Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you reading?

Naveed

Just finished Robert Jordan's wheel of time series book seven.

Will start book eight on Monday.

Mrs. Peregrine's home for peculiar children was a recent read and was decent. I loved the photos.

Finished david eddings belgariad and mallorian less the last book of mallorean. Need to order it on Amazon or something.

Read under the dome by Steven king before that... huge storyline as far as characters. Pretty good. The first I've read of Steven king. I have dreamcatcher and the green mile waiting on my bookshelf for when I'm between series.

Before that was game of thrones up until the last released book... my thoughts? Meh! Not as impressed as others were. Writing changed after book three to add fluff.... wasn't too thrilled with some of the ages of characters in the book. I found it unnecessary and distasteful.

Before that I read the first book in a series which was borrowed to me called enders game... I really enjoyed that book. I don't usually read spacey science fiction stuff but this one hooked me.

Wow did I just babble or what... LOL

As of an hour ago I'm not reading anything so really I should have waited til Monday to post I suppose.

Michael Cordy: The Colour Of Death.

Btw the Leather book was the first I've seem without chapters.

Finished Stephen Kings Salems Lot, now Im reading Mitchio Kakus Parallel World and HIgher Dimensions

The Beast With Five Fingers - W. F. Harvey. I had this Wordsworth copy lying about for a couple of months now. It has 45 short stories. I have just read the book's title story and it was brilliant equally amusing and creepy about a wealthy eccentric family more specifically about a man and his recently deceased uncle's hand thus the beast with five fingers.

I bought 6 more of Wordsworth's series of mystery and supernatural writers and am going to buy a few more during my next shop for books.

• Like 1

Just finished Storm of Swords, by George R.R. Martin, book 3 of a Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones, if you've only seen the TV show).

At the moment I'm rereading Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson), book 13 of Wheel of Time. When that's done I'll finally be able to get book 14 and finish a series I've been waiting 20 years to see.

Then I'll start on Feast for Crows (book 4 of a Song of Ice and Fire).

I'm also amusing myself with Dr Dale's A-Z of zombies, but that's just for fun. And of course, I'm always trying the Bible, but I'm not sure that counts in a thread like this.

~ Regards,

My neighbour's Electricity Meter.

Just finished Storm of Swords, by George R.R. Martin, book 3 of a Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones, if you've only seen the TV show).

At the moment I'm rereading Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson), book 13 of Wheel of Time. When that's done I'll finally be able to get book 14 and finish a series I've been waiting 20 years to see.

Then I'll start on Feast for Crows (book 4 of a Song of Ice and Fire).

I'm also amusing myself with Dr Dale's A-Z of zombies, but that's just for fun. And of course, I'm always trying the Bible, but I'm not sure that counts in a thread like this.

~ Regards,

The George R.R. Martin books are astounding. So dark. Tyrion is one of the best characters I've encountered anywhere.

Though I would advise you to put off reading the rest for a year or two, or you will have a torturous few years (maybe more) waiting on the next.

Personally I don't think he'll finish the series before he dies.

That's ok, ExpandMyMind, I'm used to authors not finishing a series in their lifetime. Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time) passed away several years ago, his wife found a shadow writer in Brandon Sanderson to finish - hence why I've waited 20 years to see a conclusion.

And yes, I agree that Tyrion is an amazing character. I've still got a couple of books to red anyway before that happens (I read them 17 years ago when I was in High School the TV series just got me interested in rereading them, plus the new book that came out). Honesty I hope Martin won't take forever to finish the series but it seems to be the way of things.

That's ok, ExpandMyMind, I'm used to authors not finishing a series in their lifetime. Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time) passed away several years ago, his wife found a shadow writer in Brandon Sanderson to finish - hence why I've waited 20 years to see a conclusion.

And yes, I agree that Tyrion is an amazing character. I've still got a couple of books to red anyway before that happens (I read them 17 years ago when I was in High School the TV series just got me interested in rereading them, plus the new book that came out). Honesty I hope Martin won't take forever to finish the series but it seems to be the way of things.

The George R.R. Martin books are astounding. So dark. Tyrion is one of the best characters I've encountered anywhere.

