Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Councils can refuse to collect your rubbish

Guest Lottie

Guest Lottie

The legal right of all householders to have their bins emptied by their local council is to be abolished, the Daily Telegraph can disclose.

The proposals will allow town halls to set their own rules on what constitutes a contravention of waste collection policies

The government is to give councils the power to refuse to collect rubbish if home owners fail to abide by draconian rules which may include leaving bins in the right place, sticking to weight restrictions and following strict recycling policies.

Labour is quietly pushing the new rules through parliament without any debate after it proposed amendments to a 130-year-old law which has, until now, made it a statutory duty of local authorities to collect household waste.

There are fears that the changes to the law will lead to large increases in fly-tipping, bonfires of noxious substances and rat infestations around uncollected waste. Despite this, there will no reduction in council tax for home owners.

Continued here.

Does every household have the right to rubbish collection? Is it time councils were able to get tough with people who do not dispose of waste responsibly? Do we need tighter regulations in order to encourage people to recycle?

Or do you agreed with the Tories who have accused ministers of wanting "to give bin men any excuse they want not to collect your bin"? What will happen to all the rubbish councils decide not to collect?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevewinn

• faraway

• danielost

• Bill Hill

Top Posters In This Topic

well, all this will lead to is more fly-tipping, or people burning their own rubbish which isn't good for the environment, this government has lost its marbles.

they change laws that don't need to be changed, and thats their down fall, for a country has old has the United Kingdom we must have laws that cover every aspect, but new ones keep being added when they're simply not needed,

It's insane... I can just imagine the problems..

we already have a problem with fly-tipping because the gov charges so much to collect certain items.

I'll never forget the story of the guy who..asked the local council for a green recycle bin.

He genuinely wanted to help... but accidentally a paper letter fell into the plastics section.

The council's response?

He was fined £100!

Nice to see our Service charges and taxes going up and the continuing standards of our services dropping...

I would think if one pays taxes for a service and is refused the service one should be able to refuse to pay the tax. fair is fair .

I would think if one pays taxes for a service and is refused the service one should be able to refuse to pay the tax. fair is fair .

Fair and tax aren't two words that belong in the same sentance :)

I could moan all day about this country. They're grabbing money off everyone at every possible turn, yet they don't seem to have any money to spend on essential things like bloody healthcare and collecting bins. Who the hell is getting all our money?

Where I am our council tax has gone up £100 for police, who have just had millions spent on building a new station....WHICH IS CLOSED AT NIGHT!

Edited by faraway

draconian rules which may include leaving bins in the right place, sticking to weight restrictions and following strict recycling policies

These are draconian?

I know nothing about British trash laws, but we have to do all those things here in New Jersey. Your bin has to be at the curb facing a certain way and a minimum distance from the driveway, there are weight restrictions, and you can get fined for not recycling.

Shrug. These seem like normal requests to me.

Fair and tax aren't two words that belong in the same sentance :)

I could moan all day about this country. They're grabbing money off everyone at every possible turn, yet they don't seem to have any money to spend on essential things like bloody healthcare and collecting bins. Who the hell is getting all our money?

Where I am our council tax has gone up £100 for police, who have just had millions spent on building a new station....WHICH IS CLOSED AT NIGHT!

my council tax is £1,200 for this year and was £998 last year, the police station by me is also closed after 8pm, and only 6 officers on a weekday night patrol/police my area, an area that has well over 3,000 families, its no wonder when i phoned the police because a neighbours car was getting broken into that it took them 2 hours to respond, and then they had to re-phone to ask where about the car was and the time before that a neighbours house was getting burgled took them just 4 hours to respond, if they would have come within 5 mins they would have caught the chap in act, but he got away,

if i where chancellor i could give every single person an 11% tax cut, and still increase spending on Education and Health by 5Bn, i could recruit 400,000 extra teachers, increase the police force by 60,000 more officers, increase the army by 50,000, and the way you do this, throw everyone off job seeking allowance if they haven't got a job after 6 months, and stop sending foreign aid,

but this is a bit right wing for most, but isnt it about time the decent hard-working law abiding Brits got rewarded,

Meh.

If they refuse to take your rubbish away, tip it away. It'll atleast use the excessive amount of council tax we pay, and put it to eventually taking your rubbish away. Which they refused to take away in the first place because you have a single stamp stuck to a plastic bottle.

my council tax is £1,200 for this year and was £998 last year, the police station by me is also closed after 8pm, and only 6 officers on a weekday night patrol/police my area, an area that has well over 3,000 families, its no wonder when i phoned the police because a neighbours car was getting broken into that it took them 2 hours to respond, and then they had to re-phone to ask where about the car was and the time before that a neighbours house was getting burgled took them just 4 hours to respond, if they would have come within 5 mins they would have caught the chap in act, but he got away,

if i where chancellor i could give every single person an 11% tax cut, and still increase spending on Education and Health by 5Bn, i could recruit 400,000 extra teachers, increase the police force by 60,000 more officers, increase the army by 50,000, and the way you do this, throw everyone off job seeking allowance if they haven't got a job after 6 months, and stop sending foreign aid,

but this is a bit right wing for most, but isnt it about time the decent hard-working law abiding Brits got rewarded,

I'm not sure what the dollars current value is ... but if it's worth half a much that 1,200. is still under what I pay. a total of 3100 . dollars a year. and for what ? I live in Detroit ! nothing here is worth that , but if your poor and stuck like we are - can't afford to move . our police takes just as long to respond and still almost 50 million without health care.

just wait till the bill is due for the war ...........of course cons will cry because they won't want taxes increased to pay it , but rather leave it irresponsibly for future generations. hey but keep giving those tax breaks to big corp who keeps moving jobs out and to the top 10% and they are happy.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

I'm not sure what the dollars current value is ... but if it's worth half a much that 1,200. is still under what I pay. a total of 3100 . dollars a year. and for what ? I live in Detroit ! nothing here is worth that , but if your poor and stuck like we are - can't afford to move . our police takes just as long to respond and still almost 50 million without health care.

just wait till the bill is due for the war ...........of course cons will cry because they won't want taxes increased to pay it , but rather leave it irresponsibly for future generations. hey but keep giving those tax breaks to big corp who keeps moving jobs out and to the top 10% and they are happy.

