Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Edgar Mitchell claims alien contact cover-up

UM-Bot

For me, I feel that this still goes back to the whole "mankind isn't ready for this yet" thing.

Sure, the human race has come a long way. Sure, amongst ourselves we can all agree that we individually would be able to handle the confirmed existence of extraterrestrial life. But can the whole planet handle it? There are over 6 billion of us and growing. But how many of us are in poverty? How many of us have some incurable disease that's slowly killing us? If intelligent life outside of this world revealed itself, they would basically be forced to solve all of the worlds problems or else risk watching mankind destroy itself. People would realize the technology these aliens possess could save their dying child, could feed their starving families. It would be mankind's instant utopia, but it would also be a push from an outside force, something we're not ready for that could cause us to trip and fall.

Just an opinion.

I respect him, as anyone who walked on the moon, but his statements are lacking. Long ago I decided that no arguments from authority were good enough for me. If something doesn't have evidence, it's not worth belief. If you look at Mitchell's records, he's promoted pseudo-science ever since his space travel days. I think it's worth echoing something the BA said: going to the moon doesn't give you a ticket to bypass reality.

I remain unconvinced, and all the so-called evidence for aliens doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

• 2 months later...
OK here is what I have a problem with:

1. The government is covering it up. Last I checked the government is huge with different departments. You can not tell me from the President all the way down to your local mail carrier is in on this. You might say it is some secret agency that no one knows the name of is in charge of this, but I am sure in 60 years someone from somewhere would report the name of the department. Shoot we hear about black ops and other so called “secret departments”.

2. It is a secret! What? We live in a day and age that government officials and movie stars can not spit on the side walk with out it being posted all over the internet and the papers. How many times have we heard about hookers and people in office? If they can not keep that a secret what makes you think that they can hide alien visitors.

3. How big space is. It is FREEKING HUGE!!!! It is every thing we can do today just to toss a few small peaces of junk in to space. Shoot look what it is taking just to get back to the moon. There is a 3D graphic program that I tinker with some times called Maya one day I decided to have some fun and make all the planets in or Solar System to scale in to the program. So I went online got all the sizes and pumped them in to the program. When I got to the sun earth was just a speck compared to the sun.

linked-image

Did not make this but you can see what I am talking about.

Then I decided to place them in the correct orbits. Well lets just say there was no way I could even render an image of it because if I zoomed out where just the inner planets would be on the screen sun was not even a speck. We all grow up with the little models of the solar system that are so out of scale it is not funny that we get the idea that every thing out there is not that far off.

Let’s just say there was a nice warm earth like planet where Jupiter, 369 million miles at its closets point from us. That is right in our back yard so to say. In order for those aliens to come flying around like they say UFO’s do from even that distance they would be so technology advanced than us we would be like ants to them. Not to say anything about our nearest solar system.

By the way that is Proxima centuari 4.3 light years.

4. They are interested in us. Living in New York would you decided to take off and go 408 Main St in Kyapcha Dzong, Bhutan just see one grain of sand that is under there ice box for 2years or even care about it. I don’t think so. There is much more interesting things to see out there. You can not convince me that a race of interstellar space beings would travel light years just to see the grain of sand that we live on.

5. Their friendly. Just look at our past every time one group of people that have more technology go find another group of people, what do they do? Plant there flag and kill the natives. Sure it has gotten better in this day and age but that is because you might p*** off a bigger country that had there eye on that land. Yes we do send food to starving kids in poor places, but if they had something we want you could be sure we would go hop in our pickup trucks and go kill them. Just read the news and you can all ready see that.

5. We would accept them. Man kind can not get over simple things like skin color, religion or even male and female. So how do you think we would react to big eye, big head walking sticks from another planet? Even if they could wipe us out in a sec, do you think that would stop someone from shooting at them? Can any one say Custards Last Stand? If they knew this I do not think they would even come close to our solar system for the same reason that you do not swat a hornet’s nest with a stick.

Do not flame me just my two bits…

Two thumbs up...

Snip<

Agree

Respectfully disagree. Although technology can certainly be a double-edged sword, advancements in technology will give us a better understanding of human nature.

As this happens, I believe we will become less judgemental and more compassionate. It's happening now! :tu:

To some advancement in technology gives a better understanding of human nature, to most it either brings laziness and to the rest it gives the power to take advantage of the lazy ones.

I find it very strange they all spill the beans when they get old and no longer feel that what they might tell is threatning to any goverment. The young ones keep it under the hat and live a normal life but once old they leave this old world saying it was all true.

