Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Collected "Facts" about shadow people.

Amarali2012

I think when you turn away from God or religion, and become caught up in what to, and what not to believe in, we become more vulnerable to the spiritual realm. Its my belief that everyone needs something to believe in, whatever God, is your choice, but our God is a forgiving one, so you are not a hyporcite for asking for his help at this time of your life. Negative entities and such, feed off our fear and also our lack of faith, so the stronger you become, the weaker they become so its a win win situation. You could also try to pray to St.Michael he is the protector against evil, and even once a day or before bed, could help your situation as well.. Good luck..JN

:yes: Strongly agree. "If you believe in nothing, you are nothing." If you have nothing to believe in, then you have nothing to live for. If you have no reason to live, why fight back? :yes:

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amarali2012

• Aanica

• veledran

• JustNormal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I the only guy here who hasn't seen a shadow person? I feel so left out...

Anyway, has anyone looked into apophenia as a possible cause for the numerous sightings of these beings in the shadows? For those of you who are unaware what apophenia is, it is sort of like an error in the mind. When the brain is presented with a load of unfamiliar information that it cannot process instantaneously it sort of randomly assigns where it goes.

If someone were alone at night, I believe it is highly possible that whilst looking among the shadows their brain might make up an image, IE a person, which is familiar to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

The above link has several credible references, which explains apophenia more thorough than I do.

Anyway, has anyone looked into apophenia as a possible cause for the numerous sightings of these beings in the shadows? For those of you who are unaware what apophenia is, it is sort of like an error in the mind. When the brain is presented with a load of unfamiliar information that it cannot process instantaneously it sort of randomly assigns where it goes.

If someone were alone at night, I believe it is highly possible that whilst looking among the shadows their brain might make up an image, IE a person, which is familiar to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

The above link has several credible references, which explains apophenia more thorough than I do.

There are thousands of sightings all over the world for hundreds of years, I have seen them up close they are not apophenia

Thanx again for the advice. I will try your suggestions. To be honest the thought of prayer arises nearly every time this happens but for some reason I hold back. i think maybe it's because i feel like a hippocrate praying all of a sudden just because I'm scared. I do understand what you're saying though and will definitely give it a try. I feel stronger already being able to talk about it and knowing I am not alone in this.

If praying isn't you thing, then don't do it. Praying to any deity isn't my thing, so I don't do it. Every person on this planet has some degree of strength within them. And the more one depends on it, understands it, accepts it, the stronger it becomes. This inner strength can work in conjunction with religions, though I follow none, and wholly depend on myself.

But if you're ever in a situation that makes you uneasy, and praying makes you feel like a hypocrite or makes you feel weird, try protecting yourself. There are various ways to do this. You can envision a "shield" or "bubble" around you, that has the intention, purpose of keeping whatever "Entity" you are uneasy with away from you. You can use semi-precious stones, Amethyst and quartz, for example. Either wearing say, jewelry with these stones, or buying the stones in the rough - I've encountered quite a few people, over the years, that carry these stones for "protection", and they claim that they work. If you believe in, and have some inkling of your "Spirit guides" you can also ask them to help you. I've met quite a few people that have a stronger relationship with their guides than a deity, and have an easier time asking them for help, accepting their help.

There is a lot of methods and ways to protect yourself from situations that make you uncomfortable or scared. So, if prayer doesn't work for you, don't lose hope.

I wish it were that simple but that doesn't really explain my situation at all. It doesen't explain something I can see right in front of me, plain as day. And not just every once in a while but EVERY time I am in the dark, whether I am alone or not. And it is not a person, like I said, they have no no distinctive features at all. Just black forms, human like in size and shape and that's really hard to be sure of. The problem is that their forms seem to be moving or shifting, I always think of the word "writhing" when trying to think of some description, so it's hard to really get a firm understanding of what it is that I'm looking at.

You can use semi-precious stones, Amethyst and quartz, for example. Either wearing say, jewelry with these stones, or buying the stones in the rough - I've encountered quite a few people, over the years, that carry these stones for "protection", and they claim that they work.

My mom is into Wicca and really believes in the stones thing. She actually mines her own quartz crystals and won't let anyone touch them. I will talk to her about it, I haven't as of yet.

If you believe in, and have some inkling of your "Spirit guides" you can also ask them to help you. I've met quite a few people that have a stronger relationship with their guides than a deity, and have an easier time asking them for help, accepting their help.

There is a lot of methods and ways to protect yourself from situations that make you uncomfortable or scared. So, if prayer doesn't work for you, don't lose hope.

This is something I don't know anything about but would definitely be interested in looking into. Any good internet resources you would recommend?

I wish it were that simple but that doesn't really explain my situation at all. It doesen't explain something I can see right in front of me, plain as day. And not just every once in a while but EVERY time I am in the dark, whether I am alone or not. And it is not a person, like I said, they have no no distinctive features at all. Just black forms, human like in size and shape and that's really hard to be sure of. The problem is that their forms seem to be moving or shifting, I always think of the word "writhing" when trying to think of some description, so it's hard to really get a firm understanding of what it is that I'm looking at.

Well, how about the EMF theory? The theory basically states that Electro Magnetic Fields or EMF's in high doses can disturb the functions of the temporal lobe in the brain. Direct results of this disturbance can be both auditory and visual hallucinations, nausea, illness, and a feeling of dread.

High EMF fields are normally found in houses with bad wiring or without enough insulation. Therefore, older houses or places with electricity usually emit large amounts of EMFs and have higher reports of paranormal sightings.

Well, how about the EMF theory? The theory basically states that Electro Magnetic Fields or EMF's in high doses can disturb the functions of the temporal lobe in the brain. Direct results of this disturbance can be both auditory and visual hallucinations, nausea, illness, and a feeling of dread.

High EMF fields are normally found in houses with bad wiring or without enough insulation. Therefore, older houses or places with electricity usually emit large amounts of EMFs and have higher reports of paranormal sightings.

That's a good idea, if she can find out how to test for this. I agree all other factors must be ruled out if possible

I started reading a few pages back in this thread and came along "the hat man". Heres my story....I've had a few experinces in my parents house, from voices, to feelings of being chased down my hall way in the middle of the night after I was finished using the Bathroom. I've never really seen anything before until one day....

I was with my brother in the house, he had gone to his room which is down the hall way. I was in the kitchen and I could look clear down the hall to my brothers room from where I was, all of a sudden I saw a Black Shadow in the form of a man with a cowboy hat walk across the hall like he came out of the bathroom and went into the living room...I was like wtf? I called to my brother and said are you in your room and he said yes..

As I recall later on that very day I went to was just settling down to sleep when a man said one word to me I opened my eyes with a start and cried out, I settled back down and it did it again, waking my mom with my shout.

Since then I haven't had that happen again. But I have had something touch my left ear twice while I was trying to sleep at my own apartment.

To be honest the thought of prayer arises nearly every time this happens but for some reason I hold back. i think maybe it's because i feel like a hippocrate praying all of a sudden just because I'm scared. I do understand what you're saying though and will definitely give it a try. I feel stronger already being able to talk about it and knowing I am not alone in this.

You're welcome, Windy, and it seems you have had a couple excellent advisers check in. I'm good. Akaebeel is good, depending on your own orientation, so I feel good for your end result. You have a nice little array there of insights to choose what feels right for you.

I will say I find it curious you said you think to pray when this fear strikes, but then feel like a hippocrit. These things bothering you are of a group who have the nickname of "accusers", being considered minions of The Accuser. Now, I am not going to get into the devil/angel thingamajig. Too much religion starts creeping in for my nausea levels. However, there is no reason to fear your own Creator or these things, either, so this is very possibly a lie they use to discourage you from what they do not want you to do. Just a thought. Guilty feelings, fear, dread, thinking you're losing your mind, all of this breaks you down. Just be wary of their nasty game and aware of their ploys.

