Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Edgar Mitchell claims alien contact cover-up

UM-Bot

Just goes to show that even an astronaut, an American Hero, can be a bit off his nut.......................

Just goes to show that even an astronaut, an American Hero, can be a bit off his nut.......................

First, not everyone becomes senile as they age. Second, Dr. Mitchell has always held beliefs that are a bit 'outside of the box'. Third, Dr. Mitchell does not say he has scientific proof for his personal conclusions (but he does think that others may have such proof). And finally, Dr. Mitchell holds a PhD in Aeronautic Engineering from MIT (Mass Institute of Technology)...scarcily your garden variety *nut* IMO.

"The vision for creating the Institute of Noetic Sciences came in 1971. Nations throughout the world had galvanized around the exciting frontier of space exploration. The potential for scientific understanding of our world seemed unlimited to a naval air captain named Edgar Mitchell. He was a pragmatic young test pilot, engineer and scientist; a mission to the moon on Apollo 14 was his "dream come true." Space exploration symbolized for Dr Mitchell what it did for his nation as a whole—technological triumph of historical proportions, unprecedented mastery of the world in which we live, and extraordinary potentials for new discoveries.

But it was the trip home that Mitchell recalls most. Sitting in the cramped cabin of the space capsule, he saw planet Earth floating freely in the vastness of space. He was engulfed by a profound sense of universal connectedness—an epiphany.

In Mitchell's own words: "The presence of divinity became almost palpable, and I knew that life in the universe was not just an accident based on random processes. . . ."

"The knowledge came to me directly."

Mitchell faced a critical challenge. As a physical scientist, he had grown accustomed to directing his attention to the objective world "out there." But the experience that came to him in space led him to a startling hypothesis: Perhaps reality is more complex, subtle, and inexorably mysterious than conventional science had led him to believe. Perhaps a deeper understanding of consciousness could lead to a new and expanded view of reality in which objective and subjective, outer and inner, are understood as co-equal aspects of the miracle and mystery of being.

After his safe return "home," Mitchell sought out others who likewise felt the need for an expanded, more inclusive view of reality. They resolved to explore the inner world of human experience with the same rigor and critical thinking that made it possible for Apollo 14 to journey to the moon and back. In 1973, this small group of explorers founded the Institute of Noetic Sciences—derived from the Greek word nous, meaning something close to "intuitive ways of knowing." (Dr Mitchell's story is told in the book The Way of the Explorer: An Apollo Astronaut's Journey Through the Material and Mystical Worlds)." Source

OK here is what I have a problem with:

1. The government is covering it up. Last I checked the government is huge with different departments. You can not tell me from the President all the way down to your local mail carrier is in on this. You might say it is some secret agency that no one knows the name of is in charge of this, but I am sure in 60 years someone from somewhere would report the name of the department. Shoot we hear about black ops and other so called “secret departments”.

2. It is a secret! What? We live in a day and age that government officials and movie stars can not spit on the side walk with out it being posted all over the internet and the papers. How many times have we heard about hookers and people in office? If they can not keep that a secret what makes you think that they can hide alien visitors.

3. How big space is. It is FREEKING HUGE!!!! It is every thing we can do today just to toss a few small peaces of junk in to space. Shoot look what it is taking just to get back to the moon. There is a 3D graphic program that I tinker with some times called Maya one day I decided to have some fun and make all the planets in or Solar System to scale in to the program. So I went online got all the sizes and pumped them in to the program. When I got to the sun earth was just a speck compared to the sun.

linked-image

Did not make this but you can see what I am talking about.

Then I decided to place them in the correct orbits. Well lets just say there was no way I could even render an image of it because if I zoomed out where just the inner planets would be on the screen sun was not even a speck. We all grow up with the little models of the solar system that are so out of scale it is not funny that we get the idea that every thing out there is not that far off.

Let’s just say there was a nice warm earth like planet where Jupiter, 369 million miles at its closets point from us. That is right in our back yard so to say. In order for those aliens to come flying around like they say UFO’s do from even that distance they would be so technology advanced than us we would be like ants to them. Not to say anything about our nearest solar system.

By the way that is Proxima centuari 4.3 light years.

