Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Worlds Oldest Blogger Dies

heinrich1858

"(CNN) -- An Australian woman often described as the world's oldest blogger has died at the age of 108 after posting a final message about her ailing health but how she sang "a happy song, as I do every day."

Olive Riley posted more than 70 entries on her blog -- or "blob" as she jokingly called it -- since February 2007

Olive Riley died Saturday at a nursing home in New South Wales.

Riley posted more than 70 entries on her blog -- or "blob" as she jokingly called it -- since February 2007.

On the site, The Life of Riley, and in a series of videos post on YouTube, Riley mused on her day-to-day life. She also recounted living through two world wars and raising three children on her own while working as a cook and a bar maid.

"She had a wonderful memory, and an amazing zest for life," said her friend Eric Shackle, who met Riley at a nursing home while visiting his wife, who has since passed. "Just two weeks ago, she recalled the words of a song that was popular before World War II, and sang the chorus with me."

In a post titled "Washing Day," Riley wrote: "You 21st Century people live a different life than the one I lived as a youngster in the early 1900s. Take washing day, for instance. These days you just toss your dirty clothes into a washing machine, press a few switches, and it's done."

She then described how she helped do laundry as a youngster, starting with finding "a few pieces of wood to fire the copper for Mum."

"When the water in the copper began to boil, Mum would add a cupful of soap chips, and throw in a cube of Reckitt's Blue wrapped in a muslin bag to whiten the clothes," she wrote. "Then she put in all the dirty clothes, first rubbing out the stains with a bar of Sunlight soap. ... that was jolly hard work."

Don't Miss

World's Oldest Blogger

Riley was born in 1899 and would have turned 109 on October 20. She took up blogging at the suggestion of Mike Rubbo, who filmed a documentary on her life four years ago"

LINK

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purplos

• heinrich1858

• Elite

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

:wub: What an amazing woman.

most elderly people simply cant figure out how to use modern technology so im surprised this woman did

good on her though

^ Ya know, most old people can't figure out new technology, but I bet more young people couldn't figure out how to get gleaming white shirts with just a copper kettle. :)

Awwwww. im going to blob till i go to

After that, I might also. This woman is amazing. The fact that she bothered to learn all of this new technology and stuff is so admirable!

All the friends this lady made on line is amazing. We should all be that lucky.. :)

Their are no limits but for those that we allow other to place upon us and we then acept...

I believe it is very wrong to place limits and labels upon people…

Age does not make one computer illiterate, Age has very few limits, I know friends in their late seventies that race Bicycles and friends in their seventies riding Hogs across the States, my Best friend that I lost to Parkinson’s plus, she could not speak, could not walk, could not do much but for drool, bless her heart and she rode with her old man in their HD with a Side car with custom made Wheel chair rack from Oregon to Milwaukee to the Harley Davidson Plant and on to Jersey and back, the way she communicated at that time was with Flash cards, and with a panicle in her mouth she typed away upon her PC communicator, I know twenty year old dudes that can't ride more and whine like babies if they have to Ride their Hogs more then two hundred miles a day, it is wrong to put limits upon People and assume because of the deficits and up there in age that they are done and out to pasture to graze, I know 88 year old Women that are far sharper and far wiser then a Gaggle of twenty year old Video gamers by far…Never underestimate the abilities of another person for any reasons…Pavot

Edited by Pavot