But, you know my "agenda" :). I believe in my Maker. I have gotten over this sort of tormenting and do not get bothered by them anymore. I know it worked for me. I advise as worked, and have zero interest if you get religious or join this or that church or Eastern Religion or Wicca. I am an ordained Mambo asogwe in Vodou, so don't lump me into the Somethingmethobapticostals or whatever. It is not a bad thing to know your Maker wanted you to be here and wishes you well, even if this plane is rather screwy.

So, go as feels true to YOU. Go with what proves to work. That was always my yardstick to judge beliefs by. They work, or they're cow-poo. For you.

His advice, mine, someone else's or a blend is kewl. Just be encouraged and know you can take control and aren't alone, and you're not nuts, either.

People who have dealt with crud like this, tend to get very strong in thier views, they have seen too much to be doubting what they know to be true. It is wierd that they also do not always agree on all points, if you think about it, but that is part of the diversity out there as well. There is so much out there I don't think one could ever run out of things to find. At different stages, possibly we learn different things which we can master and use.

So, relax, and go for it, and do let us know how you do, if you wish :).

It's all good.

NS

:) don't. They're nothing to write home about. Millions of reports, but billions of people. Not everyone sees them. Some see them a lot, I have seen them a few times. Not for a good while, now, though, and most of the sightings did not cause any problems. Curiosities, at best. None due to EMF or apophenia.

NS

I have seen shadows on two occasions in this flat. One was like a blob and the other were like legs going past me. However, I remember having had one encounter with a shadow person, which I will never forget. This topic brought it all back to me; so much so, I found it hard to get off to sleep last night.

When I was homeless in America (I am British,but seperated from my American husband), a red-indian family were kind enough to take me and my daughter in. To this day, I remember them, and I also remember what I had seen in their house.

First of all, I am a bit sensitive to the paranormal. As soon as, I got into the house, I sensed a prescence of a man inside the house. Where these people lived was in a house with no running water to speak of, and the house, like all the other houses in the town was delipidated. Where they lived was practically a ghost town. All the other houses around them had long fallen into disrepair.

My daughter and I had gone to bed in one of the upstairs bedroom. I looked and saw this figure standing beside the bed. It was a full moon that night, so I knew he was there. I was worried about my daughter, as he felt menacing. I grabbed my daughter out of the cot, and shouted at it saying, 'You're not real'. It was something I will never forget. There were some posters on the wall. It went over and ripped one off the wall, and then disappeared. It terrified me something chronic. I knew he didn't come in, or out by the door.

I found out later from the family from the family that a man had committed suicide in the house. I think they told me that he shot himself. I described the shadow man, as having had what I thought a bald head. I told them that he was very angry. They said that they had had encounters with him, themselves and just didn't let it bother them.

I wonder if some shadow people are like this man; they are grounded, because they took their own life and live in the shadows.

I am not normally terrified of the paranormal. I think part of my fear was I was concerned about him hurting my daughter. She was quite young at the time and my instinct to protect her took over my fear of the entity, although I still remember him going towards her cot. I have not had anymore encounters like that one, where I felt threatened, or my child's life threatened before.

I got the impression that his wife and child may have left him, when he was alive. However, it didn't allay my fears for myself and my daughter from this entity. I hope to never encounter another entity like him in the future.

Admittingly, I have learned not to fear them, as they feed on fear.

Why I couldn't sleep was because I was reliving the event, after reading the topic, before I went to bed. If I encountered another being like that now, I am unsure of my response. The entity I encountered was very negative and threatening.

I sometimes wonder, if some shadow people could be people in other dimensions trying to come through into our dimension. I think there could be several explanations to their existance, but I am not sure if there is a 'one size fits all' explanation for all the different sightings. The one that I encountered was somebody who killed himself and was in darkness full of anger and possibly hate. However, this may not apply to all of them, especially the daylight sightings.

That's a good idea, if she can find out how to test for this. I agree all other factors must be ruled out if possible

That would make sense if I was in the same place this whole time. I have moved around alot in the past few years and it happens wherever I happen to be. The house I'm living in now is fairly new and it is really strong here.

You're welcome, Windy, and it seems you have had a couple excellent advisers check in. I'm good. Akaebeel is good, depending on your own orientation, so I feel good for your end result. You have a nice little array there of insights to choose what feels right for you.

I will say I find it curious you said you think to pray when this fear strikes, but then feel like a hippocrit. These things bothering you are of a group who have the nickname of "accusers", being considered minions of The Accuser. Now, I am not going to get into the devil/angel thingamajig. Too much religion starts creeping in for my nausea levels. However, there is no reason to fear your own Creator or these things, either, so this is very possibly a lie they use to discourage you from what they do not want you to do. Just a thought. Guilty feelings, fear, dread, thinking you're losing your mind, all of this breaks you down. Just be wary of their nasty game and aware of their ploys.

But, you know my "agenda" :). I believe in my Maker. I have gotten over this sort of tormenting and do not get bothered by them anymore. I know it worked for me. I advise as worked, and have zero interest if you get religious or join this or that church or Eastern Religion or Wicca. I am an ordained Mambo asogwe in Vodou, so don't lump me into the Somethingmethobapticostals or whatever. It is not a bad thing to know your Maker wanted you to be here and wishes you well, even if this plane is rather screwy.

So, go as feels true to YOU. Go with what proves to work. That was always my yardstick to judge beliefs by. They work, or they're cow-poo. For you.

His advice, mine, someone else's or a blend is kewl. Just be encouraged and know you can take control and aren't alone, and you're not nuts, either.

People who have dealt with crud like this, tend to get very strong in thier views, they have seen too much to be doubting what they know to be true. It is wierd that they also do not always agree on all points, if you think about it, but that is part of the diversity out there as well. There is so much out there I don't think one could ever run out of things to find. At different stages, possibly we learn different things which we can master and use.

So, relax, and go for it, and do let us know how you do, if you wish :).

It's all good.

NS

I really just want to thank you for taking the time to genuinly respond to my posts. That alone has given me some courage to try to start to actually deal with these things rather than just lay in fear of them. You have given me alot to think about and have really boosted my confidence in my own understanding of what is actually happening. So again, thank you. :) I will keep you posted.

Hello everyone! I am spending the holidays with a friends and wanted to share a personal account I overheard: My friend's sister-in-law and I were discussing ghosts because the house we are staying is is haunted. Somehow the conversation turned to shadow men. She perked up and in a very excited tone conveyed an account with the Old Lady. She said she had been sleeping but was awakened by a "very bad feeling" only to discover that she could not move. She said that there was a shadowy person standing over her and holding her down. She felt weak and even said that the thing must have been draining her. She does not remember how she got free, or when, but that when she woke up much later, she could not really remember much of he ordeal, other than what she told me.

That would make sense if I was in the same place this whole time. I have moved around alot in the past few years and it happens wherever I happen to be. The house I'm living in now is fairly new and it is really strong here.
They are attracted to the person and will follow you I imagine they have followed you. I have had them around me all my life. I really don't like them either, but they are a nuisance more than anything. I have not seen them in a while but I have kept vigilant with my spiritual warfare and once in a great while one will show up. I do a cleansing an that's the end of that. I believe that you are like I have been, they are just attracted to you and you will have to keep vigilant and be strong in whatever faith you have. there are lots of links to find out about about them one was at the first of this post #1 This is a link to Rosemary Guiley, she has done a lot of work in this field and her link maybe very helpful in understanding the shadow folk. There are a couple of titles in the link I found to very accurate and beneficial..

Rosemary Guiley

• 2 months later...

If you will all look to the post I made on December 27, I have new information on this story: I stayed in the same room myself just last weekend. This room is the coldest one in the house, and the door has a habit of slamming shut for no apparent reason, even when it is propped open! I remember not being able to get all the way to sleep. Something kept waking me up, like an uneasy feeling. The room is also unnaturally dark and seems to swallow any light that sines in from the hall. There was definitely some sort or very dark shadowy presence sitting at the foot of the bad all night! I just tried to ignore it and snuggled in closer to my boyfriend. Eventually I fell asleep. The next day, I told it out loud, "You can go away now, I'm not going to let you ruin my trip! You have no power over me." It did not leave, but it also did not attempt to keep me awake that night either.

That so many of these accounts of "shadow people" involve being in bed suggest to me that they're part of a sleep disorder, such as sleep paralysis. The OP section about being "abducted" by the shadow people is simply to much like accounts of "alien abduction" to dismiss the connection; they seem to me to be two different interpretations of the same phenomenon (whether it be psychological, spiritual, or extraterrestrial). The truly mystifying accounts are the one that supposedly occur when the person is not in bed or trying to sleep, or get back to sleep.

I myself have never seen or heard or sensed a shadow person, a ghost or spirit, an angel or demon, nor a UFO or an extraterrestrial. I'm not sure I believe any of them are real. That leaves me wondering about the psychological state of the people who report them. nevertheless, judging by the posts I've read, I cannot conclude that all the posters on this forum are crazy. The posts are generally well written and convey a sense of being honest.

In short, I simply don't know what to make of reports of paranormal phenomena. As a skeptic, I can only suspend my disbelief and treat the reports as "stories." I would like to add, though, that many of the people who report these extraordinary experiences also seem to believe that they themselves are special, or have been "blessed" with special "gifts." That's a tendency toward hubris which I advise should be guarded against.

In short, I simply don't know what to make of reports of paranormal phenomena. As a skeptic, I can only suspend my disbelief and treat the reports as "stories." I would like to add, though, that many of the people who report these extraordinary experiences also seem to believe that they themselves are special, or have been "blessed" with special "gifts." That's a tendency toward hubris which I advise should be guarded against.

Thank you very much for your reply! Even though I am a firm believer in the supernatural and the paranormal, I too prefer too seek a scientific reason before I cry ghost. If these creatures are in fact real, just one false account could, in fact, discredit the whole field, and these entities will be written off as hoaxes. The reason for this post was an attempt to record any patterns that they may follow, which can help to further the study on them.

Exactly, Amarali. Numerous false reports and hoaxes, as well as a widespread and rather contemptible gullibility, have derailed the scientific investigation of paranormal phenomena and have very nearly discredited such investigations altogether. The "burden of proof" is greater on those who are making extraordinary claims. The first task in any credible investigation is to gather reliable data, preferably "hard" data. Spooky stories about "personal experiences," however entertaining, are totally subjective and unverifiable, and, therefore, should not be admitted as evidence for paranormal phenomena. Unfortunately, hard evidence such as photographs, video footage, and EVPs have become far too easy to tamper with or fake. The next generation of paranormal investigators is going to have to be far less credulous and far more technically competent.

Unfortunately, hard evidence such as photographs, video footage, and EVPs have become far too easy to tamper with or fake. The next generation of paranormal investigators is going to have to be far less credulous and far more technically competent.

I am currently trying to prove or dis-prove a few of my own pictures at the moment. I know how bad it is for us to have fake passed off as being "real". As I said before, yes it is exciting and fun to make a discovery, but I almost always attempt to rule it out scientifically first. I will also admit this: When I first discovered my possible Empathic abilities, I did a few times, use it as an excuse for several irrational situations. I found out far too quickly that doing such only resulted in earning the label of "drama queen". Those of us who do have such gifts must use discretion, and not flaunt it like some sort of immunity. Who in their right mind would bestow credibility on a drama queen? Yes, stories are nice, but they are just stories. You are exactly right. Words are not proof. We are living in time when "believing is seeing". In a world full of fanatics desperately searching for answers, we MUST have concrete proof if we do not want to ruin the entire field of paranormal research.

Basically I've never seen one of these "shadow people" so I can't comment on it but I do think it's interesting that a lot of reports about them are growing.

I think you've made a good start on your investigation. Good luck in getting some hard evidence of these . . . things!

I think you've made a good start on your investigation. Good luck in getting some hard evidence of these . . . things!

Thank you very much for the encouragement! ^_^