Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2+2=4 equates a certainty of god

Sherapy

There is only one truth, and that truth is God himself...

"To quote a psalm; "The fool in his heart says there is no God... To acknowledge him is the beginning of wisdom..."

That will probably infuriate a few people, so let the flaming begin....

I do not object to your quoting Scripture.

Therefore, don't object if I quote Voltaire . . . "God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

I didn't argue that science can't study supernatural events, I stated it. No argument about it at all.

In that same vein of thinking then you can not state supernatural events as factual. facts have proof and again personal feelings and belief and opinion on such things are not proof.

no arguement about that.

I do not object to your quoting Scripture.

Therefore, don't object if I quote Voltaire . . . "God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

Then Voltaire didn't know God, because He does in fact enjoy our laughter...

There is only one truth, and that truth is God himself...

"To quote a psalm; "The fool in his heart says there is no God... To acknowledge him is the beginning of wisdom..."

That will probably infuriate a few people, so let the flaming begin....

ah but who's idea of God ?

Albert Einstein:

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his [sic] creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious ourselves.

Albert Einstein:

Scientists were rated as great heretics by the church, but they were truly religious men because of their faith in the orderliness of the universe.

Anais Nin:

When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow.

Clarence Darrow:

I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means.

Scopes trial, Dayton, Tennessee, July 13, 1925

James Feibleman:

A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson:

The religion that is afraid of science dishonors God and commits suicide.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

you didn't understand that quote did you ? lmao

Or perhaps Voltaire knew him too well . . .

God does not laugh in the Bible . . . . only Psalms and Job claim that he does but those are the words of others and not God.

Voltaire died a horrible death.

So?

So did Jesus and all the disciples . . . . if we believe church tradition.

ah but who's idea of God ?

Albert Einstein:

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his [sic] creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious ourselves.

Albert Einstein:

Scientists were rated as great heretics by the church, but they were truly religious men because of their faith in the orderliness of the universe.

Anais Nin:

When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow.

Clarence Darrow:

I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means.

Scopes trial, Dayton, Tennessee, July 13, 1925

James Feibleman:

A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson:

The religion that is afraid of science dishonors God and commits suicide.

And all of these very bright men and woman, failed to understand and know God... their perceptions clouded by their disbelief caused them to speak of things which they simply could not bring themselves to accept. Their very judgements are based on their perceptions and experiences of humanity not of God himself...

you didn't understand that quote did you ? lmao

Oh I understood it very well, he was required reading at school in philosophy.

But did you know that Voltaire was a gnostic and a freemason and as such he was merely paroting in this quote what is held as true by gnostics of all times?

That God is evil...

See the concept of the "Demiurge"...

The Gnostic Religion:

"The universe, the domain of the Archons, is like a vast prison whose innermost dungeon is the earth, the scene of man's life. Around and above it the cosmic spheres are ranged like concentric enclosing shells. Most frequently there are the seven spheres of the planets surrounded by the eighth, that of the fixed stars. There was, however, a tendency to multiply the structures and make the scheme more and more extensive: Basilides counted no fewer than 365 "heavens." The religious significance of this cosmic architecture lies in the idea that everything which intervenes between here and the beyond serves to separate man from God, not merely by spatial distance but through active demonic force. Thus the vastness and multiplicity of the cosmic system express the degree to which man is removed from God.

The spheres are the seats of the Archons, especially of the "Seven," that is, of the planetary gods borrowed from the Babylonian pantheon. It is significant that these are now often called by Old Testament names for God (Iao, Sabaoth, Adonai, Elohim, El Shaddai), which from being synonyms for the one and supreme God are by this transposition turned into proper names of inferior demonic beings—an example of the pejorative revaluation to which Gnosticism subjected ancient traditions in general and Jewish tradition in particular. The Archons collectively rule over the world, and each individually in his sphere is a warder of the cosmic prison. Their tyrannical world-rule is called heimarmene, universal Fate, a concept taken over from astrology but now tinged with the gnostic anti-cosmic spirit. In its physical aspect this rule is the law of nature; in its psychical aspect, which includes for instance the institution and enforcement of the Mosaic Law, it aims at the enslavement of man. As guardian of his sphere, each Archon bars the passage to the souls that seek to ascend after death, in order to prevent their escape from the world and their return to God. The Archons are also the creators of the world, except where this role is reserved for their leader, who then has the name of demiurge (the world-artificer in Plato's Timaeus) and is often painted with the distorted features of the Old Testament God."