Would you spill the beans when you got old? Would you look at this as a last ditch effort to sell a book? Maybe go out ringging the money bell? Cha Ching!

Well this guy has been around a long time and he has beat around the bush about what he knew for years now. He tested the waters and he is still with us no one knocked him off. He has my vote on what he says just because of who he is and what he has done in his life.

Its about time now the goverments all need to step up and back up his claims and produce some answers. Might be 100 years from now before we see that. Who knows the way people p*** each other off lets just hope its not when some form of goverment brings them down upon us in a unfriendly manner. Like cheat them out of a cow :)

Claims by Mitchell started in 1973 at the institute for noetic science... the fact they are more public now doe not mean he had waited to be old... the man had a agenda then and he still does now.

• 3 weeks later...
Claims by Mitchell started in 1973 at the institute for noetic science... the fact they are more public now doe not mean he had waited to be old... the man had a agenda then and he still does now.

http://www.realufos.net/2008/07/nasas-resp...tchell-ufo.html

Yes to finally help the Agencies involved in the coverup to come clean...

Even the Vatican is owning up to the fact that Extra Terrestrials 'may' exist... that their previous contact may very likely have been covered up in Biblical stories....as angels etc.

http://www.newswithviews.com/Horn/thomas12.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7399661.stm

VATICAN SPOKESMAN BALDUCCI SAYS "ALIENS ARE REAL".

http://video.google.com.au/videosearch?hl=...a=N&tab=wv#

http://www.mt.net/~watcher/ufos.html

On baptizing extraterrestrials

http://www.beliefnet.com/News/Science-Reli...errestrial.aspx

Edited by crystal sage

• 3 years later...

Also, and this is off the subject, but I have a real problem listening to opinions of people that have the spelling and grammar skills of an 8 year old. I understand typos and mistakes, but come on.

Grate instead of great? Piece instead of peace? Just my humble opinion.

LOL Don't confuse grammar with intellect. I know I am horrible at spelling, then eng has all ways *always* confused me. I before E exp after C and on Monday and Wednesdays…

Then once more, I am very dyslexic to *too*, if you have ever notice *noticed* that I do not use the REPLY button, it is because I cut and past every thing *everything* in to *into* word first. Hay *Hey,* I might get the wrong word but at least it is spelled right. With this and being at work and *With this, being at work, and *spending only 5 sec to type out a post, sometimes it is a wonder that it is readable at all.

grin2.gif

Should I then, correct your mistakes? Sorry, I decided you would get the hint before I finished, so I didn't correct your entire post, as it would've taken me too long.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your grammar is horrible, so please don't try to correct other people's unless you yourself can utilize proper protocol.

Thank you,

**P.S.** Not sure why this thread was on the main page... total "necro-post".... Sorry.

Edited by Resonance

I've read a book by Edgar Mitchell, and enjoyed it very much. He is an honest man.

• 2 weeks later...

ufo guy

What makes you so sure that they are not here to kill us? With their advanced tech they could play us like a fiddle and we wouldn't even know we were being played. :alien:

Edited by AI Construct

On one hand, I love hearing this type of stuff. On the other hand, it frustrates the hell out of me. I respect this man and I want to believe him, but I've grown tired of people with inside knowledge coming forward and making these statements, because it gets us nowhere. I'm just impatient. If this is as real as I think it is, I want proof, I want contact, I want an explanation from these people as to why the government is covering all of this up. I mean, if alien beings truly are visiting our planet, it could be the most monumental event in the history of humankind. Establishing official, acknowledged contact with another race of beings would be a great adventure for the entire world. Not a single moment in our lives would ever be the same. We would all be taking part in something beyond our wildest dreams. It's no longer enough for me to read that some guy on the inside thinks he knows the truth. I don't want to be told, I want to be shown.

And, short of the aliens explaining that THEY ARE god...it would destroy the basis of faith and create in us a much more savage race of people I believe. I know that Atheists believe that people should not require the "threat" of a god to make them behave but the truth is that if billions of humans suddenly lost their moral compass, chaos would ensue for a while. We might survive that but who knows?

I don't know about the concept that finding alien life would negate belief in God. The Catholic Church (for one) has gone on the record saying (something to the effect) that God may very well have created other intelligent life elsewhere. Also, couldn't the faithful of any religion simply look at ETs as potential converts to their religion?

Just last night I saw something on TV claiming that geneticists have discovered what they call the God Gene, which is the one that is somehow involved in the thought that "there is a God".

Time will tell. :yes: