Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Collected "Facts" about shadow people.

Amarali2012

hello my friend, glad to see you up date the thread as its a great long running file. I do believe this is going to become a nice reference for those of us studying shadow phenomena.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amarali2012

• Aanica

• veledran

• JustNormal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For some reason when I seen my first shadowman within 3 foot of me wide awake I wasn't scared of it at all.

It's a shame they run away fast because next time I'll try to touch it and see if my hand pass through or not.

I say it won't happen because it's kind of rare for me to get that close to one.

hello my friend, glad to see you up date the thread as its a great long running file. I do believe this is going to become a nice reference for those of us studying shadow phenomena.

That is why I did this! I hope so ^_^ Thanks and you are welcome also, I could not have done it with out you though.

For some reason when I seen my first shadowman within 3 foot of me wide awake I wasn't scared of it at all.

It's a shame they run away fast because next time I'll try to touch it and see if my hand pass through or not.

I say it won't happen because it's kind of rare for me to get that close to one.

One of the good things about these entities, (good for investigators, bad for people who fear them) is the fact that they stop hiding and running from you once you acknowledge them. As soon as they know you DO believe in them, and that they ARE in fact there, they act as if YOU are not there! Maybe it is they who want us to leave? There are theories about them being in a parallel universe, or a "shadow-verse", and that there are just holes in the veil that separates us. Maybe WE look like shadows to THEM, and that is why they run. Well now Aanica, there is an interesting theory: maybe we look exactly the same way to them! Maybe the "sentinels" are actually doing paranormal study on US! Maybe the houses that are haunted in our world are inhabited by spooks in there world too!

I would not advise trying to make direct contact with them. It really will not accomplish anything unless it feels like having some fun with you. Another poster, Veledran, has one of them speaking in an EVP, but it did not tell him anything useful. In fact, all it would say was more of a riddle than an answer, if my memory is correct.

That is why I did this! I hope so ^_^ Thanks and you are welcome also, I could not have done it with out you though.
I thank you ^_^ Amarali..but this is a credit you deserve, I keep you linked at both the other sites also, I like we keep this a long term study!

='Amarali2012' date='Mar 28 2009, 06:17 AM' post='2812058']

One of the good things about these entities, (good for investigators, bad for people who fear them) is the fact that they stop hiding and running from you once you acknowledge them. As soon as they know you DO believe in them, and that they ARE in fact there, they act as if YOU are not there!

Amarali, you are so right, I really did not think about it like this but I have seen them for so many years (since I was a kid I grew seeing them as long as I can remember) I got used to them being there, they know it...they do not run away but stand there and seem to go about what they do. What ever their purpose is ...I would just watch them for a while and when I got tired I would just go on to sleep.

They never left while they knew I could see them.

Maybe it is they who want us to leave? There are theories about them being in a parallel universe, or a "shadow-verse", and that there are just holes in the veil that separates us. Maybe WE look like shadows to THEM, and that is why they run. Well now Aanica, there is an interesting theory: maybe we look exactly the same way to them! Maybe the "sentinels" are actually doing paranormal study on US! Maybe the houses that are haunted in our world are inhabited by spooks in there world too!

Well I open to all theories Amarali.. ^_^ ..I dont know, I guess none of do..but why not entertain this one too. Their are several theories..I am inclined to think they are dark natured and have entertained a theory lately proposed by Kennneth Deel ( A Catholic Demonologists Handbook) They are indeed spirits in purgatory, and their level of darkness coincides with the amount sin and time to stay in the plane of purgatory. This is why we see certain shades of darkness from blacker then black to the gray shades of the fleeting shadow people. Amarali what do you think of this? I will go further in to it when you get a chance to respond.

I would not advise trying to make direct contact with them. It really will not accomplish anything unless it feels like having some fun with you. Another poster, Veledran, has one of them speaking in an EVP, but it did not tell him anything useful. In fact, all it would say was more of a riddle than an answer, if my memory is correct.

Good advice, contact with "them' or any on this plane is asking for a problem of immense proportions. I am not believing they will or can be heard on EVP..of course I may be wrong about this...but that's why we are here to discuss and gather all we can about the phenomena of SP.

Edited by Aanica

='Amarali2012' date='Mar 28 2009, 06:17 AM' post='2812058']

Well I open to all theories Amarali.. ^_^ ..I dont know, I guess none of do..but why not entertain this one too. Their are several theories..I am inclined to think they are dark natured and have entertained a theory lately proposed by Kennneth Deel ( A Catholic Demonologists Handbook) They are indeed spirits in purgatory, and their level of darkness coincides with the amount sin and time to stay in the plane of purgatory. This is why we see certain shades of darkness from blacker then black to the gray shades of the fleeting shadow people. Amarali what do you think of this? I will go further in to it when you get a chance to respond.

Yes, I was thinking about this on my walk shortly after posting those replies. If they are, in fact, some kind of ghost, then it would make sense. They are reliving their final days over and over again, or being held in limbo. Either as a torture or punishment, or the other theory of "unfinished business". Some people believe that if an innocent dies a very violent death, the soul is unable to cope and will "relive" their death again and again until they know "why". It is also a common belief that the terrain/layout of the physical world when a person dies will look the same to the ghost as when it was alive. Thus the reason they walk through walls, That wall WAS a doorway when they were living. *Drum roll for bad pun* These ghosts are living a shadow of their former lives! Co-existing right beside us as if nothing has changed, except that we can see one another. The movie "The Others" is a great example here. But, shadow men cannot walk through walls.

