Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Phantom Water Drops

NoxMyna

I don't know if anyone can tell me what's going on here, or offer some suggestions, but I figure this is the best place for something like this.

Four times I have been dripped on in my home when there is no discernible water source.

The first time I was walking through our bathroom (which has two doors) and a large drop of water landed on my forearm. Since I was in the middle of the bathroom, right between the sink and the tub, I checked both to see if they were running or wet. Both had not been used in hours and were bone dry. Next I climbed on the counter to check out the ceiling above me to see if maybe it was leaking, no such luck; I was left thoroughly confused. I ran out of the bathroom to get my mum and tell her what had happened, she checked out the ceiling as I stood back and watched. While she was feeling around for a wet spot another drop hit me on the same place on the forearm. This time I was standing near the toilette, which was not running, and the ceiling above me did not appear to be wet, either (this was confirmed moments later when we dragged a small latter into the room to check the area).

At some point maybe a month later I was once again standing in the bathroom and doing my makeup when a large drop of water hit me on the shoulder. Once again, neither the sink nor the shower had been running and the ceiling appeared dry. I shrugged it off as something that couldn't be explained, same as last time.

The latest occurrence has inspired me to share these happenings: several minutes ago, while sitting on the living room couch with the laptop on my lap, I felt something run down the back of my arm. Thinking a bug had crawled on me, I reached to brush it off, and, to my surprise, it was wet. The roof is a little high to check for dampness, but it's never leaked there before.

I'd like to mention that all the water drops were a decent size and only occurred once in each location (never the same exact spot twice). If there were a leak big enough to drop that kind of water, I'm pretty sure it would drip more than once/would be visible.

Sorry for the long read.

Any suggestions? I'm a little freaked out by all this.

• Like 1

Hello, NoxMyna.

If I understand your report, you say that you felt an isolated water droplet on each occasion, rather than seeing it, hearing it, or seeing its aftermath, such as a wet spot on the fabric of your clothing.

If so, a false sensation of a "drop of water" is a common misfire of the perceptual apparatus. I have often wondered why there are so few reports about it.

Hello, NoxMyna.

If I understand your report, you say that you felt an isolated water droplet on each occasion, rather than seeing it, hearing it, or seeing its aftermath, such as a wet spot on the fabric of your clothing.

If so, a false sensation of a "drop of water" is a common misfire of the perceptual apparatus. I have often wondered why there are so few reports about it.

They said their arm was wet.

"The latest occurrence has inspired me to share these happenings: several minutes ago, while sitting on the living room couch with the laptop on my lap, I felt something run down the back of my arm. Thinking a bug had crawled on me, I reached to brush it off, and, to my surprise, it was wet. The roof is a little high to check for dampness, but it's never leaked there before."

I've felt cold water drops on my legs and arms, but only one at a time and there is no sign of water on me. I've often wondered what causes this feeling.

Oh my God, it's not just me! I feel water dropping on me all the time. Especially when I'm driving in rain I feel it hit me. I always look around to make sure my windows or my windshield isn't leaking, but they never are. It's so weird. I've asked other people, but they always make a joke or insinuate I'm crazy. It's never actual water though, like the OP says. It just FEELS that way, but there's never anything there.

it has happened to me but much larger doses. i live in a basement apartment and theis huge amount of water started coming through my ceiling breaking the tiles. the spot it happened in had no water pipes around it and no bathrooms or kitchens above it. it happened twice.

I would first get a plumber in just to completely rule out a plumbing issue. Sometimes finding the source of a leak is more complicated than it seems. Once that is ruled out, then it might be a good idea to research the history on the land/house, and see what you come up with. Good luck!

They said their arm was wet.

Thank you, Madeline. Even in the most recent incident, which you quoted, it remains unclear to me, doubtless on account of my own obtuseness, on what basis the poster corroborated that the spot was in fact wet.

So, I asked.