4. They are interested in us. Living in New York would you decided to take off and go 408 Main St in Kyapcha Dzong, Bhutan just see one grain of sand that is under there ice box for 2years or even care about it. I don’t think so. There is much more interesting things to see out there. You can not convince me that a race of interstellar space beings would travel light years just to see the grain of sand that we live on.

5. Their friendly. Just look at our past every time one group of people that have more technology go find another group of people, what do they do? Plant there flag and kill the natives. Sure it has gotten better in this day and age but that is because you might p*** off a bigger country that had there eye on that land. Yes we do send food to starving kids in poor places, but if they had something we want you could be sure we would go hop in our pickup trucks and go kill them. Just read the news and you can all ready see that.

5. We would accept them. Man kind can not get over simple things like skin color, religion or even male and female. So how do you think we would react to big eye, big head walking sticks from another planet? Even if they could wipe us out in a sec, do you think that would stop someone from shooting at them? Can any one say Custards Last Stand? If they knew this I do not think they would even come close to our solar system for the same reason that you do not swat a hornet’s nest with a stick.

Do not flame me just my two bits…

Edited by Wolfen69

Snipped for emphasis:

5. Their friendly. Just look at our past every time one group of people that have more technology go find another group of people, what do they do? Plant there flag and kill the natives. Sure it has gotten better in this day and age but that is because you might p*** off a bigger country that had there eye on that land. Yes we do send food to starving kids in poor places, but if they had something we want you could be sure we would go hop in our pickup trucks and go kill them. Just read the news and you can all ready see that.

5. We would accept them. Man kind can not get over simple things like skin color, religion or even male and female. So how do you think we would react to big eye, big head walking sticks from another planet? Even if they could wipe us out in a sec, do you think that would stop someone from shooting at them? Can any one say Custards Last Stand?

:tu:

If they knew this I do not think they would even come close to our solar system for the same reason that you do not swat a hornet’s nest with a stick.

Do not flame me just my two bits…

:lol:

WOW ... there are two threads on this... but I suspected it would be...

I left this comment on the other thread.. so leaving it here too!

Hey all!!

Been forever since I have visited UM ... but I just read about this and had to log on to find out what everybody else was saying about it.

I don't see why a 77 year old Astronaut Veteran would lie, but of course ... ya never know!

Hope everybody is doing well!!

~Nxt

OK here is what I have a problem with:

1. The government is covering it up. Last I checked the government is huge with different departments. You can not tell me from the President all the way down to your local mail carrier is in on this. You might say it is some secret agency that no one knows the name of is in charge of this, but I am sure in 60 years someone from somewhere would report the name of the department. Shoot we hear about black ops and other so called “secret departments”.

On the larry king show they talked about how Two CIA groups had some ssort of shoot out against each other because they weren't informened that the CIA would be there. I didn't take too much atention to it so you'll have to look it up yourself but you get the gist.

2. It is a secret! What? We live in a day and age that government officials and movie stars can not spit on the side walk with out it being posted all over the internet and the papers. How many times have we heard about hookers and people in office? If they can not keep that a secret what makes you think that they can hide alien visitors.

Do you know what is in AREA 51? I don't see it in the news papers. I also never read how there are massive rooms under ground wear they test nuclear bombs. This celeb knowing all crap is for the "sheep", you camparision are in two diffrent worlds of their own.

3. How big space is. It is FREEKING HUGE!!!! It is every thing we can do today just to toss a few small peaces of junk in to space. Shoot look what it is taking just to get back to the moon. There is a 3D graphic program that I tinker with some times called Maya one day I decided to have some fun and make all the planets in or Solar System to scale in to the program. So I went online got all the sizes and pumped them in to the program. When I got to the sun earth was just a speck compared to the sun.

linked-image

Did not make this but you can see what I am talking about.

Then I decided to place them in the correct orbits. Well lets just say there was no way I could even render an image of it because if I zoomed out where just the inner planets would be on the screen sun was not even a speck. We all grow up with the little models of the solar system that are so out of scale it is not funny that we get the idea that every thing out there is not that far off.

Let’s just say there was a nice warm earth like planet where Jupiter, 369 million miles at its closets point from us. That is right in our back yard so to say. In order for those aliens to come flying around like they say UFO’s do from even that distance they would be so technology advanced than us we would be like ants to them. Not to say anything about our nearest solar system.

