was in town the other other day and guess who i seen, the EU president himself, Barroso i gave him the two finger salute/V sign which is in keeping with how the English longbowman greeted our European enemies friends :lol: and he waved back, :rofl:

Off subject Steve, is that sea fishing and if it is do you have much success, i've heard that some good catches can be made off Llandudno pier, i live on the English side of the Welsh border just about an hours drive to the coast, it would be nice to fill the freezer :)

the EU president? i wouldn't recognise him if I tripped over him.

mind you, i wouldn't recognise any politician if i tripped over him.

Maybe I have done, without knowing.

"Oops, sorry... hey, aren't you David Cameron?"

Off subject Steve, is that sea fishing and if it is do you have much success, i've heard that some good catches can be made off Llandudno pier, i live on the English side of the Welsh border just about an hours drive to the coast, it would be nice to fill the freezer :)

no mate its coarse fishing. River Dee, Severn, wye what have ya and the odd lake, but mainly rivers........... never really been into sea fishing,........ i guess your into the sea fishing though?

What about Irish? Or is that already in? I hope it's not... Irish sucks, it sounds horrible and like no one here (Ireland) knows how to speak it properly