Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Women more likely than men to erase tattoos

Still Waters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Tattoos have become increasingly popular among U.S. young people, but women may be more likely than men to regret getting their "body art" so much that they try to have it removed, researchers said on Monday.

About a quarter of Americans ages 18 to 30 have at least one tattoo, and this figure is expected to jump to 40 percent in the next few years, the researchers said.

Along with lots of happy customers -- an estimated 80 percent are pleased with their tattoos -- some are so unhappy that they undergo laser treatment to have them erased. An estimated 6 percent of tattoo customers eventually undergo procedures to erase them.

A team led by Texas Tech University's Myrna Armstrong went to tattoo removal clinics in Arizona, Colorado, Massachusetts and Texas to see who was getting rid of their tattoos and why.

About two-thirds of them were women. And many said their tattoos had caused them embarrassment, drawn negative comments and created problems when choosing clothing to cover them up.

A similar study a decade ago found that more men than women sought tattoo removal, the researchers said.

Click Here

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bear's Quest

• Mr  Honeybadger

• Chasexc

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alcohol has a lot to do with this and once you wake up from a heavy night of drinking, you may have to live with something that will reminds you of that night. Women are just catching up, thats all. :P

Lots of women aren't getting those little " cute " tattoos on their ankles. They're getting big ones on their arms now. Just like the guys.

Except now the guys are totally covering their arms with tattoos.

I myself will remain tattooless.

I think alcohol has a lot to do with this and once you wake up from a heavy night of drinking, you may have to live with something that will reminds you of that night. Women are just catching up, thats all. :P

I sure as hell wouldn't want to go to a tattoo shop that would actually let drunk people get tattoos ( I'm pretty sure most wouldn't though)

My mom never gets comments on her tattoo. I think it depends on what sort and stuff. She just has a rose on her shoulder.

I know a friend of my mom's whose 30 and has a tattoo of a large hawk spreading its wings on her back,she gets a lot of good comments from the younger more out-going girls and lots of nastier,snide remarks from the older generation.

I personally think her tattoo kicks a$$. (wish I had a pic on my comp to post) the hawk looks a bit like a phoenix though,its so neat :)

Too bad I'm scared of needles or I would get one as soon as I come of age.

its not the drinking,most shops wont touch a person thats drunk thats just a old stigma that wont die..

people also have to factor in cover ups,tattoo artist hides a tattoo by placing another tattoo on top of the old one,,now i use to work at a tattoo shop and we did tons of cover ups,,and more times then not it was men,,,for some reason men still get their gf name tattooedon them,,either to prove their love when they were cought doing somehting wrong or just because they are *******ed,,,,women didnt go for that kind of long term sign of love more times then not opted for a symbol or design instead of the name...

now im heavily tattooed from my neck to my ancles,,my wife is also heavily tattooed,but when we are together she gets all the atention as far as tattooed go,,she has a huge old school sailor tattoo on her chest and i cant tell ou how many times weve been stopped and people try to peek down her shirt to get a better look at it,,both men and women and they dont even seem to notice me standing next to her....tattooes arnt for everybody but everybody seems to have .02$ to give you when you do haha..

people that get their tattooes removed more then likley shouldnt have gotten tasttooed,or have gotten tattooes for the wrong reasons in the first place