Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Belly Button' Festival

SoulFire

this just seems kinda weird to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 29 Jul 2008 10:49 AM CDT

Nothing Better Than a Traditional 'Belly Button' Festival

It was belly-up for thousands of people who indulged in a weekend of navel gazing at a festival dedicated to the belly button in central Japan.

Children and adults, many of them sporting painted stomachs, took part at the annual Belly Button Festival in Shibukawa, north of Tokyo, where dancing in the streets is compulsory.

"The belly button is traditionally believed to be located in the middle of the body and the most important part. Our town, Shibukawa, is also called the belly button of Japan, and that is how this festival began," said festival organizer Kazuo Yamada.

The festival is based on a traditional Japanese form of entertainment where revelers paint a face on their torsos and stomachs and pretend it is a head.

A kimono is then wrapped around the waist and the person's real head is hidden by a large cloth hat. The belly button is traditionally painted into a mouth.

These days, modern motifs and Japanese anime designs have crept in to the festival, which city officials said is all about having fun. The only thing festival-goers take seriously is dancing: participants sashayed through the streets of Shibukawa for over two hours in the sweltering heat.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SoulFire

• TheLivingDead

• goalienan

• BiffSplitkins

Top Posters In This Topic

:D my fiance calls me Billy Button :D

:D my fiance calls me Billy Button :D

:lol: damn, i would keep that a secret bro :P . just kiddin' - there is alot worse she could call you.

That is disgusting! I hate belly buttons, they look so gross to me! :blink:

That is disgusting! I hate belly buttons, they look so gross to me! :blink:

I think feet are worse :hmm:

I think feet are worse :hmm:

LOL I can live with feet, but belly buttons, there is no telling what is in there! Its like a bottomless pit that goes into your tummy!

LOL I can live with feet, but belly buttons, there is no telling what is in there! Its like a bottomless pit that goes into your tummy!

:lol: Sort of like a lint catcher...

and they are usually kinda stinky. what's up with that? ? ?

I know! I didn't want to say that earlier because I thought everyone would be like 'why are you going around sniffing people's belly button?'! I'm glad someone else understands. :)

*covers belly button*

I don't think I would be ok running around with my tummy on display 0.o But I have to admit, the painted stomachs look kinda cool >.>

:lol: Sort of like a lint catcher...

Maybe the promoters are going to start a new style of clothing with lint lol......

:lol: damn, i would keep that a secret bro :P . just kiddin' - there is alot worse she could call you.

She calls me the 'worse' things too. :D

Bellybuttons have always been interesting to me. Think about it, our bellybuttons were once the main source of life for us all at one time.

Ahem...

Try gently rubbing a bit of soap in there every time you bathe...it's a crevice, and crevices get soap. :tu:

Ahem...

Try gently rubbing a bit of soap in there every time you bathe...it's a crevice, and crevices get soap. :tu:

ahem . . . i wasn't talking about mine. some people have good hygeine & some don't.

lol i can understand the kids, but the adults.... they do know they arnt kids right?

ahem . . . i wasn't talking about mine. some people have good hygeine & some don't.

:lol:

No insult intended!

:lol: