Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's lowest camper van

Owlscrying

linked-image

A mechanic has driven into the record books by building the world's lowest camper van.

Andy Saunders and three friends converted the 7ft 8ins high VW Camper into a 3.3ft high version in just three days.

The "Van-Cake" is fully roadworthy and can reach speeds of 80mph, but is so small that it could be driven under car park barriers.

Mr Saunders, who converted the vehicle for a contest at a motoring festival, can be seen driving around his home town of Poole in Dorset in the van with his head sticking out of the roof.

"The challenge was to build the world's lowest van in just three days," he said. "We were up at 6am and worked for three full days - it was the hardest thing I've ever done. "It is roadworthy, does about 80mph and you could throw mattress in the back and sleep in it.

"We've applied to the Guinness Book of Records and they've indicated this is the world's lowest van."

The friends had to cut away 4.5ft of roof, put in a new steering system, lower the seat, move the handbrake and the gear stick and replace the fuel tank.

The 1980 Type 25 camper cost £1,000 and had 70,000 miles on the clock when transformed.

go

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hissie Sola

• theGhost_and_theDarkness

• Chasexc

• Kagit

Not sure why this was done, unless he wants to add a second floor to his garage.

This reminds me of the pop-up campers, the ones you tow behind your car.

Hah, there's even a little ladder on the side! :P

I couldn't help but laugh at that too

Hah, there's even a little ladder on the side! :P

:lol:

Yeah, I laughed rather hard at that as well. Still am, actually.

So. . .you can throw a mattress in the back and sleep in it. . .but whats the cover? I mean. ..do you just sleep in the back out in the open. . .or do you slip the top back on? Just the thought of that makes me claustrophobic. :blink:

I'm not claustrophobic or anything but sleeping on a mattress in the back of that.

So. . .you can throw a mattress in the back and sleep in it. . .but whats the cover? I mean. ..do you just sleep in the back out in the open. . .or do you slip the top back on? Just the thought of that makes me claustrophobic. :blink:

It does look a bit like a coffin. Maybe it is a vampire camper van! I bet that would be a huge succes, that way vampires could travel by night and sleep during the day without dragging that heavy uncomfortable coffin with them. B)

I would think that it's more accurately described as a camper car now.

I'm too claustrophobic for something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

his head is completely exposed;but he's got a windshield with wipers;don't think that that would be too useful,maybe it helps in parking...

could have built some sort of foldable or retractable windshield