I am not sure if I agree or disagree with your theory on why they darken in color. Yes, it does sound like a very good reason if my newest theory holds any truth. But, there are so many occasions of the darker ones seeming to have an agenda, and following "us". Here is a theory to support yours: Maybe, as they near their "release" from purgatory, or when/if they have achieved other rewards or completed other tasks leading up to, they gain the ability to leave their assigned place of torture. And then, it is up to them to find someone, like an Empath, to help them leave. I am not sure how they could/would help, but this could also make sense. Or, if the darker ones were more sinful, maybe they just will not repent, and have fun trying to scare us in their free time. This would also explain the lack or walking through walls ability. As part of their punishment, they must abide the rules of the physical world, as if they were in it. And THAT would explain why the one I saw in Gettysburg ran from a car! As I had said, he looked like he was afraid of getting hit!

As to the EVP's, what Veledran reported them saying is, "We are the brother of death", when asked who they are. If they are ghosts of a very different variety than the "norm", then this is true! Or maybe BOTH of our most popular beliefs are the real truth. Maybe they ARE sentinels/watchers, and are watching us AND the ghosts, sort of like a jailer or a warden. We have all unanimously agreed, DO NOT speak to them! ("Please do not pet the animal companion, he is working") Or worse, maybe if you speak to them, they think your in ghost prison, and try to throw you in solitary because talking is not allowed! LOL JK

After this new information I think I should revise and re-post the OP again! Whew! Well here goes! I'll have it up in a few hours! Thanks again to EVERYONE!

Good advice, contact with "them' or any on this plane is asking for a problem of immense proportions. I am not believing they will or can be heard on EVP..of course I may be wrong about this...but that's why we are here to discuss and gather all we can about the phenomena of SP.

Another new theory *"THWOK" to the head* while reading back through the replies. It will also further support Aanica's own. "With great power comes great responsibility", "Absolute power corrupts absolutely". Do you all remember reading the stories of some of our "gifted" members changing their place of residence only to discover that their shadow had followed them (no pun intended)? And often, that particular shadow is very dark in color. Perhaps, they are hoping that the person will "turn to the Dark Side". Maybe the shadow is attempting to steal the powers for itself, or corrupt the person it is following, and/or through them use their gift to the Shadow's advantage. Or, they were sent to watch over you, lest you DO actually commit an evil act with your gift. A "gift" is a present, a blessing, meant to be used to help others, and better the world around you.

Secondly, if they ARE ghosts, it explains why they frequent "haunted houses"!

I am pretty certain we have all thought up these same theories on our own at some point before.

I am now asking everyone, Please, post any theory that might pop into your head, no matter how silly or unlikely it seems! A few months ago, when I first wrote the OP, I was pretty certain that Shadow Men were not ghosts, even though many of you did believe this. Now that I myself have seen evidence to possibly support this theory, I am open to it myself. I never would have thought of it had Aanica not responded in the way she did! Aanica has stuck by her theories since the beginning, and because of that, I was finally able to draw my own conclusions to support hers. Having the information right here in plain view makes things a lot more clear, so do not be shy, even if you are new here. This thread was, in fact, my first topic. :yes:

Theories you say? Alright let me start.

I have only seen the shadow at the back of my eye once, turned my head fast and there was nothing, it might have been an illusion as mentioned or it might be not, we won't know that for sure, and science has a good experience for this one phenomen. Let me only add that when I "saw him" I also felt a presence of a person next to me, it wasnt negative or positive, just a presence but it was a bit creepy feeling :)

Now, lets go back to the theories.

I doubt if they are souls of dead people, that would make no sense at all, why? Because we would be literally swarmed by them by now! Also, they might be more like us, humans in a way some are curious and just observe us, some may be bad and try to such our energy, other might simply do bad just for a fun of it.

About them being visible by "talented"? It is possible that they observe us yes. Once I heard was from a priest if I remember correctly, that lack of knowledge of what's outside is one of the best protection from there. Once you visit spirit realm, they as well might notice you. Other idea is that people talented in all that parastuff are much more sensitive to the world and notice what other "normal" people do not.

About their colour: I have read once that our brain filters a lot of information that goes to us, if it can't find a pattern for something it ignores it. Other truth is that we can see a limited amount of colours. If they are of spiritual nature their "colour" might be of spectrum not really recognizable to us but when they block the light from other objects brain notices them as plain black.

What they are? This strikes me most in this discussion, even thread started mentioned he knows someone who were seeing then so often that he(or was it a girl? not sure now) that he got annoyed with them, and went to "have a talk" after which he became apathic and lifeless, why won't you simply call that person and ask him for what he knows it would provide us with valuable information? Furthermore you state they do not harm people, how can you state that if you know they made 3 people loose their will to live?

Last thing I would love to see is photos, thread started mentioned (it was thread starter i believe) that he was doing photos with his friends at some wierd bridge of some sort, any chance we could see them? Theres always a chance that we might notice something you did not :)

Protection: I am just a casual who likes to read about that stuff, tried luicidic dreaming and ob with no real success, but I am a believing person, and I can say one, if you believe in God, pray, concentrate on all of the positive thoughts you can and remember He loves you and will protect you if you ask for that, he is not your boss, he is your Father or even Dad, and he is good and loving.

That's it, I apologize for long and barely understandable sentences but my grammar is faar from perfect

Cheers!

Edit.

I just noticed this:

2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

Okay, we have shadowpeople spying on our board, hide! \o/

Edited by kubmari

Theories you say? Alright let me start.

What they are? This strikes me most in this discussion, even thread started mentioned he knows someone who were seeing then so often that he(or was it a girl? not sure now) that he got annoyed with them, and went to "have a talk" after which he became apathic and lifeless, why won't you simply call that person and ask him for what he knows it would provide us with valuable information? Furthermore you state they do not harm people, how can you state that if you know they made 3 people loose their will to live?

Last thing I would love to see is photos, thread started mentioned (it was thread starter i believe) that he was doing photos with his friends at some wierd bridge of some sort, any chance we could see them? Theres always a chance that we might notice something you did not :)

Edit.

I just noticed this:

2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

Okay, we have shadowpeople spying on our board, hide! \o/

Hmmm good point. :tu:

To clarify, what I meant was that they do not cause physical harm, but then again I did also state later that emotional harm is worse, and that it can cause physical harm. Thank you for pointing this out to me. The other point I was making was their reluctance to involve themselves with anyone who isn't bothering them first. The ONLY time I have ever heard of anyone being harmed in ANY way by a shadow man is when they tried to interact with it, not the other way around.

(I know how this is going to sound but I'm OK with it) The photo was taken with a camera that was owned by a tag-along. While he was part of the regular group, he wasn't a member of the re-search team. I do not have a way to contact him now, and he was never able to get the picture posted. Furthermore, there was absolutely NO evidence of an entity in the picture. He was the only groupie who owned a camera that would take night photos, and he was not willing to go out there at night like that again. We were never really too serious about real investigation at the time, just armatures having fun getting scared. But point made. :unsure2: I will leave out any accounts of picture taking that do not have the photos to go with them, in the future. :yes:

Thank you for your reply!

Just one more thing that bothers me, didn't you mention that you were attending there few times? And that at the time of that shadowman and a bird you took a "better camera" which could mean that in your earlier visits you had worst one? Anything interesting in photos made with the other equipment? This thread is long and I might have mixed things up sorry if I did!

Cheers :)

.....the phenomena of SP.

[/i][/color]

(no disrespect meant Aanica) SP is already used for "Sleep Paralysis". We need more terms! Hmmm we can not use Shadow Men either, SM is taken too.... :devil: Open floor: ideas for an abbreviated term for the Shadow People?

Shadow Creature- SC

Shadow Entity- SE

Shadow Human- SH

Shadow Ghost- SG

Hey thought I'll add one more thing to the discussion that just popped out in my mind!

Long ago I have read about a women who was able to see auras (it was trained ability she was not born with it). It was written in the article that once she decided to take a look "At aura" of her hand (or was it a feet? not sure now) while being in a dark, what she saw terrified her, because she seen a crawling blackness that moved from her hand, and disappeared shortly after. No idea if it has anything to do with shawdies but I thought I'll add it :)

Now good night everyone and enjoy your 1hour shorter dream!

Just one more thing that bothers me, didn't you mention that you were attending there few times? And that at the time of that shadowman and a bird you took a "better camera" which could mean that in your earlier visits you had worst one? Anything interesting in photos made with the other equipment? This thread is long and I might have mixed things up sorry if I did!

Cheers :)

We had been there all day during daylight hours with a disposable and a cheap digital. We decided to attempt some night shots with a better camera.

The bird, as far as we know, was a regular bird, with no connection to the Shadow. The presence of the Shadow may have distorted our vision. The reason it says the bird "became a shadow", as it is, in quotes, is because I am not sure how to describe what I saw. The bird was simply steeped in shadow in such a quick and unnatural way, I assumed that it must have something to do with the Hooded Shadow Man. To be perfectly honest, it did seem, to me, that the bird never came out from under the bridge. It simply landed, and the Shadow was actually the shadowy bird we saw coming back out from under the bridge. That it was mimicking a bird just to get closer. But I have no proof to support this, and why would it need to be disguised when it was practically invisible?

Hey thought I'll add one more thing to the discussion that just popped out in my mind!

Long ago I have read about a women who was able to see auras (it was trained ability she was not born with it). It was written in the article that once she decided to take a look "At aura" of her hand (or was it a feet? not sure now) while being in a dark, what she saw terrified her, because she seen a crawling blackness that moved from her hand, and disappeared shortly after. No idea if it has anything to do with shawdies but I thought I'll add it :)

Now good night everyone and enjoy your 1hour shorter dream!

I am not sure how anyone could learn to see auras (not that I don't believe it is possible), but maybe she had some darkness, or doubt, in her heart and it was affecting her color?

(no disrespect meant Aanica) SP is already used for "Sleep Paralysis". We need more terms! Hmmm we can not use Shadow Men either, SM is taken too.... :devil: Open floor: ideas for an abbreviated term for the Shadow People?

Shadow Creature- SC

Shadow Entity- SE

Shadow Human- SH

Shadow Ghost- SG

:D I like Shadow Peeps,,but use SP for me because I don't really buy into sleep paralysis as a cause, I do believe the sleep P. is caused by entities there is no doubt in my mind of this one, it has only happened maybe 2 X I remember of and I was aware of something holding me down (no not a old hag.. :rolleyes: ) I know I have had times when I wanted to scream but nothing came out..I associate this with being held down by what ever entity was there....But as far as terms..hehe to each their own, I am going with Shadow Peeps.. :D

:D I like Shadow Peeps,,but use SP for me because I don't really buy into sleep paralysis as a cause, I do believe the sleep P. is caused by entities there is no doubt in my mind of this one, it has only happened maybe 2 X I remember of and I was aware of something holding me down (no not a old hag.. :rolleyes: ) I know I have had times when I wanted to scream but nothing came out..I associate this with being held down by what ever entity was there....But as far as terms..hehe to each their own, I am going with Shadow Peeps.. :D

Word, SIP. (shadow investigator peep) LOL

Okay, I just want to let all of you know, the fully, completely revised OP is almost done. Because It HAS been COMPLETELY re-written, I am going to post it as a new topic. I will post a link to it here when it is up. I have gathered up all our finding from this thread from over the last few months, and organized them in a K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) format that will be MUCH easier to follow and understand. Once again, thank you all very much! This has been so much fun, and I hope we can keep this going! :D

Revision March 29, 2009

I have added new theories, with new information and personal accounts.

I have re-written the entire OP and changed the arrangement of the information in an attempt to make this even easier to understand. I hope you all will enjoy reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it! This thread has been a lot of fun, and I hope we can keep it going with new information, and I hope that it will enable us to finally decipher the cryptic ways of these captivating entities.

I would like to note that this is a complete revision of the OP, and the same rules apply. I am not attempting to pass any of my claims as fact, I am not a professional or an expert and anyone who chooses to follow any of the advise offered in this thread does so of their own free will. I ask that everyone please be polite and respectful, and also that you not be afraid to share any thoughts, theories, and ideas that you may have. Everyone is welcome to post here as long as it PERTAINS TO THE TOPIC, please! As long as these rules are honored, I welcome ANY reply. I won’t judge you. I also welcome all of you to point out any mistakes I may make in this post.

What are Shadow Men? Why are they here, and what do they want? If you are reading this post, then you probably know of the entity I am referring to. There are reports of them all over the world, and the numbers of such accounts are growing all the time. Are there more of them now than there were before? Should we be afraid? The truth is, we just do not have the answers to those questions. Fortunately, many dedicated members of the UM forums have helped me compile a list of personal accounts and other data in an attempt to crack the Shadow Man code. For a lot of us, this is our favorite paranormal topic. There are even a few experienced, world renowned, professionals, like Rosemary Ellen Guilley, who specialize in the field and study of Shadow Men. http://www.visionaryliving.com/

I have to admit that my initial attempt at writing this thread was done is haste. It was sloppily thrown together, and I did not expect it to get much traffic. There was a lot of confusion, and it was very hard to follow. I would like to thank a UM member who posted his “Investigator Q & A” for Shadow Men in the previous post. It was created for his own study of Shadows. It was not only well organized, but also very easy to understand and follow. I will explain all of the topics individually. The topics that we all agree on, without argument, will be discussed first as “fact”. The secondary topic will be information that has not been accepted as fact but is widely reported. Lastly, I will explain the theories that have been compiled over the last six months by the members who helped me to create this wonderful thread. Personal accounts will be listed with the sub-topic they support.

Shadow People (Men or Women)

Appearance:

- Range in height from 4-8 feet tall

- Are seen in various levels of transparency

- Range in level of darkness

- Are seen as solid black forms and are not completely transparent

- Sometimes their forms are incomplete, such as only having a torso and head near the top and becoming more blob-like toward the bottom

- Can be male or female

Almost everyone describes them as "men", but they can also seem feminine. They are usually very long or tall, with almost no features or any real shape. Some of them seem to be shorter "blobs", while others are shaped just as the name states, like people. There have also been reports of smaller, impish, or animal like types, and there have even been reports of red glowing eyes, hats and hoods. I will explain these other types a little later. They can potentially be harmful to you.

The varying levels transparency are also a good way tell what you are seeing. Shadow people are NOT completely see-through. They can be opaque like a lampshade or frosted glass. If the entity in question is transparent or seems to invisible, it is not a shadow person. Think of a shadow cast by a tree. You cannot see through the shadow like a glass window, which does not change your perception of what you are viewing. You are seeing the object behind it filtered with shade, which distorts the image by blocking light, and since you are seeing the shadow it is not invisible. Shadow people are, after all, shadows.

Behavior:

- Very quick and usually will hide when noticed

- Instead of hiding, they will sometimes disappear or fade out

- Some are seen straight on, they are called “free standers”

- Sometimes one is seen running away out in the open just as you enter a room, I call them "sprinters"

- Some can be tricks from the corner of the eyes

- Seem to be curious and will observe people

- Seem to ‘investigate’ those with paranormal gifts or investigating the paranormal

- Seem to ‘investigate’ those with traumatic pasts

- Do not seem interested in interacting with people, and usually will not, even when provoked

- Do not seem threatening or malicious

- Never really do anything other than simple observation

Locations (Places they are usually found):

- They have been witnessed at most location types

- Seen by themselves or in groups

- Usually seen at night or in dark areas, but are seen during the day as well

- Appear indoors and out

- Usually hiding or lurking in shadowy and/or dark areas, but are also seen in open well-lit areas although this is very rare

- Seem to be more common in areas where paranormal study happens frequently

- Seem to be common in areas of heavy supernatural activity

- Seem to be more common in the presence of people who study the supernatural or paranormal and people who have ties to the supernatural world or possess “gifts”

The different types reported have been seen as a single entity alone, or in groups, large and small. Lingering just out of your line of site, or fleeing when you see them, usually seen at night or in the dark, and almost always hiding in other shadows. But they do come out and show themselves to some people. They do sometimes "free stand" as I call it. A free stander will come out in the open, light or dark, day or night, shadow or not. You will know because it will have a "full form", or a seemingly solid body. And it will also be standing where there is absolutely no possibility of another source casting a shadow. Sighting like there are VERY rare. "Sprinters", are just like free standers only they are running away, and in most accounts are wearing hats. This may not be a shadow person (I have never seen one of these) but if it is, the hat may play a part in the ability to "detach" from the shadows. It is also a known fact that shadow men almost always hide in other "real" shadows. "Real" shadows are cast from a source (person or object) against the ground, wall, or another object according to the position of the source of light. It is believed that they actually NEED the shadows, either because they lack the ability to exist without them, or because they directly spawn from them. I'll explain this in more detail when I discuss the theories. Because of their affiliation with shadows, sometimes people will experience an eye trick, and assume that they have seen something, or they will think just the opposite. This may be a part of the stealth. They may rely on us to be rational to help them hide. Sometimes instead of hiding, they will just phase into a nearby shadow, giving the illusion of fading away, or disappearing completely.

Shadow people will usually hang around people and places that have strong ties to the paranormal. They are also a regular part of interacting with the world of the supernatural. They seem to also observe a strict code of discretion. They usually will not be caught out in the open, or let just anyone see them. In most cases, they will attempt to remain hidden and out of sight at all cost. A lot of us, however, have noticed an exception to this rule. Once you accept them and acknowledge their presence, they don't hide from you as much. They sort of play peek-a-boo for a while to see if you really do know they are there. Once they know that you know they ARE there, they stop hiding from you altogether. But they will however, continue to hide from anyone else who does not know about them or believe in them.

(Personal Account) Devil's Den Battlefield, Gettysburg, PA. The Den is covered in woodsy areas, and likewise, blanketed in fallen leaves most of the time. This site is also no stranger to the Shadow men. They are as common as tree squirrels, and, oddly enough, behave as such. They act like you are not even there and just go about their business. They do, however, still maintain their rules on being seen. While they stay hidden from the tourists and the skeptical investigators, those of us who know of them are treated like part of the scenery. Not only do I hear them crunching through the leaves, I actually watch them do it!

On another note, to further the information on who sees them, I will tell you about one of our new rookies. This was her first time to the Den after dark, and we were briefing her on the rules. She kept thinking she was seeing something, but did not say anything because she just assumed it was her excitement tricking her eyes. Later, after we had fully explained Shadows to her, she finally told us about what she had seen earlier. There is a monument on Big Round Top with a tower in it. We were resting at the bottom after a long climb when she started to get restless and jumpy. She said they were making her nervous. Sure enough, there were two of them very close by watching her. As we sat and conversed, you could see with obvious intent, that they were moving ever closer to us little by little. When they had assumed their chosen distance, they were about four feet away, flanking us. Our rookie was almost to the point of running down the bluff! We had to explain a hard truth about the paranormal world to her. "You see them, they see you." This is especially true of Shadow men. Once they know you have accepted their existence, they do not hide from you anymore, and will in fact study you in plain sight. But we told her to just relax because they will never hurt you.

There are many theories that suggest they are either attached or assigned to certain people and places. Further study has given rise to a belief that they specifically watch and observe members of the paranormal and supernatural community, and even more so, people who seem to have supernatural gifts. Many have reported a Shadow or two keeping a constant watch, and that their shadows even followed when they had moved to a new home. There are paranormal sites all over the world where large groups of Shadow Men are reported to keep watch. They stand around certain spots through out the site like "Sentinels", which is what this type is called. These types will usually gather in large groups and spread out in even patterns, and usually in or near woods. Reports from people who live bordering the woods say that the Shadows will gather right at the edge within sight, but never really come out, or come any closer.

Shadow Men generally do not seem the least bit interested in actually interacting with us humans. They normally do nothing more than watch. You will see them get bored or lose interest at times, and simply leave or wander off. They do also seem to have personalities. They appear to get excited by playing "hide and seek", and if one is happy you will know. It will get very brave and come pretty close, or try to get your attention with very bold displays of movement. What they will not do is interact with you because you want it to. Although people have tried, and almost always fail, I do not recommend it. They never attack or harm people, but those who have tried to speak with them usually end up with something worse after wards. More of them show up and ultimately one of the malicious types will arrive soon after. They are only here to observe, from what we know, so you are best to just leave it alone.

Effects on the Physical Realm:

- Animals seem to notice them

- Footsteps are reported at times

- Have been seen in reflections on televisions and mirrors

- Been reported during normal activities, investigations, and Ouija use.

- EVP mentions, “They are the brothers of death.”

Animals DO react to their presence, so it is believed that they can see them too. They also make noises such as footsteps, and have a reflection, so they do in some ways at least, have a physical presence. The reported sightings take place at all times of the day, so they do hang around and can affect your day-to-day life.

It is not a popular belief that they can or will talk. A member of UM posted his personal account on the previous thread. It in, he told of his study of Shadow Men. He asked them what/who they are, and it replied, "We are the brothers of death". This was captured in an EVP. If this was a Shadow Man actually speaking, then we know that they can affect us in this way also.

Additional Theories:

- May work for or be controlled by other Shadow entities such as the Hat Man

- May be in control of lesser Shadow entities such as Shadow Animals

Shadow Animals/Imps/Creatures

- 3ft. tall and shorter

- Seen in groups

- Most commonly seen as Imp-like creatures, cats, birds, and bats.

- Sometimes take on a less solid, blob-like appearance

- Usually associated with the coming appearance of higher level entities

- Might be a sort of servant/lookout/scout/companion for higher-level entities

- Possibly are hybrids of two other types of Shadow

As the name implies, these are obviously not shadow people or shadow men. Most accounts of these guys describe them as cat-like, birds or bats and other flying creatures, small imp-like /demonic humanoid shapes, or other indescribable shapes and/or blob-like masses, and they are always under three feet in height. In short, their description varies just as much as their "human" counterparts. I have next to no information this type of entity. They are almost always associated with the coming of a larger more powerful presence. Many of us believe that they will gather near a place when a more powerful entity is about to manifest. Maybe they are its minions, or messengers, and are checking out the area before their master arrives. They could be bottom feeders looking to siphon some energy from a larger source that will likely not notice. The site will usually have a bad or foreboding feel to it, and a sort of empty, hopeless feeling They are always in groups or they are randomly spaced around the immediate area but still fairly close to each other. The only exception here are the cat-like types, which will streak out in front of you without warning much like a real cat would. Another popular theory is shadow pets. No one really knows.

Hat Man, Hooded Shadow, and The Old Woman

- Seem to be malevolent

- Always associated with negative feelings

- All accounts report unhappiness and/or a sense of being drained

- Always appear when we are vulnerable/weak

- Always associated with fear and suffering

- Positive thoughts, meditation, prayer, and high self-esteem seem to keep them away, and drive them out

- Thought to perhaps be different entity type than the shadow people

- Many reports of seeing several Shadow People before a Hat Man or Hooded Shadow appears

- May be in charge/command of lesser entities such as Shadow Men and Shadow Animals

- Possibly are hybrids of two other types of Shadow

I, personally, do not believe either of these three are "true" Shadow Men. I have strongly noticed only ONE recurring fact about these three. EVERY mention of them relates to feelings of fear, paranoia, and vulnerability. Other accounts point to the victim feeling threatened, and/or just having experienced a personal trauma or other sadness. These three types are the only ones who have been repeatedly reported to wear clothing of any kind, and they actively interfere with our lives and cause harm! They may not be causing physical harm, but the psychological, emotional, and mental harm can be MUCH worse and ultimately lead to physical harm. I believe these three entities are some type of evil/demonic entity or other spirit. I believe that they feed off of our fear, pain, and suffering. DO NOT make yourself an easy target if these creatures are attacking you! Keep a positive mind; keep your personal living space as happy and inviting as possible. Tell them in the name of whatever/whoever you hold sacred that they are NOT WELCOME, and GET OUT! Mediation and prayer are also helpful. Do whatever you can to empower yourself, and above all else, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! Believe they cannot and will not hurt you.

The Old Man (in the hat) or Hat Man:

- Sometimes reported with glowing green eyes

- Always reported at or near your bed

- Always associated with bad dreams

- Almost always first seen at the foot of your bed when halfway between asleep and awake

- Associated with causing fear and draining energy

- Is believed to cause fear or bad dreams to steal energy

- Possible ‘boogeyman’ type entity

- Also associated with "The Sandman"

- Believed to be similar to Moth Man

The Old Man in the Hat, or "The Hat Man" is by far the most commonly reported Shadow Man there is. More people have seen him than any other shadow entity. I have never seen him. (Knock on wood) Almost every account is the same. He is always leering over you while you are asleep, when you are most vulnerable. He is first seen standing at the foot of your bed, while you are still half asleep. Most people say they immediately feel threatened, and as if they are being drained or weakened. Most also note they have had, or will have nightmares when he is around. I think he may be stealing energy as we sleep, and feeding our fear to create more fear energy because that is what he actually feeds on. One user posted a picture called the "sandman" to give a good reference. He may, in fact, be "the sandman" for all we know. For this particular entity, keeping a cozy, happy, and comforting sleeping area seems to work best, over all. In addition, I also suggest, if possible, have some source of light nearby when you sleep, natural light like a candle seems to work best. Calming soothing music to play gently in the background is also good, but not so loud that it will keep you awake, remember this entity wants you to be tired and vulnerable.

Hooded Shadow Men (Hoodies):

- Most reported with red glowing eyes

- Possible ‘boogeyman’ type entity

- Believed to psychic vampires

- Associated with sadness, depression, and a sensation of being drained.

- Almost always appears when victim has had recent trauma

- The hood and cape may actually be long hair and a dress; some of them may just be Shadow Women

- Most people are unable to see these entities

The "Hoodies" always seem to be following, or hanging around an individual who is an unhappy person, an endless supply of sad and dark emotions, which is believed to be their energy source. These entities are usually described as a shadowy, flowing, robe-like mass with a hood, and almost always has red glowing eyes. In other cases, they have almost NO shape or form. They seem to be a shadowy mass or "nothingness" that seems to swallow up the light around it. Hoodies usually attach themselves to people who have both a very bad life, AND a connection to the supernatural or paranormal world. They usually show up right after a great personal trauma such as a death or a huge financial catastrophe. Once they arrive, they set about destroying the victim's emotional state by causing fear, paranoia, depression, and making them feel worthless. Hoodies are extremely difficult to get rid of, and prevention should be your primary weapon. Prayer, meditation, faith in yourself, your god, and whatever you hold dear. DO NOT buy into its crap! You ARE worth it! Your life DOES matter!

