Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you reading?

Naveed

Another problem w/ Davinci code is points where the story hinges on a specific historical thingy.

and the history he references is just....wrong. you know? I finally just accepted this was an alternate universe, and it made it more easy to deal with

That's the problem I had with Dan Brown as well. The Da Vinci Code had been done to death for historical inaccuracy but his other Langdon novels have equal issues. A massive plot point in Angels and Demons revolved around made up history. I liked this book better then the Day Vinci Code, but the historical inaccuracy was jarring.

Just finished up Halo Effect by MJ Rose, reading Dragon and The Bear by Tom Clancy (jeeeeeesus is it dry and long.....much like highschool), and also starting a book called Blasphamy by douglas preston.

The Enemy Within, a history of Witch hunting, and The Founder of Christianity by C.H. Dodd.

Glad I'm not hunted anymore. That would make life a little... painful.

I'm currently reading 'The Woman Who Died a Lot' by Jasper Fforde

"Fun with Dick and Jane" - I've almost made it through... I need to finish it so I can take it back to the library...

It's only 57 years over due!

("Look look. See Spot.")

• Like 3

Sin City by Frank Miller

i finished reading titus groan, and moved on to gormenghast.

these books are pretty dang remarkable, and i can't believe i never tried to read them before

"Fun with Dick and Jane" - I've almost made it through... I need to finish it so I can take it back to the library...

It's only 57 years over due!

("Look look. See Spot.")

I'm sure I saw a video called something like that recently. I didn't know they'd made it into a movie .... :innocent:

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 2

i finished reading titus groan, and moved on to gormenghast.

these books are pretty dang remarkable, and i can't believe i never tried to read them before

oh yes, the first two are excellent. the third one, though, Titus Alone, goes rather off the boil somewhat, so I should leave it at those two.

• Like 1

I'm reading Hyperspace by Michio Kaku..

http://en.wikipedia....perspace_(book)

So far it's very accessible as far as science books go..

After this I plan on re-reading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking..

And then The Rebel by famous French-Algerian writer/journalist Albert Camus.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi

I've got two books on the go at the moment because one is light and funny and gives me a break from the other which is wonderful but kind of dense ..... concentrated.

The light funny one is 'Starter for Ten' which was David Nicholls' first novel(his later ones are equally good). 'Starter for Ten' is about a young man leaving home and starting a university course. Nicholls was the screenwriter for 'Rescue Me' and also 'I Saw You'. He also co-wrote the third series of 'Cold Feet'.

The other book is 'That Old Ace in the Hole' by Annie Proulx. There's only one of her books that I haven't read once I finish this ..... EEK! What will I do when I've read that?! 'Ace in the Hole' is a bit rambling but none the worse for that. The central character is Bob Dollar(Proulx likes her Dickensian names), who has a job he hates in 'panhandle' country, looking for suitable land to purchase for a company that runs massive hog farms. He has to do this undercover because the company is hated in the area he works in. The story has some funny moments and is packed with odd characters .... odd, but believable. Great stuff!

Common Sense, by Thomas Paine. I normally would get it as soft cover or ebook, but someone gave me a nice hardcover copy of it and Rights of Man. If only they hadn't replicated the original type face which makes it a bit hard to read at night.

• Like 2

Ringworld by Larry Niven. Still as good as when I first read it some years ago. He has fantastic imagination

Oh, I've just been reading that. Refreshing for sci fi in not only being one self contained volume rather than Book I of a trilogy of four, but also reasonably short.

Talking of which, I've just acquired Issaac Asimov's Foundation. I'll let you know how I get on. :santa:

• Like 1

Oh, I've just been reading that. Refreshing for sci fi in not only being one self contained volume rather than Book I of a trilogy of four, but also reasonably short.

Talking of which, I've just acquired Issaac Asimov's Foundation. I'll let you know how I get on. :santa:

I cannot even imagine sci-fi without Asimov, a genius, and much copied. I don't remember the name of the planet in Star Wars that held the Senate, but it is actually Asimov's Trantor. Some bad news about Ringworld if you did not already know. But it spawned two sequals, both increasing in size each time, and decreasing in quality I thought. The Ringworld Engineers is worth reading as it answers some questions, but The Ringworld Throne can be left on the shelf. Good reading with the Foundation series, big books, though I found they went by quite fast

• Like 1

Ringworld by Larry Niven. Still as good as when I first read it some years ago. He has fantastic imagination

That book still is in my mind, though I read it many years ago. I should re-read it. I've been buying old science fiction anthologies at a used bookstore here. I've read some very good short stories in them. "Mr. Boy", by James Patrick Kelly and especially "The Cairene Purse", by Michael Moorcock (both 1991) are just two that I won't easily forget.

oh yes, the first two are excellent. the third one, though, Titus Alone, goes rather off the boil somewhat, so I should leave it at those two.

i'm gonna be honest, i'll probably read it anyways. i cannot be stopped.

That book still is in my mind, though I read it many years ago. I should re-read it. I've been buying old science fiction anthologies at a used bookstore here. I've read some very good short stories in them. "Mr. Boy", by James Patrick Kelly and especially "The Cairene Purse", by Michael Moorcock (both 1991) are just two that I won't easily forget.

I have to say I am not familiar with the two books you mention, but certainly with other books by Moorcock, the Elric series and that with Hawkmoon, I see that as sort of steampunk before the word was invented, I think.

Just started the third book in The Expanse series... Abaddon's Gate, by James S.A. Corey. The first two were Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War. Good stuff in my opinion. Fairly realistic sc-fi adventure, but still with some alien mystery. Mankind has moved out into the solar system, with many people on Mars and on various moons, but still can't go faster than light. An organic substance of obviously alien origin is the plot device that ties all the books together so far, with the four person crew of a particular spaceship being the recurring characters. I'm not far into the book yet, but thumbs up to the series.

journey to the end of the night by louis-ferdinand celine

• 2 weeks later...

Son Of Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs