Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you reading?

Naveed

and nurture that doubt of any dogma that arises within science as well...

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Conan the Conqueror, R. E. Howard

This the only Howard's novel-length thing and it's good. Conan is a king of Aquilonia here and has to fight a powerful wizard.

The full title is Foresight: How the Chemistry of Life Reveals Planning and Purpose by Marcos Eberlin.  Small book of only 170 pages or so, will come out middle of May.

Only started reading it, but the amazing functioning of ion channels & water channels in part of the cell, is deep chemistry and beyond me.  But later chapters will deal with bugs & people etcetera.
Dr. Eberlin explores a gold rush of recent scientific discoveries that pose a grave challenge to modern evolutionary theory. Drawing on his expertise as former president of the International Mass Spectrometry Foundation, Dr. Eberlin uncovers a myriad of artful solutions to major engineering challenges in the biological realm, solutions that point beyond blind evolution to the workings of an attribute unique to minds — foresight.
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

The Wheel Of Time series… Again, and no I don’t like the amazon show. It’s garbage, the show not the book series.

• Like 1

I just bought Heroic Hearts  an anthology edited by Jim  Butcher and Kerrie L. Hughs.   I am planning on starting it today as I took the day off due to the electrician coming (soon, I hope) to change the breaker box.   

1 hour ago, newbloodmoon said:

The Wheel Of Time series… Again, and no I don’t like the amazon show. It’s garbage, the show not the book series.

I tried to read that series, got through book 3 when  I gave up.  For me a good story has the hero or protagonist in a better position than the start of the book and this one things just keep getting worse.  It reminded me of Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series.  I never finished that one either.

• Thanks 1

I'm reading 'The Night Guest' by Fiona McFarlane. It's about a woman living on her own in Australia, who may or may not have the beginnings of dementia. I've read it before but long ago enough to have forgotten most of the story. It's a very touching story; I totally get where she's coming from.

Does anyone want my copy of 'The Way of Wyrd' by Brian Bates, for free? Abramelin recommended it but I couldn't get on with it. If you don't mind giving me your name and address I will send it to you . . . UK only.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I tried to read that series, got through book 3 when  I gave up.  For me a good story has the hero or protagonist in a better position than the start of the book and this one things just keep getting worse.  It reminded me of Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series.  I never finished that one either.

My younger self would say “keep reading, it gets better”, now I simply nod my head and accept that you got three books in before deciding that the series wasn’t for you.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, ouija ouija said:

Does anyone want my copy of 'The Way of Wyrd' by Brian Bates, for free? Abramelin recommended it but I couldn't get on with it. If you don't mind giving me your name and address I will send it to you . . . UK only.

I did indeed recommend it, but that was for someone else though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I did indeed recommend it, but that was for someone else though.

Sorry, I should have been clearer about that. That was why I asked if anyone else would like it; just because I didn't get anywhere with it doesn't mean to say that someone else won't enjoy it as much as you did. :)

41 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer about that. That was why I asked if anyone else would like it; just because I didn't get anywhere with it doesn't mean to say that someone else won't enjoy it as much as you did. :)

Maybe this will help:

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Re-reading The Door Into Summer by Robert Heinlein. It has one of my favorite fictional felines by the name of Petronious the Arbiter.

This Day In Science Fiction

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

A friend lent me a copy of 'Friends in High Places' by Donna Leon and I loved it so much that I bought eight more of her books from ebay. Fast as I finish one I start another . . . I'm on my fifth already! They are crime thrillers set in Venice, Italy with the detective Bennetti as the central character.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

A friend lent me a copy of 'Friends in High Places' by Donna Leon...

I've been hearing good things about her... 

~

Anyhow... Since I am already here... 

He is chiefly known in the English-speaking world for his 1923 book The Prophet, an early example of inspirational fiction including a series of ...

~

• Like 1

Can’t go by Lord of the Rings …..of subject anybody tell me why I’m not allowed to post emojis… cheers

• 3 months later...

Just finished the first three Ann Cleeves Novels with detective Vera Stanhope.   The stories in the books are better than the television show.  

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Just finished the first three Ann Cleeves Novels with detective Vera Stanhope.   The stories in the books are better than the television show.  

I’ll have to check those out, thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, Antigonos said:

I’ll have to check those out, thanks.

You are welcome.   I think the detail makes the difference.   The books are long but easy to read.

• Thanks 1

The season of autumn naturally creates the perfect atmosphere every year for losing oneself in Gothic/Victorian ghost stories and mysteries. 

I love to sit by an open window on a darkened afternoon and listen to the wind rustle through the leaves, smelling the fall chill in the air or having the sound of falling rain as a backdrop as I read these timeIess tales.

Currently revisiting

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Carmilla by JS LeFanu, Valancourt edition 

The Complete Ghost Stories of M.R. James

The Family of the Vourderlak by Alexis Tolstoy

Dracula’s Guest by Bram Stoker

By J.S. LeFanu:

Uncle Silas, The Rose and the Key

Both Dover editions of his complete supernatural tales, including The Room in the Dragon Volant

The Adventure of the German Student by Washington Irving

Nonfiction:

Our Ladies of Darkness: Feminine Daemonology in Male Gothic Fiction by Joseph Adriano

Vampyres: From Lord Byron to Count Dracula by Christopher Frayling

Nightmare: The Birth of Victorian Horror by Christopher Frayling

Edited by Antigonos
  • Like 1