Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Immigrants raise fears of limited prospects

Guest Lottie

Guest Lottie

Many Britons fear their prospects are being limited because of the pressure put on housing and schools by immigrants arriving in the UK, a new report warns.

The claims come as it emerged that £1billion is being spent on putting up foreigners in council houses – despite two million people waiting for a home.

The report, titled Immigration and Social Cohesion in the UK, uncovered a stark divide in how parts of the UK adapt to new migrants.

While many people value their children growing up with cultural diversity, some feel their opportunities are reduced because of immigration.

There was particular concern around the competition for social housing, soaring house prices and school places.

Report author Mary Hickman, a Professor at London Metropolitan University, said: "We found that although many British people value the UK for being multi-ethnic and multicultural, poverty and lack of opportunities undermine social cohesion especially in certain parts of our towns and cities.

"A key factor influencing whether new migrants are accepted is the dominant story in each locality about who belongs there."

The report also suggested that Gordon Brown should spend focus on tackling poverty rather than a "fixed notion" of Britishness to improve social cohesion.

Since taking over as Prime Minister last July, Mr Brown has consistently emphasised the importance of Britishness to bind the nation together.

However the Joseph Rowntree Foundation suggested that his time might be better spent dealing with "deprivation and how people connect".

The competition for a limited supply of council housing has been one of the areas of key concern in the debate about immigration.

Since Labour came to power in 1997 the number of people on the waiting list for a council house has soared by 650,000 to 1.67million households.

Article continued here.

The report also suggested that Gordon Brown should spend focus on tackling poverty rather than a "fixed notion" of Britishness to improve social cohesion.

I agree with this and my thinking is, if poverty were tackled then social cohesion would improve naturally anyway.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chemical-licker

• faraway

• Bill Hill

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this and my thinking is, if poverty were tackled then social cohesion would improve naturally anyway.

Yes, there would be less of the couldn't care less about others mentality which seems so prevalent. :tu:

All refugees should be given first choice in Housing. Extra benefits and not be expected to work!

my head hurts... I'm not feeling myself today... :hmm:

All refugees should be given first choice in Housing. Extra benefits and not be expected to work!

maybe you need to be banned for a bit :lol:

I agree completely, but I also think that they should be provided with transport, free passes to every where, and every english speaking person born in england should take lessons in every other language in the world so that immigrants don't feel excluded.

I agree completely, but I also think that they should be provided with transport, free passes to every where, and every english speaking person born in england should take lessons in every other language in the world so that immigrants don't feel excluded.

spot on, i totally agree, i've taken it a step further and rented my house out to Abdul and his numerous wives/mistresses, am now living in a tent in the back garden, we all have to do our bit, :tu:

spot on, i totally agree, i've taken it a step further and rented my house out to Abdul and his numerous wives/mistresses, am now living in a tent in the back garden, we all have to do our bit, :tu:

Thats nothing, when I go out I black up my face so as not to make any immigrants i meet feel uncomfortable. I'm doing my bit. :ph34r:

(I feel dizzy, must be something in the makeup)

Edited by itsnotoutthere

I definitely think poverty is the key - not only tackling it but making people aware of it.

The problem is that statistics such as the ones used in this report can often cause the attitudes it talks about, as they can be misleading. People read that 'foreign' families are getting council housing while 'native Brits' are still waiting, but we have no idea about the comparative needs of each family. As a tax payer, I'd much rather housing went to an immigrant family who had fled poverty or political unrest than any one of the families that a 'native' family that is merely work shy. And I'm completely against the stereotyping of those on benefits as lazy, I just mean that we don't see the full picture of why one person is given housing over another.

I just mean that we don't see the full picture of why one person is given housing over another.

Because, it goes like this... first prioritys for goverment housing is asylum seekers. Second priority is drug addicts. Third priority is young single mothers. After those three groups have been homed, anyone else can have whats left.

This isn't exaggarating, or making it up to prove a point of how hard done to we are. It's simply how it is. Asylum seekers MUST be homed asap. A junkie will NOT be homed if their is an A.S in the same area waiting to be homed.

There's no judging the situation. We're just numbers and statistics.

I don't care myself. I avoid living in council areas.

Edited by faraway

What do you mean you should give up your tent and just sleep on the lawn chair.