The Gnostic hatred of the God of Israel extends to the very beginning of the book of Genesis. Gnostic texts explain that Ialdabaoth and the Archons created Adam and placed him in the Garden of Eden with an intent to deceive him. After learning of this situation the feminine aspect of the "God of Light," known as Sophia-Prunikos, acted to disrupt the schemes of the demiurge by sending an emissary of the Light to bring knowledge to Adam, allowing him to break free from his bondage. This divine emissary, according to the Gnostics, was none other than the Serpent of the Garden of Eden, and subsequent Gnostic sects reflected this veneration of the serpent by referring to themselves as Ophites (from the Greek word for serpent, ophis), and as Naassenes (from the Hebrew word for serpent, nachash). Jonas explains what Adam and Eve's "sin" actually meant to the Gnostics,

"It is the first success of the transcendent principle against the principle of the world, which is vitally interested in preventing knowledge in man as the inner-worldly hostage of Light: the serpent's action marks the beginning of all gnosis on earth which thus by its very origin is stamped as opposed to the world and its God, and indeed as a form of rebellion."

The Gnostics took the idea that the Serpent was the true savior of mankind right up to the life of Jesus of Nazareth, as the following text shows,

"This general Serpent is also the wise Word of Eve. This is the mystery of Eden: this is the river that flows out of Eden. This is also the mark that was set on Cain, whose sacrifice the god of this world did not accept whereas he accepted the bloody sacrifice of Abel: for the lord of this world delights in blood. This Serpent is he who appeared in the latter days in human form at the time of Herod..."

According to the New Testament, the sacrifice of Jesus did represent the triumph of the Kingdom of God over the "lord of this world," but this "lord" is clearly identified as Satan in several passages (Matthew 4:8-10, Luke 4:6-13, John 12:31, John 14:30, 2 Corinthians 4:4, etc). The Gnostics turned this belief around and argued that the "lord of this world" was actually the Creator-God of Israel, and that the life and teachings of Jesus represented a manifestation of the Serpent against this "God of Darkness."

And all of these very bright men and woman, failed to understand and know God... their perceptions clouded by their disbelief caused them to speak of things which they simply could not bring themselves to accept. Their very judgements are based on their perceptions and experiences of humanity not of God himself...

No all those very bright Men studied the concept hard enough to not believe in your Idea of God, They actually know Father and mother (God )Intimiatly.

They made contributions to this world Without telling anyone they would be going to hell fore not believing in their belief.

Your very judgements are based on Your perceptions and experiences of humanity not of God himself...

Had to do it.

Love Omnaka

you have proven your ignorance. most of them actually believe in God .

and what you call your perceptions and experiences of God may not be. it may just be all you internally . no God.

In that same vein of thinking then you can not state supernatural events as factual. facts have proof and again personal feelings and belief and opinion on such things are not proof.

I can most certainly state supernatural events can be factual, as long as I don't claim they are scientific fact, which I have not done.

no you didn't get it and still don't. ..............

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

really read that. He's poking fun of the audience.

the audience is afraid to laugh. God is funny. loves a good joke too. isn't offended. it's the audience that is afraid to laugh at God.

The best God joke ever - and it's mine!

Emo Philips

Thursday September 29, 2005

The Guardian

This morning I received thrilling news: a joke I wrote more than 20 years ago has been voted the funniest religious joke of all time! In case you've missed it, here it is:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1580529,00.html

another that kills me =

I was raised half-Jewish and half-Catholic. When I'd go to confession, I'd say, "Bless me, father, for I have sinned -- and you know my attorney, Mr. Cohen." (Bill Maher)

A Jewish grandmother is watching her grandchild playing on the beach when a huge wave comes and takes him out to sea. She pleads, "Please God, save my only grandson! I beg of you, bring him back!" And a big wave comes and washes the boy back onto the beach, good as new. She looks up to heaven and says, "He had a hat!"

lmao

Edited by Lt_Ripley

the audience is afraid to laugh. God is funny. loves a good joke too. isn't offended. it's the audience that is afraid to laugh at God.

linked-image

I like it . Fuuny! :lol:

So true, If you truly find humor in something , Know that God is laughing right along side. May have even tickled your funny Bone.

Love Omnaka

No all those very bright Men studied the concept hard enough to not believe in your Idea of God, They actually know Father and mother (God )Intimiatly.

They made contributions to this world Without telling anyone they would be going to hell fore not believing in their belief.

Your very judgements are based on Your perceptions and experiences of humanity not of God himself...

Had to do it.

Love Omnaka

Well when you go back to your spiritual journey and you meet them there ask them about me... :lol:

My walk with God is truly my own and only I can answer for it, but the perception I have of God is confirmed over and over by his word, (which you ignore) and by him as well.

you have proven your ignorance. most of them actually believe in God .

and what you call your perceptions and experiences of God may not be. it may just be all you internally . no God.

Their perception of God is reflected in their quotes... I think that says it all...

The best God joke ever - and it's mine!

Emo Philips

Thursday September 29, 2005

The Guardian

This morning I received thrilling news: a joke I wrote more than 20 years ago has been voted the funniest religious joke of all time! In case you've missed it, here it is:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1580529,00.html

another that kills me =

I was raised half-Jewish and half-Catholic. When I'd go to confession, I'd say, "Bless me, father, for I have sinned -- and you know my attorney, Mr. Cohen." (Bill Maher)

A Jewish grandmother is watching her grandchild playing on the beach when a huge wave comes and takes him out to sea. She pleads, "Please God, save my only grandson! I beg of you, bring him back!" And a big wave comes and washes the boy back onto the beach, good as new. She looks up to heaven and says, "He had a hat!"

lmao

Thanks Rip, I really enjoyed those... :lol:

I did get the quote. But maybe it is you that needs to do a background check on Voltaires life to see how he actually came up with it.

Edited by Jor-el

Thanks Rip, I really enkoyed those... :lol:

I did get the quote. But maybe it is you that needs to do a background check on Voltaires life to see how he actually came up with it.

what his life was like and what he believed still doesn't detract from the quote that God is funny and you can laugh at God yet most are too afraid and find it sacriligious.

like so - now this is funny ! but many will be fearful. I bet 'Jesus' is laughing at this one.

linked-image

Edited by Lt_Ripley

Thanks Rip, I really enkoyed those... :lol:

And what was wrong with Voltaire's life? A man with no fear of authority, exiled occasionally, famous and admired by many, courted by dignitaries, receiving a heroes welcome on his return to France . . . .

And what was this horrible death someone referred to?

what his life was like and what he believed still doesn't detract from the quote that God is funny and you can laugh at God yet most are too afraid and find it sacriligious.

like so - now this is funny ! but many will be fearful. I bet 'Jesus' is laughing at this one.

linked-image

Was that an M For the YMCA?

I wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't checked the link... :blush:

Was that an M For the YMCA?

I wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't checked the link... :blush:

I take it you are too young to appreciate fully the music of the 1970's. lol

I take it you are too young to appreciate fully the music of the 1970's. lol

No, I actually liked the Village people.. but the letters were difficult to read I thought I was looking at T.O.O.C.I...

Yes, I did and there is nothing in that which suggests an argument. If you read it, that is a statement.

Sheri, that is a statement, I did not posit that science can't verify spiritual truths, I made a statement about the KNOWN, PLANNED, and UNDERSTOOD limitations of science.

Son,

indeed in sceince we come to know things by what we can observe and what we can test and this has obvious advantages, its open to public inspection and can be replicated by other people its not secret its not a chance event its not a one time thing and results are obtained by design not by accident .. because we set out to follow a particular procedure it gets the results or it fails too and then we know how, what, and why this happens....

IMO this is why modern society has placed a lot of emphasis on science and has given it a priority as a means of knowing through verification....

this method is applied in alot of disciplines to great success..of course its not the only path to knowledge this is where argumntation comes in it is a way to know about things that are uncertain with the same benefits and protections we come to know things via verification...using the rigour of the scientific methodology.......it is never to truth with a capital T and there is room for correction.........it makes no claims of inerrancy ...........

we look for mutual agreement on procedure following norms of candor and sincerity, using effective judgment, not just compliance or obediance because we want our position to be vaild but only through a free, open and wiiling, unconstrained, unimposed agreement..with the other partys participation its a way to exchange our views knowing they may be challenged therefore when we formulate our views in the first place argumentatiion hopefully creates an incentive for us to search for the highest qualtiy of claims to begin with.........

Son,

indeed in sceince we come to know things by what we can observe and what we can test and this has obvious advantages, its open to public inspection and can be replicated by other people its not secret its not a chance event its not a one time thing and results are obtained by design not by accident .. because we set out to follow a particular procedure it gets the results or it fails too and then we know how, what, and why this happens....

IMO this is why modern society has placed a lot of emphasis on science and has given it a priority as a means of knowing through verification....

this method is applied in alot of disciplines to great success..of course its not the only path to knowledge this is where argumntation comes in it is a way to know about things that are uncertain with the same benefits and protections we come to know things via verification...using the rigour of the scientific methodology.......it is never to truth with a capital T and there is room for correction.........it makes no claims of inerrancy ...........

we look for mutual agreement on procedure following norms of candor and sincerity, using effective judgment, not just compliance or obediance because we want our position to be vaild but only through a free, open and wiiling, unconstrained, unimposed agreement..with the other partys participation its a way to exchange our views knowing they may be challenged therefore when we formulate our views in the first place argumentatiion hopefully creates an incentive for us to search for the highest qualtiy of claims to begin with.........

And your reason for this explanation of the scientific process was...?

I know the scientific process and am a huge fan of it. I am also intelligent enough to grasp the fact that science is not--nor was ever intended to be--the be-all end-all definer of reality. Science, in order to be useful to us must have limitations. Unfortunately, those necessary limitations prevent it from being usable when dealing with spiritual truths. The fact that science is unable to deal with spiritual events does not validate nor invalidate the reality of these events, it just means that we have to either use or develop other tools to deal with/validate them. Unfortunately, to date mankind has not found the tool equivalent to science that can be used in the field of the supernatural.