My teachers used to swear that there was no such thing as a stupid question. Perhaps I have now proved them wrong :) .

maybe you have a tendency to drool a lot :lol:

(sorry, that's all I had)

Edited by Prawus

Hi.

For a while after we moved into our house, we (my wife and myself) were seeing a drip of water fall past the front of the wall mounted TV in the kitchen. I was a bit worried as electrics and water don't mix, but there was never any water on the floor and the ceiling was always bone dry.

Funny thing was it only ever happened in November of each year - it occured for about 5 years or so.

We also had other anomalies happening at the time(and still occuring), as I have mentioned before, such as floating lights coming through the back door (which is about 5 feet from the location of the drips).

Barron

I would also check vents. Often condensation forms in a vent, and will get blown out. Happened to me. I was afraid I had a leak somewhere.

Interesting though. Also, not the first time I've heard of this.

To: eight bits

The latest occurrence has inspired me to share these happenings: several minutes ago, while sitting on the living room couch with the laptop on my lap, I felt something run down the back of my arm. Thinking a bug had crawled on me, I reached to brush it off, and, to my surprise, it was wet.

I'd like to mention that all the water drops were a decent size and only occurred once in each location (never the same exact spot twice). If there were a leak big enough to drop that kind of water, I'm pretty sure it would drip more than once/would be visible.

tee-hee :alien:

We seem to be on different wave lengths.

NoxMyna said she felt it and saw it, I said I just felt it, I've never seen any cold water on me.

Whatever is happening to us, it's {{{scary}}} and I thought it was nerve endings, but maybe it's something we can't understand :)

Just a thought:

Could 'sensation' of outer extremity on skin be inner sign possible of

nerve endings / brain signals mis-firing?

Ask a Dr.'s opinion/ advice.

Madeline, we can't go on meeting like this :) .

The OP did not say that she saw the most recent drop. She says she can estimate the size of each of the drops..We can estimate the size of water drops by touch alone.

On the most recent occasion, she says that something which she felt moving, but which she did not at first identify as water, "was wet" when she investigated further ("I reached to brush it off..."). She doesn't say that she saw anything. Maybe it felt wet, when it hadn't before.

Anyway, we all seem to be in agreement that there is such a thing as feeling a water drop that isn't there. About your report, I had no questions, and our experiences of this sound similar.

Madeline, we can't go on meeting like this :) .

The OP did not say that she saw the most recent drop. She says she can estimate the size of each of the drops..We can estimate the size of water drops by touch alone.

On the most recent occasion, she says that something which she felt moving, but which she did not at first identify as water, "was wet" when she investigated further ("I reached to brush it off..."). She doesn't say that she saw anything. Maybe it felt wet, when it hadn't before.

Anyway, we all seem to be in agreement that there is such a thing as feeling a water drop that isn't there. About your report, I had no questions, and our experiences of this sound similar.

Honestly this only used to happen to me when I was on ACID years ago...sorry:)

Just a thought:

Could 'sensation' of outer extremity on skin be inner sign possible of

nerve endings / brain signals mis-firing?

Ask a Dr.'s opinion/ advice.

Well I can vouch for that, because when I badly sprained my foot/ankle, it was very painful and swollen and at times it felt like someone was sprinkling icy cold water on top of my foot, and that was caused by the nerve endings. :yes:

Honestly this only used to happen to me when I was on ACID years ago...sorry:)

Nothin' to be sorry about, J... I've never taken hallucinogens, but I've had episodes of this all my life, even as a child.

The first time I heard about it from anybody else, when I was a child, it was some crackpot who said it was an attack by an evil spirit. The BS detectors went off, but dude knew what I was talking about, so I knew it wasn't just me who had this experience.

I also figured I could afford to be brave, because if a drop of water was all this "evil spirit" could come up with - and it couldn't even come up with the water - then it must be a real wuss.

it felt like someone was sprinkling icy cold water on top of my foot, and that was caused by the nerve endings.

