Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cow backpacks trap methane gas

UM-Bot

user posted image rIn an attempt to understand the extent of cow flatulence on global warming, scientists in Argentina are strapping plastic bags to the backs of cows to capture their emissions. Argentina has more than 55 million cows, making it a leading producer of beef.

In the study, the scientists were surprised to discover that a standard 550-kg cow produces between 800 to 1,000 liters of emissions, including methane, each day.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: PhysOrg.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Wolfen69

• UM-Bot

• Blizno

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief. Cow flatulence on global warming. Talk about pointing the finger elsewhere but human beings!!! I bet PETA will be all over this for having cows carrying tanks of gas?!?

Good grief. Cow flatulence on global warming. Talk about pointing the finger elsewhere but human beings!!! I bet PETA will be all over this for having cows carrying tanks of gas?!?

Methane is a much more powerful greenhouse gas, ton per ton, than CO2. We're blasting out CO2 at an unimaginable rate, but the number of cattle (those huge numbers are due to human farming, thus this is also caused by humans) produce enough methane to contribute to global warming, although CO2 is still by far the greatest contributor.

Good grief. Cow flatulence on global warming. Talk about pointing the finger elsewhere but human beings!!!

nah... goes like this:

If Evil Man weren't Killing Animals and eating them, they wouldn't be Confined in such Overcrowded large numbers in one space causing these emissions and thus Global Warming.

It's the Non-Vegitarian Capitalist Pigs that want to Destroy our Beautiful Planet causing this problem.

well... it's something along those lines... :P

I read the largest contributer of naturally released methane by living creatures was by the Termites. There are far more of them, their world wide, and have little to do with the number of humans. But arm chair scientists will still blame Man and Cows.

Now the real question ! Do Whales and Dolphins pass gas? And will scientists count the bubbles?

I wonder how long it will be before someone tries to talk a person into wearing something like this to "save the Earth" :lol::w00t:

I read the largest contributer of naturally released methane by living creatures was by the Termites. There are far more of them, their world wide, and have little to do with the number of humans. But arm chair scientists will still blame Man and Cows.

I read that also about termites, and I remember watching a documentary about it.

Now the real question ! Do Whales and Dolphins pass gas? And will scientists count the bubbles?

LOL! I just had this mental picture of looking out at sea and a spurt of bubbles surfaces! Funny stuff! :D

Do not ask me why but last night I was thinking about this. What if they put the tank on right after it is born. Save all the gas up till it is time to turn it in to stake. Then make a BBQ grill that can use the gas to cook the stake. I think you can see where I am going with this. LOL

They. Are. Seriously. Spending. Money. On. This?

*banging head against coffee table*

Now for regular state sponsored emissions testing of dairy farms.