Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The return to Germany

questionmark

The return to Germany

Over past five years, increasing number of Israelis have been requesting German passports

Daniel Bettini

Published: 07.11.08, 16:41 / Israel News

For many years, German emigrants in Israel cast away the country in which their parents and relatives suffered. Cars, appliances and even trips to their country of origin were out of the question.

However, Israelis’ view of Germany has changed fundamentally in recent years, and the drizzle of Israelis seeking German passports has become a real flood.

Data received from the German Embassy in Israel shows that since 2003 there has been a rise in the number of Israelis requesting a German passport.

A total of close to 30,000 people of German descent turned to the German Embassy and most of them received their requested passport after only two weeks.

While the number of Israelis requesting German citizenship is on the rise, the amount of Israelis submitting their requests at the German Embassy in Israel has declined.

Overall, 11,168 have requested naturalization over the past five years. It should be noted that the German Embassy only denies one or two percent of the requests.

Almost all of the passport appeals are submitted by people with a German background who in most cases lost their German citizenship due to Nazi laws. Such applicants have a much harder time attaining a passport since numerous amounts of documentation proving their right to citizenship must be presented.

After Israeli citizens passes the naturalization process, they are automatically eligible to submit a request for a German passport. In the future, their children and their children’s children will become German citizens as well.

Attorney Dan Assan who assists Israelis in receiving German citizenship said that the number of people requesting German passports is rising due to their belief that it serves as an “insurance policy,” a well-known phenomenon after a crisis such as the Second Lebanon War.

However, Assan said that most applicants want a German passport also because of the benefits given to European Union residents.

Full story, source: Ynetnews

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• stevewinn

• chemical-licker

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When i read the title before entering the thread i thought it was you Q, heading back home to Deutschland.

When i read the title before entering the thread i thought it was you Q, heading back home to Deutschland.

Me, Deutschland? Why?

Me, Deutschland? Why?

yes you, well, with you being German i thought you was going back home, i dunno what for thats why i entered the topic to find out, if that's you in the picture Q, your either Austrian or German, B) its ok your secret is safe with me, i wont tell a soul, :)

yes you, well, with you being German i thought you was going back home, i dunno what for thats why i entered the topic to find out, if that's you in the picture Q, your either Austrian or German, B) its ok your secret is safe with me, i wont tell a soul, :)

If that is my picture....interesting....

does he look German or Austrian too?

linked-image

dont really need a picture Q. your profile posts/topics leads me to believe your country of birth is Austria/Germany,.........its an ability my granddad had in the war, could spot a jerry at a thousands paces, in my case thousand MS's :sk

stand easy,

to add, the topic, with the Jews applying to visit or return to Germany how is that going down in Germany its self, because even though times have changed and wounds have sort of healed, what about that German Village where Nazi sympathisers live, has or will this cause problems?

Edited by stevewinn

dont really need a picture Q. your profile posts/topics leads me to believe your country of birth is Austria/Germany,.........its an ability my granddad had in the war, could spot a jerry at a thousands paces, in my case thousand MS's :sk

stand easy,

Totally wrong...though I had a German grandfather.

Totally wrong...though I had a German grandfather.

:w00t:

so what are your thoughts on Jews heading back to Germany in large numbers?

:w00t:

so what are your thoughts on Jews heading back to Germany in large numbers?

Well, that German I mentioned (my grandfather) was Jewish by religion but the most staunch German you can imagine. As soon as Adolf was gone he went back to Germany (as the only member of my family, until the 80s when I went for professional reasons)... so I guess I understand them.

If that is my picture....interesting....

does he look German or Austrian too?

linked-image

american for sure :yes: