Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gods & Culture

X_X

First of all, I believe in God - Jesus Christ.

Almost every culture has had a different type of religion and various gods. Often, there is a "king god". By "king god", I mean the supreme god. Such as Zeus, Ra, and ect.

Every culture has had a need to have a supreme human watching over them.

Here is a little table:

Egyptians -> Ra

Ancient Greeks -> Zeus

Aztecs -> Ehecatl

Mayans -> Hunab Ku

Modern World -> Jesus Christ

we are just the next generation of culture - which were in need of a new god so we made up "god".

human beings are about 2 million years old. God first came into existance 2000 years ago. big difference

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosewin

• Agent. Mulder

• mklsgl

• Lt_Ripley

Almost every culture has had a different type of religion and various gods. Often, there is a "king god". By "king god", I mean the supreme god. Such as Zeus, Ra, and ect.

Here is a little table:

Egyptians -> Ra

Ancient Greeks -> Zeus

Aztecs -> Ehecatl

Mayans -> Hunab Ku

we are just the next generation of culture - which were in need of a new god so we made up "god".

human beings are about 2 million years old. God first came into existance 2000 years ago. big difference

God came into existance longer than 2000 years ago. but I agree we are just the next generation in a line of generations of God(s) and eventually this round of ideals about God will change as well. in 2000 more years , maybe less or more , we may not recognize them or what is followed now maybe thought of as myth just as Ra and Zeus are.

They will change. either change or fall away .

Cultures do not need [G-d]. Some people in some cultures believe in a "higher power." Your list is a few "at bats" short of a complete season. Try doing some actual research next time around and bring something of genuine substance to UM.

The Christian God came into existence 2000 years ago.

There have been dieties and worship since the beginnings of man.

Cheers

Pendora

From the ancient days of human history, people thought it was the "thunder god" which made it rain; he controlled the skies. Then when tidal waves or tsunamis swept the earth people thought it was the "god of the sea and water" which controls the waters of the world and casted destructive waves upon humanity when we've made the gods angry. But now, fast forward a couple of centuries and we humans needed to out do ourselves. We figured those gods of the past were silly, impotent and limited, we then had to come up with something better than multiple gods, each endowed with they're own set of abilities. Then, it hit us! "Why are we worshiping these many different gods, which only can do so little by themselves when we can worship one God!?" Oh yeah, we had to go one god further..... "Well Zeus doesn't exist, neither does Aquaman of water and sea, but what about One God? None of these other gods possibly exist, but one god has to! But this God, he doesn't just control rain, water, or fire, he can do anything! He's omnipotent, he can do any and everything! Not only that, he knows everything! Past, present and future! But no, it doesn't stop there, he is also everywhere at once! He's omnipresent, so you can't escape him! But most importantly, he cares for us, he's omni-benevolent, All-Loving. This God is supreme ruler over all that we know, no other god can match him."

"Some people just go one god further...."-Richard Dawkins

Edited by An Urban Legend

Here is a little table:

Egyptians -> Ra

Ancient Greeks -> Zeus

Aztecs -> Ehecatl

Mayans -> Hunab Ku

Firstly, I'm sure a good 4 billion people would take issue with your assumption that JC is the "modern god".

Second.... what the hell is your point?

"Some people just go one god further...."[/b]-Richard Dawkins

^ this.

Here is a little table:

Egyptians -> Ra

Ancient Greeks -> Zeus

Aztecs -> Ehecatl

Mayans -> Hunab Ku

Depends on your beliefs. The concept of 'god' whatever the name may be may have come into existence thousands of years ago but actual metaphysical substance associated with 'God' has been in existence since time eternity. According to Hinduism the God Brahman is the manifestation of everything we see and dont see and transcends them both. Therefore to some hindus atheism is an expression of God (Gandhi believed this), science, religion etc.

But again this comes down to one's personal and private beliefs.

Edited by brave_new_world

I see your point. There does seem to be a universal theme, that no matter the name, there is a divine being that seems to be the same. I am also trying to understand your reasoning behind this as well.

But, in some cultures, there are more than one divine higher being. Ra being in the Egyptian, I was wondering, and hoping, you would provide where you got this information. I always thought, that there were more than one being to worship. The Romans and the Greeks in the past, had many. The Native Americans had a lot. Do these cultures compare in the same way to the ones in your examples?

gods and culture.

since man created god, its why Each culture has their own basically. each has their own that suits their needs, or preferences, and what they believe. because they came up with it. if god was real, they would have told Each culture, all ove the world, the same thing. not just single out one group, and try to get them to 'spread the word'. when others have already been worshipping other gods.

Religion is a cultural constant. The Judeo-Christian concept of who God is dates back to at least Abraham whose family was into idolatry before that.

Venus of Wilendorf..... A lot older then 2,000 years. 'God' has been around as long as humans and thats more then 2,000 years.

Well I for one do not have a contest mentality of whose deity was around longer. It is not as if anyone alive today knows what specific customs were associated to the Venus of Willendorf or any other Venus figurine. It is a mystery and one that gnaws on me for I really want to know all about the goddess. For those who think God is the Universe and the Creator of it all naturally have no need to be insecure about a numbers game.

I think all religions are beautiful though and feel somewhat sympathy for those who lack any sense of belief. I do not see why people who believe in something or another have to compete with each other. It makes no sense. A celebration of diversity and belief is more my style. Negative competition...I simply reject it.

Edited by Clovis

Religion is a cultural constant. The Judeo-Christian concept of who God is dates back to at least Abraham whose family was into idolatry before that.

Interesting part - I need to re-read Genesis regarding Abraham's religion before he met God... I was under impression that he was quite a tough guy, relying on himself rather than on any idols. Maybe even a complete infidel. (This is certainly off-topic as the topic is not very thrilling :) )

Joshua 24:2

I see... But the life description of Abraham himself does not mention him worshiping to other gods. He was looking for protection in using lies and selling his wife, but not in worshiping idols, so it looked like he was feeling entirely on his own. Of course it is possible by default that he was a pagan before his revelation.

Yes, why I was careful to say that Abraham's family was into idolatry. Most likely Abraham was as well. It just makes sense that people believe as their parents but of course he might have been a simple non-believer living in the rugged only believing in the day to day struggle and joys.

Here is a little table:

Egyptians -> Ra

Ancient Greeks -> Zeus

Aztecs -> Ehecatl

Mayans -> Hunab Ku

I got a bigger table: http://www.godchecker.com/

"Welcome to Godchecker - your Guide to the Gods

We have more Gods than you can shake a stick at. Godchecker's Mythology Encyclopedia currently features over 2,850 deities."

Enjoy.

I got a bigger table: http://www.godchecker.com/

"Welcome to Godchecker - your Guide to the Gods

We have more Gods than you can shake a stick at. Godchecker's Mythology Encyclopedia currently features over 2,850 deities."

Enjoy.

nice link.

thats basically why i believe (as i posted before) there is no god. otherwise there would only Be, ONE in our world. it woulda told the same thing, to Every culture. not where each culture has 'contact' basically, by the One god, that created it all. that makes no sesne to me. how one is right, while the others are wrong. even the ones before the christian god.

So if there was One True God all I would have to do to make others not believe is invent a bunch of other gods?

Here is a little table:

Egyptians -> Ra

Ancient Greeks -> Zeus

Aztecs -> Ehecatl

Mayans -> Hunab Ku

Sorry, X_X, but this is ethnocentric propaganda. Your "almost every" is a tiny sliver of civilizations throughout the ages. Shamanism is likely one of the oldest and most widespread religions and there is NO supreme boss man running that show. Nobody worships nobody in that cosmology. Native North American spirituality is founded on decentralized power, no king, no dungeon. In Native tradition, Coyote created human kind out of clay 'cause he was bored one day. He had fun playing with his creations until they started behaving really badly. He told them to knock it off, but they defied him and he left. Now he's just embarrassed and that's why we see him skulking around the edges of our villages and camp fires, wishing he could undo his terrible mistake. Is he one of your "king gods?" Where's the "king god" in Buddhism? Western culture has to be one of, if not the most arrogant culture the world has ever known. You really need to get out more. ;)

Is that not a bit of generalization HK? Native tradition? There are way too many tribes to simply say they all believe this or that. Each one was unique with their own sacred traditions and beliefs. Some did share some facets but for the most there is much diversity.

So if there was One True God all I would have to do to make others not believe is invent a bunch of other gods?

...what?

that makes no sense. thats what people have Already Done. there Are a bunch of other gods (thousands i think)

Sorry, X_X, but this is ethnocentric propaganda. Your "almost every" is a tiny sliver of civilizations throughout the ages. Shamanism is likely one of the oldest and most widespread religions and there is NO supreme boss man running that show. Nobody worships nobody in that cosmology. Native North American spirituality is founded on decentralized power, no king, no dungeon. In Native tradition, Coyote created human kind out of clay 'cause he was bored one day. He had fun playing with his creations until they started behaving really badly. He told them to knock it off, but they defied him and he left. Now he's just embarrassed and that's why we see him skulking around the edges of our villages and camp fires, wishing he could undo his terrible mistake. Is he one of your "king gods?" Where's the "king god" in Buddhism? Western culture has to be one of, if not the most arrogant culture the world has ever known. You really need to get out more. ;)

well look what the cat drug in (((BIG HUGS ) HK.... love your amazing posts as always .. i hope you are gonna be posting :wub: more...

HKC: great post.

The OP's misuse of the word 'culture' combined with his/her lack of what 'culture' means caused my initial abruptness--for which I certainly apologize.

2850 is good number, but I think the actual number is closer to 3500 (gods, goddesses, deities, et al).

To clarify, so that we're all on the same page--and I apologize if I'm stating the obvious: "culture" includes religions. For example, 'American Culture' would include such *things* as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, and no less than 1000 other religions; cheeseburgers, corned-beef specials, McDonald's; the Dallas Cowboys, LA Lakers, NY Yankees, Tiger Woods; CNN, the Simpsons, All In The Family, "Hollywood"; Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow, Aerosmith, Coltrane and Miles Davis; Italians, Irish, Asians, Africans, Latinos, et al; (Get where this is going?)

Cultures exist without religions; religions do not exist without cultures.

"Some people just go one god further...."[/b]-Richard Dawkins

And some people have one god less.