Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Karma System - Enable or Disable ?

Saru

The Karma system is basically a feature that allows users to give other users negative or positive "karma" points, effectively giving them a popularity rating. I'm not sure whether this is really a good thing to have switched on or not.

There is a delay to stop people continuously voting for someone over and over again, as well as a block to stop you from voting for yourself. If your unhappy with someone, the idea is that you give them a negative Karma vote, and if you are particularly happy about something that someone has done or said, you can give them a positive karma vote.

Let me know what you think - if in doubt, there's always the option to try it out for a while and then disable it later if people are unhappy with it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• albaqwerty

• SpaceyKC

• Bizarro

:s6 Well why not try it to see how it goes.?

I take it only members can vote for others. I just have a worrying thought that guests could vote and cause probs or havoc :o

CW,

I think only members would be able to vote on the karma system - as long as folk don't take to registering usernames simply to vote for someone. ;D

:sk

The karma thing sounds cool, but it doesn't sound to nice. I'd hate to see someone with bad karma. Then that could start all kinds of problems. It could prove to offend new guests or new members that post "so-so" posts. My vote is leave it off.

Since I also don't like to see bad karma, and I think whenever someone wants to comment on someone else's post, they should just do that. I voted no, leave it off. :s1

as one of the ones most likely to be bad karma'd, i vote no. although it would be fun to dish some bad karma out to a few people...

I agree with KC, if you wish to comment on other's posts, then do so. However the result turns out, I'll go with the flow!

:s04

[blue]I think if you don't like what someone has said/done, then say it to them in a posting. Direct response is much better than anonymous voting.

If I don't like what someone has said, I'll say it. If I do like what someone has said, I say so.

[/blue] :sj

I have voted to try It for a couple of months. Allthough I like the Idea of the Karma points Im a big girl and I can handle a few negative grades , from what I have seen the majority of the people on this forum are mature enough to handle it . It's a very Interesting experiment. :sp

A wise person once said " It's fine to sit on the fence so long as you know which side your climbing down on."

So I would love to see it kept but please everyone be brave and give it a go. :s02

Kismit.

I like your wise man thought, it's so sensible! :s6

I reckon it could be open to a lot of abuse tho,

If every1 was as honest etc on this forum then I'd vote keep it, but.......

Susi

PS nic came about cos of variety of electronic equipment and Scotland and keyboard lol

It looks as though the majority of forum users would prefer if the Karma system remained off - and I tend to agree, anonymous positive and negative voting would probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

I'll leave it turned off for the time being.

:sk