Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Military Commanders Want Obama To Visit Iraq

Lt_Ripley

Joe Biden: Military Commanders Want Obama To Visit Iraq

By Greg Sargent - July 14, 2008, 1:54PM

There was a striking moment just now on an Obama campaign conference call with reporters: Top Obama supporter Joe Biden said that all the military commanders he talks to privately say they want Barack Obama to make the trip to Iraq that's been ridiculed by the McCain camp.

"One thing I can tell you for certain from recent trips is commanders in the field...all want to see Barack Obama," Biden said, in a reference to Obama's planned trip.

"They know the policy that's being pursued now is one that baffles them," Biden said, stressing that the commanders know, as Obama does, that current troop levels in Iraq can't be sustained and that more resources need to be freed up for Afghanistan.

Biden also came very close to suggesting that the commanders were not favorably disposed towards McCain: "They don't get this administration and they surely don't get John McCain right now."

Biden stressed that he was not speaking for the Obama campaign when he said this.

In another interesting moment, Biden predicted that Obama's planned trip to Iraq and Afghanistan will be a big political success in that it will give the commanders a chance to assess their would-be future commander in chief -- and that they would like who they were seeing.

"They're going to see a man, when they see him, of real strength," Biden said. "They're going to see a man who emanates, who radiates from him conviction and strength, and that this is a solid, solid, solid guy."

It's a striking image indeed. We'll see what happens.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmem..._commanders.php

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lt_Ripley

• Fluffybunny

• bathory

• bee

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting

"They know the policy that's being pursued now is one that baffles them," Biden said

so he is implicitly saying that military commanders believe the surge/petraeus' COIN strategy is the wrong one?

Personally I think everyone who authorized the use of force in iraq should have to spend time there to see what power they hold with a yes/no vote. Not the sanitized tour of the green zone either, something that makes them nervous.

As for Obama, he should have gone there long ago in my opinion. If he wants to run for president he is going to have to be willing to go to places that are unpleasant so that he can make a more educated decision about things and meet troops face to face.

In another interesting moment, Biden predicted that Obama's planned trip to Iraq and Afghanistan will be a big political success in that it will give the commanders a chance to assess their would-be future commander in chief -- and that they would like who they were seeing.

"They're going to see a man, when they see him, of real strength," Biden said. "They're going to see a man who emanates, who radiates from him conviction and strength, and that this is a solid, solid, solid guy."

It's a striking image indeed. We'll see what happens.

If I was Barak Obama I'd be very careful right now.

Rather than hint at it....I'm going to come right out and say it.......

A lot of people probably want him dead....but how to do it? Without causing near civil war and

race riots?

The perfect solution would be for him to be killed by an Islamic suicide bomber....or by Islamic

militants.....

I'm not advocating this for one moment.....but I've got a feeling that this might happen....(hope I'm wrong)

If I was Barak Obama I'd be very careful right now.

Rather than hint at it....I'm going to come right out and say it.......

A lot of people probably want him dead....but how to do it? Without causing near civil war and

race riots?

The perfect solution would be for him to be killed by an Islamic suicide bomber....or by Islamic

militants.....

I'm not advocating this for one moment.....but I've got a feeling that this might happen....(hope I'm wrong)

Bee that was the first thought that come to mind when i read the title,

I think he should go , but not because of media pressure. He should slip off in the middle of the night. do what he needs to do and come back.

if he got killed ? well Clinton would then be in line for the nomination. Either way Both got about the same public support just not the same delagate support against Obama.

Edited by Lt_Ripley