Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists expose mystery behind northern lights

UM-Bot

user posted image rScientists have exposed some of the mystery behind the northern lights. On Thursday, NASA released findings that indicate magnetic explosions about one-third of the way to the moon cause the northern lights, or aurora borealis, to burst in spectacular shapes and colors, and dance across the sky.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: AP

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. sasquatch

• InnerSpace

• UM-Bot

• conspiracybeliever

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the nothern lights were just gasses from the sun escaping into the Earths atmosphere? Not completely sure.

I've never had a chance to actually see these auroras and I really want to.

But I have a question for anyone who has seen one of these:

On TV, these look like magnificent arrays of changing colors swirling around in the night sky. It seems almost unbelievable that nature could produce such a beauty.

Is that how it really looks when you are there?

I mean do they really swirl around like that before your eyes?

Do those colors change change very slowly or quickly?

Are those footages just fast-forwarded to make them look more marvelous and beautiful?

I'm greatly curious. Any useful input is appreciated!

Edited by Mr. sasquatch

On TV, these look like magnificent arrays of changing colors swirling around in the night sky. It seems almost unbelievable that nature could produce such a beauty.

Are those footages just fast-forwarded to make them look more marvelous and beautiful?

Filmed in real time: "It is rare to see vivid colors in these with the naked eye. When they are vivid to the naked eye, the most common color is green. Most of the time they appear white to the human eye, taking a photo would show them as bright green or red. This was filmed in color, but set on night shot."

NASA: The Mystery of the Aurora

I'm not an expert in this area...I just do research on their effects on humans. Hope this helps some. :)

Edited by Inner Space

A good find, the most beautifull phenomena on earth, besides maybe birth.

Filmed in real time: "It is rare to see vivid colors in these with the naked eye. When they are vivid to the naked eye, the most common color is green. Most of the time they appear white to the human eye, taking a photo would show them as bright green or red. This was filmed in color, but set on night shot."

I'm not an expert in this area...I just do research on their effects on humans. Hope this helps some. :)

Is there some simple explanation why they appear white to naked eye while they're brightly coloured in photos?

And could you tell us what have you found, how they affect humans?

THANK YOU! :)

That was most helpful.

However, it did sort of disappoint me a little bit. :unsure: I'm sure you understand.

But now I know what to expect when I travel to those regions where these are common.

So in a way, you actually saved me from disappointment. :tu:

Thanks again.

I've seen them a few times. I think they look like city lights look from a distance. Like you're seeing them over a mountain. But you know there's no city where they are coming from. It's strange.