The Old Woman:

- Is always reported while victim is in a state of SP (sleep paralysis)

- Is associated with SP

- Is associated with bad dreams and feelings of fear

- Is associated with sensations of being held down, unable to move, and being drained

- Believed by some to be the Bride of the Man in the Hat

Situations with The Old Woman are almost identical to that of the Hat Man. The differences, however, are quite specific: the victim will wake up in a state of SP, unable to move. The Old Woman is usually holding you down and creating quite a bit of fear, which is why most victims think they are "just dreaming". The way to avoid and/or rid yourself of her is basically the same as Hat Man as well, but with one addition: SP is caused by STRESS. Removing stress from your life will make it harder for you to fall into SP. For those who do not know about SP, it is a state in which your body is so tired that it literally cannot go any farther without rest. But, in contrast, your mind is in a state of overdrive, and so deep in thought, that your body will shut down and go to sleep while you are still wide awake and lost in thought. Your mind is active, but your body is dormant. You are wide-awake mentally but asleep physically. Even though you are coherent and conscious, you cannot move. It can be very scary, especially if you are part of the way asleep mentally and get interrupted by a nightmare like the Old Woman. Try always to go to bed in a good mood, and to have all your work for the day done. That way, you are free to drift off to sleep without any worries to tempt the Old Woman.

Theories and Personal Accounts with Possible Support Data

- Possibly are Nephilim (i.e. hybrids)

- May be some sort of naturally occurring Supernatural beast, and unable to be seen properly with out "human" eyes

- Electromagnetic fields causing hallucinations

- Shadow People are the spirits of evil people after they have died

- Shadow People are how people see human spirits when they lack the ‘ability’ to see its true form

- Shadow People are created by negative energy from people, rituals, and/or from tragic events

This supports the more popular theories surrounding the Hooded Shadows.

- The darker they are, the older and more powerful they are

The darker they are the older they are, and naturally the darker ones are more powerful. The free standers are usually very dark and they do not need real shadows as much or often as lesser shadows. Most of you have stated that the shadows that are "running away", or standing in the open, "free standing", are much darker than other shadow men. These types are "even darker than the other shadows around them". Most shadows seem to be the same shade as the shadow that they are hiding in and that they "run down the wall" when they escape. Many of you have also stated that these darker ones also seem more foreboding, to have more of a presence, and seem stronger. As a shadow man ages, he becomes stronger. His shade will become darker. I believe that the younger, less experienced shadow men are incapable of leaving the shadows completely. Maybe they are unable to hide if they do. They may lack the knowledge of how to leave or hide if they leave. They may need to be cast against something, or maybe they draw life/energy from shadows. Maybe they spawned right in the very spot they are needed. If this is the case, maybe they are able to move about freely if the people they are watching leave or move away. This may be the reason for accounts of a single VERY black shadow man fleeing the scene when the lights come on. They were looking for the person (people) they are supposed to watch. As they are better suited to moving around freely, I speculate that they become more "real" or have more of a physical presence. Which would explain why they seem to become a "solid black mass" when hit directly with a strong light source.

(Personal account) In February of 2008 I had my first encounter with a "full bodied" shadow man, "free standing" out in the open completely independent of any other shadow. I was in FL visiting a friend. It was around ten PM and I was out for a walk. I was on my way back to the house, and was passing the neighbors yard. This neighbor has big front yard with no trees or bushes. A very deep ditch cuts through the middle of the bottom half of the yard nearest the street. In order to reach the mailbox, they installed a simple wooden bridge made of two-by-four planks. There is no rail or handholds. That night, it was partly cloudy and the moon was in a waxing gibbous phase. For those who do not study the moon, that means it was nearly full, but noticeably not. There, standing in the center of the bridge, was a shadow man. He was about six feet tall, and while he had no real shape other than his head, he seemed to have the form of a man. I was no more than ten feet away. He was just standing there and watching me. I think he wanted me to see him, because he just kind of appeared there. My friend called out to me from the front door and I turned around for a split second to tell them I would be right in. When I turned back around, the Shadow Man was gone.

As a shadow man gains more of a presence, he can act/re-act more like a human would. "Free standing" shadow men do not "cast" a shadow of their own. But they, themselves really are a "solid black mass", then maybe they can block your view of whatever is behind them, like a physical item or being can.

(Personal account) I spotted one while at a friend’s house and was watching it. It decide to change positions and something happened. You know how when light shines into a dark room, or outside at night from a window, and nearby object will reflect the glow? Well when he moved, it was just like the kitchen light had just been switched on then! The shadow man actually blocked the light! I relocated him further down the wall and when the kitchen light did go out, the glow on the charcoal grill also disappeared. I am not exactly sure how long I was watching the shadow man, but I know my boyfriend and I were waiting in his car for over half an hour for our friend to come home. He [the friend] lives with his grandparents and they have a big back yard with a long walk to the door. The neighbors have an L-shaped back porch steeped in shadow. There was only one shadow man and he was hiding in a shadow from collapsed table umbrella lying against the house. I think I was watching him for about ten minutes when he moved in front of the grill lid. I lost interest because I am so used to them. But, about ten minutes later when the reflected glow suddenly appeared on the grill again I looked up to see him slinking away down the wall toward the street. My friend's grandma tries to leave the light on for him, but when he is late she turns it off. She did not know we were outside, and he was over an hour late.