Council tax is a different thing to ordinary tax. I don't think you pay it in america (Just because I've never met an american who knows what it is.) Basically, we pay tax, which for me is about $340 dollars on $2200 wages, national insurance, for me $140 on my $2200, then council tax which goes to local government, which costs me $190 a month. So a total of $670 a month goes to the government, at a rough estimate, $8400 a year.

Council tax sounds like our city and county tax only it doesn't come out of our pay, we are billed for it. And your national insurance is about the same as I pay in personal health insurance.

Well how long will that last before the commoners start thinking and dumping their Rubbish Bins upon the lawns of the Council members, it doesn’t take a riot to change the world, just to have some stones and use them, not that I am encouraging violence here at all or throwing anything, epically governments, just Rubbish bin...

Believe me here in the States in New York City, when the Rubbish pickup crew goes upon a stike, it gets settled pretty quickly when things start to feaster and over rippen...Rubbish desputes get settled real quick...

All in fun, but I can imagine that if that goes down, that the French may be the ones complain of the stink for once, as that is a lot of Rubbish, pun intended...and oh am I going to get it from my french family here upon Umers

Pavot

Edited by Pavot

remember 1980s when the rubbish was being dumped in middle of london. pongy, its happened once and will happen again, it's inevitable :rolleyes: government loves circles o <---limit of governments imagination to sort problems

The emphasis with us is to recycle as much as possible so we've been given 3 bins, but if you put the wrong colour bin out, they won't empty it. <_<

We can also ask for a special collection of bulky household waste (free of charge) but there is a limit to how much you can put out in one go. Or, if you have a van or something you can take it yourslf to the local recycling centre.

I think collections vary greatly depending which council you come under, as in the next area they charge £30 per item for a special collection.

I've also heard rumours about new charges, to be based on the weight of the rubbish you put in your bin :wacko: - it's supposed to encourage recycling habits.

I've also heard rumours about new charges, to be based on the weight of the rubbish you put in your bin :wacko: - it's supposed to encourage recycling habits.

Apparently that idea has been scrapped. Due to in the 'experimental areas' experiencing a ridiculous increase in fly-tipping. And neighbours putting waste in other peoples bins, etc.

It's great how councils need to spend thousands of our money testing new systems, when every member of the public can see that it won't work without trying it!

The legal right of all householders to have their bins emptied by their local council is to be abolished, the Daily Telegraph can disclose.

The proposals will allow town halls to set their own rules on what constitutes a contravention of waste collection policies

The government is to give councils the power to refuse to collect rubbish if home owners fail to abide by draconian rules which may include leaving bins in the right place, sticking to weight restrictions and following strict recycling policies.

Labour is quietly pushing the new rules through parliament without any debate after it proposed amendments to a 130-year-old law which has, until now, made it a statutory duty of local authorities to collect household waste.

There are fears that the changes to the law will lead to large increases in fly-tipping, bonfires of noxious substances and rat infestations around uncollected waste. Despite this, there will no reduction in council tax for home owners.

Continued here.

Does every household have the right to rubbish collection? Is it time councils were able to get tough with people who do not dispose of waste responsibly? Do we need tighter regulations in order to encourage people to recycle?

Or do you agreed with the Tories who have accused ministers of wanting "to give bin men any excuse they want not to collect your bin"? What will happen to all the rubbish councils decide not to collect?

Maybe they should do what some of the private companies here in the usa do. Take it all to a warehouse and sort it.

eaving bins in the right place, sticking to weight restrictions and following strict recycling policies.

Seems like reasonable rules. The garbage guys can't lift something 300 lbs or walk all the way to the back of your property to retrieve the rubbish containers.

I fail to see what this rule has to do with any war or Bush, but the same gang on the left still try to make the link.

Seems like reasonable rules. The garbage guys can't lift something 300 lbs or walk all the way to the back of your property to retrieve the rubbish containers.

I fail to see what this rule has to do with any war or Bush, but the same gang on the left still try to make the link.

They should invest in auto trucks that lift the cans without human involvment but then again you would have to leave them in the right place.

Maybe they should do what some of the private companies here in the usa do. Take it all to a warehouse and sort it.

dont have to take it to a warehouse, we the gob****es sort it for them free of charge, then put different rubbish in different bins, purple for household rubbish, blue for recycling, tins bottles paper, then a green bin for garden waste,

i call us the public gob****es because the council is getting paid £250 a tonne, and they give us no tax breaks, what we're doing when we're putting our bins out is the equivalent of leaving cheques on the kerb side waiting for the council to collect and cash them,

£19,50 a tonne for paper (mixed)

£28,00 a tonne for glass (clear)

£40,00 a tonne for cardboard

£140 a tonne mixed plastic

£250 a tonne for Alloy/Tins (mixed)

the prices increase if its different grades ans straights

price of stainless steel £960 a tonne,

if you collected all your neighbours rubbish recyclable rubbish that is, you could make a nice little fortune,

Edited by stevewinn