This is different, though. There's no injury associated with it, and it's just one drop.

Oh my God, it's not just me! I feel water dropping on me all the time. Especially when I'm driving in rain I feel it hit me. I always look around to make sure my windows or my windshield isn't leaking, but they never are. It's so weird. I've asked other people, but they always make a joke or insinuate I'm crazy. It's never actual water though, like the OP says. It just FEELS that way, but there's never anything there.

I often have the same thing happen when driving in the rain. It usually feels like water hitting the backs of my arms and hands and only happens when I am wearing short sleeves!

Every time I check the air vents as well as the windows and sunroof to see if its getting through and they are always secure!

It doesnt feel like large drops though, just as if a single droplet from a fine mist has landed on the skin - sometimes only a couple of seconds apart, other times several minutes can go by without it happening - however it never happens with sunny weather or when its foggy/cold/snowing only during rain!

by the way this has happened in several cars I have owned over the years, but not all of them - very Odd!

Edited by glyndowers heir

I often have the same thing happen when driving in the rain. It usually feels like water hitting the backs of my arms and hands and only happens when I am wearing short sleeves!

Every time I check the air vents as well as the windows and sunroof to see if its getting through and they are always secure!

It doesnt feel like large drops though, just as if a single droplet from a fine mist has landed on the skin - sometimes only a couple of seconds apart, other times several minutes can go by without it happening - however it never happens with sunny weather or when its foggy/cold/snowing only during rain!

by the way this has happened in several cars I have owned over the years, but not all of them - very Odd!

I wonder if that's psychosomatic. Is that the right word? You see rain, you expect to get wet, subconsciously you make yourself feel a drop? I know it is possible to trick the brain into making the body respond to perceived stimulus. Interesting idea.

There seems to be some slight confusion as to the nature of the water droplets that have fallen on my person; allow me to clarify:

They were not 'sensations'; they were physical droplets of water. They were wet and cold and, yes, I could see them (my mother could see them as well). I even took the liberty of tasting one (it didn't taste like anything).

I'm also going to rule out plumbing problems simply because I have never found water on the walls or ceilings around me, not was there any water leaking around any faucets in my immediate area. I'm a firm believer in doing all you can to check for answers before you jump to conclusions, and as of yet I have no answers, nor do I have any conclusions to jump to.

And finally, no, I have never taken acid. Haha.

Hope that clears things up for you guys! Keep the ideas coming :)

Hi.

For a while after we moved into our house, we (my wife and myself) were seeing a drip of water fall past the front of the wall mounted TV in the kitchen. I was a bit worried as electrics and water don't mix, but there was never any water on the floor and the ceiling was always bone dry.

Funny thing was it only ever happened in November of each year - it occured for about 5 years or so.

We also had other anomalies happening at the time(and still occuring), as I have mentioned before, such as floating lights coming through the back door (which is about 5 feet from the location of the drips).

Barron

Actually, that's quite interesting! Seeing the water fall but finding no trace of its landing nor its origin. How much water would you say there was? And was it frequent? It's too bad your water never sticks around to be discovered on the floor, otherwise our situations would be much more similar; though the fact that it only occurred in November adds some other significance to the happenings, as does the apparition of lights in your window. If I were you, I'd see about digging up some documents about your home. I might even take my own advice, there, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to procure those kind of documents about my house at my age :P I'd have to get them through my mum and she'd never get around to it...

I stayed up for 80 hours as an experiment using stimulants. By the third day I felt phantom water droplets and true enough they were there sometimes and others not. I also felt what I thought were bugs. I knew all along, after checking, it was the mind. It is psychosomatic. Now that I think about it I have also felt the phantom water droplets before this on normal days. It is the mind and if you can see the droplets then most likely it is a single sweat drop forming because of the psychosomatic experience thus making it into a physical experience. The mind is powerful.

