Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paranormal groups falsifying credentials

myghostnetwork

As your group's reputation grows the value of your group's certification also grows. There's a reason why TAPS Family Membership has value (and not just because of the TAPS name recogition).

I agree with that as well, but i still stand firm that this particular situation stinks like a dirty diaper.

There are always going to be exceptions to the rule but it is certainly hard to ignore the one's that are obviously in it to be deceptive.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• myghostnetwork

• LadyHay

• LIGhostChick

• MasterPo

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but the TAPS family membership? I know of a group that says they are "Proud members of the TAPS family" and they are truly NOT what I imagine TAPS would have envisioned representing them. How can TAPS possibly accredit or certify a group that they have no personal knowledge of, rather simply an application for membership?

TAPS Family Membership isn't a certification. But the group does have to adhere to certain standards and practices and every year has to provide documentation to support their membership. If a group is behaving outside the guidelines they should be reported.

"Certification" of anyone for anything doesn't guarantee the individual(s) will behave as they should. No certification can force that.

I agree with that as well, but i still stand firm that this particular situation stinks like a dirty diaper.

There are always going to be exceptions to the rule but it is certainly hard to ignore the one's that are obviously in it to be deceptive.

I agree.

Its a field still very young and has a lot of refining to do, some of the certifications are simply for education in the use of equipment and a general 123 of how an investigation should be done, I dont think all of the things offered are necessarily a bad thing. For those eager to get in to this it may help a lot. But why someone would is their own business. I feel there is much room for being taken advantage of and as well as much money to be made, Its turned in to a business for profit and people like our ghost hunting plumbers are leading the way for such free enterprise.

Ghost hunting is the hottest thing to be involved in. My group is maintained in confidence no blogs of cases or references to any clients. I still believe their is integrity to be kept no matter what all our people learn the how to' them selves but I am certainly not opposed to courses in equipment, law, case handling , liability and etc.

I do think there will come a time where a norm will be established so I am for the certifications they are just leading the way to better education later.

It should be done on a point system...

Have delt with a ghost=1 point

Have fought a demon=3 points

Chased away a poltergiest=2 points

Saw orbs in picture ya took=10 points

Heard whispers/voices=1 point per minute

Felt a "cold area"=1 point per square meter

TAPS Family Membership isn't a certification. But the group does have to adhere to certain standards and practices and every year has to provide documentation to support their membership. If a group is behaving outside the guidelines they should be reported.

"Certification" of anyone for anything doesn't guarantee the individual(s) will behave as they should. No certification can force that.

I agree.

From the TAPS website for TAPS family member requirements - http://www.the-atlantic-paranormal-society...anagernote.html

1. Your team must have a minimum of one year of service in the community. This must be verifiable.

2. Your team must have a web presence and must represent themselves on an add-free service. We shy away from freebie web hosting sites.

3. You must provide two (2) references at a minimum from your local community. This ensures to us that you've been active in a positive light.

4. The Founder of your group must be at least 21 years of age and have a clean criminal background.

5. Your group must offer all services for free and while your policy may include accepting donations, you may not state that you ASK for them.

6. Your group must be in an area where we need coverage. Please see the coverage map here.

7. You understand that if your group is rejected at the current time, you may not reapply for at least 12 months.

Pretty easy to fudge. I also know that this group has illicitly kept monies given them to cover research fees, while they produced nothing to this person (can't prove it, unfortunately - I only have the word of members who defected because of this and other actions of the group). I wonder how TAPS would feel about that. I'm not doing this to air a grudge but to just point out the flaws of having "representatives" that they have no jurisdiction over.

Pretty easy to fudge. I also know that this group has illicitly kept monies given them to cover research fees, while they produced nothing to this person (can't prove it, unfortunately - I only have the word of members who defected because of this and other actions of the group). I wonder how TAPS would feel about that. I'm not doing this to air a grudge but to just point out the flaws of having "representatives" that they have no jurisdiction over.

If you can not prove it then why say it? Going off of hear-say probably isn't the best bet regardless of who the person is.

Taking a "certification" course just doesn't make sense. Every group has different standards, methods & approaches. When you take a course from a group they're most likely going to teach you how they do it. Who's to say which group is doing it right or wrong. If you wanna certify members in your own group I dont see a problem with that but taking a course that charges you? I don't think so.

Taking a "certification" course just doesn't make sense. Every group has different standards, methods & approaches. When you take a course from a group they're most likely going to teach you how they do it. Who's to say which group is doing it right or wrong. If you wanna certify members in your own group I dont see a problem with that but taking a course that charges you? I don't think so.

I am with you, I just don't buy it, there are far too many techniques to set an industry standard. without the industry standard there is nothing to certify, i have said it before, and i stand firm on it. i guess the best thing to say is, be super careful what you pay for.

I just had a thought on how cheated someone would probably feel after they paid 500 bucks then read this thread. I can imagine some of the posts people would say when a new member would sign up and make a thread introducing themselves and saying "Hi I am John Doe and I am a certified Paranormal Investigator" hahaha this kid could have a full blown apparition on video and it would be disregarded because people will see certified paranormal investigator and show him no mercy.

Edited by Black_Swamp_Paranormal

aww i already feel bad for that person, because I know they are bound to show up :)

i just wish groups would focus more on the fact that they are there to help the community. I think it is important to educate yourself as much as possible, and also focus on giving back to the community as an organization, holding charitable events etc. wouldn't it be wonderful to see a tagline on a groups website that said "abc paranormal society - dedicated to helping our community" rather than "abc paranormal society - certified paranormal investigators"

There's no need to get certified by Joe Blow. Do your own research, find your own methods to investigate & everything should work out just fine. The people offering those courses should be ashamed of themselves. What makes them the experts? It's pathetic.

It is a shame.

I wanted to post some links, but since they are selling these certifications it may be considered solicitation.

But just Google "Paranormal investigator certification" and you will be shocked how many on-line courses

there are....

One site charges $95.00 for the course and you get a free EMF detector! Wow!!! Geez......... :angry:

Paranormal commercialization? Just another way for scammers to make $$$. :hmm:

I know a person that took a Demonology course online & got certified :wacko: . I found that to be really ridiculous, I think that one's worse than paranormal certification. You can't take a course to become a demonologist. You have to be chosen by the church! I hate people that take advantage of the stupid people out there. It's just another thing to make this field less credible. Now you have people running around claiming to be certified & probably have no idea about anything.

It is a shame.

I wanted to post some links, but since they are selling these certifications it may be considered solicitation.

But just Google "Paranormal investigator certification" and you will be shocked how many on-line courses

there are....

One site charges $95.00 for the course and you get a free EMF detector! Wow!!! Geez......... :angry:

Paranormal commercialization? Just another way for scammers to make $$$. :hmm:

But if you order it right now, they will throw in a bonus flash light absolutly free, thats a $19.99 dollars value. :o

QUOTE (jonny b @ Jul 15 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But if you order it right now, they will throw in a bonus flash light absolutly free, thats a $19.99 dollars value. :o

... but wait there's more, if you order within the next 10 minutes we'll throw in your very first ghost absolutely free!

Makes me chuckle.

Certified ghost hunters.

That's like saying

Certified vaccuumers

or

certified spider seeker

or like all the "schools" of witchcraft / wicca / magic on the web.

Puleeaaase..... lol

:D

I JUST SIGNED UP at - link removed - THIS CLASS WAS A STEEL ONLY $400. SOON ILL BE CERTIFIED AND YOULL BE PEE ON'S. seriously look at the school and laugh ur *** off.

Edited by Saru
Best not to name and shame specific sites or organisations by name.

... but wait there's more, if you order within the next 10 minutes we'll throw in your very first ghost absolutely free!

Rofl, that is hilarious. :lol:

I JUST SIGNED UP at - link removed - THIS CLASS WAS A STEEL ONLY $400. SOON ILL BE CERTIFIED AND YOULL BE PEE ON'S. seriously look at the school and laugh ur *** off.

oh my god! i mean at least hire a decent web designer so you could appear a little more professional.

how very very sad.

If I do my major in ghost hunting what are good choices for my minor?

;)

oh you should definitely minor in "flashlight usage" i hear it is very complimentary to the ghost hunting major.

oh my god! i mean at least hire a decent web designer so you could appear a little more professional.

how very very sad.

The website is just a testimoney to how awsome the coarse is, lol

If you can not prove it then why say it? Going off of hear-say probably isn't the best bet regardless of who the person is.

Geeze Noah... did you not read the rest of my comment? It is not about making accusations. It is about groups not adhering to TAPS, regardless. You can be damn sure though, if I were the one with the evidence, I would be reporting it.