Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lycans are not Werewolves

Legendcop13

I have noticed a lot of people comparing Lycans to werewolves. That is no comparison. They are two completely different creatures.

Lycans are more wolf based. They can shift appearance when they want, night or day. They represent more of a large walking wolf with a mans posture, and of

course much more muscular than werewolves. The Lycan is a Transylvanian based creature. The evidence is strongly supported, but it is nothing similar to a

werewolf at all. The Lycan is also much smarter than a typical werewolf.

Werewolves are actually of old English folklore. They started up in the Americas after the Spanish settled here. The werewolf transforms randomly on full

moons only. They represent more of witchcraft and curse, unlike the Lycan; which is said to be Religious practice. Werewolves resemble a man with a wolf-man like

posture and a wolfs' attitude and appearance.

Lycans are also different in the way to kill them. To kill a Lycan, you must sever the spine from the body. It is ineffective to Silver substances.

Werewolves must be killed with a Silver object to the head or heart. This will only rid the curse of shape shifting, and bring the victim back to consciousness.

Edited by Legendcop13
  • Like 2

Before the movie 'Underworld', I'd never heard the term 'Lycan' used in connection with werewolves.

Thanks for painting me a clearer picture.

I have noticed a lot of people comparing Lycans to werewolves. That is no comparison. They are two completely different creatures.

Lycans are more wolf based. They can shift appearance when they want, night or day. They represent more of a large walking wolf with a mans posture, and of

course much more muscular than werewolves. The Lycan is a Transylvanian based creature. The evidence is strongly supported, but it is nothing similar to a

Werewolves are actually of old English folklore. They started up in the Americas after the Spanish settled here. The werewolf transforms randomly on full

moons only. They represent more of witchcraft and curse, unlike the Lycan; which is said to be Religious practice. Werewolves resemble a man with a wolf-man like

Lycans are also different in the way to kill them. To kill a Lycan, you must sever the spine from the body. It is ineffective to Silver substances.

Werewolves must be killed with a Silver object to the head or heart. This will only rid the curse of shape shifting, and bring the victim back to consciousness.

"Werewolf" is Germanic (Were=Man, Wolf=Wolf): ManWolf

"Lycan" from "Lycanthrope" is Latin (Lycan=Wolf, Anthrope=Man): WolfMan

"Werewolf" is Germanic (Were=Man, Wolf=Wolf): ManWolf

"Lycan" from "Lycanthrope" is Latin (Lycan=Wolf, Anthrope=Man): WolfMan

Lycan is a much older term just like sang is also in the latin based root and not the common phrase vampire is to werewolf.

Latin goes much further back dated, but it is important to look how society made such 'encounters' and 'rules' for it

i have noticed alot of people comparing lycans to werewolves. there is only One comparison, both are fictional.

so it doesnt really matter that much when it comes to differences. unless youre speaking totally folklore.

lycanthropy is a mental illness where someone believes they are a certain animal. and the term 'lycan' was really only used in the Underworld movie (i think). so i reeeeeally hope youre not basing this whole thread off the movie. this better not be your 'evidence'

• Like 2

I really like beef steaks grilled medium-rare upon an outdoor grill, eh?

Oh, you don't really believe anything stated in this thread, really, do you?

Before the movie 'Underworld', I'd never heard the term 'Lycan' used in connection with werewolves.

Thanks for painting me a clearer picture.

same here. even googling lycans just brought up underworld.

I can't find a link that explains more of the lycan practices. can anyone provide any good informative links?

try googling "Lycanthrope". Hollywood just shortened the word to Lycan, in fact there is no such thing as "Lycan" as far as a label is concerned. While I find werewolves and lycanthopes interesting, I wouldn't put much stock in them being real.

I really like beef steaks grilled medium-rare upon an outdoor grill, eh?

Oh, you don't really believe anything stated in this thread, really, do you?

hahaha I like mine raw/rare hehaha yummy!

Awww cryptothreadgoers, ya'll were doing so good on no more of these threads. Oh well, I guess we all have a hard on for the were's :P

Seriously though, aside from Bigfoot, Werewolves and then I think Vampires (in that order to) are the most obsessed over cryptos on any paranormal thread I've ever been at. Nothing wrong with it, just all the arguments have been done sadly.

