Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I went to church today.

Grandpa Greenman

I have a friend who has problems communicating because of MS, so I jumped in the car and went to her place. The problem didn't go her way, and she ask me if I would go to Church with her. So I did, and I didn't burst into flames. LOL It was in a nursing home and it was an old time bible belt minister. We sang, prayed, had a healing, a poppet show, and a sermon. In his sermon he told them all they should read their Bibles. My friend is blind so she can't read a bible. She needs one on talking books, does anyone know were I could find one really cheep or free? I might ask the nursing home if they have the number of the minster or his church and see if they could help my friend out.

A friend in need is a friend indeed. :yes:

If a person of another religion needed something that would comfort them such as Christian buying a Muslim a Quran or Muslim giving a Druid a magic wand would you do it?

Edited by Darkwind

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissMelsWell

• Grandpa Greenman

• Schnaffler

• Oderint

Isn't the bible available in brail? (if that's the correct term)

I wouldn't mind giving a muslim the bible, because they worship the same god. It's just that muslims believe the koran to be more accurat (true to the original, not written by men). Talked a bit with a muslim regarding this, and he didn't seem "hostile" towards christianity at all.

But I see I misunderstood you :P

Why would a muslim mind being given the koran/Quran by a christian? it's still the same book. :)

http://www.audiobiblesfortheblind.org/

among others

If a person of another religion needed something that would comfort them such as Christian buying a Muslim a Quran or Muslim giving a Druid a magic wand would you do it?

I just did :) .

She can feel with her hands. My friend is really messed up. MS is an illness of the central nervous system. My friend has limited use of her muscles, she can't walk, can't talk, can't see. Multiple Sclerosis effects everything and some people get it really bad to the point they get locked in their bodies. My friend has primary progessive MS, there is no cure or treatment.

So you wouldn't give a Druid a magic wand because it is not an Abrahamic religion.

She can feel with her hands. My friend is really messed up. MS is an illness of the central nervous system. My friend has limited use of her muscles, she can't walk, can't talk, can't see. Multiple Sclerosis effects everything and some people get it really bad to the point they get locked in their bodies. My friend has primary progessive MS, there is no cure or treatment.

So you wouldn't give a Druid a magic wand because it is not an Abrahamic religion.

Oh sorry I missed the part of her having MS, my bad. Then audio bibles would of course be the best option :)

Well I doubt a real druid would accept a magic wand from me for several reason:

1. a magic wand is very personal, it is supposed to carry energy/powers given to it via rituals etc etc.

2. I don't have the ability to give it any powers

3. a Druid would most likely have a magic wand already (if they used magic wand that is :P )

However the bible or Quran are books, all of them say the same (exept the bibles translated differently of course...), with the same message. I wouldn't hessitate giving a Quran to a muslim or Bible to a christian (if they for some reason didn't already have them), but giving a piece of wood to a druid would be pointless :)

but giving a piece of wood to a druid would be pointless

I have been in rehab without any of my ritual tools. I can get along without them but a piece of wood would have been nice to have. If someone gives you a wand you can put your energy into it. As long as it is given with love there is no negative energy in it. Most people have me crystals, I really liked them, there were a big help.

Totally absolutely... I'm STILL keeping my eye out for a natural material tree for YOU!

I think about it whenever I'm at the nursery, dried flower store, craft store, art galleries. Honest to Pete. I haven't come across anything acceptable yet I don't think. Mostly I keep seeing twigs and metal. Neither of which would work. Here's a funny one... I even asked a botanist at the local high brow art-farty nursery if a bonsai could be freeze dried! Then explaining to him why was ummm... and interesting conversation... the short answer was No. LOL. He had no other ideas for me.

I gave a muslim friend a prayer rug once. I've bought Buddhist prayer wheels. I am not Catholic, but I have gifted many a Catholic with silver and gemstone Rosaries that I made with my own hands.. I tell ya, doing the reasearch on that one was tough... rosaries are confusing. LOL.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Totally absolutely... I'm STILL keeping my eye out for a natural material tree for YOU!

I think about it whenever I'm at the nursery, dried flower store, craft store, art galleries. Honest to Pete. I haven't come across anything acceptable yet I don't think. Mostly I keep seeing twigs and metal. Neither of which would work. Here's a funny one... I even asked a botanist at the local high brow art-farty nursery if a bonsai could be freeze dried! Then explaining to him why was ummm... and interesting conversation... the short answer was No. LOL. He had no other ideas for me.

I gave a muslim friend a prayer rug once. I've bought Buddhist prayer wheels. I am not Catholic, but I have gifted many a Catholic with silver and gemstone Rosaries that I made with my own hands.. I tell ya, doing the reasearch on that one was tough... rosaries are confusing. LOL.

not to sound disrespectful but I bet Buddhist prayer wheels make interesting art pieces/conversation pieces . bet they look cool in your home !

I have a strange fascination with rosaries, actually. I LOVE them. I go to the local antique store regularly and check for new additions. . . :P

How strange is a Pagan with a collection of rosaries? :lol:

Audio bibles are relatively easy to find. . .if you need one cheap, you could always try ebay. I've seen them in the book store, but the prices can get up there. . .

I think the site eight bits posted is probably the best, though.

I've given people of other religions things before. Its a great feeling to help out someone else. . .it doesn't really matter if its an object of a religion you aren't a part of. :D

not to sound disrespectful but I bet Buddhist prayer wheels make interesting art pieces/conversation pieces . bet they look cool in your home !

They are beautiful artwork, but alas I didn't keep them, I gave them to friends who are buddhists. They wanted something specific that I could get in Thailand when I was there. I had to search for quite a while to find them in the markets, but find them I did, and I hope they're being put to good use. :)

The only chachkis I have in my home are some "shekere's" that I made several years ago, but they aren't religious... not really. They're african/caribbean rythm instruments, although I've seen them used in clips of voodoo ceremonies. I used to make them on commision for a local music store when reggae bands needed a natural one. Most that they can buy commercially are synthetic fiberglass and plastic which don't always do the trick. (they're like giant rattle with the rattles on the outside rather than the inside).

I have a problems going to church. I think I have some kind of attention-deficit disorder. Can't sit still for long periods of time without being restless.

Maybe it reminds me too much of a staff meeting at work.

How strange is a Pagan with a collection of rosaries? :lol:

Actually, that doesn't strike me as strange at all. Odd huh? Pagans have a deep and abiding need and love for their physical spiritual tools as do Catholics. I see some similarities there. Not in their beliefs, but in their use of rituals, rites and tools.

What's stranger is that I'm a Quaker (a faith that rejects ALL physical religious tools and icons, even crosses) and I have a fascination with religious tools. I don't use them, but find them engaging for some reason. LOL.

I have been in rehab without any of my ritual tools. I can get along without them but a piece of wood would have been nice to have. If someone gives you a wand you can put your energy into it. As long as it is given with love there is no negative energy in it. Most people have me crystals, I really liked them, there were a big help.

maybe my view of a druid is antiquated (call me old-school :P), but I thought a "magic wand" (isn't there another word for it?) would have to be something very personal to the druid, and not something that can be bought on toys 'r us.

I mean no offence in that btw, so I hope you take none :)

maybe my view of a druid is antiquated (call me old-school :P), but I thought a "magic wand" (isn't there another word for it?) would have to be something very personal to the druid, and not something that can be bought on toys 'r us.

I mean no offence in that btw, so I hope you take none :)

Oh,it is personal...but if someone happens to run across a nice piece of wood that they feel would be useable by a friend (who happens to be a Druid),then it would be acceptable as a gift.Too,if it's a type of wood that is not normally found in the Druid's home area...it would be a good gift,since different woods have different spheres of influence to us. :)

any female druids around? *snip* :P

sorry, couldn't resist

Edited by Paranoid Android
sorry, couldn't resist either

Aww that is sweet of you. :wub: I ended up getting a real tree for my alter. He sits on the porch until I need him for a ritual. He has become my familiar. His name is Bali'. I have a cat, but she is Catholic. ^_^

I have a problems going to church. I think I have some kind of attention-deficit disorder. Can't sit still for long periods of time without being restless.

Maybe it reminds me too much of a staff meeting at work.

You should go to an old time Bible belt service. You can get up and dance in the aisles if you want to.

Oh I'm so glad you found something Darkwind... and nothing is better than a real tree would be my guess. (I could have sent ya like a bizillion Doug Fir seedlings, they're coming up all over my yard! LOL)

I'lll probably keep looking because I'm curious now... you were right about your first post so many months ago though... finding something suitable is very difficult! I know from experience now!

Like I said earlier, while my faith does not use tools or icons, I'm somewhat fascinated by them. I have to be honest and say that while they aren't part of my practice at all, and never will be... I really get why people feel they're needed.

I'm glad you were able to help your friend out too... that was extremely generous and kind of you. But it's what I've always suspected was the case where you are concerned.

Blessings Friend. :)

A christian is one who walks with Christ,the teachings contained within the bible,those principles lead a person to a greater understanding of who God is,(meaning his attributes)and spiritualy quickening them.to reflect such.it is the laying down ones own will that trips most people up due to the idea that they somehow can better manage themselfs than God can. as a christian I can find no suport for the idea of supplying icons fedishes beads cryistals images or items of endearment or used in such practices ect ect to people of other religions,For God wishs to be worshiped in the persons spirit & with truth,and not through items,for such. As a christian I can find no scriptural suport/approval for giving these to another person,& if I did from what information i gather from biblical texts strongly sugests it would be akin to the support of Idol worshiping and partakeing of this in any form or shape is forbiden for me to do,but I am required to help when i am able to do so in feeding sheltering encourageing uplifting being honest peaceable when posible ect ect so no i wouldnt provide religious articles to some one else non christian,

A christian is one who walks with Christ,the teachings contained within the bible,those principles lead a person to a greater understanding of who God is,(meaning his attributes)and spiritualy quickening them.to reflect such.it is the laying down ones own will that trips most people up due to the idea that they somehow can better manage themselfs than God can. as a christian I can find no suport for the idea of supplying icons fedishes beads cryistals images or items of endearment or used in such practices ect ect to people of other religions,For God wishs to be worshiped in the persons spirit & with truth,and not through items,for such. As a christian I can find no scriptural suport/approval for giving these to another person,& if I did from what information i gather from biblical texts strongly sugests it would be akin to the support of Idol worshiping and partakeing of this in any form or shape is forbiden for me to do,but I am required to help when i am able to do so in feeding sheltering encourageing uplifting being honest peaceable when posible ect ect so no i wouldnt provide religious articles to some one else non christian,

the last bit I must corrct myself on a christian doesnt need any of those things nor are none permited so to a fellow christian perhaps a bible but a bible is only a book informing a person about the master plan & the promise therein. in itself a bible is a book,not a religious instrument. its the following instructions that make the difference

If i'm giving someone a gift generally, it would not be something that i would like. It would be something that the recipient would like. I suppose the same would apply in your situation.

Yes.

any female druids around? *snip* :P

sorry, couldn't resist

sorry PA, didn't know that crossed the line :)

I have a friend who has problems communicating because of MS, so I jumped in the car and went to her place. The problem didn't go her way, and she ask me if I would go to Church with her. So I did, and I didn't burst into flames. LOL It was in a nursing home and it was an old time bible belt minister. We sang, prayed, had a healing, a poppet show, and a sermon. In his sermon he told them all they should read their Bibles. My friend is blind so she can't read a bible. She needs one on talking books, does anyone know were I could find one really cheep or free? I might ask the nursing home if they have the number of the minster or his church and see if they could help my friend out.

A friend in need is a friend indeed. :yes:

I got the Bible in audio format in many different languages from this site.

As for helping others with their religious texts? Absolutely!!! I've helped many Christians with Bibles and New Testaments, a few Buddhist some teachings of Buddha, and lot's o' Qur'ans to Muslims. I do a lot of out-reach in Prisons, hospitals, and with the homeless. The old texts can really help people (no offense, but the religious texts are usually good. It's the religions that get wacky)