Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK--14,000 Knife Victims Per Year

Incorrigible1

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime...ear-860857.html

"Knife violence in Britain is far worse than official statistics suggest, with almost 14,000 people taken to hospital for injuries caused by knives and other sharp weapons last year.

According to the latest Department of Health statistics, an average of 38 victims of knife wounds are admitted to accident and emergency departments across the country every day.

An analysis of hospital admissions data for England and Wales by the IoS revealed that assaults and injuries from knives and sharp implements, together with sword and dagger injuries, resulted in 12,340 people being admitted last year – 446 of whom were no older than 14. This is an increase of 19 per cent on the 10,372 admissions five years ago. The latest figures from Northern Ireland and Scotland bring the total number of victims in Britain to 13,795 each year.

Dr Tunji Lasoye, A&E consultant at King's College Hospital, London said: "In a nutshell the numbers of stab victims coming into A&E have gone up. It used to be that we would see isolated cases at weekends, but now it is nearly every day of the week. And the age of the victims has gone down. We used to see people in their early 20s; now they are in their mid-teens. And 10 per cent of the victims we see now are girls, which wasn't the case four or five years ago."

The latest statistics from hospitals in England alone highlight an 88 per cent jump in the number of children suffering stab wounds – from 95 in 2002-03 to 179 in 2006-07. And among 16- to 18-year-olds, there has been a 75 per cent rise from 429 to 752."

As a Second Amendment activist, the UK's mild gun violence statistics are often quoted to counter my viewpoint. Hmm, perhaps the UK isn't the violence-free utopia American anti-Bill of Rights activists portray it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Atheist God

• stevewinn

• Incorrigible1

• Fluffybunny

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not to bad... considering how many people live in the UK.

That's not to bad... considering how many people live in the UK.

Some 61 million, I believe.

Some 61 million, I believe.

So at 61 million people and 14k stabbings a year, your chances of getting shanked on average is pretty low even still.

It works out to like a 1 in 4358 chance of being shanked and probably a significantly lower chance of dying from that stabbing. I am sure it varies depending on where you live in the UK etc.

I know it sounds horrible, but in the grand scheme of things, that aint to bad...I mean it is of course horrible for the people that are stabbed no doubt(I deal with them regularly in the back of an ambulance), but for as large a country you have and as lax as your criminal justice system can be, letting the same people out again and again...(you know it isnt 14000 unique people doing the stabbings, it is gangs that do it a lot), the numbers arent as bad as one would think.

Unless you want to try and outlaw grandmas steak knife, or screwdrivers, or a sharp stick, there isnt much you can do about it but go after the people that do it and keep them in jail for a good long time.

Personally, with my limited experience in London was that the police get no respect and are too lax with troublemakers, and letting them talk back to the police officer. Too much "boys will be boys" kind of thinking. I loved the country, but was stunned to see the police there get treated like crap and take it. That would never fly here...I like it that way.

I know it sounds horrible, but in the grand scheme of things, that aint to bad...I mean it is of course horrible for the people that are stabbed no doubt(I deal with them regularly in the back of an ambulance), but for as large a country you have and as lax as your criminal justice system can be, letting the same people out again and again...(you know it isnt 14000 unique people doing the stabbings, it is gangs that do it a lot), the numbers arent as bad as one would think.

Unless you want to try and outlaw grandmas steak knife, or screwdrivers, or a sharp stick, there isnt much you can do about it but go after the people that do it and keep them in jail for a good long time.

Personally, with my limited experience in London was that the police get no respect and are too lax with troublemakers, and letting them talk back to the police officer. Too much "boys will be boys" kind of thinking. I loved the country, but was stunned to see the police there get treated like crap and take it. That would never fly here...I like it that way.

Police don't get respect in any civilized nation including here.... Many of us from the anti-drug war movement however have been trying to change by recruiting police officers to support us through groups like LEAP.

People need to understand that police are simply doing their jobs and that whatever their quarrel may be it is with law makers... In most cases anyway, if you commit a violent crime then the police become an enemy and one you don't want.

If you talked trash to a cop here they would bust you up and taze you then say you were resisting arrest... Their word against yours and yours means **** in the eyes of a judge.

the figures are worse, much worse, people or gang members are getting stabbed but don't go to hospital because they don't want the police involved, what about the victims where a knife has been pulled on them but not stabbed, are they included in this statistic?

a great TV ad,

the figures are worse, much worse, people or gang members are getting stabbed but don't go to hospital because they don't want the police involved, what about the victims where a knife has been pulled on them but not stabbed, are they included in this statistic?

Why would you include people who have only been threatened in a statistic about people who actually got stabbed?

I agree that some do not go to the hospital... Lot's of people who say they wouldn't still go to the hospital especially if they were stabbed somewhere painful or vital... like the gut, trust me the gut is the worst possible place to be shanked in regards to pain because of the abdominal wall being penetrated.

I've actually been shanked a few times in my neighborhood fighting natives who didn't like us white boys living in their hood...

Why would you include people who have only been threatened in a statistic about people who actually got stabbed?

I agree that some do not go to the hospital... Lot's of people who say they wouldn't still go to the hospital especially if they were stabbed somewhere painful or vital... like the gut, trust me the gut is the worst possible place to be shanked in regards to pain because of the abdominal wall being penetrated.

I've actually been shanked a few times in my neighborhood fighting natives who didn't like us white boys living in their hood...

all am saying is 14.000 is way to low, when your talking about knife crime numbers, your talking telephone numbers.