And were's are real. I'm sure not a fake therian :yes::P

try googling "Lycanthrope". Hollywood just shortened the word to Lycan, in fact there is no such thing as "Lycan" as far as a label is concerned. While I find werewolves and lycanthopes interesting, I wouldn't put much stock in them being real.

:yes: Kind of annoying how this happened, Lycanthropy is a recognised medical condition which has been bastardised to cover the whole werewolf thing.

Wiki has a good explaination for clinical lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

from the article...

Clinical lycanthropy is defined as a rare psychiatric syndrome which involves a delusion that the affected person can or has transformed into an animal, or that he or she is an animal. Its name is connected to the mythical condition of lycanthropy, a supernatural affliction in which people are said to physically shapeshift into wolves. The word zoanthropy is also sometimes used for the delusion that one has turned into an animal in general and not specifically a wolf.

Affected individuals report a delusional belief that they have transformed, or are in the process of transforming into another animal. It has been linked with the altered states of mind that accompany psychosis (the reality-bending mental state that typically involves delusions and hallucinations) with the transformation only seeming to happen in the mind and behavior of the affected person.

It also seems that lycanthropy is not specific to an experience of human-to-wolf transformation; a wide variety of creatures have been reported as part of the shape-shifting experience. A review[4] of the medical literature from early 2004 lists over thirty published cases of lycanthropy, only the minority of which have wolf or dog themes. Canines are certainly not uncommon, although the experience of being transformed into hyenas, cats, horses, birds and tigers has been reported on more than one occasion. Transformation into frogs, and even bees, has been reported in some instances. A 1989 case study described how one individual reported a serial transformation, experiencing a change from human, to dog, to horse, and then finally cat, before returning to the reality of human existence after treatment. There are also reports of people who experienced transformation into an animal only listed as 'unspecified'.

One important factor may be differences or changes in parts of the brain known to be involved in representing body shape (e.g. see proprioception, body image). A neuroimaging study of two people diagnosed with clinical lycanthropy showed that these areas display unusual activation, suggesting that when people report their bodies are changing shape, they may be genuinely perceiving those feelings. Body image distortions are not unknown in mental and neurological illness, so this may help explain at least part of the process. One further puzzle is why an affected person doesn't simply report that their body "feels like it is changing in odd ways", rather than presenting with a delusional belief that they are changing into a specific animal.

You know, when ever Hollywood makes up a new creature, or something along those lines, the "loner" or non-conforming groups (sorry if this is over-generalizing or not proper) will pick it up. Now there are very legitimate groups and individuals that would classify as a "werewolf." Unfortunately most, and probably the entire visible minority of "werewolfs" are not real. Now when a movie like, let's say, UNDERWORLD comes along there are certain personalities that will grab this cool new name or creature (werewolf/vampire hybrid for example) and cling to it. Since the release of UNDERWORLD groups and communities of "Lycans" and "Werewolf/ Vampire Hybrids" have sprung up. Just around town I've heard of people who like to call themselves Lycans. Before the movie I only knew the word Lycan as the stem or partial stem to several words. So the point of this rant is to say that there are legitimate "werewolfs" (I HATE using that name) but the majority (at least 99 percentish) are just kids who live in movies and take it too seriously. And from what research I've done I found that this perimeters in which lycans and werewolfs are different (as stated by the OP) have no roots any earlier than the release of that movie. Then some of the stuff that was around before that movie comes out were applied to werewolfs. So with what anyone can say and claim on the internet nothing should be trusted.

Edited by paranormalguy
  • Like 1

:clap:

You know, when ever Hollywood makes up a new creature, or something along those lines, the "loner" or non-conforming groups (sorry if this is over-generalizing or not proper) will pick it up. Now there are very legitimate groups and individuals that would classify as a "werewolf." Unfortunately most, and probably the entire visible minority of "werewolfs" are not real. Now when a movie like, let's say, UNDERWORLD comes along there are certain personalities that will grab this cool new name or creature (werewolf/vampire hybrid for example) and cling to it. Since the release of UNDERWORLD groups and communities of "Lycans" and "Werewolf/ Vampire Hybrids" have sprung up. Just around town I've heard of people who like to call themselves Lycans. Before the movie I only knew the word Lycan as the stem or partial stem to several words. So the point of this rant is to say that there are legitimate "werewolfs" (I HATE using that name) but the majority (at least 99 percentish) are just kids who live in movies and take it too seriously. And from what research I've done I found that this perimeters in which lycans and werewolfs are different (as stated by the OP) have no roots any earlier than the release of that movie. Then some of the stuff that was around before that movie comes out were applied to werewolfs. So with what anyone can say and claim on the internet nothing should be trusted.

:clap: Good post! "Werewolves" are an ancient legend and the movie stuff skews people's perspectives and overshadows the other "evidence" and cultural tales. (Note: I'm not actually saying I believe in werewolves etc. But the stories of them are embedded in many cultures and it's an interesting subject)

Therianthropy is about as close as it comes to the myth of werewolves or "lycans" being real, so the differences between the two are irrelevant, IMO. But if it makes you happy, explain away. It's a spiritual belief, Therianthrophy, that's all, nothing more.

Edited by ~Onyx~

The words lycan and lycanthropy have been in use much longer than the movie Underworld. Lycanthrophy also comes from the Greek and not Latin. Lycaon the first king of Arcadia in mythology was also the first person to be turned into a wolf according to legend. There are also many tales of shapeshifters in Native American legends though they can turn into other animals and not just wolves. I believe most of it is fiction..most of it.

Edited by Clovis

The words lycan and lycanthropy have been in use much longer than the movie Underworld. Lycanthrophy also comes from the Greek and not Latin. Lycaon the first king of Arcadia in mythology was also the first person to be turned into a wolf according to legend. There are also many tales of shapeshifters in Native American legends though they can turn into other animals and not just wolves. I believe most of it is fiction..most of it.

yes. and they probably suffered from lycanthropy too. Assuming they were these animals at the time.

Response to Clovis.- I believe you've misunderstood what I was saying. I said that Lycan as a term for werewolf or a werewolf like creature wasn't used before the release of underworld. I'm not some daft slob on a computer making things up. I've done my share of research and am rather informed on this subject, thanks. The term lycanthropy is a medical term that been around for ages. I simply stated that the stem of said word wasn't used as the name of a creature before the release of that movie. Though it goes centuries back, it had a completely different meaning.

Edited by paranormalguy

:yes: Kind of annoying how this happened, Lycanthropy is a recognised medical condition which has been bastardised to cover the whole werewolf thing.

Wiki has a good explaination for clinical lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

from the article...

Clinical lycanthropy is defined as a rare psychiatric syndrome which involves a delusion that the affected person can or has transformed into an animal, or that he or she is an animal. Its name is connected to the mythical condition of lycanthropy, a supernatural affliction in which people are said to physically shapeshift into wolves. The word zoanthropy is also sometimes used for the delusion that one has turned into an animal in general and not specifically a wolf.<snip>

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone. I suffer from lycanthropy and it is not a fun experience to black out due to rage and wake up not knowing what you've done. I was dosed with medication for about 5 years, but gave it up after discovering (of all things) that marijuana actually helps me maintain a very mellow attitude and controls "the beast" (what I can it) inside. I was rather shocked when Underworld came out and felt they took a real medical condition and made people such as myself monsters (werewolves). No, I do not grow hair all over my body or fangs...that is hollywood remember. We are normal people with animalistic tendencies once something triggers us. My friend told me once that it took him and 4 other guys to hold me down after a night of drinking and I blacked out...I woke up in a field (lived out in the country at the time) with bruises, broken glasses, and pain all over my body. Luckily I did not hurt anyone too bad and they were friends so they were a little freaked out, but not upset (good friends). Since that night I have not had a drink since I think that may have been a trigger since I had not had an attack for about 6 years prior to that incident. Prior to that I do not remember much, but my mother still tells of times I would snap and take on dog like characteristics (actions...not physical) and told me of biting a few kids here and there which is why we would always have to move around when I was younger. She thought I would grow out of it and so didn't seek medical attention until I was I think around 13 or 14. I was on different types of medications, but nothing really seemed to help since I would still have "outbreaks" every once in a while. Now, I smoke and haven't had an attack in the past 9 or 10 years. :)

So yes, it is a real condition and not one that should be taken lightly since people can get hurt, but it is not the fault of the person...it is an extremely serious condition since a person will kill someone and not realize it. I am a good person, but without the medicinal use of an illegal substance I would more than likely be locked up for murder since I know the other medications did not work for me at least. My doctor had never attended to any previous cases and so it was a learning experience for him as well.