By the way that is Proxima centuari 4.3 light years.

Would earth be apart of those inner planets? How can we see the sun then, it should be a spec?

4. They are interested in us. Living in New York would you decided to take off and go 408 Main St in Kyapcha Dzong, Bhutan just see one grain of sand that is under there ice box for 2years or even care about it. I don’t think so. There is much more interesting things to see out there. You can not convince me that a race of interstellar space beings would travel light years just to see the grain of sand that we live on.

A grain of sand can't experience pain and suffering, there's a big diffrance.

That's because of greed. Only wise men understand that greed is pointless. The wise men aren't greedy but then there will be the greedy people to abuse the wise men. Actually i just thought of an intresting point. Our advancement is basically due to survival and greed. So if aliens are more technological you could say they had the problem, maybe they still do.

6. We would accept them. Man kind can not get over simple things like skin color, religion or even male and female. So how do you think we would react to big eye, big head walking sticks from another planet? Even if they could wipe us out in a sec, do you think that would stop someone from shooting at them? Can any one say Custards Last Stand? If they knew this I do not think they would even come close to our solar system for the same reason that you do not swat a hornet’s nest with a stick.

Humans think too much. Greedy or insecure people are the reason for racism and fights between religion. It was said that we would unit if aliens showed themselves. No matter how advanced technology gets it won't fix these problems. The problems lie within ourselves. If we try and tackle this problem with technology then we will only supress and bind our freedom and we will be forced to be robotic.

Snip<

The problems lie within ourselves.

Agree

we try and tackle this problem with technology then we will only supress and bind our freedom and we will be forced to be robotic.

Humans think too much. Greedy or insecure people are the reason for racism and fights between religion. It was said that we would unit if aliens showed themselves.

No matter how advanced technology gets it won't fix these problems.

Respectfully disagree. Although technology can certainly be a double-edged sword, advancements in technology will give us a better understanding of human nature.

As this happens, I believe we will become less judgemental and more compassionate. It's happening now! :tu:

Respectfully disagree. Although technology can certainly be a double-edged sword, advancements in technology will give us a better understanding of human nature.

As this happens, I believe we will become less judgemental and more compassionate. It's happening now! :tu:

Intresting...

You can look a business for example. Masses of people all bunched up in a tiny room buying and selling oil to each other. These guys are shouting and roaring and one would wonder how they sell anything. Technology is most useful for those who want power. There wil be people that will suffer because of their want for power. I believe that if perpetual motion machine was made (if it's even possible) then world economy would collapse and mayham. There would be nothing that had value. The value of course isen't in matter but the true value is us and everyone else. From what I can see the business and law is privatising and what we are becomes blurred materialisticlly. This invites genetic experiements which can mess up everything. Two mushrooms, one from south africa and one from europe were bread together in south maerica in hopes it would create a super mushroom. It caused blight and caused the famine in Ireland. Moving into geneitcs is a very stupid move. We will do genetically enhance something it will cause a problem somwear else and we will have to genetically mody that to fix the problem before you know it everything is this self monitered system. Why go into genetics when we have a perfectly good system that doesn't need to be monitered as it is.

We have to look with in first see the problems, fix the problems. Only then will the technology be benficial.

Intresting...

You can look a business for example. Masses of people all bunched up in a tiny room buying and selling oil to each other. These guys are shouting and roaring and one would wonder how they sell anything. Technology is most useful for those who want power. There wil be people that will suffer because of their want for power. I believe that if perpetual motion machine was made (if it's even possible) then world economy would collapse and mayham. There would be nothing that had value. The value of course isen't in matter but the true value is us and everyone else. From what I can see the business and law is privatising and what we are becomes blurred materialisticlly. This invites genetic experiements which can mess up everything. Two mushrooms, one from south africa and one from europe were bread together in south maerica in hopes it would create a super mushroom. It caused blight and caused the famine in Ireland. Moving into geneitcs is a very stupid move. We will do genetically enhance something it will cause a problem somwear else and we will have to genetically mody that to fix the problem before you know it everything is this self monitered system. Why go into genetics when we have a perfectly good system that doesn't need to be monitered as it is.

We have to look with in first see the problems, fix the problems. Only then will the technology be benficial.

I agree with this Mbyte, however.....technology is affording us the opportunity to look within ourselves, and most effectively.

“For me, forgiveness and compassion are always linked: how do we hold people accountable for wrongdoing and yet at the same time remain in touch with their humanity enough to believe in their capacity to be transformed?” ~ Bell Hooks

The problem for me is that I can't see any reason for a cover-up. Why would governments go to so much trouble to cover these things up? It doesn't seem like the gain would be worth the effort.

On the larry king show they talked about how Two CIA groups had some ssort of shoot out against each other because they weren't informened that the CIA would be there. I didn't take too much atention to it so you'll have to look it up yourself but you get the gist.

Would not be a big surprise stuff like this happens all the time. But yet, you think the government is organized enough to control the billions of people that live on earth, and keep a secret about beings being here from some other planet for 60 years? Strange.

Do you know what is in AREA 51? I don't see it in the news papers. I also never read how there are massive rooms under ground wear they test nuclear bombs. This celeb knowing all crap is for the "sheep", you camparision are in two diffrent worlds of their own.

No I do not know what is in Area 51, and I bet you do not know what is in my underwear draw but some how I do not think there is a huge space cargo ship in either of the two places. Yes I HAVE seen documentaries on under grown nuclear testing and also how they nuked some island I do not know how many times. I have also seen how in World War 2 there was a TOP SECRET plan to tie incendiary devices on bats and drop them on Japan. We are talking about keeping something under wraps for 60 YEARS! Not yesterday.

The reason I brought up the fact about celebrities and government officials is this. Today every one and there dog has a dig camera. My 6 year old alone has 3. We can get a clear picture of Britney Spears privates when she is getting out of a car with no underwear but yet we can not snap a clear picture of a HUGE interstellar space ship that traveled light years to get here?

Would earth be apart of those inner planets? How can we see the sun then, it should be a spec?

Yes the earth is one of the inner planets. Do you know how incredibly bright the sun is or the fact that or air acts like a big magnified glass? Do some checking on your own it is sort of overwhelming how HUGE space is. People toss around numbers like 4.1 light years and it seems small but trust me on this one, it is FAR FAR AWAY!

A grain of sand can't experience pain and suffering, there's a big diffrance.

OK, let’s forget the grain of sand. An ant, an ant that has lived under the ice box for 2 years. The point is that you would not care and I do not think that beings able to travel from one solar system to another would care about our under developed planet.

That's because of greed. Only wise men understand that greed is pointless. The wise men aren't greedy but then there will be the greedy people to abuse the wise men. Actually i just thought of an intresting point. Our advancement is basically due to survival and greed. So if aliens are more technological you could say they had the problem, maybe they still do.

Yep and if they do still have that problem do you think they will look at us with our pink skin in a better light?

Humans think too much. Greedy or insecure people are the reason for racism and fights between religion. It was said that we would unit if aliens showed themselves. No matter how advanced technology gets it won't fix these problems. The problems lie within ourselves. If we try and tackle this problem with technology then we will only supress and bind our freedom and we will be forced to be robotic.

A-men brother. But it is not just greedy or being insecure. People seem to have a big problem with any thing different than the norm. Next time you hop on an elevator with a bunch of people start singing loudly and watch. Every one will step away from you like you’re a nut case. Is it because there is something wrong with you, or is it just because you’re being different? I think it is getting better, at lest we do not kill people that are different, wait they still do in some places. Darn-it.

I do think robotic would change any thing. From what I see if the robots are different we will find a way to kill them too…

The problem for me is that I can't see any reason for a cover-up. Why would governments go to so much trouble to cover these things up? It doesn't seem like the gain would be worth the effort.

I would say that proof of intelligent life off this planet, contact with said intelligent life, the possible information exchange on both a military and political scale is just about the biggest prize of all.

If I was in the position of power to make descisions regarding secrecy etc then I wouldn't tell the public - if there's a cover up I can understand why.

OK, let’s forget the grain of sand. An ant, an ant that has lived under the ice box for 2 years. The point is that you would not care and I do not think that beings able to travel from one solar system to another would care about our under developed planet.

I do see how unexciting contacting ants would be but people do study bugs. And there are people who study bugs and travel miles to study them. To find a bug that was frozen in ice that was there for thousands of years is an amazing find.

