Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone know of any cryptids in Ontario?

MetalGear

Hi everyone!

I'm a new user here on the forums and I'm pretty fascinated with paranormal stuff. Particularly, cryptozoology. Unfortunately, I live in Ontario, Canada and we don't seem to get much strange creature sightings around here (beside, maybe, a few Sasquatches ;) ). So, anyone know of any cryptid sightings in Ontario?

Hi everyone!

I'm a new user here on the forums and I'm pretty fascinated with paranormal stuff. Particularly, cryptozoology. Unfortunately, I live in Ontario, Canada and we don't seem to get much strange creature sightings around here (beside, maybe, a few Sasquatches ;) ). So, anyone know of any cryptid sightings in Ontario?

Given the number of lakes.. I'd be pretty suprised if there aren't a few dozen lake monsters.

Edited by Nocturnal

Well... the first place to look for local cryptid sightings would be people in your neighborhood, then on to the courthouse/police and ask if they have any odd animal sightings... might be good to check out animal control as well. Other than that I don't have any ideas. Other than sasquatch but everyone knows about him.

There seems to be a giant snake in Lake Ontario but all the reports I could find were from the early 1900's...

"...drove of cattle went to drink, whereupon the huge monster raised his head above the water and approached the shore, intending no doubt to take an evening meal of fresh beef."

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/lake-ontario/

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

When I was very young, I saw what I thought was the back of a huge creature, whale, or massive turtle surface for a few seconds before sinking into the water of the Ottawa River. I was convinced it was something mysterious at the time, but in retrospect it was probably some half-submerged object floating down the river.

Northern Ontario might have some Windigo kicking around, though they seemed to have moved West with the Cree :P Apart from that don't know of any monsters in Ontario that haven't been proven to just be animals.

Okay.. I use to live in BC where i'd go with my dad looking for stuff like this. But then I moved to Ontario and had to do a bit of research, along with finding out somethings on my own.

Lake Ontario is reporter to be the home a large serpend like creature. Within the stretches of 30-35ft long. There are a few more recent sightings, but nothing made public.

We all know the Lakes were used as shipping throughout eastern Canada. We apparently a small "pirate attack" happened on a cargo ship back in the late 1800's. The ship was burnt down, and now, theres rumours of a ghost ship the sails along the lake of Ontario. Theres also been reports of a firey light floating out in the middle of the night. Screams and cannon fire have also been heard.

Theres also my account with a strange creature in the town of Whitby. Me and a pal were wondering down along the river, it was starting to get dark. We had to head back to the house, but were comfronted by a deep growling noise, and the brush rattling. The eyes the shot through were a bright yellow. We we're frightened but curious, so we got closer. Clouds we rolling over, and there was a bit of rain fall. As we got closer, the noise seemed to get deeper, and more aggresive. About 7ft away, and then lightning flashed around us, and it ran off. We go down there from time to time looking for it, and have seemed to have no trouble finding it.

Hope this gave you some info.

Everyone had already mentioned what I was thinking about (Wendigo, lake monsters, bigfoot), but you also might be able to find some local ghost stories. I don't know how old the buildings in your town are, but you could ask around the older adults to see if they remember any local ghost lore. Even some younger buildings are reported to have ghosts.

Here is some information on the Wendigo, if you want it.

EDIT: Where are my manners?! Welcome to UM, MetalGear!

Edited by rosenrot

I also live in Ontario , Canada and have been looking for ages for somthing myserious here...... Sadly i live right near a City , so there is no large forsted areas or anything......But from time to time m and my friend will go up to his trailer near a big lake wich is surronded by lake and we love to go walking around there looking for bigfoot or somthing :P

• 1 month later...

nothing scary in Ontario?? y/n

• 7 years later...

Odd Ontario Canine

A man who went fishing for brook trout alone on the night of July  7th, 2015 near Bancroft, Ontario, found much more than he bargained for as he returned to his cabin via a gravel road. It was light enough out that he could see fifty feet ahead of him even without his truck headlamps on when he saw what he thought was a person standing in the middle of the road about 20 feet away. He slowed down and flicked his four roof lights on.

“It was a creature about seven feet tall, black with greyish-silver parts, hunched over with a dead rabbit in its hands,” he wrote. “Yes, hands with fingers and claws as far as I could tell. Its feet seemed to be bent backwards. It turned its head and shoulders and looked right at me. I could see its yellow eye shine.” [Typical for canine eyes, I might add.]

https://lindagodfrey.com/2015/12/21/new-dogman-reports-in-ontario-and-new-jersey/

• 2 years later...

I’m also in Ontario and near a big city and I had my own encounter a few nights ago.

It was just after 11:00 pm and I was walking home from a friends house (I was not high or drunk in anyway) Just ahead of me I thought I saw some movement so I started to look closer by the time I got about 200 feet away from it I was able to make out a medium sized Grey-ish creature, it was standing in the road about 200 feet away from me, I had been watching it for about 30 seconds and then it turned and ran down the road so fast it looked like it had almost teleported. By the time I got to where it was there where no signs of anything being there.

Also 2 years ago in the same area I had seen some large tracks in the snow. They looked like a cross between a large canine and a big cat. I had seen these same tracks in a large patch of mud deep in The forest behind my house a few years prior.

i don’t Know what I saw or if these stories are related in anyway but my first thought was either dogman, some type of northern Chupacabra, Wendigo or some type of northern skinwalker.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Dundas conservation area. Many sightings multiple witnesses. Very tall and slender, was too dark to see any distinct features. Observed to stalk silently through the woods, group size was no concern. When we had made it known we had seen it it would drop to all fours and scurry away very quickly, again almost silently.

Would not recommend trying to track it down, the behaviour witnessed and positioning it took to the group was less curious and more like a stalking predator. Have never been taken off guard like that before.

The limbs were very slender and equal in length, and considerably longer than the torso. The movement of the joints is very hard to describe, very spread out, sharp angles, like watching a centipede with only 4 legs. Approx height of 6.5 to 7 ft.

Got to be a bigfoot somewhere in Ontario building teepees. 

• 9 months later...

My family owns a small cottage up in Muskoka 2 hours north of Toronto and we had a run in with a skinwalker.
after our neighbors cut down some trees to build a new cottage we kept on spotting huge (for their kind) animals with weird white fur or feathers I say "kept" on but we only saw them maybe once or twice a visit still creepy as hell though.
One visit this owl just landed on our deck and watched my mom and aunt from maybe 5 feet away although all the other times they just watched from a distance.

Hey muskoka has bears and puma remember as well as the odd wolverine. On top of this dogmen seem to be the most common cryptid in ontario.

22 hours ago, CurseOfMidas said:

My family owns a small cottage up in Muskoka 2 hours north of Toronto and we had a run in with a skinwalker.

Was he performing a ceremony and you disturbed him, or did you upset some Natives? 

11 minutes ago, CANDIDPETS said:

On top of this dogmen seem to be the most common cryptid in ontario.

That urban legend grew out of a type of Algonquian Holy Man who portrays a wolf or puma. Mostly wolves.  

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2008 at 10:31 PM, CANDIDPETS said:

nothing scary in Ontario?? y/n

Only the night life in Hamilton.

As Far as Lake Erie there's this: https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/17/crystal-beach-sea-serpent-of-1896-water-beast-or-marketing-stunt/ and http://www.ontarioparks.com/parksblog/lake-monsters-in-ontario-parks/

The big ghost stories I've heard are from on the American side at Fort Niagara; https://www.oldfortniagara.org/news/article/current/2016/10/31/100049/haunted-fortress-presents-the-dark-side-of-old-fort-niagara-october-15-and-22

Edited by Trelane