Though I would advise you to put off reading the rest for a year or two, or you will have a torturous few years (maybe more) waiting on the next.

Personally I don't think he'll finish the series before he dies.

That is one reason I am choosing not to finish the series. I think GRRM has lost inspiration to finish it.

I picked up AGOT and ACOK just before the ASOS hardback it the shelves. I then read ASOS and it was the best book of the series yet with some shocking developments resulting in the deaths of some main characters that I had been invested in over all three books.

Then I waited, and waited, and waited. When the fourth book hit the stand 5 or 6 years later, I didnt bother to read it. And then I heard reports and read reviews that GRRM has introduced loads more characters and POVs (ahem... like Jordan), there is a ton of filler and fluff while the story itself inches forward at a snailpace (ahem... like Jordan), and alot of pointless redundancy (ahem... like Jordan).

Now, when GRRM originally wrote the fourth book it had too many pages and he had to go back and re-edit the whole thing into two books instead of one. That is why it took so long but in effect probably one of the main reasons quality isnt up to par with the first three books. The series hasnt recovered from these delays and the re-edit of book four. And plus, maybe GRRM has lost inspiration to finish the series properly.

My neighbour's Electricity Meter.

Hey El! Welcome back! boris.jpg

That is one reason I am choosing not to finish the series. I think GRRM has lost inspiration to finish it.

I picked up AGOT and ACOK just before the ASOS hardback it the shelves. I then read ASOS and it was the best book of the series yet with some shocking developments resulting in the deaths of some main characters that I had been invested in over all three books.

Then I waited, and waited, and waited. When the fourth book hit the stand 5 or 6 years later, I didnt bother to read it. And then I heard reports and read reviews that GRRM has introduced loads more characters and POVs (ahem... like Jordan), there is a ton of filler and fluff while the story itself inches forward at a snailpace (ahem... like Jordan), and alot of pointless redundancy (ahem... like Jordan).

Now, when GRRM originally wrote the fourth book it had too many pages and he had to go back and re-edit the whole thing into two books instead of one. That is why it took so long but in effect probably one of the main reasons quality isnt up to par with the first three books. The series hasnt recovered from these delays and the re-edit of book four. And plus, maybe GRRM has lost inspiration to finish the series properly.

that's always the trouble with these kind of boooks. You'll find something interesting in a charity shoppe (where I get nearly all mine), and then you'll find it's "Book IV of the Sword of Damocles trilogy" or something, and so you'll have to get the first three before you can read that. It really does get rather tiresome. Particularly when they're about 700 pages each.

• Like 1

Despatches by Michael Herr. (For about the 6th. time!)

Preston and Child- Fever Dream

The Dead Of Night - The Ghost Stories Of Oliver Onions

The House On The Borderland - William Hope Hodgson (more than half read)

The Dunwich Horror And Others - Howard Phillips Lovecraft (half read)

• Like 1

Tell me about it !!!!!!

I ran out and got ADWD , finished it in two days and now I'm waiting for the next one .

I am happy to say that the series is by far the best I have ever read , such a huge scale of people and places !

If GRRM happends to die before the series is finished .... the night will be dark and full of terror :blush:

TiP.

• Like 1

Still reading The Dead Of Night: The Ghost Stories Of Oliver Onions

Plus; Who Fears The Devil by Manly Wade Wellman (a book entirely composed of the adventures of John Silver and his silver-stringed guitar who battles demons, ghouls, witches, and monsters in post-WWII Appalachia with his faith in God. These stories are rich and evocative in Appalachian folklore and traditions. This is my first time reading Wellman and he is said to one of the best!)

And Feed by Mira Grant. This book series was recommended to me as one of the finest zombie apocalypse literature written since World War Z. This isnt a series that is pure survival horror but takes place 20 years after the rising. It revolves around surviving bloggers using their investigative skills to uncover a governmental/global conspiracy behind the reasons for the zombies.

It is a trilogy.

Book 1: Feed

Book 2: Deadline

Book 3: Blackout

Book Zero: Countdown

Here is the author's site: Http://www.miragrant.com

Edited by B Jenkins