I love raising these points! There is nothing to say that we are developed or undeveloped. Sceptics would say enviromentalists are anti progress and enviromentalists are trying to progress. How can we develop if we are unaware what we are progressing towards?

I do think robotic would change any thing. From what I see if the robots are different we will find a way to kill them too…

lol

You could think of the earth as north korea. We may think we know so much but the possible fact is that we are highly un aware of what is going on around us. It's possible.

From what I've read japan, france, some country in south amarica, and britian (i think) have said that there are ufo's or have released files about UFOs.

A few people are talking about why would there be a cover up? it's not logicaly at all? Well there are classified UFO documents and some have been released. The fact is that the goverment are covering UFO phenomenon up.

You may say that the reason they are classified is that UFO phenomenon is actually military spacecraft. If it Military space craft then I will just shake my head in shame of the goverment. They would spend time and effort on bull**** technologies and covering them up when they could use it to help to world. We will end up with countries using super technology against each other. If the UFO phenomenon is military space craft I'll find some high up ranking general guy who was in on it and slap him so hard his mother will feel it.

Personally I do think it's alien space craft. Those ancient pictures and historical refrences to UFO's does it for me. I have seen two UFO's myself (I don't consider them alien space craft. They will always remain as what they were the time I saw them which was a triangle and a bright light.) Also that incident in the english military base also connects with me.

To me the evidence is a bit too much. I don't understand why sceptics or scientists don't investigate. Sceptics are great to tell people UFO's are without actually spending time talking to witnesses and studing the information. Some sceptics are very quick to tell people they are deluded and what they was not what they say. I hate this! They play this card too much. They undermine human integrity. Be aware that life itself depends on humans which are seemingly so delusional. They say that the person is not qualified observer... :no: That person is alive and has raised children then they seem pretty qualified to me. Of course people can make mistakes by giving information and proper commonsense can be applied not blatent ignorance.

I have a few incidences wear my siters tells my mother one thing and my mother tells me another and visa versa. I have learnt how her feelings can distort the information suiting it to her insecurites. I have few examples and I try my best to tell something how it is. If I heard something from someone I explain what I heard. Example: the person saying something couldn't remember a part of the story, so then I wouldn't make a part up, I'd explain how he couldn't remember that part my my views in conjuction while listening to the story.

If there's on thing I hate or one things that gets at me is blatents information when passing stories. I have to try my best telling story to ensure it's correct as if was from the source. I remember telling my cousin about chi (which is like bio energy) I told him about how there are stories about levitations and stuff. He told a few people that I told him about making your feet boil with pots of rice so you could fly. At the time he was very ignorant and wasn't listening and he thought it would be funny to tell friends what I was saying. Obviously he didn't listen. This did cross my mind at the time that something like this would happen... and it did. The boiling posts of rice was yin and yang in pictographic form. Hard pot, soft rice, boiling steam lifting up the pot lid. The steam significes chi. When steam is channeled it can move a train.

Edited by Mbyte

Rather an ignorant statement that aliens wouldn't be interested in us. We are a sentient species, we have our unique culture and technologies. Aliens would be most interested in us and they WOULD be curious otherwise they would still be in their equivalent of the stone age.

I do not know the name of the scientist that I heard lecture about this (I can pic him in my mind but for the life of me I can not think of his name, he taught at Columbia University New York and looks like someone from Hawaii and has been on the discovery channel more times than I count) went over the different stages of space travel and technology. I might get this wrong but here I go:

A type 1 has made it to other planets with in the solar system and have bases there.

A type 2 has made it to other solar systems and have bases there.

A type 3 has made it to other galaxies and have bases there.

We right now are a type 0 we have not gotten off earth and set foot on a planet in our solar system. For a type 1 to talk to a type 0 or even a type 3 talking to a type 2 would be the same as modern man talking to an ant. We would have nothing in common and more than likely would not understand each other.

It was real interesting to here him ex-plane the different stages of development and I tend to go with his thinking.

NOW Do not get me wrong! I have never said I do not think that there life on other planets or even that they been here on earth. Just that I have never seen or heard anything to me that proves to me that they have been here and in modern times (last few years) it seems more and more unlikely, do to the information age that we would not have firm proof if they did show up.

I have a friend that says he seen a gnome in a candy machine. Yes I have some strange friends. Do I believe that he saw a gnome? Yes. Do I believe in gnomes and they run around in candy machines? Highly unlikely. How can I believe both? Every one has there own reality. What is real to some may not be real to others and I can except that and keep an open mind. Maybe if more people where like this the world would be a better place.

Rather an ignorant statement that aliens wouldn't be interested in us. We are a sentient species, we have our unique culture and technologies. Aliens would be most interested in us and they WOULD be curious otherwise they would still be in their equivalent of the stone age.

You also have to consider we are talking about beings that have mastered travel at least all most the speed of light. They have technology that we have not even dreamed of yet. They would be past the point of quantum computers and programs that could run every possible scenario at once. We would not be cavemen to them we would be single cell creatures.

It is not ignorant to think that they would not be interested in us. But reckless to think that we would be.

Edited by Wolfen69

As always, forward comes someone with no proof of what he says... If the people working for the government (notice, it's always U.S. gov.) has covered this up for 60 YEARS, surely, there should be at least a dozen people with some actual evidence. How come those who decide to violate this sacred pact not to disclose this information end up being the ones who have no actual proof of this conspiracy. Surely, if one wants to expose this 60 year old cover up, he should at least try to gather some evidence before doing so...

I agree.

One of the problems with "big" and "vast" secrets or conspiracies is the more people who are in on it, the more someone is going to squeel!

The Air Force's stealth program leaked like a sive! Workers took pictures of the prototype planes. Test planes crashed and inspite of massive clean up efforts pieces were still found by the public. Some crash areas were sealed off from the public for years! I read a story some years ago about a worker at Lockheed that was arrested for taking home the stealth fighter planes to show his girlfriend!

So in all this time since Roswell no one has been able to smuggle out copies of photos, recordings or documents? No one has been able to pocket a tiny piece of alien space craft metal or technology? No one has taken a single slide of alien biomatter?

I find that hard to believe. Security can't be that perfect. Nothing government does ever is.

And I agree that even if by some miracle the U.S. gov was able to keep it a total secret surely there have been alien encounters and crashes in other parts of the world such that someone else would have physical evidence already. I don't believe there is a world wide "hit squad" they can get anywhere in a moments notice to clean up and silence wittnesses. :no:

After careful & thorough analysis in reading the OP of Mitchell's claims then doing the same of all the member posts. I've come to the conclusive & decisive decision that without a doubt in my mind whatsoever that i'm still uncertain.

.... I've come to the conclusive & decisive decision that without a doubt in my mind whatsoever that i'm still uncertain.

I hear ya REBEL. :yes: Come sit next to me on the fence, there's plenty of room!

I believe he's telling the truth as he has heard it from many people. so where are these other people ?

the thing is nothing he is saying is first hand. He himself doesn't mention seeing anything - no spars on the moon. no bases. no sightings himself.

Well if nothing else Dr. Mitchell has added fuel and ignited a lot of Forum chatter across the Net! :P

What amazes me is the passion of the posters, both believers and not. I know I,m staying out of this one! ;)

Personally I believe that there has always been life in the universe before man. If the world government actually told the public the truth I believe that we can finally be at global peace. The problem is it will most likely kill our secret war economy. And lets be honest if old white men lose control of that, old white men won't have the power anymore. Figure thats why Obama is so scary. lol. Truth of the matter, nobody becomes friends without a purpose so I wonder what the global governments r giving them so they don't enslave us. I mean come on we're not stupid if astronauts r starting to reveal things what the hell are the people in power waiting for.

Personally I believe that there has always been life in the universe before man. If the world government actually told the public the truth I believe that we can finally be at global peace. The problem is it will most likely kill our secret war economy. And lets be honest if old white men lose control of that, old white men won't have the power anymore. Figure thats why Obama is so scary. lol. Truth of the matter, nobody becomes friends without a purpose so I wonder what the global governments r giving them so they don't enslave us. I mean come on we're not stupid if astronauts r starting to reveal things what the hell are the people in power waiting for.

If these aliens aren't getting anything from this arrangment. Then why are they hiding from the public. Don't they have the spaceships, can't they land them anywhere they want to. Like central park.