- They can be affected by things in the physical and are bound by the laws of the physical realm

They may actually have a physical form and thus may actually be able to be harmed by physical objects. They may also not have the ability to become intangible, or pass through solid objects. There are no accounts that I know of where one did pass through an object.

(Personal Account) My most exciting Shadow encounter ever happened at Devil's Den Battlefield in Gettysburg, PA. There were only two of us that night, and we were only there for a casual stroll. Our lantern had also gotten left in another car, so we did not have our usual emergency light. For this reason, we decided to stay out of the woods on Big Round Top, and explore the paved path that runs through the woods on the other side of the site. This road is lined with all sorts of monuments and memorials; some of which, are rather creepy even in the daylight. There are also two very old stone bridges that have been fortified with asphalt to make them safe for cars. The particular path we were on is usually not used by the nighttime investigators because it is the back road out of the Dens and does not take you to the main highway. We did not expect the late tourists in the SUV to use this road then. I am also pretty sure they were not expecting two people in long black coats to be walking on the narrow one way in the dark either. We were on the end of the bridge and the driver had to slow down suddenly and slightly swerved because of the fright we gave him. He was also speeding on a road he barely knew, that was full of blind turns and lined with big oak trees. He must have been extremely embarrassed, or just angry, because he didn't even stop to apologize. But what we saw next made it all worth it! On the bridge, as they were crossing over, we saw a Shadow man. It looked like it was afraid. It was running away from the SUV as fast as it could! It was slightly hunched so as to optimize it speed, and it literally ducked down and jumped from the embankment! It HAD to have been a free stander because there was no mistaking the black on white image caught in the SUV's headlights! Judging from its reactions, it could have been running for it life! I do not know if they can be harmed or killed, but it certainly seemed to be afraid of getting hit by the car. The tourists, of course, saw nothing.

- They are in their own parallel universe and there are "holes" in between where we overlap

- They are a form of ghost in purgatory

Maybe it is they who want us to leave? Maybe there are just holes in the veil that separates our two worlds. Maybe WE look like shadows to THEM, and that is why they run. We may look exactly the same way to them, and the "sentinels" might actually doing paranormal study on US. Maybe the houses that they haunt in our world are actually haunted by us in their world!

If they were, in fact, some kind of ghost, then it would make sense. They are reliving their final days over and over again, or being held in limbo, either as a torture or punishment, or the other theory of "unfinished business". Some people believe that if an innocent dies a very violent death, the soul is unable to cope and will "relive" their death again and again until they know "why". It is also a common belief that the terrain/layout of the physical world when a person dies will look the same to the ghost as when it was alive. Thus the reason they walk through walls, that wall WAS a doorway when they were living. *Drum roll for bad pun* these ghosts are living a shadow of their former lives! Co-existing right beside us as if nothing has changed, except that we can see one another. The movie "The Others" is a great example here. But, shadow men cannot walk through walls.

- Shadow People are ‘assigned’ to watch certain people

- They may spy on, or observe people with gifts to see if they use it for good or evil

- They may be more attracted to people with gifts because they want the gift for themselves or to use it through the human by corrupting him/her

There has long been a belief that Shadow Men are specifically assigned to watch people who posses supernatural gifts. The reason for this is likely because of the fact that these people have more encounters with them than anyone else. But that may only happen because these individuals are sensitive enough to be able to see them at all.

There are accounts of gifted individuals changing their place of residence only to discover that their shadow had followed them (no pun intended). And often, that particular shadow is very dark in color. "With great power comes great responsibility", "Absolute power corrupts absolutely". If these creatures are in fact evil, perhaps, they are hoping that the person will "turn to the Dark Side". Maybe the shadow is attempting to steal the powers for itself, or corrupt the person it is following, and/or through them use their gift to the Shadow's advantage. Or, they were sent to watch over you, lest you DO actually commit an evil act with your gift. A "gift" is a present. It is a blessing meant to be used to help others, and to better the world around you.

I hope that this newest revision will make things even easier. I welcome your opinions and am open to suggestions. Let me know what you think!

Edited by Amarali2012

WOW. :D ..your the best, Thank you for all this hard work I am linking my other sites to this now!

YAY! *blushing* Really I could NOT have done this without you and everyone else who posted a reply!

Another theory I've heard is that they may be the form of living people who are currently outside of their physical body (such as OBE or astral projecting). However, this would not explain mass groups of them in places such as cemeteries.

Also of note, we asked what shadow people were. We are unclear what gave us the cryptic answer.

I already mentioned this to the OP, but I've done some research on Somerset Cemetery where we had a massive sighting of them.

There are two things I came across of interest:

1. The cemetery was first established in the 1850's and is still in use. The shadow people have always been sighted/came from the older sections.

2. Two brothers were falsely accursed of the murder of a sheriff in 1891. They were lynched from two sycamore trees just outside of the cemetery.

I found out recently that a friend's family has been caretakers of the cemetery (and others in the area) for generations. I will attempt to find out if they have seen anything of interest or know of anything of use.

The EVP was with the Southern Ghost Research Group in Pulaski County, KY. It's been a few years and the original founder died last year and I know there was a split within the group. I've tried finding out more about what has heppened with the two groups, but I haven't had much luck.

Great post! As stated in your text," they are the brothers of the death" That's what they utimately are to me, and I speak from experience.

Edited by juste detracté

Great post! As stated in your text," they are the brothers of the death" That's what they utimately are to me, and I speak from experience.

Will you please explain what you mean by that? I welcome any story about the Shadow Men.