Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nature's Consciousness

Ashyne

I'm sure you've heard of the Gaia Theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis) where it is said that the Earth has a life force of its own, thus enabling it to sustain such a vast variety of life forms.

I believe, however, that Nature itself is conscious, and not just the Earth itself. Abrahamic Religions such as Christianity and Islam are centered on a Creator of all existence, reality and the multiverses. It is said in religious scriptures that 'Upon death, the children of God will ascend to heaven and join in blissful union with their Creator."

If we look at this from the theory of a Conscious Nature, we can see how Nature is God, an omnipresent force inherent in every atom, inanimate and inanimate object. We know that when we die, our bodies break down, decompose into their basic components to be used again by Nature for other purposes. 'Upon death, the children (life forms) of God (Nature) will ascend (break down) to heaven (the Sea of Consciousness) and join in blissful union with their Creator (Nature).'

The mind is like flowing water, taking the shape of the body (the glass) it is poured into. Likewise, all living creatures share the same life force, that spark of Consciousness. What we are now is the result of our physical bodies. Personalities are shaped not by the mind, but by the memories and experiences painted onto the canvas of the mind. Erase all memory of experience and all living creatures are Tabula Rasa, a blank slate.

What is Consciousness? If we scan an entire human brain, map its neural connections and create a 3D projection of a human brain in a computer, is the newly constructed brain, and mind, that of the originally scanned person? Definitely not. What we will have is another person, who shares the same memories and experiences as the original person. This new mind will claim to be the original.

Why is this so? What is this mystery concerning Consciousness, the result of Self-Awareness?

Remember that I mentioned about Nature as an intelligent entity existing as the energy that permeates all of existence. The theory of Intelligent Design (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design) states that the organization of and complexity of the Universe is too incredible for it to have occured naturally through accident.

But, if Nature is conscious, then it could have shaped the Universe it way it is now. Could living creatures, then, be the very essence of a Conscious Nature manifesting itself in the brains of life forms?

Are we Nature's Consciousness incarnated in living bodies? If so, we are not mere humans, but Nature itself, intelligent, resourceful, shaping our own evolution through technology, and eventually considering the fate of Nature and Existence itself.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashyne

• Rosewin

• h3x4g0n

• John from Lowell

Top Posters In This Topic

A good point of view there.

Upon death, the children of God will ascend to heaven and join in blissful union with their Creator

I think it could be more then only the breakdown of the physical matter that gets back to its origin.

As for the physical, the Mental/Soul/Mind/Consciousness could be joining the nature itself in consciousness merging with it or attaching to it (like these little fishes that attach to sharks and whales) until the Consciousness wants to attach to another entity/lifeform and begin another journey in a physical vehicle/body to gain more knowledge.

What is Consciousness?

In my oppinion it is the ability to do things not only by instinct or physical desire but also by ones own free will and by being aware that one is alive or actually IS.

A computer for example only does what he is programmed to do, thus has no consciousness.

Many biological lifeforms act the same way (it seems so, eg a bug) as if it just does things that are vital for survival of the individual itself and his entire kind and nothing else.

Then we have the Lifeforms that do things for joy like the Human, we think about our actions and what could be the result of them.

We question things and use our gained knowledge to ease our way.

I think thats what we could call "counsciousness".

Edited by h3x4g0n

I think it could be more then only the breakdown of the physical matter that gets back to its origin.

As for the physical, the Mental/Soul/Mind/Consciousness could be joining the nature itself in consciousness merging with it or attaching to it (like these little fishes that attach to sharks and whales) until the Consciousness wants to attach to another entity/lifeform and begin another journey in a physical vehicle/body to gain more knowledge.

yes thats what i meant by my first post.

In my oppinion it is the ability to do things not only by instinct or physical desire but also by ones own free will and by being aware that one is alive or actually IS.

A computer for example only does what he is programmed to do, thus has no consciousness.

Many biological lifeforms act the same way (it seems so, eg a bug) as if it just does things that are vital for survival of the individual itself and his entire kind and nothing else.

Then we have the Lifeforms that do things for joy like the Human, we think about our actions and what could be the result of them.

We question things and use our gained knowledge to ease our way.

