Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama making up his connections

__Kratos__

Obama incorrectly claims membership of Senate committee

(CNN) – Responding to an Israeli reporter’s question Wednesday on his commitment to protect the Jewish state, Barack Obama pointed to a bill “we passed” in the U.S. Senate Banking Committee that tightens sanctions and authorizes divestment from Iran. “My committee,” he called it.

Except that he isn’t a member of the Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs.

“Just this past week, we passed out of the out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee - which is my committee - a bill to call for divestment from Iran as way of ratcheting up the pressure to ensure that they don’t obtain a nuclear weapon,” Obama said at a press conference in Sderot, Israel.

In a press release from Obama’s Senate office the day the committee passed the Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability and Divestment Act, Obama applauded its passage and pointed to provisions included that he had offered in the Iran Sanctions Enabling Act of 2007.

The Republican National Committee quickly responded Wednesday morning with an e-mail highlighting the gaffe. Obama’s campaign has not yet responded to CNN’s request for clarification of his remark.

UPDATE: An Obama spokesman tells CNN “it was his bill, not his committee,” referring to the Iran Sanctions Enabling Act that the Illinois senator sponsored and introduced in May 2007. The measure was then referred to the Banking Committee, and passed a vote of 19-2 on July 17.

In a meeting with Benjamin Netanyahu Wednesday, Obama told the former Israeli Prime Minister, “I could fall asleep now standing up,” after Netanyahu asked him how his whirlwind trip to the Middle East and Europe is going.

Article here: Link

------------------------------------------------------

Oh noes! He misspoke! He must be publicly whipped now. :lol:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lt_Ripley

• keithisco

• Aztec Warrior

• __Kratos__

yeah a real biggie ! run with that dog !! not the small ones of McCains like not knowing when the surge started or where the boarders of pakistan are.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

yeah a real biggie ! run with that dog !! not the small ones of McCains like not knowing when the surge started or where the boarders of pakistan are.

*cough* That was the joke... You're all upset over McCain's misspeaks but defend Obama's despite the fact both of them do it.

at least that means McCain won't actually invade Pakistan like Obama

don't bet on it.

*cough* That was the joke... You're all upset over McCain's misspeaks but defend Obama's despite the fact both of them do it.

I'm not defending Obama at all ........ just reminding the boat rocks in both directions as to fantasy.

Extract from OP:

Barack Obama pointed to a bill “we passed” in the U.S. Senate Banking Committee

Use of the inclusive or Royal "WE" is actually grammatically correct as he is referring to the Institution or Office of the Committee. So the "Gaffe" is the incorrect interpretation of the word by CNN. He also says "My Committee", again this is correct because it is the committee that oversaw HIS Bill. In other words the committee that considered his bill.

Extract from OP:

Use of the inclusive or Royal "WE" is actually grammatically correct as he is referring to the Institution or Office of the Committee. So the "Gaffe" is the incorrect interpretation of the word by CNN. He also says "My Committee", again this is correct because it is the committee that oversaw HIS Bill. In other words the committee that considered his bill.

Wow, what a stretch. Do you believe what you posted? Does one's nose itch when it grows?

Extract from OP:

While it may be grammatically correct it is FACTUALLY INCORRECT.

It is grammatically and therefore factually correct because he is assigning the subject to the Committee, not himself.

It is grammatically and therefore factually correct because he is assigning the subject to the Committee, not himself.

You have got to be kidding. The royal "we"....come on. is Obama the Pope or a bishop.

A common example is the royal we (Pluralis Majestatis), which is a nosism employed by a person of high office, such as a monarch or pope.

No, what we have here is the "patronizing We"....The patronizing we usually bears a condescending, ironic, praising, or some other flavor, depending on an intonation: "Aren't we looking cute?".

Beyond all that, he is NOT a member of that committee.

You have got to be kidding. The royal "we"....come on. is Obama the Pope or a bishop.

No, what we have here is the "patronizing We"....The patronizing we usually bears a condescending, ironic, praising, or some other flavor, depending on an intonation: "Aren't we looking cute?".

Beyond all that, he is NOT a member of that committee.

Is Obama NOT a person of high office then. Do senators not count? Margaret Thatcher also adopted the inclusive "we" several times. And, he does not have to be member of that committee to use "we" correctly.

Is Obama NOT a person of high office then. Do senators not count? Margaret Thatcher also adopted the inclusive "we" several times. And, he does not have to be member of that committee to use "we" correctly.

Keith, reread his quote because it not just about the patronizing "we"...he calls it "My committee".

“Just this past week, we passed out of the out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee - which is my committee - a bill to call for divestment from Iran as way of ratcheting up the pressure to ensure that they don’t obtain a nuclear weapon,” Obama said at a press conference in Sderot, Israel.

Beyond his exaggerations.....you would have thought the Liberals would have learned by now that SANCTIONS don't work.

yes . factually incorrect. now where to begin with McCains' factually incorrect statements ? over how long ? not enough time for me to gather all that up now.

plenty of people use the all inclusive we all the time. when we speak about our places of work. " we here at ....." heck here on the boards refer to ourselves as a group as 'We "

how many say "my' UM ? well it isn't a my. none of us regs own it. 'My' congress 'our' congress . My company that I'm invested with . My board of directors have met. yet all I am in an investor.

your right on the use of we of course.

it's cons trying to find a bone where none exist.

Keith, reread his quote because it not just about the patronizing "we"...he calls it "My committee".

Beyond his exaggerations.....you would have thought the Liberals would have learned by now that SANCTIONS don't work.

Aztec....

I only addressed the grammatical correctness of the statement made., this appeared to be an isue with the US folk. The rest is not my concern except in a dedicated post