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone. I suffer from lycanthropy and it is not a fun experience to black out due to rage and wake up not knowing what you've done. I was dosed with medication for about 5 years, but gave it up after discovering (of all things) that marijuana actually helps me maintain a very mellow attitude and controls "the beast" (what I can it) inside. I was rather shocked when Underworld came out and felt they took a real medical condition and made people such as myself monsters (werewolves). No, I do not grow hair all over my body or fangs...that is hollywood remember. We are normal people with animalistic tendencies once something triggers us. My friend told me once that it took him and 4 other guys to hold me down after a night of drinking and I blacked out...I woke up in a field (lived out in the country at the time) with bruises, broken glasses, and pain all over my body. Luckily I did not hurt anyone too bad and they were friends so they were a little freaked out, but not upset (good friends). Since that night I have not had a drink since I think that may have been a trigger since I had not had an attack for about 6 years prior to that incident. Prior to that I do not remember much, but my mother still tells of times I would snap and take on dog like characteristics (actions...not physical) and told me of biting a few kids here and there which is why we would always have to move around when I was younger. She thought I would grow out of it and so didn't seek medical attention until I was I think around 13 or 14. I was on different types of medications, but nothing really seemed to help since I would still have "outbreaks" every once in a while. Now, I smoke and haven't had an attack in the past 9 or 10 years. :)

So yes, it is a real condition and not one that should be taken lightly since people can get hurt, but it is not the fault of the person...it is an extremely serious condition since a person will kill someone and not realize it. I am a good person, but without the medicinal use of an illegal substance I would more than likely be locked up for murder since I know the other medications did not work for me at least. My doctor had never attended to any previous cases and so it was a learning experience for him as well.

Thank goodness I've never had to live with that, the only time that I had the similar situation as you was when I was on this prescription drug. It was suppose to help me, but obviously did the wrong thing and I was highly sleep deprived (even for myself being an insomniac) and one night I was 'in and out' of reality though I wasn't really hallucinating if that makes since. For example I wasn't seeing stars or blasts of colors it was just that I didn't know what I was doing and basically didn't remember any of it. Till I woke up the next day and my mother when I got down the stairs look horrified and said, "Dear GOD never do that again!" I told her what? What did I do? She didn't believe me until we talked for a few minutes and she realized I didn't remember anything, till later after she explained it I remembered bits and pieces...and saw I punched three holes in my wall. To think that some people have to deal with that constantly, it is frightening isn't it.

Edited by puridalan

but gave it up after discovering (of all things) that marijuana actually helps me maintain a very mellow attitude and controls "the beast" (what I can it) inside.

I swear that is going to wind up being the cure for everything...except cancer.

I swear that is going to wind up being the cure for everything...except cancer.

Actually it won't be, and being a fibro sufferer myself I know that it is cured by actual specific diet...diet, getting out metal fillings, exercise will be the ultimate cure for most and cancer, plus scuba diving is up there as well. Go figure ^^...sorry to burst your bubble

Actually it won't be, and being a fibro sufferer myself I know that it is cured by actual specific diet...diet, getting out metal fillings, exercise will be the ultimate cure for most and cancer, plus scuba diving is up there as well. Go figure ^^...sorry to burst your bubble

Damn! But it could tottally solve war! :P Can't drive a tank when you're to screwed up and watching sponge bob eating doritoes and waxing philosophic on how to end world hunger.

But in all seriousness though (wow, I can be serious o_0), why scuba diving?

Some people call Shape shifters and werewolves the same thing too. But they arn't =P

First person, why 'scuba diving'.

I know right, sounds off on the deep end (no pun intended haha). You see when you hit a certain depth the gravity that holds you down to the earth no longer exists, so the light at that depth is able to penatrate through being able to move the elctrodes/H20 around promoting health and cell repair and all that good stuff. It's been proved with cancer patients that in one dive alone their brain scan after just one dive as dramatically improved. So, maybe in the future you'll see more people scuba diving. My theory (even if some think it long fetched) I felt that us humans were always from the sea, sure why not primates...but even before that I still suggest we orginated completely from the water and I am sticking to it.

Other person MJ only helps some people, other people like me it does absolutely no effects what so ever, even on the astral plane ha ha ha haha

Some people call Shape shifters and werewolves the same thing too. But they arn't =P

youre right. one of them turns into an animal, the other turns into an animal....................wait?

but what they Really have in common, is theyre not real