I think thats what we could call "counsciousness".

think about it. what if the 'life forms that do things for joy, like the human' are just a very advanced piece of programming and what we call our free will is simply more allowance in the area of thought? everything we do is related to survival, so free will doesnt seem to exist. you say you play football for fun, but fun allows a living organism to better survive the harsh reality of its existence, so fun could be an extension of our survival instincts.

Edited by Ashiene

so fun could be an extension of our survival instincts.

hmmm thats an interessting point of view mate, if i think about it, it becomes a plausible thing but then the question comes to my mind: if fun is just an extension then everything could be and no actual free will would be there at all o.O

Now im confused i have to think this through first lol

i really really think nature is a conscious, intelligent force. i mean, how else could a singularity from which all matter and anti-matter formed suddenly create such beautiful and incredibly complex structures in existence, like living creatures, stars, planets, complex molecules, etc...

the laws of physics must be nature's thought processes, evolution must be nature's hands, shaping living beings...how could living creatures evolve and adapt and even come into existence from the combination of trillions of atoms, by ACCIDENT??

surely, an intelligent force must be guiding the goings-on in the universe (or universes). we can then view all of existence as a single organism.

If the mind is like water and we are the glass then one day I hope to swim in a sea of consciousness and then drink some of it as well.

How do you explain emotions? What are they? I believe it is the soul. I do believe though that our consciousness is our spirit and that it is more than just the mind but every atom of our existence. Sure if we lose a body part we do not lose a bit of our consciousness but if someone receives one of our organs or other body parts they will receive a bit of us. I also believe we are what we eat. So to eat animals farmed in miserable conditions instead of hunting living free animals that we also get their emotions. Thus some pray for their food to purify it.

If we are nature as suggested in the OP then why do we destroy it?

Edited by Rosewin

I also believe we are what we eat. So to eat animals farmed in miserable conditions instead of hunting living free animals that we also get their emotions. Thus some pray for their food to purify it.

I do not believe this is so. Emotions and memories are the result of neural connections in the brains and the firings of neurons. The mind/soul/consciousness is just energy. It is a blank canvas and cannot carry memories with it after the physical body has died, because for memories and emotions to exist, a physical body is required as the hardware. The mind is only the software.

If we are nature as suggested in the OP then why do we destroy it?

Interesting question, but perhaps we do not know we are Nature. Research has found a God Gene in humans that may explain why people from all over the world who have had no contact with each other (long ago in the past) believed in religion and a God (or gods). Maybe, this God Gene was deliberately given to us by Nature to act as a constant reminder of our origins (as Nature itself).

If we look at Abrahamic religions like Islam and Christianity, we can see how both of those religions have a God and a Messenger. In Islam the messenger is the Prophet and in Christianity it is Jesus Christ.

Also note that in none of the 2 religions have there ever been any depictions of the God, only the messengers. Why do you think so? Since Nature is God, and Nature is the energy that permeates all of existence, it has no form and thus cannot appear to people. So Nature created Nature Spirits (or likewise) to be the messengers to interact with humans, appearing in human forms so the people will be better able to relate with them.

I tend to think that everything is energy. There are aspects of that energy that has a unique energy signature. Each person is like this. However what you see as a human being is only those aspects of that being that has slowed down part of its energy enough to make it physically present. The rest of that person is unseen.

I would define God as the collective energy for all that is. An aspect of every person understands how Godly we are. The conscious self is designed to view its self as seperate from all that is. This experience is desireable or we would not be doing it. Awareness can be defined as the ability to integrate an expanded understand of the human experience with the emotional reality it presents.

John

I am really enjoying the concept of this thread and keep thinking about it. I also agree with your view John but then again I usually do. But it makes much sense that energy slows down enough, the molecules themselves, so we can manifest in the physical. The Gaea Theory has been around and that we are all connected but my understanding is increasing in seeing how this is true. In the Christian view the Spirit works through all believers and even though they are separate they are still one body united as the bride of Christ. It mentions that someone might be a foot and another an eye but the eye will never tell the foot you are not needed for everything works together. Not that this is literal but a metaphor since the collective body of humanity has no feet or eyes to speak of but we all play our part and yet somehow all are part of the same thing. I just posted on another thread that the code for our evolution and our consciousness is not just isolated within us but in the living world universe. We live.