Evil spirits? They have better things to do. But if they come they will mess with your emotions and thoughts long before they are given enough power to manifest physical symptoms which will most likely be scratches and slaps.

Thank you for clarifying your report, NoxMyna. Thank you also for the opportunity to discuss phantom water drops. That was fun.

However, since your report is now definitely about physical water drops, then you need to call in someone with expertise in finding small water leaks, condensation spots, and infiltrations. A plumber has been suggested. Other building tradespeople may also serve.

It is unsurprising that you were unable to find the source unassisted. If it is a leaky roof, for instance, then you have remarked on the difficulty of thoroughly searching your ceiling. So, you need to find somebody who can perform the required search, and who has the right tools.

This deserves prompt action, since damage has already been done to your property, and is likely to get worse. It will cost you some money, but inaction, or action based on far-fetched causal conjectures, will likely cost you even more.

Water is relentless. There is no mystery whatsoever about its appearance in dwellings, only about which is the correct diagnosis of your specific situation.

Good luck with it.

Actually, that's quite interesting! Seeing the water fall but finding no trace of its landing nor its origin. How much water would you say there was? And was it frequent? It's too bad your water never sticks around to be discovered on the floor, otherwise our situations would be much more similar; though the fact that it only occurred in November adds some other significance to the happenings, as does the apparition of lights in your window. If I were you, I'd see about digging up some documents about your home. I might even take my own advice, there, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to procure those kind of documents about my house at my age :P I'd have to get them through my mum and she'd never get around to it...

Hi NoxMyna

It was only a couple or three drips we would see at a time, maybe the same a week later. It was worrying enough for me to rip out the bath panels to check for leaks, but nothing :huh:

The light 'orbs' would, and still do occasionaly,enter through the closed back door and head towards the kitchen (where the drips were) about 5 foot off the ground. They would sometimes come in in multiples of 3 - 5 (we dont have such things as fireflies before anyone asks).

The house is an old council house, built in the 1970's, so no real history, and I know all of the previous occupants.

I think the village itself is pretty old, as at the local chapel, a couple of hundred yards down the road (one of the oldest in the county) there were 2 graves found side by side, that were totally covered by by white quartz pebbles from top to toe. one of the county archivists came to look at the graves, and said they were probably from the 17th century.

Who knows what went on here in the past?

Barron

Ps. I'm an engineer by trade and quite capable of finding the source of leaks by myself ta very much.

Edited by Barron

Well I can vouch for that, because when I badly sprained my foot/ankle, it was very painful and swollen and at times it felt like someone was sprinkling icy cold water on top of my foot, and that was caused by the nerve endings. :yes:

I haven't really had a problem with it, I hate to ask the doctors I go to because then they'll start testing something else on me. :o and I have enough Rx's .

As far as acid, never took drugs and don't drink alcohol.

Hi NoxMyna

It was only a couple or three drips we would see at a time, maybe the same a week later. It was worrying enough for me to rip out the bath panels to check for leaks, but nothing :huh:

The light 'orbs' would, and still do occasionaly,enter through the closed back door and head towards the kitchen (where the drips were) about 5 foot off the ground. They would sometimes come in in multiples of 3 - 5 (we dont have such things as fireflies before anyone asks).

The house is an old council house, built in the 1970's, so no real history, and I know all of the previous occupants.

I think the village itself is pretty old, as at the local chapel, a couple of hundred yards down the road (one of the oldest in the county) there were 2 graves found side by side, that were totally covered by by white quartz pebbles from top to toe. one of the county archivists came to look at the graves, and said they were probably from the 17th century.

Who knows what went on here in the past?

Barron

Ps. I'm an engineer by trade and quite capable of finding the source of leaks by myself ta very much.

Oh my. Pictures my friend, pictures! You should try to get some. I'd love to see orbs that are NOT bugs and dust. Sounds very cool. Scary I'm sure, but cool.